FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

noise from the power supply

Peterssidan
When I start my computer it often sounds like a fan is making some noise. I think it comes from the Power supply device inside the computer. But when the loading screen (of Ubuntu) ends it the noise ends (sometimes not completely).

A problem I have had before for a long time with the computer is that when I have had the power cables disconnected from the computer for a while it will not always start. Nothing happens when I push the start button.

Lately the problem has been different. Now it happens something instead of happen nothing, the light goes on and it sounds like a fan that rotate, stop, rotate, stop, rotate, stop..., and remains in this state until I cut the power. If I wait some more time before starting the computer it starts but the fan noise I described above is worse and it does not go away completely after the load screen. Next time I start the computer the scenario is often back to what I described in the first section.

The computer is almost 6 years old but I still want to use it for some more years. I guess I have to blame the Power supply but I'm not sure what I should do about it. I have never opened up the power supply device and cleaned it inside or anything. Could that help? Any other recommendations?
Marcuzzo
I wouldn't open up the powersupply but if you've got a compressor or anything you could try to blow the dust out. it may help as dust is a mayor pain in the but.
adding a few extra fan's to the case is also a good idea.
my machine used to eat dust more then our vacuum cleaner, I added 1 extra fan for air intake and another one that blows air out of the case and since then the amount of dust in the machine is a lot less.
ocalhoun
FAN POSSIBILITY:
Most computers have only two/three fans- the power supply fan and the CPU fan, and possibly a fan on the video card.
Make sure all of these are clean, and that no wires are bumping into them.

HARD DRIVE POSSIBILITY:
Also, this noise could be your hard drive. Disconnect the power to the hard drive, and boot up the computer. It won't load your OS of course, but if the noise completely goes away, that means it is likely the hard drive's problem.
In that case, the noise probably means that the hard drive will fail relatively soon, so you should back up your data off of it as soon as possible, and consider replacing it if the noise bothers you.

OTHER DRIVE POSSIBILITY:
Disconnect the power from any CD/DVD drives and any floppy drives in the system, and boot it up.
If the noise is still present, these are not the problem. If this makes the noise go away, then fix or replace those drive(s).

If you go through all three of those, and the problem is still there, then consider replacing the fans with new ones.
FunDa
Peterssidan wrote:
When I start my computer it often sounds like a fan is making some noise. I think it comes from the Power supply device inside the computer. But when the loading screen (of Ubuntu) ends it the noise ends (sometimes not completely).

A problem I have had before for a long time with the computer is that when I have had the power cables disconnected from the computer for a while it will not always start. Nothing happens when I push the start button.

Lately the problem has been different. Now it happens something instead of happen nothing, the light goes on and it sounds like a fan that rotate, stop, rotate, stop, rotate, stop..., and remains in this state until I cut the power. If I wait some more time before starting the computer it starts but the fan noise I described above is worse and it does not go away completely after the load screen. Next time I start the computer the scenario is often back to what I described in the first section.

The computer is almost 6 years old but I still want to use it for some more years. I guess I have to blame the Power supply but I'm not sure what I should do about it. I have never opened up the power supply device and cleaned it inside or anything. Could that help? Any other recommendations?

My computer's power supply fan used to make noise when the computer starts up, and after running for a few minutes, it would become quiet again..
Since the warranty period was over anyway, I opened up the power supply and simply cleaned the fan. Now it is working quietly and no problems after that.
ocalhoun
FunDa wrote:

Since the warranty period was over anyway, I opened up the power supply and simply cleaned the fan.

You should stay out of the power supply box unless you know what you're doing.
Not because of any warranty, but because it is dangerous.

You need to discharge the capacitors inside before you can safely work inside it. It isn't a complicated procedure, but you need to know how to do it, and you need to know when you need to do it.

This is a decent guide to safely discharging a capacitor:
http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/capacitor-discharge.html
If that looks too difficult, then don't open the power supply box.
FunDa
ocalhoun wrote:
FunDa wrote:

Since the warranty period was over anyway, I opened up the power supply and simply cleaned the fan.

You should stay out of the power supply box unless you know what you're doing.
Not because of any warranty, but because it is dangerous.

You need to discharge the capacitors inside before you can safely work inside it. It isn't a complicated procedure, but you need to know how to do it, and you need to know when you need to do it.

This is a decent guide to safely discharging a capacitor:
http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/capacitor-discharge.html
If that looks too difficult, then don't open the power supply box.

Oh. Thanks. Embarassed I had switched it off for a few hours before I opened it, because I knew there would be some stored charge. But I didn't know to discharge the capacitors.

Looks simple enough. I'll do it next time I have to open up anything with a capacitor inside. Don't worry, I've had some amateur experience with soldering electronics and opening up stuff.

Thanks for the tip
standready
I hope while you had the computer open, you took time to clean the rest. Otherwise, that dust will be back on that fan real quick.
FunDa
standready wrote:
I hope while you had the computer open, you took time to clean the rest. Otherwise, that dust will be back on that fan real quick.

Of course. I cleaned the whole cabinet. I was surprised by how much dirt was accumulated there. It had not been cleaned for ages.

Found a big burrow of tiny dust bunnies Laughing

No wonder my RAM had been conking off early. I heard dust can ruin RAM quickly.
Peterssidan
It has been a long time but here is some updates. Two months ago the power supply started to smell burnt so I stopped using it. When I later tried to turn it on just so I could get some files I wanted to have the computer didn't start. Now I have bought a new power supply and everything is working fine now Very Happy
FunDa
Open up the old power supply and see what has happened inside.

Recently, one of my friends' power supply was not working, and after he replaced it, we opened it up and found that one coil was partly burnt. The fan was working fine though, so we took it out and used it just for fun as a tiny table fan
Peterssidan
It would be interesting to look inside but I don't know if I want to open it up after all I have read in this forum and on other places. I don't want to die Neutral

I tried to look through the holes but didn't see anything special. The box is quite closed so it is hard to see.
FunDa
Peterssidan wrote:
It would be interesting to look inside but I don't know if I want to open it up after all I have read in this forum and on other places. I don't want to die Neutral

I tried to look through the holes but didn't see anything special. The box is quite closed so it is hard to see.

Don't worry, you should not open it when it is connected to the main power supply or if it has been connected in the past few hours (because of the capacitor storage)

Use a tester and a grounded wire just to be safe
Peterssidan
I opened it up and found nothing special except a little dust. The whole thing has a bad smell.
FunDa
Maybe the capacitors or something got burnt. Now that it is not working, you can take out the fan and see if it works when you give a 12 V DC current to it.

You can add it to the inside of your CPU cabinet just to add a little extra air circulation.

It won't be necessary, but it will be interesting to learn how to do it just for fun.
portoskt
buy new one
Peterssidan
portoskt wrote:
buy new one

I have already said I bought a new one.
TrueFact
I had too much experiences with burnt power supply units because of instable current. So I know the symptoms of a defect power supply unit.

The noise a power supply can make is either a mechanical (from the fan) or looks like an electrical noise (usually from capacitors).
Fan noise is simple to take care of specially if it spinning good. For the capacitors, you can judge if they are working fine or not by pressing Del or F2 (or some other key according to your motherboard manufacturer) while the PC is booting to bring up the setup screen. Somewhere, you should be able to check the system health and/or voltage. The voltages list will display the actual value and what it should be. For example it will show that the 5V is actually 4.95V which is acceptable and will not affect your PC or its performance. But if it goes too low (4.3 or similar) then it is defect and should be replaced.

If you like to open stuff up, check the tip of every capacitor. It usually has a '+' mark on it to see if it is bulging up. If it is, then it is defective. If it is bulging too much, that the tip plate cracked then it should be replaced immediately.

Power supply units are easy to repair (just replace the capacitors with a matching one). But usually you'll have to do the process again soon. On the other hand, a new power supply unit is fairly cheap. So replacing the old unit with a new one would be the best solution in most cases.

Of course you have to disconnect it from the main power supply and discharge it for safety before you try to open it up. Your whole PC should be earthed before you do.

If you have an unstable current, try using a UPS to extend the power supply unit life and make sure that your VGA card and RAM are performing the way they should (they are the most affected parts by lower voltages). CPUs are affected as well but not as much as the GPU/VGA card (from my personal experience).
neelgo
Peterssidan wrote:

Hi!

I was having the same problem.

Over the Time & use, the alignment of Fan can go bad so it leads to that noise.

there are only two ways
1. first try cleaning your systems fan
2. if cleaning not makes your work done then replace the fan with now one.

hopefully this helps you.