FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why old pain come back during winters?

hunnyhiteshseth
Have you ever noticed that if you have an injury in some joint and even after healing the pain in that joint come back during winters although in a mild form. Why does it happen? What changes in the body that body again starts to feel pain in old injury during winters?
deanhills
I'm not an expert ... but I'm going to give this a try. I would imagine if we were cold and if there wasn't sufficient heating, blood would flow away from our extremities to warm up the essential parts in priority. The warm blood that was previously available in the "old injured" areas, would no longer be available.
hunnyhiteshseth
But old injured areas must have healed by the time winter hits - but the pain from injury that happened many years before also comes back.
menino
Yes, I have some old injuries and a few scars and bruises that hurt more in winter.
My doc told me at the time is because of constriction of the blood vessels, and the skin, as well as the ligaments, which otherwise would flow freely.
In that sense, the injury is never 100% healed... I mean as long as you have a scar there.
If its a joint, there must have been some wear, which has not completely healed.

I guess the temperature difference gives us a reminder that we shoudn't exert more strain on the injuries.. and as a reminder of how we got those wounds. Confused
LittleBlackKitten
All injuries, except for cuts and bruises, causes some length of permanent damage. This is most evident in the elements, especially cold. When barometric pressure is low, or shifting to low, this is when cold or rainy or windy weather is coming, and those with old injuries, arthritis, and athsma can feel the storms coming. This is just the body's way of reacting to barometric pressure. Even those in perfect health can sense storms coming; perhaps their knees are a little sore, as compared to normal.
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
All injuries, except for cuts and bruises, causes some length of permanent damage. This is most evident in the elements, especially cold. When barometric pressure is low, or shifting to low, this is when cold or rainy or windy weather is coming, and those with old injuries, arthritis, and athsma can feel the storms coming. This is just the body's way of reacting to barometric pressure. Even those in perfect health can sense storms coming; perhaps their knees are a little sore, as compared to normal.
This is an interesting explanation. Particularly with regard to barometric pressure. I would be most interested to hear more details about this. Makes great sense to me. Smile
watersoul
I'd love to know the reason to this and possibly a prevention. I had 45 stitches in my hand covering some finger joints a few months ago (seeing tendons I shouldn't have seen) and after much painful self physio to be able to grip my kayak paddle again (and hold a pen at work), I'm kind of fixed now. I have noticed the recent drop in temp though, and I'm not looking forward to winter. So I just bought some neoprene gloves to try and counter-act what I'm expecting as more painful paddling.

If anyone knows the answer (with sources referenced) even if more rigerous painful physio/exercise of the affected area will help, I'd be grateful for the info.
jackjose
This is most obvious factors, especially cold. When atmospheric pressure is low, or moving to a low level, this is when the cold or rain or wind is coming, and old injuries, arthritis and athsma can feel the storm coming. This is just the bodies way of reacting to pressure.
Bluedoll
So true how weather can affect us. I've experienced it as well and known others to say the same thing. Could it also have something to do with other things relating to winter? I just find it amazing how so many things are connected together and affect us.
TVme
I have the same problem (yearly) and I think it's just plain old arthritis. Arthritis has many forms from mild to crippling and I think we have it. Looking at this source: http://www.prevea.com/display/Arthritis.nws , there are helpful hints, among them being eat healthy and not to drink too much alcohol. Arthritis is always worse when it's cold and I think that's why we suffer. (I have a lousy diet and drinks a bit.) As daunting as this sounds - improve your diet and see if the pain lessens. And if you drink - cut down a bit... if the pain subsides then you might have your answer. It's arthritis. Confused
Flakky
Your injury continues to be a weak spot. As the body no longer notices any damage, it will stop repairing though it isn't sufficient enough to solve it for good. It's has to do with the bloodflow. Better regulated bloodflow from the summer is better for your body. So the damage only appears in winter when bloodflow is more regulated to the parts of your body which demand more heat.

I think that long winters and regular visits to the sauna can cure this, as the body sees the damage as priority to repair and starts repairing. The sauna is the moment that your body relaxes and still feel the need to repair.
There are also warmth ingesting gels which can warm up certain parts. This helps with the pain as well.
deanhills
Flakky wrote:
Your injury continues to be a weak spot. As the body no longer notices any damage, it will stop repairing though it isn't sufficient enough to solve it for good. It's has to do with the bloodflow. Better regulated bloodflow from the summer is better for your body. So the damage only appears in winter when bloodflow is more regulated to the parts of your body which demand more heat.

I think that long winters and regular visits to the sauna can cure this, as the body sees the damage as priority to repair and starts repairing. The sauna is the moment that your body relaxes and still feel the need to repair.
There are also warmth ingesting gels which can warm up certain parts. This helps with the pain as well.
Couldn't it maybe be something to the equivalent of feeling a phantom leg when it is no longer there? Ditto phantom injury when it is no longer there?
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
Flakky wrote:

Couldn't it maybe be something to the equivalent of feeling a phantom leg when it is no longer there? Ditto phantom injury when it is no longer there?

Hmm, both interesting thoughts, I have a mate though, who lost one arm at the elbow and he gets some discomfort in the stump when it gets cold, but he gets those "imaginary" itches in the lost lower arm/hand at any time of the year - really annoys him sometimes as there's nothing there to be scratched.
Flakky
watersoul wrote:
Hmm, both interesting thoughts, I have a mate though, who lost one arm at the elbow and he gets some discomfort in the stump when it gets cold, but he gets those "imaginary" itches in the lost lower arm/hand at any time of the year - really annoys him sometimes as there's nothing there to be scratched.

I remember a news report about a man who had an itch on his leg and got hit by a car at that exact moment. He could not get rid of the itch. One doctor placed a fake leg and did some work with mirrors to trick his brain Very Happy