FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

So, do you 'log out' ?

speeDemon
I personally never log out from any email website or any forum(I ticked remember me in frihost), but my point is that do you ever log out after you're done posting, mailing etc. ? is it actually dangerous or anything? or do the temporary cookies just get deleted, and so it doesnt matter? what are you doing right now, and will you change doing it?
Peterssidan
I almost never log out of sites when using my own computer. If I happen to use someone elses computer I try to log out if I remember. Yes temporary cookies gets deleted when you close the browser. I don't always use the automatic log in feature that many sites have. Here at frihost I use it but on Gmail I don't.
meep
Well I don't log out as far as I know, but I have to relog every-time I restart the browser.
I do have it on remember password and username, so I don't have to enter those everytime.

I'm not really active on other sites, so I don't use the auto-login or remember me function for those sites.
Nemesis234
i only ever log-out when im doing on-line banking. no-one else uses my computer so i dont log-out of normal sites, but i still do for banking, just in-case :p
Helios
Not from anything accessed by my personal computer, but I do log off constantly at work. Much greater possibility that someone will try to access my computer there (bad intention or not).
speeDemon
Nemesis234 wrote:
i only ever log-out when im doing on-line banking. no-one else uses my computer so i dont log-out of normal sites, but i still do for banking, just in-case :p
Ya, you ought to log out of such websites, even if the cookies are deleted and all, still be safe than sorry..
mtorregiani
Me too, I never log out of forums or gmail... but I always log out when I use paypal, for example.
I use my own computer, it's not shared, so, I don't worry...
D'Artagnan
i did log out in college, now i just left everything logged on
Nameless
I use my own (always password protected) laptop to surf the intermawebs, so I never bother logging out of anything unless I have some obscure, unrelated reason to do so.
standready
I do log out everything except forums. Just good practice and more security. Many sites automatically log you out after a certain amount of time of non-use.
apple
Once I am using my pc or my husbands, I don't log out mail, forums, etc
If I am viewing anything 'adult' then I log out in case the kids see it
driftingfe3s
I log out whenever I am not using my personal computer. Like when I'm at school or a public library I always log out.
deanhills
I always log out, as Helios says, especially at work. I also untick the "autocomplete" function in Tools, so that it will not show my password or any other information automatically if someone should log into my computer at work for any reason. At home I am semi-cautious. I don't really have any secrets, but I'm more concerned about personal information that can be stolen for vindictive use, like electronic copies of my passport, driver's license, banking statements etc. I try and keep those on a Flash Disk, keeping fingers crossed that I won't loose the latter.
ankitdatashn
Everytime would be the right word, Even if its my ow laptop I never miss to click the logout button. Isn't it a lot safer and peace of mind to have everthing in place than give a chance of attempted hacking. I have many friends calling me saying they forgot to logout at a cyber cafe and asking for any help that I can provide to them.

So always follow the saying that its better to take precaution than to get cured. Smile
saratdear
From my home computer, almost never. But Frihost always logs me out. And most of the times, others as well.
At the school computer, always.
ProwerBot
On my own computer I always stay logged in. Of course sometimes the cookies get cleared, but I think once I went from October to feburary on another forum logged in.
missdixy
I never log out on my own PC. I don't see a reason for it since I live alone and have few visitors over (and even then, I lock my computer when away from it). I only log out of my laptop in case I lose it or something. And of course, when using a library computer or any computers in a public place I always log out.
timothymartin
I log out of https sites otherwise i stay signed in. Its just a lot easier and saves time not having to sign in everytime.
iman
I always log out when I'm using a shared pc. Otherwise I don't.
Also, it's a lot better to not log out if you're logging in using a phone.
chatrack
Hi,

I don't log out from my web mail, since i check it from my home only. But I strictly log out from control panel when ever work is completed.
Ghost900
I log out of sites whenever I am using the college computers but when I am at my home PC I only log out of banking and PayPal sites. I don't think it matters as far as security goes whether your logged in or not. I have no idea about how cookies delete or how they work. Currently I am at my college so I will be logging out of Frihost when I am done.
Bluedoll
ankitdatashn wrote:
Everytime would be the right word, Even if its my ow laptop I never miss to click the logout button. Isn't it a lot safer and peace of mind to have everthing in place than give a chance of attempted hacking. I have many friends calling me saying they forgot to logout at a cyber cafe and asking for any help that I can provide to them.

So always follow the saying that its better to take precaution than to get cured. Smile
I don't understand the difference to be honest. When I log out of the server, I disconnect. When I log off ??

I believe if I asked for a cookie it is still there regardless? How the server see's me if I log off as compared to if not is vague. Now if someone breaks in and steals my computer at home they don't need my password if I didn't log off and can then post using my name. If I had logged off instead then they would need my password because now the server has been instructed to ask for one.

If this is all there is too it, I don't see the why logging out or not logging out is a security issue unless it is only if you are sharing a computer with your roommate or whatever? Correct?

Just trying to understand this. Confused
speeDemon
Bluedoll wrote:
I believe if I asked for a cookie it is still there regardless? How the server see's me if I log off as compared to if not is vague. Now if someone breaks in and steals my computer at home they don't need my password if I didn't log off and can then post using my name. If I had logged off instead then they would need my password because now the server has been instructed to ask for one.

If this is all there is too it, I don't see the why logging out or not logging out is a security issue unless it is only if you are sharing a computer with your roommate or whatever? Correct?

Just trying to understand this. Confused
Ya, I'm pretty sure it's a matter of sharing and not sharing a computer, but then there's hacking as well...
soljarag
only when i'm on a public computer is when i log out.... if i'm home, i never log out
Ghost Rider103
I only ever log out of bank accounts and email accounts.

Not sure why though, nobody else uses my computer. I guess it's just kind of a habit now and maybe a little bit of security.

Though the only danger of leaving yourself signed in is if someone else starts to use your computer. Other than that I don't believe there are any other dangers.
engammalsko
I do never log out from anything actualy XD
snowboardalliance
Like a lot of others said, I only log off of financial accounts on my personal computer. And I log out usually on public computers. But I do stay logged in to email on my university computers because my profile will get cleared when I log off.
Bluedoll
snowboardalliance wrote:
Like a lot of others said, I only log off of financial accounts on my personal computer. And I log out usually on public computers. But I do stay logged in to email on my university computers because my profile will get cleared when I log off.
There you said it for me, it was in my head but I just couldn't figure out why I would not log off. Yes, yes I am just plain lazy. Laughing Actually that is a good idea, if it is not a security issue, just love those step saving measures with computers. The less buttons pressed the better.
Radar
I tend to log out of all but the most common sites that I go to. Not sure why. Perhaps it's a reflex that gets overridden by familiarity.
eneka38
Well, hardly ever log out from any site I open when I am using my own computer. But when I am using a friend's computer or a public computer, I never forget to log out. I also log out when a friend of mine wants to use my computer. It is for security reasons. And I never tick remember me on this computer even if I am using my laptop.
mahirh
logging out ? what is that , i have not heard of it yet , anyways , who wants to steal money from a PayPal account with zero balance? for me , loging out is more of a inconvinence than a pricacy protection measure because no one ever uses my computer (i have reliable laser trackers , variuos eye scanners and usb drive code protection (my computer only works if my usb drive is inserted )(yet to be patented) so that no one will ever use my computer)
ChrisCh
I have my home computer remember most of my online passwords and cookie sessions etc (through "remember me" buttons etc), so I only really have to login when using other computers. The computers at my uni have software called Deep Freeze - so basically, when you restart the computer, it's exactly as the tech left it - even if you delete Windows, format the drive etc etc etc... so it doesn't matter if I don't click the "logoff" buttons on sites when browsing at uni, because the computer won't "remember" it anyway Smile

My smartphone on the other hand, is a very different story... I always logout of banking etc just in case someone borrows my phone, but I leave things like email, Facebook etc signed in (auto email sync would just be *annoying* otherwise) lol!
Lady Elensar
I never log out, because I don't think it's necessary on my own laptop, which I only use. And it's not a disaster friends can see my e-mail if they borrow it. But one dangerous thing, when I haven't log out for a while, sometimes websites seems to log out by themselves (or cookies were deleted).. and as a consequence, I obviously don't remember my password anymore. That's always been a big problem Laughing (I try to save e-mails with passwords, but for some reason they just disappeared when I need them Razz)
ist-olga
I agree, must log out when using anybody's computer. Otherwise I just log out from any bank sites...
RosenCruz
When I m on my own PC, I never log out. It saves a lot of time.

When I m on a shared computer, I always log out Smile
darthrevan
No I don't log out of anything on my computer except my banking account. Other than that I feel safe with everything in-tact. As long as my computer stays in the house then there is nothing to worry about.
chartcentral
Some common sites I do log out, like Facebook and Yahoo, since other members of the household also use the same computer. With other sites though that only I visit, there's no need to log out. Smile
deanhills
I log out of my individual accounts, but keep them loaded until I shut my computer down, every three to five days.
Cosmoslayer
I don't usually when on I'm using my home PC but on the public ones, I do and even delete all the browsing history and cookies! LOL
inuyasha
I never log out on my personal computer. I suppose no one will bother to type long passwords when visiting all kinds of websites. For security I set up a password for BIOS so a password is required when the computer starts. Very Happy
In other cases, I won't tick "remember me" or something like that. Just close the explorer or log out sometimes.
likeabreeze
I NEVER tick "Remember me", even when I am using my own PC.
And, Click "Log out" most of the time.
Sometimes, the websites write something like "Safely log out" rather than "Log out", which probably means that to log out is much safer?
I don't know, anyway.
but it makes me feel safer psychologically.
darthrevan
Cosmoslayer wrote:
I don't usually when on I'm using my home PC but on the public ones, I do and even delete all the browsing history and cookies! LOL

I don't even log in of I am on a public hotspot since I don't trust my data not being encrypted.
chatrack
Hi,

When from another computer I log out before leaving the computer. From my home computer

Simply close the browser, that usually help to log me in simply hitting the home url.

I think best practice is to log out, and close the browser that will end the session data in browser as well as server side.
linux1993
If I'm using my own devices, I never log out when I finish what I want to do. I don't care the cookies. But if others' devices , I usually log out, especilally social network service. I don't want to show my pravicy to others.
GuidanceReader
On my own personal computer, which is always on and at home I never log out of anything unless it can be used to access any component of my financial/security aspects (such as banking/Paypal or emails linked to them). Any other computer - regardless of who it belongs to and whether or not I trust them, I log out of absolutely everything - just to maintain habit.
chatrack
I used to log out from my emails and other logged in web service, when not in my own computer
deanhills
Great to see you back Chatrack! Cool

I log out for security purposes (or so I think anyway), clearing cookies, flushing cache memory. I log in and out more regularly when I use the Internet more regularly. If I've had a really heavy session with a great number of open Windows, I log out at the end of the session. I usually shut down the computer as well, rather than just log out. I time it before I go to work in the morning. I think that way my computer and all of the electronics get a well deserved rest. Wink
spinout
no, on computers in my house I do not log out.
zarawatsonn
To secure your email account or any other account online, it is a good practice to logout after your work has done. It prevents you to from hacking your account unauthorizely.
deanhills
zarawatsonn wrote:
To secure your email account or any other account online, it is a good practice to logout after your work has done. It prevents you to from hacking your account unauthorizely.
That is true. I log out of the Forums I'm posting to as well, except maybe for Forums I spend a lot of time on. I think it's important. Definitely with all of my e-mail accounts I log out of them immediately after use. As well as my domain registrar accounts and cpanel or WHM. I'm thinking security, but not always so sure whether it makes it more secure.

I found some interesting discussions below about the benefits of shutting down. There are many pros and cons. Some argue that when shut down the computer is cooled down and there is less wear and tear on components for the period it has been shut down. Others argue that turning on the computer from a cold state to the warm state puts strain on the components, particularly in a cold climate.

What I also learned is that computer hardware and electronics technology have changed greatly. The arguments for shutting down the computer a few years ago compared with today, have changed. New computer technology makes allowances for a lot of the challenges that were faced in old times. Interesting reading:
http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/what-s-the-best-for-a-pc-life-sleep-hibernate-or-shutdown-565116/
Myrecords
I don't log out, it took me too long to log in[smile].
jestoy0514
I do not log out as well and I am using firefox synchronize so whatever device I carry of use my details everything is intact. Though some other peoples said it was very risky to do like that.
brainno722
Always log out if you're on a public computer.

It can be a risk not logging out even on a personal computer, although an OS lock might help reduce it.

The best way is to use private or incognito mode for accessing sensitive websites, then close the browser window and nothing is saved (except maybe supercookies but that's another topic).

You can't be too careful these days, especially with an increasing number of hacks and breaches.
RosenCruz
When it comes to financial transactions such as PayPal or online banking, I always log out. Wink