FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Disaster Relief - Organization HEART

jeffryjon
Organization HEART (Humanitarian Emergency Aid Response Team)

For the last 3 years, I've been working on the plans for a large scale disaster relief project. The mindmaps using FREEMIND printed at 50% size fill about 35 sq metres

We're now at the stage of designing a dynamic relationship database. Initially wished to use open-source, though the learning curve was found to be too steep and the work too intensive givenm the resources at hand. As a result, it was decided to use Filemaker Pro 11 Advanced to set up the database with a view to using the finished database scheme until a reliable open-source version can be built.

The database (initially Filemaker as stated) needs to operate cross-platform and allow us to share information with other organisations and governmental bodies. My experience in Filemaker is limited to learning as I go and working my way through the 'missing manual' for the software (a great resource).

A few self-declared experts have fallen through, for various reasons, mostly which add up to chasing money elsewhere. If anyone is interested in committing to some serious input over the next few months, please get in touch. It's only right that I make anyone interested in assisting that this project is voluntary and involves no fees.
ocalhoun
Charts and databases are nice and all... But how are you doing at gathering funds/resources and getting volunteers?
jeffryjon
ocalhoun wrote:
Charts and databases are nice and all... But how are you doing at gathering funds/resources and getting volunteers?

Although charts are a possibility for the database, that's by no means the primary purpose. Filemaker is capable of handling a wide range of tasks allowing mobilization, logistics, data tracking, auto ordering of stocks and many others. With reference to funding many sources have already been approached and substantial sums have been promised. We also have two major sources of potential volunteers with whom I have long term relationships and these organizations contact me regularly to ask when the new organization will be ready and what stage we're at.
ocalhoun
jeffryjon wrote:
With reference to funding many sources have already been approached and substantial sums have been promised. We also have two major sources of potential volunteers with whom I have long term relationships and these organizations contact me regularly to ask when the new organization will be ready and what stage we're at.

Ah good.
I was worried that you might have only constructed a 'paper empire' with no real substance. Looks like it is the real deal though.