FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Referral Link

dapopeyoh
Hi. I would just like to suggest some sort of a referral link for registering with frihost in exchange for points or coins for instance, if I refer someone to frihost, I will be given points or coins. Tnx
Bondings
I'm thinking of implementing this, yes. It might attract quite some new members and would be a way to gain some (easy) coins/points.

However, it would most likely only be after the new member makes some posts.

Oh and in practice, do you think it would be ok if there is a field where the new user needs to put the referrer username or should it be a system with a referral link (which is way harder to make)?
dapopeyoh
Although it is much harder to make it a system with a referral link, but I think it is better because sometimes, the new users might not enter the username of the person who referred them to frihost. I can tell because I have seen many people do it. So if it's not too much trouble I think a system would be better.
deanhills
This is really a great idea. I'm all for it. However, could there be a possibility of abuse of the system? What is to prevent someone less than ethical from creating multiple user IDs from different computers and do some posts? Would Frihost be able to write a code that can detect this?
Ghost Rider103
I also like this idea and I think this would definitely improve actual new user registration and not bots registering.

Maybe it would be a good idea to reward the referred user some double coins or points if they register under another users name. This way new users will want to use the system.

I don't think there would really be any way to tell whether or not someone is creating accounts from other computers. If the computers are all in the same house then their IP's might be very close to the same and it might register under the same IP, but I don't think that is very likely. But I don't know much about that so I could be wrong.
dapopeyoh
Hmm I don't really think the system would detect if someone is creating multiple accounts, but I would like to know if that would affect the system. because if someone creates multiple accounts from different computers, he/she has to post in the forum to keep all the accounts active which I think is not affecting the system negatively. Five people creating one account each and keeping them active is the same as one person creating five accounts and keeping them active (I think). Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
mahirh
dapopeyoh wrote:
Hmm I don't really think the system would detect if someone is creating multiple accounts, but I would like to know if that would affect the system. because if someone creates multiple accounts from different computers, he/she has to post in the forum to keep all the accounts active which I think is not affecting the system negatively. Five people creating one account each and keeping them active is the same as one person creating five accounts and keeping them active (I think). Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

that would be great idea , people could refer other people but if the other people are not regularly posting he would not get point bonus for that
adri
deanhills wrote:
What is to prevent someone less than ethical from creating multiple user IDs from different computers and do some posts?

It's probably smarter to just post with your own account and get those points directly.

Well I would make it like this:
Person 1 invited person 2 to Frihost. Well then person 1 gets his points according to the quality of the first five posts of person 2..

Example: Person 2 makes 5 posts with points:
post 1: 3
post 2: 5
post 3: 2
post 4: 3,5
post 5: 3,5

Sum: 17points.
Let's say the formula of the points you get is (sum of the points of person)/2. So person one gets 8,5 points. So if a person would create a second account, there would be no benefits or whatsoever for the first account of that person, because you only get half of the points of the posts you make on your second account. Smile It also is a stimulation for inviting active members, because you'll have more benefit of inviting an active member than a person who just makes some onliners for you. Smile

adri
deanhills
dapopeyoh wrote:
Well, it may still be worth that person's while to post in the five accounts, as he/she may only need to do that until the coins have been earned.
adri
dapopeyoh wrote:
Five people creating one account each and keeping them active is the same as one person creating five accounts and keeping them active (I think). Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Nah, it's not the same because five different people have five different opinions whilst one person has one opinion and you would get topics where you get one decent post (with the opinion) and four other posts (of the other accounts of that member) with 'Yeah I totally agree', 'I was thinking the same thing'.

Such things are only good for the frihost stats but not for a discussion in general. Smile

adri Wink
watersoul
I suppose creating multiple accounts and regularly posting "5 pointers" is certainly do-able, but wow, that would require so much hard work, and possibly the assistance of some kind of Dissociative identity disorder.

Personally I'd say it is far easier to build my own points in a single account with truthful opinions that I don't have to think carefully about in each post. To lie or deceive takes a good memory, and it would just seem too much effort to me. OK, if the "coins" were actually made of gold and transferred direct by Fed-ex to my home, maybe I'd have a go, but otherwise, no.

I reckon I'd also maybe sense if someone was "multiple personality posting" after a while. People have a certain individual writing style usually, and if they were long posts, most people would notice in time. Unless they stuck to "I agree with that" or "I've felt the same myself" type of one liner replies, but then that would defeat the object as it would take ages to build points like that?
ocalhoun
watersoul wrote:

Personally I'd say it is far easier to build my own points in a single account with truthful opinions that I don't have to think carefully about in each post. To lie or deceive takes a good memory, and it would just seem too much effort to me.

Well, you could make it easier by just compartmentalizing...
Have one account for posting in general chat, one for philosophy & religion, one for politics, one for computer/technical stuff, et cetera. ^.^
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Have one account for posting in general chat, one for philosophy & religion, one for politics, one for computer/technical stuff, et cetera. ^.^
A good one Smile Would probably have to be someone with plenty of spare time on their hands as well!
Ankhanu
Bondings wrote:
I'm thinking of implementing this, yes. It might attract quite some new members and would be a way to gain some (easy) coins/points.

However, it would most likely only be after the new member makes some posts.

This is how referrals work in a browser game I play. It's a level based game, and referrers don't get their points until the referred player reaches level 25, then level 50, 75 and 100. If the referred player doesn't stick around, the referrer doesn't get a reward.
It encourages both signing up and retention.

Bondings wrote:
Oh and in practice, do you think it would be ok if there is a field where the new user needs to put the referrer username or should it be a system with a referral link (which is way harder to make)?

Either system for the referral works pretty well, as long as the username system will properly refer to the user in the board DB... that might be easier via link.
Bondings
I've been thinking about this. It might indeed bring a lot of new users to Frihost, so I'll regard this as one of the more urgent new stuff that is needed for Frihost. Of course I would like to finish the competitions first (and have a few of those) and finally change the home page to fit the forums design and put all the new stuff on (competitions, domains, ...). And a few behind the stuff things.

About the actual implementation, although filling in a username might be the easiest thing to code, I will probably completely not do that, not even in combination with a referral link. Why? Because I would like to keep the registration form/page as simple as possible. Having a field to put a referrer username in is quite confusing for most people. Besides, a referral link is the easiest to use for the users, I think.

Also, I would love to make it coupled with a posts quality reviewal system (not just raw posts count). At the moment, we check the quality of the posts of new members who request hosting. I think we should make that more general for all users and at several times (like at 10, 50 and 100 posts). If the posts are decent enough, the referrer would get a reward. And if not, a warning can be issued that the user should make better posts, if needed.
watersoul
ocalhoun wrote:
watersoul wrote:

Personally I'd say it is far easier to build my own points in a single account with truthful opinions that I don't have to think carefully about in each post. To lie or deceive takes a good memory, and it would just seem too much effort to me.

Lol, that is pretty devious, but yep, definitely easier to do!
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
I've been thinking about this. It might indeed bring a lot of new users to Frihost, so I'll regard this as one of the more urgent new stuff that is needed for Frihost. Of course I would like to finish the competitions first (and have a few of those) and finally change the home page to fit the forums design and put all the new stuff on (competitions, domains, ...). And a few behind the stuff things.

Which brings to mind...
It might be good to have an 'admin to do list' visible to everyone, with everything that's being worked on listed by priority.

It would help people understand why their suggestion isn't implemented yet, and it would cut down on suggesting things that are already in progress.
Ankhanu
Bondings wrote:
Also, I would love to make it coupled with a posts quality reviewal system (not just raw posts count). At the moment, we check the quality of the posts of new members who request hosting. I think we should make that more general for all users and at several times (like at 10, 50 and 100 posts). If the posts are decent enough, the referrer would get a reward. And if not, a warning can be issued that the user should make better posts, if needed.

This is a really good idea/system... but it sounds like an aweful lot of work for you guys. Unfortunately, I really don't have a suggestion for how it could be streamlined.
Bondings
@Ankhanu, yes it might be a lot of work. However, it is not that hard to check the posts of someone, unless you need it done really thoroughly. It's already been done for everyone who requests hosting (usually 5-15 posts).

ocalhoun wrote:
It might be good to have an 'admin to do list' visible to everyone, with everything that's being worked on listed by priority.

It would help people understand why their suggestion isn't implemented yet, and it would cut down on suggesting things that are already in progress.

I just made a small list here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-120508.html . It only includes things that are planned in the short term. And I don't mind people suggesting something that is already planned or being worked on. Even if it is just to know that people want it (or not) or for ideas.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Which brings to mind...
Brilliant idea Ocalhoun, as per usual.

ocalhoun wrote:
Agreed. It may also be helpful if those suggestions that don't look worthy of consideration can be responded to and locked. Those who do make suggestions can then get a good idea of suggestions that are worthy of consideration and those that are not.
webpinoy
I just found this post cause I was wondering if Frihost has not already such a referral link. I am happy with the perfomance and the free server here and will recommend it. I will do it with or without "reward" - but of course it would be nice if refer people to Frihost would bring some points... Very Happy
sonam
Quote:
Agreed. It may also be helpful if those suggestions that don't look worthy of consideration can be responded to and locked. Those who do make suggestions can then get a good idea of suggestions that are worthy of consideration and those that are not.

Maybe one link "LOCKED" what will display all locked post (in suggestion forum) will also help members to stop posting something what is many time before suggested ans closed for some reason.

BTW I like this idea with referral link.

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
Maybe one link "LOCKED" what will display all locked post (in suggestion forum) will also help members to stop posting something what is many time before suggested ans closed for some reason.
I suggested something like this a very long while ago, but more in a general sense, I just wanted the Locked Threads to be grouped together. I was not thinking in terms of using this as preventive action, that is a different suggestion and an interesting one. However, do you think Frihosters will check through the "locked threads" Section to learn what is OK and what is not OK? If they were as responsible as that, would it not be easier to search on the topic through the search feature? As suggested in the stickie thread by Bondings? Although, I also have to admit, I sometimes don't even look at the stickie threads. My eyes are always automatically focused on the regular threads that are available for posting. For example, there is a good stickie in this Forum of how to go about making a Suggestion. Do you think newbies always look at the Stickie threads?

In retrospect, I don't have any problems with locked threads any longer. The only problem I have with locked threads is when the locked thread was fairly young and closed because of the subject of the thread (rather than content of the postings), and there are only two, three or less postings in the thread that do not say that much. I'd rather see a thread like that completely canned.
sonam
Quote:
However, do you think Frihosters will check through the "locked threads" Section to learn what is OK and what is not OK?

Actually I think you are right. Maybe this idea is not very useful. Confused

Sonam