FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hard Drive allocation

Tony The Tiger
I have just reformatted my backup laptop, which uses windows XP. I had previously set it up to have two partitions. Now, my primary use of it requires one large partition. After reformatting and looking in Control Panel>Administrative Tools >Computer Management, I see that it has a Disc 0 with 37.24 GB. This has a C: with 15.77GB (NTFS Healthy) and 21.47 unallocated. These are the dimensions of the former partitions. I seem to be unable to allocate the extra space for use as the C: drive. The right click options on the C: are Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter and Paths, Properties, and Help. The gray options that are unavailable are Mark Partition as Active, Format, and Delete Partition. The right click options on the unallocated space are New Partition, Properties and Help. I am pretty sure somehow I want allocate the unallocated space to the C: drive, but do not know how. What should I do?
Marcuzzo
Hi Tony,
if I understand you correctly, you need to have 1 big partition instead of 2, correct?
if this is the case you've got 2 options.

option 1, reinstall XP and delete the 2 partitions and create 1 big one:
in the screen that asks you where you want to install XP, you can delete both partitions and create a new one, format as.... ect.

and option 2, if you don't want to reinstall: try GPARTED: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
this one should be able to resise your C:\ partition
it is a live linux distro, so you need to boot in that CD, it's pretty straight forward.

cheers
driftingfe3s
You're gonna have to either reinstall your current operating system and during installation delete the partitions and merge them or use some kind of partition manager software to merge the partitions.

In the past I've used the software Partition Magic to merge my C and D partitions. You have to pay for that software though.

You might want to try EaseUS Partition manager or Partition Wizzard, their home editions are free. Also, remember when merging partitions it's a good idea to backup you data just in case something goes wrong.
weableandbob
GPartEd is probably your best bet. Just hope that you don't have the same problem as me where it can't find your hard drives. If you do, your two other main options are to clone the hard drive to another, make the original one partition, and clone it back, or to just reinstall.
Tony The Tiger
driftingfe3s wrote:
You're gonna have to either reinstall your current operating system and during installation delete the partitions and merge them or use some kind of partition manager software to merge the partitions.

In the past I've used the software Partition Magic to merge my C and D partitions. You have to pay for that software though.

You might want to try EaseUS Partition manager or Partition Wizzard, their home editions are free. Also, remember when merging partitions it's a good idea to backup you data just in case something goes wrong.

I deleted all my partitions and reinstalled. I have made progress on two fronts. I have all partitions formatted. This means that instead of one saying unallocated in the computer management it says Healthy system. I also now seem to be booting off of the larger drive. Here is what Disk 0 (Basic 37.26 GB Online) says in the computer management window:
C: 15.77 GB NTFS Healthy (System)
D: 21.48 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot)
E: 8 MB Healthy

Now can I reallocate my hard drive space using windows?