FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hard Drive Legibility

Tony The Tiger
I have been using a Seagate 750 GB external hard drive that is about 2 or 3 inches thick. I also have hard drive case that I put a 320 GB Western Digital HD in as a second backup. My cousin gave me a 500 GB External HD that is less than a half inch thick. It is in a case that says Casecrown although I am not sure if that is the manufacturer of the drive. The drive reads on my 2010 Windows 7 Hewlett Packard Pavilion dv7, but I have difficulty getting it to read on my 2003 Windows XP Dell Inspiron 8200. Sometimes the Dell reads it and sometimes the drive just whirs and whirs.. What is up?
FunDa
What type of connection does it use ?

Is it USB or eSATA ? Check whether all your USB drivers are installed in your Windows XP computer.

Windows 7 automatically detects what drivers are needed and installs them automatically. Xp is not that reliable.

If the drivers are installed properly and the problem still persists, then check whether the USB/eSATA port is clean and free of dirt.

It could be that Windows XP does not have proper drivers for the dive, so the best solution would be to migrate to Windows 7 soon. Let em know what happens.
Tony The Tiger
FunDa wrote:
What type of connection does it use ?

Is it USB or eSATA ? Check whether all your USB drivers are installed in your Windows XP computer.

Windows 7 automatically detects what drivers are needed and installs them automatically. Xp is not that reliable.

If the drivers are installed properly and the problem still persists, then check whether the USB/eSATA port is clean and free of dirt.

It could be that Windows XP does not have proper drivers for the dive, so the best solution would be to migrate to Windows 7 soon. Let em know what happens.

My XP machine is my backup. The drive uses USB to mini USB connection for both power and data on a single cable.