FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Colorado Governor Race

socceraggie
Is anyone else watching the entertaining race in Colorado for Governor? I've been listening to the radio on my way in to work and it is almost like listening to a great drama. There are 3 candidates currently in the running: Dan Mays (R), Tom Tancredo (C), and John Hickenlooper (D).

Mays won the Republican nomination but since then has tumbled drastically due to some suspicious events in his past and how he has portrayed himself. Tancredo seemed to disapprove of the Republican candidates during the primary so he switched parties to the Constitutional party to run. Hickenlooper has kept his head in the sand through this whole thing and is currently holding on to a marginal lead.

This race has been very interesting to follow for me as I have found it to show the true nature of many people involved in politics. I view the Mays campaign (now that it has lost significant ground in the polls) to show the "party over person" mentality that can be very prominent in our country.

Hickenlooper is so far playing a good game, but isn't campaigning very much because I think his proposed policies are contrary to many Coloradans. If he gets into the spot light too much he may be exposed to be differing from the majority of the public.

Finally, Tancredo appears to be on the hunt for the position. I hear the most noise from his campaign and I have liked what I hear so far. While I don't approve of negative campaign ads, the ones that talk about his proposed policies, his track record in government, and his principles shine through for me.

It will be an interesting race to watch to the end. I think it is still too early to call it for any of the candidates except Mays, who should just drop out. Smile
handfleisch
Have you tried going beyond the campaign ads? Tancredo is such an infamous extremist that his own former party, the Republicans, have cut ties with him. In his latest crazy talk, he calls the president of the USA "the greatest threat to the United States today". Obviously he's a reckless nut, perfectly symbolizing the fracturing and radicalizing of the conservative movement. Is that really who should be managing the business of the state?

Watch the loon in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s4NGyNoAQY
deanhills
I don't know much about the American Constitution Party, other than what I've read up on the Internet so would be interested in your views about the Party. Can you tell us more about the Party from your own point of view? For example, it would seem that it is an ultra conservative Rebel Party (starting as the US Taxpayers Party in 1992) that split from the Republican Party, more or less in the same way that is likely to happen with the Tea Party Movement? But it seems to be a bit too much to the right?
Quote:
The party's goal as stated in its own words is "to restore our government to its Constitutional limits and our law to its Biblical foundations." The party puts a large focus on immigration, calling for stricter penalties towards illegal immigrants and a moratorium on legal immigration until all federal subsidies to immigrants are discontinued.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Party_(United_States)
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Quote:
The party puts a large focus on immigration, calling for stricter penalties towards illegal immigrants and a moratorium on legal immigration until all federal subsidies to immigrants are discontinued.

What the heck does that have to do with constitutionally limiting government, or even Biblical principles?
*facepalm*
I really hate it when super-conservatives try to paint themselves as small-government libertarian... It makes real libertarians look bad.
handfleisch
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Quote:
The party puts a large focus on immigration, calling for stricter penalties towards illegal immigrants and a moratorium on legal immigration until all federal subsidies to immigrants are discontinued.

It makes real libertarians look bad.

LOL. It's way too late for that
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I really hate it when super-conservatives try to paint themselves as small-government libertarian... It makes real libertarians look bad.
Sorry Ocalhoun, maybe I need to learn more as I don't understand how they are painting themselves as a small-government libertarian? I don't get it. Based on the information in the Wikipedia article, all I can see is rightist almost to the equivalent of NAZI extremes, I'd run a mile from a party like that, but perhaps the Wikipedia article is painting a wrong picture, so would be interested to hear socceraggie's views.
socceraggie
handfleisch wrote:
the president of the USA "the greatest threat to the United States today". Obviously he's a reckless nut, perfectly symbolizing the fracturing and radicalizing of the conservative movement.

I think it is an hyperbolic statement and should be taken as such. Some of the policies and actions this president has taken could be construed as threatening to the USA. I have a hard time buying into some of the conspiracy theories that Obama is out to destroy the country. I don't think he is TRYING to destroy the US; however, I do think some of his actions indirectly threaten the security of America.

handfleisch wrote:
Tancredo is such an infamous extremist that his own former party, the Republicans, have cut ties with him.

If you have followed the campaign in Colorado, many Republicans have come out in support of Tancredo over Mays. Those that haven't are those I was trying to speak about in my original posting as choosing party over person. I think this is a problem in our country as we loose the focus of electing the best person for the job to choosing whatever person party leaders push in front of us.
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
It makes real libertarians look bad.

LOL. It's way too late for that

Well, yes, for those unabashedly in favor of large-government solutions, libertarians would look bad.

Let me revise that statement:
... "It makes real libertarians look like they don't care about personal liberty"

deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Sorry Ocalhoun, maybe I need to learn more as I don't understand how they are painting themselves as a small-government libertarian?

Quite simple.
The claim: We stand for small, constitutionally limited government.
The actual stance on an issue: Grow the government massively in order to keep opportunity-seekers out of the country.

The claim is quite libertarian-friendly.
The stance is a complete betrayal of any libertarian sentiment.

So, much like the modern republican party, they say they are in favor of small, limited government, but in fact advocate larger, more powerful, and more involved government.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Quite simple.
The claim: We stand for small, constitutionally limited government.
The actual stance on an issue: Grow the government massively in order to keep opportunity-seekers out of the country.

The claim is quite libertarian-friendly.
The stance is a complete betrayal of any libertarian sentiment.

So, much like the modern republican party, they say they are in favor of small, limited government, but in fact advocate larger, more powerful, and more involved government.
OK. Got it. I missed the "we stand for small, ......" part, as that is libertarian-friendly as you pointed out. At the same time however, I would regard it as at least one good objective of the Party. I'm all for a small and limited government.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I'm all for a small and limited government.

As am I.

Unfortunately, they are not, despite their claims.
gandalfthegrey
I'd love to see a third-party candidate such as Tancredo take the Governorship.
ocalhoun
gandalfthegrey wrote:

I likewise would like to see any increase in 3rd party members; it will help break the 2-party stranglehold that politics is consumed by currently, allowing real reform to happen.
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
I like the personality Tancredo, but have slight reservations about his Party. I'm hoping that I may have misinterpreted the Party and that Wikipedia may have got some of the facts wrong. So will certainly watch out for Tancredo in the Press.
socceraggie
There was an interview of Dan Mays on a local afternoon AM radio show that was very interesting on where this man is coming from. He was asked several times why he wouldn't drop out of this race and responded by saying he would be disappointing his supporters and the Republican party who have nominated him to be their candidate. When asked if he thought a candidate's principles or the person was more important he responded that the principles were more important. The interviewer did a very nice job of setting up this line of questioning to lead into the statement that by NOT dropping out he was creating an environment that supported Hickenlooper winning the election and that Mr. May's principles were contrary to Hickenlooper's.

The end of this interview told the story that Mays is in fact staying in this race selfishly and not with the intent of spreading conservative initiatives or because he thinks he can win. I hope anyone who still supports Mays will go to KHOW 630's website and listens to the Caplis and Silverman interview from 10/20/2010.
gandalfthegrey
Wish I could have voted for this guy!
John Hickenlooper easily won the Governorship of Colorado!!!!!!!

I absolutely love his campaign ad with him taking a shower 'cause he feels dirty after watching attack ads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yv_g7ZyADM[/url]