FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nobel Peace Prize 2010 - China's first

deanhills
A life-time human rights campaigner, and Tannianmen Square agitator and prison camp survivor, Liu Xiaobo (54 years old) from China won the Nobel Peace Prize 2010. This is the first time someone from China has won the award, but it is quite controversial as China is bitterly against the award being given to Liu Xiaobo who was sent to prison for 11 years for "inciting subversion of state power". Western Government and rights activists were most upset about this sentence, finally resulting in his nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Although I believe that Liu Xiaobo deserves an award for his lifelong struggle for human rights, and I am happy for him that he got the same kind of acknowledgement as Obama did, I find it quite ironic that a Peace Prize be given for a human rights fighter, as isn't the fighting less than peaceful? Maybe a Nobel Prize for Fighting for Human Rights would have been more appropriate? But nonetheless, in the absence of a more appropriate name for it, am really happy for him. Tireless campaigner is almost understated for all of his efforts. And I can imagine that the efforts have not ended yet either. Wonder whether he will be able to shorten his sentence, and even more important whether he will be able to receive his prize in person?

Source: MSNBC

Quote:
"He says whatever is on his mind," said Pu Zhiqiang, a friend of Liu's and a well-known Chinese human rights lawyer.

"I don't think a Nobel prize for Xiaobo or any other Chinese person would have a huge impact upon China's human rights situation. But it would certainly spur more people to fight for these values, as much as they possibly can," Pu added.

This is not Liu's first experience of jail.

The former literature professor was jailed for 20 months after the army crushed the Tiananmen protests and then spent 3 years in a "labor re-education" camp during the 1990s, as well as months under virtual house arrest.

China, emboldened by its strong economy and the woes of Western powers, appears to have little patience with pressure over its strict controls on citizens' political activities.

China's Party-controlled courts rarely acquit defendants, especially in politically sensitive cases.

At his trial last December, the court limited Liu and his lawyers to 14 minutes to defend him -- the same time prosecutors spent laying them out the charges, said his lawyer.
mengshi200
Liu as candidate attending Nobel prize campaign is third time ,at last he win it.
deanhills
mengshi200 wrote:
Liu as candidate attending Nobel prize campaign is third time ,at last he win it.
I saw last night on the news that he had been nominated before, but did not know that it had been three times already. Glad that he got it however, and sincerely hope that he will be released from prison soon. Hopefully this can at least be a "bargaining chip" in China's deep arsenal of bargaining chips, when China deals with Western Countries.
deanhills
Latest news is that China is banning all international press from talking to Nobel Peace Prize Winner Liu Xiaobo's wife:
Quote:
China on Monday blocked European officials from meeting with the wife of the jailed Nobel Peace Prize winner, cut off her phone communication and canceled meetings with Norwegian officials acting on its fury over the award.

As China retaliated, U.N. human rights experts called on Beijing to free imprisoned democracy campaigner Liu Xiaobo, who was permitted a brief, tearful meeting with his wife Sunday. Liu dedicated the award to the "lost souls" of the 1989 military crackdown on student demonstrators.

Source: [url= http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101011/ap_on_re_as/as_china_nobel_peace_prize]Yahoo!News[/url]
LimpFish
At least it's better than last year's joke of a winner, Obama!
metalfreek
There is no surprise that china is furious about this years peace prize. The only thing they don't want to talk about is Tannianmen Square. Now the politics will be hot for few months to come I guess.
deanhills
metalfreek wrote:
There is no surprise that china is furious about this years peace prize. The only thing they don't want to talk about is Tannianmen Square. Now the politics will be hot for few months to come I guess.
Do you mean politics hot in China, as I thought only one brand of politics was allowed, and those who don't tow the line practice their brand usually in jail, where they are also completely muzzled?
metalfreek
deanhills wrote:
metalfreek wrote:
Do you mean politics hot in China, as I thought only one brand of politics was allowed, and those who don't tow the line practice their brand usually in jail, where they are also completely muzzled?

What I meant was that the politics around the world will be hot for a while due to this issue. China is not going to sit quiet with this issue.
deanhills
metalfreek wrote:
deanhills wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

What I meant was that the politics around the world will be hot for a while due to this issue. China is not going to sit quiet with this issue.
OK. I understand now, and I agree. The Scandinavians would probably have to be careful when they visit China to ensure their papers are always in good order, if they are allowed to visit the country. But perhaps China would see it as a Western type "attack" rather than just a Nobel Prize Committee decision. Negotiations with China re probably going to be a trifle strained.
LimpFish
will be fun to see what the commies do about this
spring567
It made a joke on prizing the Nobel Peace Prize to Obama,it made another one on 2010.
inuyasha
Actually I know little about Xiaobo Liu, as all information about him is strictly forbidden in China. What did he exactly do? I've no idea, except his unsupporting the Goverment. It's partly considered a piece of good news that a Chinese finally won a Nobel Price.

By the way, does the prizing indicate China's Government was unwelcomed in the world?
deanhills
inuyasha wrote:
Actually I know little about Xiaobo Liu, as all information about him is strictly forbidden in China. What did he exactly do? I've no idea, except his unsupporting the Goverment. It's partly considered a piece of good news that a Chinese finally won a Nobel Price.

By the way, does the prizing indicate China's Government was unwelcomed in the world?
He is a "muzzled" freedom fighter. In other words, he risked his life repeatedly for being able to speak freely. The fact that you don't know anything about him, is the fact he is fighting against. He wants that kind of blocking of information by the Chinese Government to stop.

The Chinese Government is very upset that the prize was givin to Xiaobo Liu, so have blocked the press or anyone else to have contact with Xiaobo Liu and his wife. So it is not the world that says China's Government is unwelcome, but the Chinese Government that says the world is unwelcome with regard to Xiaobo Liu.

I am surprised that if you can post in Frihost that you cannot get access to any information about him? Does it mean that all Western Search Engines like Yahoo are blocked in Hong Kong? Smile