FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Emergency Spam Report Button.

deanhills
I realize we have a report button, but is there a possibility of having an emergency spam report button, called "Emergency Spam" such as the ones that Sms2everyone has been posting all over the Philosophy and Religion Forum today. He made a total of 57 postings using the identical wording:
Quote:
Nice Web Design..

Nice useful article, it really helped me a lot,
Please keep updating your site as i am regular visitor of your site.
Cool One,,,
Thanks For Share..!!
Most of the postings are in the Philosophy and Religion Forum right from the top of the stickies down the length of the page.

If we have an emergency spam report function, to report occurrences like the above, it would be helpful, otherwise if we use the report button we have the report will just be lined up in a long list with non urgent ones.

I would imagine that there has to be a way that all his postings can be removed, since they are all identical?
Blaster
Dean from experience there is a way that you can mass delete/move topics that are all in a single forum.

I like the idea but then people may get the 2 confused. Its a good suggestion still and I would love to see it used. I know i have reported some stuff like a double topic and the topic is still there... I reported like 5 days ago...
alvarorojas4
The problem is the moderation (i think) because this can be covered without problems with the normal report button.
Blaster
Yes you are correct it can be but this would put like a priority report in. You don't want your site wasted away like this with mallious spamming. However minor spamming is less of a big deal as 30 some posts saying the same thing in a row
truespeed
10 hours later and not a single mod been on to delete all that spam?
Blaster
yup its still there and kinda weird that they didnt' pick up on this yet
truespeed
over 24 hours now and its stil not been removed,i don't think its a case of the mods not seeing it i think its just a case of none of them having been on.
watersoul
Yep, I've reported it as well, what a spammer, pretty certain if a mod had seen it themselves though it would have gone.
I like the idea of an "emergency spam button" but then peoples idea's of an emergency will always differ, and the route with the quickest response could just end up being the first choice when it isn't really that urgent?
deanhills
Can't believe it, one day on and a bit, more than 24 hours, and the spam is still alive.

Blaster wrote:
I like the idea but then people may get the 2 confused. Its a good suggestion still and I would love to see it used. I know i have reported some stuff like a double topic and the topic is still there... I reported like 5 days ago...
Blaster, I used to report spam and other glaring omissions like this on a regular basis through the report function, until one day I realized that the reports just go to one database, and line up with probably hundreds of others, that are being attended to if and when. I then gave up. I also found that doing those reports takes lots of time that does not really appear to be appreciated. Non-moderator Frihosters who make suggestions and submit reports may even be considered "smartasses": http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13011.html for all of their effort. Think So much better to rather focus on productive posting.
Bondings
Sorry for the delay in this case. I've removed the spam now.

About the emergency spam report, I think I should simply check the reports more often.
Ghost Rider103
It's not that we aren't doing anything about it even if we see it. If we see it, we'll remove it immediately as it's quite simple to do and only takes a second.

I usually check the reports daily, but only once a day, excluding weekends. Not to mention there is a lot more going on than just reports. There is also a rather large list of AWITS. Those that are apart of the account creation team also have hosting accounts to take care of.

I think for the most part the staff is pretty much gone over the weekends. My computer actually doesn't even get turned on over the weekends. I work on the computer full-time, so any chance I get to not use it, I take it.

The more users that report a post/thread/user, the higher on the report list it will be. So if it is something major, usually more than one user will report it which will put it at the top of the list of reports which usually means its the first one we take care of.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 it is nice to have you as a Moderator and I for one know how dedicated you are. However, I don't think all the Moderators are equal in the "work ethic" department. I know there is lots of work that goes on behind the scenes, but it is easy to pick up who the real beavers are.
ocalhoun
Idea

Great idea for preventing this in the future... but I'll make a new topic about it rather than sidetrack this one.
truespeed
Theres someone on spamming now as i type.

megdadgh
jeffryjon
Emergency spam button - great idea - it could even include the content of the spam-post like when we quote someone. Though it may involve more technical work behind the scenes, it could be made to make just one report with a number to represent how many people have reported it so the spam causing the most problems could be dealt with first.
Bondings
jeffryjon wrote:
Emergency spam button - great idea - it could even include the content of the spam-post like when we quote someone. Though it may involve more technical work behind the scenes, it could be made to make just one report with a number to represent how many people have reported it so the spam causing the most problems could be dealt with first.

The reports are grouped together and the issues that are reported by the most users are on top. Usually there aren't many reports, so the sorting isn't really needed.

I tend to login/check Frihost several times a day and if I check the reports each time (which I'm trying to do now), it should sort out most of the problems I think. I have to confess that I didn't frequently check the reports lately, so if I change that a lot of the problems will be fixed. Embarassed
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
I tend to login/check Frihost several times a day and if I check the reports each time (which I'm trying to do now), it should sort out most of the problems I think. I have to confess that I didn't frequently check the reports lately, so if I change that a lot of the problems will be fixed. Embarassed
Good news Bondings. Maybe I will get to the reporting again especially over the weekends when there don't seem any of the "caring" Moderators around. I have not reported for probably a year as I did not think anyone was paying attention.