FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

About Bondings Page?

Blaster
Why not have a page that tells us a little about the man in charge around here?

It would be nice to have a mini auto-biography on the man that is running our hosts. It would be a bit interesting to see what his daily life is like
deanhills
You're probably aware that he was interviewed once, many years ago? And I think there have been others who suggested this in the past as well, just can't recall where. I did too on the odd occasion, as I think your idea is a great idea. However, get the feeling Bondings prefers his Website to speak for itself. And who knows, maybe keep us guessing! Smile

Gurdit's interview with Bondings
ocalhoun
Isn't that what Facebook is for?
Why go out of the way to design a Frihost page just for that?
Blaster
yea but facebook is private.

And dean i understand that but that interview is over 4 years old.
Bondings
I'll try to add some things to my user page. (located here: http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/ )

The reason it's so short is because I don't know what else to tell apart from things I wish to keep private. Wink
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
I'll try to add some things to my user page. (located here: http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/ )

The reason it's so short is because I don't know what else to tell apart from things I wish to keep private. Wink
So how about a follow of the "Gurdip" interview five years on? I thought the questions were great ones, not too invasive? I particularly liked the questions below, and it would be interesting to hear how you have progressed, for example you must have finished your studies by now? Or specializing in a specific field? Frihost must have changed a lot from 2006, and it would be interesting to hear your thoughts about the future, i.e. expanding on what you had commented before?

Quote:
Q2. With what aim did you start Frihost and is it living up to what you wanted it to be?
—I wanted my plans and dreams (I have a lot of them) to become reality and hence to start with something realistically possible for me to do at this moment. I wanted to create something useful, something to put my efforts in and realize that it is something I like to do, something I achieved on my own. (of course with help of moderators, but that’s not what I mean)
—May I ask what are the other plans and dreams you have?
—Building a search engine relying solely on some AI techniques, but rather in the form of asking questions, not search terms.

—Q5. What is the one incident about Frihost that you remember with the greatest pride/satisfaction and what is the one incident that you think is the darkest spot in its history?
—The greatest pride was the photoshop ‘contest’ with the alien already a long time ago. The darkest spot, pretty obviously the server crash with data loss.

—Q6. How much of your time does Frihost take up?
(Is it only free time or…?)
(Does it affect your studies?)
—It takes way too much of my time and I don’t want to even think about how much.
—(What about studies?)
—It doesn’t affect them, it does however take almost all my free time

—Q7. What is the future of Frihost? (Where do you realistically see it 5 years down the line, or even 10 years down the line?)
—5 years is a century for things on the internet, in 5 years, Google might be gone, in 10 years the internet as we know it today (html-http protocol) might be gone. I can hardly realistically predict more than a few years. I plan to further code a lot of things making Frihost much easier to manage and spend less time on every different part so that the time I have to spend on it doesn’t exponentially grow. If everything is set up, automated and easy to handle, I can dedicate my time to promote Frihost, set up events, contests and also finally continue with other plans and websites for which I don’t have time at the moment.

—Q8. And what does the future hold for you personally? (What are your plans for the future… if you have made any plans, whether solid or not…?)
—I don’t have any special plans but to graduate at the moment.
—And after that?
—Then I either will create my own company or try to get a job at another one.
—What kind of company are you thinking about?
—I don’t know yet. I have still some time to go.
Blaster
How about some things like what it is that you do for work... Stuff like that.. You don't have to be too private... Maybe how you got into hosting and how you started out stuff like that.
Bluedoll
zahd wrote:
good suggest

thanx for sharing

This a good suggestion. I have to admit, like perhaps most other people maybe, I joined frihost only because I thought I wanted some free web space and the idea of a regular mandatory forum was appealing because it would “encourage” me to post. I had no idea what I was getting into, who people were were or what frihost.com/forum was all about! I just jumped in with two feet and well here I am! Who is Bondings? Yes, it would be good to know.

Quote:
I like to do, something I achieved on my own. (of course with help of moderators, but that’s not what I mean) – Bondings

I know that feeling and appreciate Bondings insight to realize building something requires a ‘team’ effort.
Vrythramax
We also have the About Us on the website that introduces (some) of the staff. Bondings is at the top of the page (of course). He doesn't say much there either Sad
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
We also have the About Us on the website that introduces (some) of the staff. Bondings is at the top of the page (of course). He doesn't say much there either Sad
I guess we will just have to accept that he is a man of few words. He likes to get the Website to do the talking for him? Guess one of the many offsetting positives is that when he does say something, everyone takes notice. Smile
Blaster
Vrythramax wrote:

the copyrite on that page says 07... Just throwing it out there...
LittleBlackKitten
Could we maybe stick in a bio section for EVERY user to fill out, with some basic lists and an about me section? Like "Favorite color of _____ is: Favorite food of ______ is: _____ believes in: _____ prefers this operating system:"
watersoul
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Could we maybe stick in a bio section for EVERY user to fill out, with some basic lists and an about me section? Like "Favorite color of _____ is: Favorite food of ______ is: _____ believes in: _____ prefers this operating system:"

That actually did make me laugh, totally know what you mean there, but those topics can be interesting even if they are a bit child-like in depth.

People are able to put such details on their profile though, I at least give an indication of which bit of the planet I am on...I see no description on many others though (not even the nation/country) and can only guess from the posts they make Wink
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
I see no description on many others though (not even the nation/country) and can only guess from the posts they make Wink
Probably because not everyone would like to share their personal information. They may prefer to post in an anonymous capacity otherwise they may not be able to speak up as freely as they do.

For those who would like to share their own details, why not just start a blog, or a personal Website, and then put a link in the signature? Think Bluedoll does that quite successfully.
LittleBlackKitten
I still think there needs to be a designated "Bio" section for everyone...
Blaster
I know what you mean. Other forums have this option. It could be an about me thing though in the blog system here. That would work just fine. Thats kind of what I did before.
LittleBlackKitten
On the profiles themselves would work better, because some people don't use blogs, like myself. It wouldn't be inclusive to those who don't use blogs.
ocalhoun
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I still think there needs to be a designated "Bio" section for everyone...

It's called the 'Introductions' forum.
There, you can make a whole topic about yourself, give any details you want, and people can even post comments about it.
LittleBlackKitten
But I don't want it in a random topic in a random forum I wanted it on my user lookup.
Bikerman
Frih is an anonymous system and I think it would be a very bad idea indeed to implement a user biography facility. The forums have many users who are under 16 and the dangers of posting biographies should be apparent if one thinks about it...
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
Frih is an anonymous system and I think it would be a very bad idea indeed to implement a user biography facility. The forums have many users who are under 16 and the dangers of posting biographies should be apparent if one thinks about it...
Totally agreed. I also prefer to be anonymous and as far as I can see Bondings too.

I'm not sure I get the dangers of posting biographies for under 16 year olds? Is there a rule against people who post under 16 years? Usually those who are under 16 may not be aware of any limitations, and it has happened that one or two of them in the past quite openly stated in a thread that they were 14 years old.
Bikerman
Quote:
I'm not sure I get the dangers of posting biographies for under 16 year olds?

Err...internet grooming, paedophiles....
The first advice given to any child using the internet is DO NOT GIVE OUT PERSONAL DETAILS.
Blaster
I see what LBK is trying to say. It isn't mandatory but rather a way you can set some individuality to ourselves. I mean there is a place we can put where we live at. Surely look at how many people don't put in an appropriate response for that.
Bondings
The user pages were actually made for this. There aren't many fields, but you can put as much text there as you wish to describe yourself. And yes I know that I only have one line, I'll try to change that.
Blaster
I thought something like this was in place just didn't really remember... Were not asking for much here steve... Just a little something
LittleBlackKitten
That section also has a limitation I blew over by 4000 words and had to edit out over half of it, and that to me doesn't constitute a bio.
Bondings
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
That section also has a limitation I blew over by 4000 words and had to edit out over half of it, and that to me doesn't constitute a bio.

Oh sorry, I'll remove that limit or at least make it a lot bigger. Please remind me if I forget to do it within a few days.
Bondings
I changed the limit from 3000 to 50000 characters. I hope that will be enough. Very Happy
LittleBlackKitten
LOL! I think that more than solves the issue, Bondings Laughing
Blaster
ok now that that is squared away lets get back on track... Time to start writing Steve!!!!