FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

C++ with the command line?, C++ for vista

speeDemon
firstly,Is there any way using which I can make/execute C++ programs with the help of the command line.
One thing I had in mind was to write the C++ code in a notepad file, and then somehow execute it using the command line. Other than that, is there any way to directly make C++ programs and then execute them in the command line?

Secondly, Could someone please name a good compiler for C++ which will work on Vista home premium? please, I'm desperate!!
I don't wan't all sorts of fancy features, I just want all the main header files and want it to work in a 64 bit OS.
fladry
You can do the first thing with a c++ interpreter. You don't have to save the file. But it is very limited. And, Doesn't dev c++ work in vista? if it works, try it. It is free.
speeDemon
fladry wrote:
You can do the first thing with a c++ interpreter. You don't have to save the file. But it is very limited. And, Doesn't dev c++ work in vista? if it works, try it. It is free.

I got visual studio express for the coding work, and it works alright after I got past through some big problems.(btw, I wanted to ask some stuff about visual studio, if you think you can help, then please say so)

In case of the interpreter thing, could you give me a detailed example of how I can use one?
snowboardalliance
I'd recommend MingW. It uses the popular GCC compiler on Windows. It is a compiler which you can run on the command line using make files to generate executables. I think it's what you want.

Also, Code::Blocks is a really good IDE which uses MingW and I'd highly recommend it.

And if you are using Visual Studio instead, you don't need another compiler. (Also, if you are a university student, you don't need express, you can get the full version for free with a .edu email)
speeDemon
Actually I am participating in a competition, and I don't really know if the required software will be preinstalled, so I wanted a simple way using which I could run a C++ program without the hassle of having certain softwares. What I mean is that, I wanted a way using which I could use some standard files which come with the OS(in my case windows XP), and without any extra software could use the primary files of the OS as per my requirement.
snowboardalliance
speeDemon wrote:
Actually I am participating in a competition, and I don't really know if the required software will be preinstalled, so I wanted a simple way using which I could run a C++ program without the hassle of having certain softwares. What I mean is that, I wanted a way using which I could use some standard files which come with the OS(in my case windows XP), and without any extra software could use the primary files of the OS as per my requirement.

That's not built into Windows.

You should ask whomever runs the competition about what software environment will be available. I think most competitions give you some kind of IDE/compiler set up, but I'm sure they could give you more information than anyone here could.