FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


'Follow your heart', who made it?





speeDemon
Well, I guess the title is a bit misleading. What I really wanted to talk about was the fact that our heart is considered to be a part of us, which tells us what we want, and not what is logically correct. What i mean is that in english people say "follow your heart", in my country in hindi we say "Apne dil ki suno" which translates to "listen to your heart", but it basically means the same.

Howcome people around the world came up with a similar 'meaning' or whatever you want to call it for our hearts? I mean we could say something else.. maybe about some other part, though it may sound funny now that we've been listening to the same phrase for so long. Any reasons out there?
Bikerman
It goes back as far as history. The heart is the one organ which we can feel functioning. We can feel our own heartbeat and we would therefore know that it speeds up and slows down according to emotional state, amongst other things. It would be natural, therefore, to associate it with emotion.
Aristotle didn't help - he considered the heart to be the seat of reason - rejecting the role of the brain.
deanhills
There has also been a movie with Clint Eastwood after a heart transplant. Blood Work (2002). In the movie a retired FBI profiler gets flash backs of the violent event when the woman, whose heart he received in a transplant, had been killed by a gunman.

Probably like a "gene". For humans in general the heart is the centre of our being. And the seat of our feelings.

Personally I'm mostly connected with my head, I can't "feel" feelings coming from the heart. If there are emotions they "feel" as though they are mostly from the mind.
ankitdatashn
According to what I can make out, I believe it started from the Shakespearean age. As far as I can remember I studied something like that in my school time, not totally sure though...
LittleBlackKitten
"Heart" is also a word for the core or center of an object. The heart of a tree, the heart of an artichoke, heart of lettuce, the list goes on. These sayings aren't referring literally to the organ, but rather your core, your middle, your soul, your heart...
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
"Heart" is also a word for the core or center of an object. The heart of a tree, the heart of an artichoke, heart of lettuce, the list goes on. These sayings aren't referring literally to the organ, but rather your core, your middle, your soul, your heart...
Another good one ..... thanks LittleBlackKitten. The word could also be used non-literally? Like "the heart of the matter". Basically it is probably where physically everything comes together as well, Physical Central station.
_AVG_
Yeah, and in some contexts, the word "heart" can be used to refer to the "soul" of something.

For example,
"Have you no heart?"
"You heartless wretch!"
etc.

Literally, they mean to say that somebody is so cold that they do not have a soul - this is also a comparison - comparing being warm-blooded to having a soul (which comes back to the heart again). And yes, finally, a similar comparison is that of associating a certain kind of warmth with one's soul.
standready
Good question and replies but I don't have an answer. Does that make me heartless?
Bluedoll
The best that I could come up with in a search was that the heart has origins with greek ‘cardio’ with 'acardia' meaning no heart, the most figurative senses are intellect, memory.

In the context, ''listen to you heart'' , tells me that emotions have a great deal to do with the heart but there are also other factors as well.
watersoul
To me, its pretty simple - when I "feel" happiness, sadness, love, pain etc, I actually have an awareness of a feeling in my chest, near my heart. (and curiously my stomach as well at times)

Where I actually process those feelings though, is in my mind, and the person I "know" when I think rationally to myself is then felt as an experience inside my head.

For me, to "follow my heart" is to react to the feelings inside my chest and not my head - not always the most sensible choice though sometimes Wink
c'tair
People have associated the heart with the resting place of the soul for a long time. It's come into our languages and is often used as a metaphor for that reason, I think. And metaphors evolve, so even if we now know that our consciousness is located in our brains, the heart still have more powerful imagery associated with it.
missdixy
watersoul wrote:
To me, its pretty simple - when I "feel" happiness, sadness, love, pain etc, I actually have an awareness of a feeling in my chest, near my heart. (and curiously my stomach as well at times)


I was about to bring up the stomach point. I for one tend to feel my emotions more in my stomach so it would make more sense to me (if we're going by the old days) to imagine the 'heart' really being the stomach. Hmmm.
Bikerman
You can find that belief as well. Much of Eastern philosophy emphasises the stomache. The whole notion of 'chi' is an example - chi originates in the stomache.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
To me, its pretty simple - when I "feel" happiness, sadness, love, pain etc, I actually have an awareness of a feeling in my chest, near my heart. (and curiously my stomach as well at times)

Where I actually process those feelings though, is in my mind, and the person I "know" when I think rationally to myself is then felt as an experience inside my head.

For me, to "follow my heart" is to react to the feelings inside my chest and not my head - not always the most sensible choice though sometimes Wink
I also get an awareness in my chest, but have not felt any in my stomach really. Who knows, maybe stomach is a good sign of the feelings being more evenly distributed, if that can make any sense at all? When I do get those feelings, I don't really know what to do with them, as I wonder whether they are just imaginary? I always need to make sense with my head first, before I can really validate them.
Bluedoll
“I have a gut feeling about this that I may be right but a little birdie told me to be careful. Still in my heart I have to say just one thing, figuratively speaking of course. Our bodies may touch for a physical reason but in my mind we remain apart until a passionate kiss declares it is more than only that,” said Bluedoll.

Follow your heart.
Who made it?
Lovers
Ghost900
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
"Heart" is also a word for the core or center of an object. The heart of a tree, the heart of an artichoke, heart of lettuce, the list goes on. These sayings aren't referring literally to the organ, but rather your core, your middle, your soul, your heart...


Very nice observation.

It is possible that the term heart is being used more for the core of us than the actual heart. I think many of your statements bring supporting ideas about why we use this term quite often. I think that the term heart often refers more to the soul than the heart itself which works with the heart being the core or center of the person.
timothymartin
If the heart is the 'feeler' and the stomach is the 'knower', we could all be scarecrows.. Wink
TurtleShell
deanhills wrote:
There has also been a movie with Clint Eastwood after a heart transplant. Blood Work (2002). In the movie a retired FBI profiler gets flash backs of the violent event when the woman, whose heart he received in a transplant, had been killed by a gunman.

Probably like a "gene". For humans in general the heart is the centre of our being. And the seat of our feelings.

Personally I'm mostly connected with my head, I can't "feel" feelings coming from the heart. If there are emotions they "feel" as though they are mostly from the mind.


Does anyone remember that TV show, Eerie Indiana? This was a show I loved as a kid. I think it was only on for one or two seasons. One episode I specifically remember involved a heart transplant. Two boys end up with a crush on the same girl with a heart defect. When one of the boys dies in an accident, the love interest girl gets his heart in a transplant, and then the heart ends up getting in the way of the still living boy pursuing the love-interest-heart-transplant girl, because every time she comes near him her heart starts beating faster and giving her problems, etc. Great show anyway.
standready
TurtleShell wrote:
Does anyone remember that TV show, Eerie Indiana?

<<<< I remember that show, I wonder why? laugh!
soljarag
what if someone has a heart transplant from someone who was always depressed... would they be depressed too?
deanhills
TurtleShell wrote:
Does anyone remember that TV show, Eerie Indiana? This was a show I loved as a kid. I think it was only on for one or two seasons. One episode I specifically remember involved a heart transplant. Two boys end up with a crush on the same girl with a heart defect. When one of the boys dies in an accident, the love interest girl gets his heart in a transplant, and then the heart ends up getting in the way of the still living boy pursuing the love-interest-heart-transplant girl, because every time she comes near him her heart starts beating faster and giving her problems, etc. Great show anyway.
Sounds like a wonderful and very original story. Missed that one unfortunately, wish I could have seen it.
soljarag wrote:
what if someone has a heart transplant from someone who was always depressed... would they be depressed too?
Would be interesting to find how many depressed heart donors there really are. Looks as though hearts are mostly harvested from accident victims who were in great health at the time. Who knows, they could have suffered from depression too. I have difficulty to believe however that that should make the one who received the heart transplant depressed, but then I'm no expert. Some people say all of our bodies are interrelated and that what is in the mind resonates in the heart and vice and versa. I have an open mind, but so far have not seen any real evidence that would suggest that the donor could impact the person who receive the heart transplant to that extent. May also be difficult to prove, as a heart transplant is a major operation, and it takes a while to recover from it, and all the medication the patient has to take, and lack of exercise may cause depression as well. Smile
Related topics
If Hardly Davidson made Computers instead of Motorcycles...
Frankfurt Motor Show, 2005
Anyone like "Dune"
islam is...
India Won : Dravid Man of Match
Job that u wouldn't mind doing for the rest of your life
Why do you all hate God?
Rang De Basanti - Hindi Movie
"Why I published those cartoons" [mocking fascism]
Situation, Need Advice...
Spark or compatibility?
Did you convert?
What Does It Mean To "Follow Your Heart"?
Arab Revolts
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.