FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it ok for towels to be used as a handkerchief

Is it ok for towels to be used as a handkerchief?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 15

jmraker
My dad and brother are adults and regularly blow their nose in towels even though there are tissues around. They usually do it when nobody is around. I resorted to buying my own towels and washing them and my clothes separately so they don't get snot washed into them.

Is this a common thing and do you think (hand towels and bath towels) towels are valid handkerchiefs?
standready
Absolutely not! If done because the towel is the only item available at the moment, then the towel needs to be put in the wash immediately not left hanging for someone else to use - yuck!
Bluedoll
Definitely not! Before the widespread use of tissue people did use cloth reuseable hankie but that was not something I would like to see resurface even for the sake of the enviroment. Towels are only for drying our bodies and faces. Please tell them this. It is a very bad habit. And buy a lot of tissue for the bathroom. Please!
Ankhanu
Of course it's fine.
Well, let me clarify; it's fine to use a separate towel for nose blowing than used for other things... though after being washed, one towel is as good as another!

Why would this be unacceptable, exactly? I can see using the same towel that is currently covered in mucous for a hand towel or something being improper, but not in general practice.
deanhills
Not good to read this thread before breakfast, yeaks! No it is definitely not normal! Your behaviour is right on. Not good behaviour on the part of your father and brother. Maybe you can buy them a few handkerchiefs for Birthdays? And get their names stencilled on the handkerchiefs and hang them in appropriate places next to towels?
mtorregiani
That's pretty disgusting in my opinion... Imagine that you're washing your hands, or your face, and you need a towel for your hands/face and it's all full of mucus... That's not very pleasant in my humble opinion...
deanhills
mtorregiani wrote:
That's pretty disgusting in my opinion... Imagine that you're washing your hands, or your face, and you need a towel for your hands/face and it's all full of mucus... That's not very pleasant in my humble opinion...
Worse .... you won't know it is there ...... Shocked
Nameless
NO. No. Nonononononono.

Washing your towel separately is going a little overboard (washing machines will rinse off worse), but blowing your nose on a towel that's being used again is kind of unhygienic and indisputably disgusting.
Bluedoll
I’ve spend some of my life in the country. Although old fashioned, hay bailing and barn stacking in dusty conditions can be extremely nose provoking. To blow like a man, spit like a man and work like a man is not disgusting, I agree.

Send it to the wind and the ground but in the bathroom towels have a conventional purpose. If you want to use one for polishing the car, designate it as such but do not return my towel to the holder and put the seat down! It is not acceptable because I said so Mr.

Shocked
soljarag
i never understood why people use hankerchifs ... its a pretty disgusting concept...

blow your nose into it, then put it in your pocket to use again.........
Nameless
soljarag wrote:
i never understood why people use hankerchifs ... its a pretty disgusting concept...

Speaking as somebody who almost always has a handkerchief in his pocket, allow me to fill you in!
- There aren't always tissues/bin readily available if you're eg. in the middle of a train ride.
- Having a bout of hayfever can waste a lot of tissues, which isn't fantastic for the environment and such.
- Nasal mucus is a natural and functional part of your body, it isn't disgusting.
- Convenience.
- Dissuade pickpockets. Razz
standready
Nameless wrote:
Speaking as somebody who almost always has a handkerchief in his pocket, allow me to fill you in!
- There aren't always tissues/bin readily available if you're eg. in the middle of a train ride.
- Having a bout of hayfever can waste a lot of tissues, which isn't fantastic for the environment and such.
- Nasal mucus is a natural and functional part of your body, it isn't disgusting.
- Convenience.

I always carry a handkerchief but I never thought about dissuade pickpockets as well. hehe!
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
soljarag wrote:

- Convenience.
OK, now you've just put those train rides in a different perspective as well. Yuck ......! BUT, do you think that would really dissuade pickpockets?

Nasal mucus may be a natural part of my body, but I also know that it can be a source of germs from someone else.
watersoul
This is a curious subject, but I'll dip my toe in anyway.
I don't see anything wrong with using any item of clothing/towels/pillow case etc for an emergency blow of the nose if it's then popped in the washing basket straight away.
Once washed, it's clean again - and if anyone thinks that is not the case then I guess there's a potential OCD issue going on there - does anyone wash underwear solely on it's own to avoid the "dangers" of rather more unwanted bacteria? (I never have, and after 20 years of doing my own washing I haven't got sick from it yet - nor my family)

If the towel is just put back on a rack for the next unsuspecting victim, then yep, thats pretty gross, but if you wash your towels etc at a high temperature, I really don't see the problem.
Bikerman
I concur.
As a kid and young adult I had extreme hay fever - I mean potentially life threatening some years. I would often wake up with my eyes completely 'welded' shut and some years I had to have a face mask on for school during the period where the particular pollen I was most sensitive to was around (tree pollen and around the first and second weeks of June if I remember correctly - which I do since you don't forget these things Smile.
Anyway the point is that I would have wiped my nose and face on a Priests vestments or any damn thing I had at hand during those times and not thought twice about it....
I was lucky enough to 'grow out of it' as I got older and nowadays the occasions when I would need to blow my nose on a towel are pretty infrequent - but I have done so on more than one occasion. I have a big hooter and a hanky barely covers the job.
Of course I would make sure that the towel wasn't used by others - it would go in the washbasket - but I'm not particularly shocked or even suprised that someone would blow on a towel.....
watersoul
Bikerman wrote:

Anyway the point is that I would have wiped my nose and face on a Priests vestments or any damn thing I had at hand during those times and not thought twice about it....

Actually did burst a really big laugh out loud at that image in my mind! Laughing And if the priests vestments concerned were unfortunate enough to be involved in such a slime filled situation, they would probably have been washed in a machine with many other questionable contaminants.
The issue is definitely less about the usage of the towel, and more about how well it's washed and who has access to it after the contamination.
Magicman
I understand the use of a handkerchiefs but I think it is weird to use towels in such a manner. Although to be honest it all ends up getting cleaned in the wash so it really shouldn't be an issue. Nevertheless, I use neither a towel or a handkerchief to blow my nose and always stick to tissues.
Bluedoll
I do not mean to be snotty but this post is desnoffingly disgusting and should be running down to the bottom of the pile. Oh, no, it just got sucked up there again.
The thing about noses is they just keep dripping . . . and sometimes into recycled material. That was not a good idea don’t you think? Recycled toiletries! Yuk!
Twotone
Thinking of the rain forsests here ....

Is it not better to recycle ?

Wash it hang it out to dry

Smile
Bikerman
Not a simple question. It would depend on how much resource is consumed in washing and drying vs how much resource is consumed by making a fresh tissue/handkerchief. I don't have those numbers unfortunately...
missdixy
Handkerchiefs - yes. Nothing wrong with these AS LONG as you and only you use them and you use a fresh one each day. But I still think that using towels (especially if they're shared in a bathroom or something and put back after use) is just unhygienic and disrespectful!
Bikerman
I agree, but if it is your own or families towel then I see no problem with it as long as it is put into the wash and not back in use.
Greatking
towels being used as face cleaners is ok, using them to clean sweat from the face i guess its ok, not for blowing the nose and using them on the body as well, no that is wrong and not even hygienic. so its ok to use towel as face towel, there are cute little ones around for those purpose.
Bikerman
LOL....surely what I choose to do with my towel is my business and nobody else's, much less a subject where an ethical/moral determination of right and wrong can be applied?
watersoul
Another point to consider about the hygiene after a wash thing, is if anyone uses the nice crisp clean and fresh smelling towels in a hotel room, you can only imagine some of the things on them before they are sent to the commercial laundry and boiled!
Absolutely disgusting things I've been told by hotel worker friends - I'll leave it to your imagination, but if you have an issue with simple nose juice from someone in your family, I'd say take your own towels to even a 5 star hotel! Laughing
speeDemon
You use a towel to dry your hands/body.. blowing into them is not an option, as simple as that..
Bikerman
speeDemon wrote:
You use a towel to dry your hands/body.. blowing into them is not an option, as simple as that..
Well it clearly is an option or this thread would not be here Smile

I think the hygeine argument is shaky. You can also 'catch something' from a towel that has been used as you say - simply to dry the face/hands/body. Many infectious conditions - athlete's foot, verrucca and herpes simplex for example - would probably be transmissable via a towel.

We always put out separate towels for guests and most people I know do the same....
watersoul
Of course, if someone doesn't have a modern washing machine or access to water at high temperatures, or is so poor that they only enough towels so people have to share, then I would totally understand the issue with towels being exclusively for drying clean wet bodies.

Saying that though, if I had to use an old school steel barrel with a camp fire, I'd still be able to sterilise and clean any fabric.

I also provide seperate clean towels for anyone in my house and as long as the towel gets thrown in the washing bin after their use, I wouldn't actually care (or know) if a guest had used it for a leaky nose issue - I just shove it in the machine at a high temperature and it ends up back in the cupboard smelling fresh again for further use.