FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moderators to retired?

Blaster
Not to try and be that guy or anything but some of the frihost moderators seem to be in the negative points. And when I say negative I mean some are at -680.

Now before I start getting flammed and told to worry about my own business and all that can I just nicely suggest maybe moving some of these people to retired moderators. Some of these people havn't posted since this place first opened in 2005.

I'm not suggesting new staff. I'm not suggesting getting rid of staff. All I am suggesting is that maybe you mark some of the staff members that havn't been here in a while as a retired member.

Its just my suggestion let me know what you guys think
deanhills
I may be wrong, but as far as I can see Bondings is extremely loyal to his Moderators, once a Moderator maybe a friend for life? All of the Moderators (friends) basically have tenure on Frihost. I can't see Bondings changing the status without that suggestion originating with the Moderators themselves. Also, Bondings does not seem to sweat small stuff. Those "labels" are probably not a big deal in the total context of running Frihost?
Bondings
As deanhills mentions, I rarely remove the moderator/staff status. Usually I only change the status to retired, if requested.

I was/am planning to make it impossible for the staff to go below 0 points, but I've never found time for it and it's not really that important anyway.
ocalhoun
You never know sometimes... Occasionally a user who's been gone a very long time will come back.

On my forum, this happened with a moderator who left for over a year, but came back.
And on Frihost, there have been a few instances of (non-staff) users coming back with extremely negative points, just look back at any post requesting that points be reset.
Blaster
Yea i see your point. The not being able to go below 0 would be a good thing.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Would it be fair however? One set of rules for staff and different ones for members? I'd rather that the large minus numbers stay as they are. At least we can then know all posters above zero are active posters.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Would it be fair however? One set of rules for staff and different ones for members? I'd rather that the large minus numbers stay as they are. At least we can then know all posters above zero are active posters.

It isn't a democracy though is it, It's Bondings site at the end of the day and the time taken moderating (with whatever that involves) could be considered as an offset against posting?
In my mind, I'm a service user and a certain set of rules applies to me (keeping above zero with half decent posts), equally, any moderator has agreed to a certain set of standards with Bondings - and thats between them.

To put it another way, bank employees usually get lower rate mortgages, and store workers usually get a discount on their purchases - as agreed with the employer. If an employee at a bank is not performing as they should, it's usually a matter between them and the employer, and only involves the customer (or user as here on Frihost) if it directly affects them.
AftershockVibe
It's also worth noting that you can still moderate without posting (and therefore getting points). There's no reward for locking, moving or deleting threads; or for resolving things by PM.
rvec
I think moderators should not be able to get below 0 points. They should have 0/45/nvt points and not be able to lose any. Though they should get an email every month they haven´t logged in to remember then frihost still exists (just like the -5 points mail does now).

This way it doesn´t look as bad (a mod with negative points looks bad), and mods/admins will still get the mails.
sonam
Maybe is best to don't show moderators points in any way. If they work some other things for frihost instead of posting then just disable points. Zero is also good solution but disabling is better for me.

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
Maybe is best to don't show moderators points in any way. If they work some other things for frihost instead of posting then just disable points. Zero is also good solution but disabling is better for me.

Sonam
Brilliant idea Sonam! Who said that there is always genius in simplicity? And your idea could not be any more simple to implement either Smile
Blaster
It could be hard to implament. It would probably be easier to just make it so that they don't go below 0. Then we would know any mod that was under 0 was un/active at that time
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
It could be hard to implament. It would probably be easier to just make it so that they don't go below 0.

Probably the easiest way would be to have a monthly auto-run script that does something like,
Code:

<connect to database>
SELECT TABLE phpbb_users
SET points = 45 WHERE mod_status = true
<disconnect from database>

That way, mods would never go below 14 points.
And, run monthly, it wouldn't have any significant effect on server resources.

Not necessarily the best way, but it would be very easy.

Or, you could add a similar bit of code into the existing script that subtracts points daily.
Running it daily would increase the server load, but still, not by much.
Blaster
That could work too ocalhoun i like that idea the best. Seems like a simple fix aswell.
sonam
Hmmm, showing 0, 14 or hidding points for moderators will produce an new problem. How we can know which one is acitve and which one is not active. For example if I send to some moderator with 14 points some PM I can wait two month or more for answer if this moderator is not active.

Sonam
Hogwarts
sonam wrote:
Hmmm, showing 0, 14 or hidding points for moderators will produce an new problem. How we can know which one is acitve and which one is not active. For example if I send to some moderator with 14 points some PM I can wait two month or more for answer if this moderator is not active.

Sonam

I thought the point of the report system was to stop people badgering moderators.
Vrythramax
Some staff members (myself included) are still very active around here...we just don't get any points/coins for the work we do behind the scenes. My points are constantly low as I don't post as much as I used to...but I still stop in and take care of my duties on an almost daily basis.

Just cuz you don't see us doesn't mean we aren't still around Wink
watersoul
Vrythramax wrote:

Just cuz you don't see us doesn't mean we aren't still around Wink

That's just conjured up images in my mind of mysterious undercover detectives, like in a TV cop show!
Paying their "moles" with used notes in back alleys or smoke filled bar's Laughing