FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is in a word?

Bluedoll
Do you have any new words you use or have picked up?
Want to invent one now?
On a more serious note how important do you think words are?

(please post something now if you want or if you like read the additional note below for an explanation)
Your post is appreciated here!

Blubberlaten; an amount of extra topical posts that don’t really fit in any designated category.
I’ve stuck this topic into general as a blubberlaten, not wanting to go too physiology with it, certainly not political, nor dwell to much in the literature aspect of the subject. Rather, taking an outside view looking in at the power of words in general.
Note:

Looking at words like troll and blog we can see they are relatively new words in terms of the English language, I really have to ask myself is it really necessary? I mean, why can’t you just say journal or random notes or information even? Nope, we have to introduce new words into our language specific to new concepts, perhaps that is it and astound our audience as we sound informed. Excuse me while I blog for a moment, I will be right back. What does that mean?

My focus in this post is to discuss with anyone that wants to discuss. How do words have influence or don’t? So on a serious note if that is where you want your discussion to go or not, what do you think? How powerful do you think words can be? What is in a word?
standready
My latest word to use: crap-tacular! Explains the garbage on television or anything else that fits.
I find myself using "fuster cluck" when in heavy traffic.
ankitdatashn
Umm as far as I can remember there already exist a thread some sort of the one this is, give it a search I am sure you can find better company out there... Smile I am saying this because I had once posted some words in that thread... Smile
Bluedoll
interesting words standready
thanks for posting ankitdatashn, actually did a couple of search's and didn't hit anything related, not sure what you mean by 'find better company' - guess you meant the search thing.

radcursory; something like whatever, act of bitting nails in heavy traffic, the thought of what comes next on the page
Nameless
LETTERS, hyuk hyuk hyuk.
Bluedoll
Nameless wrote:
LETTERS, hyuk hyuk hyuk.
Ok, these words are but an incomprehensionable bafflementiceatal to me?

Notes by Bluedoll

In my opinion words do have an effect on people. They can move mountains actually, start wars, bring hope, offer understanding or have absolutely no merit whatsoever. Words are the power of the pen or the scrounge of mankind.
standready
dumb-letic: a "smart" person that lapses into occasional stupidity.
LittleBlackKitten
Me and my sister's new word:

Lamestrange, for when those moments arrive that are both really lame, and off-the-wall.

Example:

"Joe totally picked his nose in front of the waitress, then ANSWERED HIS CELL PHONE in the middle of dinner for his ex. Lamestrange!"

"My little brother ate my Science Project. Lamestrange."

"My battery died and so my phone hung up on him right after he said I love you for the first time...LAMESTRANGE!"
Cheeldash
I'm not an expert in languages, but i think that languages are like the people who talks them, in a circular logic where the language developes a characteristic of the people talking it, and then the people talking it get better in that characteristic because their language pushes that characteristic.
SonLight
Bluedoll wrote:

Looking at words like troll and blog we can see they are relatively new words in terms of the English language, I really have to ask myself is it really necessary? I mean, why can’t you just say journal or random notes or information even? Nope, we have to introduce new words into our language specific to new concepts, perhaps that is it and astound our audience as we sound informed. Excuse me while I blog for a moment, I will be right back. What does that mean?

When new things or new ways of doing things are invented, then new words are needed to refer to them clearly and concisely. The derivation of the word may be quite "funky" or illogical, since they often occur quite by accident. Perhaps a reporter invents a term as a joke or in satire, for example, and it sticks.

Newly-coined words often seem strange to first-generation users, but are readily accepted by those who later learn them along with their native language.

Consider the horseless carriage. We nearly all drive one these days, but the term seems too awkward, so it was just asking to be replaced. Since a camelless carriage is exactly the same thing, why not generalize and talk about what it does, not what is missing. Those crazy French decided to call it a "self mover". I suspect it was an American, though, who shortened it to just "by itself". On the other hand, why throw out the word "carriage", since it still performs the function of carrying, even without a water buffalo. Again I suspect the Americans who tend to shorten everything beyond recognition. Surely they will finish their shortening of "catalogue" someday by shortening it all the way to "cat"! In the present case, they shortened all their carriages, whether missing elephants or kangaroos, to "car".
ProfessorY91
This is a word that I found a little while back, and really really enjoy.

L'esprit de l'escalier or, staircase wit.
Quote:
The phrase can be used to describe a riposte to an insult or any witty remark that comes to mind too late to be useful—after one has left the scene of the encounter.
Wikipedia Article. | Reddit Post

I think this word is fantastic. If there's ever a feeling or situation that made me feel like it deserved a special word - its this one. Far too many times I've been insulted, stepped on, or just plain outwitted in a conversation - far too many times I've had to smile and wave it off... And then later come up with one of those conversation-stopping BAM! statements. Staircase wit for the win.
krusimax
I love this word as an interaction designer this always reminds not to take the end Users behaviours for granted.
read more
xiaohan
interesting words jakcys.
PGe-tips
One of the (translated) candidates for the flemmish word of the year 2010 "tentslut" . An new word since the festival season here in Belgium which young boys really like
Arty
I like creating portemanteau rather than new words. It gives more opportunities to be creative and is easier to create.
Bluedoll
That is morphcool Arty. No offense tip, I find that one disugly. Staircase wit, Professor, may I have one there as well. I know what you mean Cheeldash. It may be true as we are but modwellers. Yakduh at standready.

The horseless carriage is one of those words where I think it is funny how we can take for granted what we now think of as normal? What you said makes perfect sense to me and I can see the advantages. Thank you SunLight.
SonLight wrote:
Bluedoll wrote:
When new things or new ways of doing things are invented, then new words are needed to refer to them clearly and concisely. The derivation of the word may be quite "funky" or illogical, since they often occur quite by accident. Perhaps a reporter invents a term as a joke or in satire, for example, and it sticks.

Newly-coined words often seem strange to first-generation users, but are readily accepted by those who later learn them along with their native language.

Consider the horseless carriage. We nearly all drive one these days, but the term seems too awkward, so it was just asking to be replaced. Since a camelless carriage is exactly the same thing, why not generalize and talk about what it does, not what is missing. Those crazy French decided to call it a "self mover". I suspect it was an American, though, who shortened it to just "by itself". On the other hand, why throw out the word "carriage", since it still performs the function of carrying, even without a water buffalo. Again I suspect the Americans who tend to shorten everything beyond recognition. Surely they will finish their shortening of "catalogue" someday by shortening it all the way to "cat"! In the present case, they shortened all their carriages, whether missing elephants or kangaroos, to "car".
bini
This is really interesting. Hmmm.......what do I do now? Well let's try this out. When something is absoulute impossibility in a venture, it becomes "IMPORSICANT". Nevertheless let me know what you feel about my post. Enjoy your stay in this community.
Bluedoll
bini wrote:
This is really interesting. Hmmm.......what do I do now? Well let's try this out. When something is absoulute impossibility in a venture, it becomes "IMPORSICANT". Nevertheless let me know what you feel about my post. Enjoy your stay in this community.
Yove need to impove your speeling dwastically! I dunno if I can even underband whit you just said?

Hello and welcome to mission impossible.

I do hope you enjoy the posting, explore and find your favorite topics enjoyable too.
The forum does contain many more interesting posts than this particular one that may slide away into the imporsicant nonsense category?
Embarassed