FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Contests?

Do you like making/taking part in contests on frihost?
Yes I love making and taking part in contests
100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
I only like taking part in contests
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't like contests..
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

speeDemon
I don't know why, but I just love contests and the contest forum, but there is rarely anything there.. It may be because no one scrolls down that much while posting, or people just don't participate, so people don't make contests, and finally the contest forum remains pretty much next to 'I don't exist'.

I love contests not only participating but also making them (if I have the time), and every time I open frihost I scroll down to the end and hope for a new interesting contest, but am usually dissappointed..

I remember frihost games which was a very good initiative, but never got anywhere because of the lack of participation by members(probably because as I stated, no one scrolls that much)

I don't have any suggestions as such, just wanted frihost to have more contests..
Maybe there should be some slots in the featured discussion part for contests, or maybe the contests should be moved up somehow.. I don't know how, but anyway just a thought.. I'm adding a pole as well..
Bondings
The new competitions will be started very soon. The first type will be called essay competitions and every contestant will have to write a detailed post about a chosen topic. The best one will win a domain.

About the contests in the contest forum; some good ones could indeed be featured, but for more participation we definitely need more members, which I'll try to address.
truespeed
Contests are a good idea and are a good way of bringing infrequent members back to the forum more frequently,i don't think the members are solely to blame for the frihost games not taking off,as some put a lot of effort into it,but there seemed a general apathy on the mods/admins part,who ignored every attempt to promote and make it more noticeable/popular.

I am not sure if the contests/marketplace forums have a future on frihost,the only thing i can see resurrecting them is if coins become tradeable.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
but there seemed a general apathy on the mods/admins part,who ignored every attempt to promote and make it more noticeable/popular.

I am not sure if the contests/marketplace forums have a future on frihost,the only thing i can see resurrecting them is if coins become tradeable.
Totally agreed with Truespeed with regard to general apathy. Also Truespeed should be commended for all his efforts in the past. I know how hard he tried to run some contests.

I don't know whether the coins are the solution, or more means to an end, as the real solution in my mind is to generate lots of enthusiasm. Bondings mentioned new members, and that sounds right on. Would be wonderful if we could get Philosopher Princess or James007 types to run some of the Forums that can potentially generate lots of postings too. Blow in lots of new enthusiasm!
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
some good ones could indeed be featured, but for more participation we definitely need more members, which I'll try to address.

To get adequate participation, you MUST at least make them featured topics, better yet a dedicated link on the forum main page.
-Lesson I learned the hard way.

There are plenty of users at Frihost who would like to participate... (Just look back at the photoshop morpheus competition; it got great participation even though there was no prize offered at all.)
But the vast majority of them won't even notice the competition is happening if it is obscurely buried in the contests forum way down at the bottom of the forum index.

-Also, may I suggest that a selection of other, secondary prizes/awards be offered? It will help prevent the 'I don't have a realistic chance to win, so why try at all?' syndrome.
(When I was trying to get this started, I offered 2nd place, 3rd place, 'First entry' (speed demon), 'last entry before deadline' (procrastinator), and 'worst entry' (king of the losers) prizes/awards, in addition to the main prize.)
deanhills
Excellent idea of Ocalhoun's. Also, Ocalhoun wrote up some fantastic admin guidelines for the running of the contests. I was totally bowled over by the thoroughness and details at the time - refer a previous thread that was started by Ocalhoun a long while ago:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-104591.html#870714

Can you believe it, that was March 2009. Time certainly flies very fast.