FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hackers try to take down U.K. cops

babumuchhala
A UK police chief has been bombarded with thousands of threatening emails in a denial of service attack aimed at crippling his force's computer systems.

At one point just before the bank holiday weekend, 2,000 emails an hour were being sent to Greater Manchester Police (GMP) chief constable Michael Todd.

The attacker spoofed some of the email addresses to show US president George Bush as the sender, while other emails warned that the attacker knew where Todd and his family lived.

GMP said the attack was an attempt to crash the force's computer systems through the volume of emails being sent. It has launched an investigation.

A statement issued said: "GMP has been subject to a cyber attack using emails in an attempt to disrupt GMP's service to the public. However, safeguards in place were effective and prevented any disruption to the force."

Cambridgeshire Police were subject to a similar denial of service attack almost two years ago when thousands of spam emails told recipients their credit cards were about to be charged for an iPod they had just bought unless they phoned a customer service number.

The customer service number turned out to be the switchboard at Cambridgeshire police, which was deluged by thousands of people who had received the hoax email, although the culprit was eventually tracked down and arrested.
SOURCE
nasirmansoor
Poor guy Shocked
S3nd K3ys
Quote:

Police chief battered by cyber attack

Thousands of threatening emails sent to cripple police computers...
Add Comment Printer Friendly Email Story

By Andy McCue

Published: Tuesday 3 May 2005

Last month called, they want their thread back... Shocked
coolpages
nice news..thanks for sharing
menhao
yeah, it is really a nice news
shiningwin
Ya thanks so much for the news.
Some arab
thats really interesting like holy shit....u can try and screw a police department through things like that. I mean its pretty efficient to screw poeple on cases they already are working on. I find this as a warning. We should really help the police stay on top of their game for this type of thing cuz like i know thats expensive and all but you can have people on their spare time actually help them out w/o pay cuz money is quite tight these days for the gov. and mayb thats just the U.S. but i dunno. I mean once u find a way to mess up cases that are being worked on and keeping cops from going to real problems like u know they could confuse them by puttin in fake calls and all. Anyway the bottom line is that it is a warning to how bad things can get if the police isnt on top of their game.
hedgehog2
are hackers always going to be free. With IP tracking, (i get it for free on my site) and whatnot, im sure ISP would like to help, the computer experts over on Capitol hill and London and everywhere else need to get off their butt and fix this hacker problem. Would we let theifs and murderers roam the roads freely? Then why should we let hackers? This needs to stop now, and I don't care if they need to raise taxes to do so. Thanks
afzal
babumuchhala wrote:
A UK police chief has been bombarded with thousands of threatening emails in a denial of service attack aimed at crippling his force's computer systems.

At one point just before the bank holiday weekend, 2,000 emails an hour were being sent to Greater Manchester Police (GMP) chief constable Michael Todd.

The attacker spoofed some of the email addresses to show US president George Bush as the sender, while other emails warned that the attacker knew where Todd and his family lived.

GMP said the attack was an attempt to crash the force's computer systems through the volume of emails being sent. It has launched an investigation.

A statement issued said: "GMP has been subject to a cyber attack using emails in an attempt to disrupt GMP's service to the public. However, safeguards in place were effective and prevented any disruption to the force."

Cambridgeshire Police were subject to a similar denial of service attack almost two years ago when thousands of spam emails told recipients their credit cards were about to be charged for an iPod they had just bought unless they phoned a customer service number.

The customer service number turned out to be the switchboard at Cambridgeshire police, which was deluged by thousands of people who had received the hoax email, although the culprit was eventually tracked down and arrested.
SOURCE

Well here I go

Brother, Can you tell me ..

Where is the Investigation squad Now !!

Y is the main members of Prev Attacks are not totally put behind bars ..

Y they still after a high alert Cant stop this type attacks

Still they are saying abt themselves that they are one of the best ??

Hope they have to recover for this ....

I will say :: They Failed to get the enemy

Failure of POLICE / Investigation Unit ...
Embarassed Embarassed
bao
Is spam emails hack behavior?other one talk about...
afzal
Question Question Question

^^ Still no peply of my Q'n
GW_Addict
Hackers will forever be able to pull things like this off as long as there are people who understand how other people think. Really - it's this more than being a good programmeror nowing how to use a comuter. Social engineering is more a problem today then ever a "blast my way through" technique ever was. Why work so hard when you can just convince somebody to do what you want?
completeforums
Thats a harsh. Shocked Poor email, it probably overloaded. Crying or Very sad
52tease
S3nd K3ys wrote:

Last month called, they want their thread back... Shocked

Hilarious, truly. Thanks for the laugh! (although we have disagreed in other forums, I am being serious here. Thank you)

edit: With that comment, a truly conciliatory one...fortunately...I have become a junior freehoster. SWEET!
fsk141
all i have to say is that hes a dumbass, all he has to do is get a new damn email address. what the hell is he thinking, when there is such great services as gmail, gmail, and oh ya gmail. Thats free and has excellent spam controll, why doesnt he get something like gmail. or he could just put subject sensitive tags so that it would be more difficult for him to get spammed. In the end there is really a simple fix to his problem. he just has to notice...