FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I got a question about the webspace!!

ldnet
Ok, like i just read that post where the guy asked for like 500 mb of space from 250mb but can anyone tell me how the hell do u run out of 250mb of space? compared to any other site 250mb is alot alot of space for me, but i just wanna know what people do to fill up 250mb and need like 500mb of space can anyone tell me?
matt87
Ya, I think people are able to fill up that space quite easily by placing pictures and other types of media that takes a great deal of space. I know when I use to run my web site a while back I use to use more then 400mb of space. It may seem hard for you maybe because you don't have that much material to cover up the space. When you run a business using a web site you dont use a small amount of megabytes but you use even gigabytes of space.
dan751
ldnet wrote:
Ok, like i just read that post where the guy asked for like 500 mb of space from 250mb but can anyone tell me how the hell do u run out of 250mb of space? compared to any other site 250mb is alot alot of space for me, but i just wanna know what people do to fill up 250mb and need like 500mb of space can anyone tell me?

It depends greatly on what you are using the space for, if it's something like a personal website, than you would never need more than 250MB, but say for a big forum, like a clan or something, with lots and lots of users, then it can easily start to take up space. 1 of my forums is already 22MB big.
babumuchhala
Personally 250 MB is more than enough. I have taken up abt 45 MB & tats because i got 2 forums 1 main another back up & testing one.

One can always run out of such space easily, if the site is on graphics & viedos & stuff. Even legal stuff can fill it up. One of the members on a forum i vist wants 2 GB space. WHY bcos he has a site with all the wallpaers of celebs. Nothing illegal abt it. Its basically graphics that will take up your space and not just normal space.

One of our mods(wont name him) uses 100 MB space. What he got on his space is just forums with hardly anymembers. And if u wonder what he's doin with them is testing & making phpBB mods Smile

matt87 wrote:
When you run a business using a web site you dont use a small amount of megabytes but you use even gigabytes of space.
What the hell would u be doing on a free host if it involves money Rolling Eyes

dan751 wrote:
It depends greatly on what you are using the space for, if it's something like a personal website, than you would never need more than 250MB, but say for a big forum, like a clan or something, with lots and lots of users, then it can easily start to take up space. 1 of my forums is already 22MB big.
If ur forum becomes that big that it needs 100 MB of space it would be wiser to move on to a paid host, and if it grows more big say habing reuests on 10000~20000 pages a day better have a dedicated server for it Smile

Plus one more thing, this shouldnt have been in Suggestions forum so i would request the mods to move it in the General Section please Smile
Jack_Hammer
I would think for a simple website 250mb is way more than enough space, though I am thinking of making a music video site Embarassed which will take up a rather lot of space (Even though each indavidual video is only 8mb or less (yes highly compreesed) it's still means having only about 40 of them), but then again 250mb for nothing!?, come on most free hosting give you about 4-12mb of space...
dan751
Jack_Hammer wrote:
I would think for a simple website 250mb is way more than enough space, though I am thinking of making a music video site Embarassed which will take up a rather lot of space (Even though each indavidual video is only 8mb or less (yes highly compreesed) it's still means having only about 40 of them), but then again 250mb for nothing!?, come on most free hosting give you about 4-12mb of space...

Are you sure that Bondings is ok with that?
LostOverThere
Just a question, what are you going to use 500mb for?
waiteck
THe person could have put files and left them for downloads. Perhaps backing up some oif his important stuff.
falconfx
waiteck wrote:
Perhaps backing up some oif his important stuff.

I'd never use a webspace for storing my personal data, first for my privacy, second for a black-out risk. I bet you wouldn't be happy if all your important data suddenly were missed forever.
Nameless
250mb may sound like a lot, but if you are storing things like videos it really isn't that much at all. By the time it's finished my machinima series could easily take up three times that. If I had more space, it means when I've made more videos I could store more at once online.
michelhuisman
for backups 250 isn't much.. my folder documents is about 2 gig! Confused
hostingplus
500MB that is easy to use up u know,on my previous host i managed to use up 750mb but now i don't have that much file storage to use up so i am safe. Still 250 is quite a lot for a personal website ut if you want to make a website for a company a big company i mean then you should try to get 1 gb of storage but if it is massive try and get a couple of gigabytes. Trust me those big companies use up all of this space.
engeland
Yeap 250mb could be quite little if you have alot of files to store. We're talking picture,video,music files. Not the html stuff, coz those are small.

If you were to have gallery in yoursite under on the three galleries given in fantastico, you'd know what i mean. I opend one, and uploading original size pictures makes the 250mb insufficient. That's coz original size pictures are in MB. My original pictures are 5mb in size.

so yea, dealing with those files could take up space. but i doubt you could finish up 250mb with only text and webpages in your site Laughing
babumuchhala
Just to tell u using frihost to back up your stuff is against the TOS

TOS wrote:
B) Rules and restrictions
1. MP3 and other music files are forbidden on our servers. No exceptions will be made.
2. We are neither an image host, file storage or downloads website. Uploading of big files is forbidden. All accounts with high traffic and/or high occupation of space will be checked.

So please do not violate the TOS
salvin18
well even a large database of thousands entries can take a few mb then why are u so tensed up abt 250 mb?
salvin18
by the way, why u need to store large media files online????
when u have a 40 or 80 or 160 gb hdd????
Grimboy
If you want to use lots of media storage best off using a site like http://www.putfile.com/.
TreadStone
people use some other stuff you dont use may be ???I also think 250 mb is enough