FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Retired Military Officers to US Gov: Come clean on UFOs

gandalfthegrey
I saw on the news today a press conference held by a group of retired military officers who worked at Military Bases and encountered UFOs.

They claim that the UFOs are commonly seen around military installations and have even deactivated nuclear missiles. Scary!

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/airmen-govt-clean-ufos/story?id=11738715
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/28/national/main6907702.shtml
deanhills
I'm very skeptical. They could easily have mistook it for something that is non-UFO. There are so many things in electronics that can be affected in that way and create visions that may not be real. I would probably have to see it with my own eyes to really believe it.
jwellsy
The thing that struck me as odd about it was that there are multiple commissioned officers making the claims.
Nameless
gandalfthegrey wrote:
(...) and have even deactivated nuclear missiles. Scary!

What the heck is wrong with our world when deactivating weapons of horrific mass murder is considered scary. >_<

deanhills wrote:
I would probably have to see it with my own eyes to really believe it.

I would probably have to see it with my own eyes AND then cross of all other possible explanations (mistakes, pranks, personal hallucinations etc.) AND reconfirm it several times using other senses. I may be slightly more skeptical than most.
Bikerman
jwellsy wrote:
The thing that struck me as odd about it was that there are multiple commissioned officers making the claims.

Hmm...the press conference was organised by a UFO organisation and, as I read it, only one retired officer made the claim...
In any population of 100 people about 20 of them will have a diagnosable mental illness....just somethng to bear in mind....
liljp617
Nameless wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:

What the heck is wrong with our world when deactivating weapons of horrific mass murder is considered scary. >_<

Well obviously if you take it out of context it's not exactly scary. You kind of removed a significant part of the sentence and replaced it with periods.

The point is (and it's obviously a gigantic leap these people are making) that if something quite undetectable or uncontrollable deactivated nuclear missiles, it's logical to assume that something may have the ability to also utilize the same missiles however it pleases. If you can't even determine exactly what that something is, it may perhaps be cause for concern in a national security sense.

Of course assuming what's being reported/said is truthful. I have my skepticism.
menino
I think most airforce officers have seen UFO's, even in the UK, but are sworn to keep it a secret and have to sign Non-dosclosure Agreements.
It is possible. But if UFO's don't show themselves openly to us, its possible that they don't trust us, because we are a violent race.
Deactivation of Nuclear missiles is a rumour, but I would understand why.

I think we have to fear invasion of another country more than invasion of aliens. Laughing
Bikerman
menino wrote:
I think most airforce officers have seen UFO's, even in the UK, but are sworn to keep it a secret and have to sign Non-dosclosure Agreements.

And why do you think that?
My cousin flew Nimrods for 20 years and he never saw a UFO, and he certainly never swore to keep UFOs secret - what a stupid notion.
Nameless
liljp617 wrote:
Nameless wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:

(...) it's not exactly scary.

I agree! Very Happy

Bikerman wrote:
My cousin flew Nimrods for 20 years and he never saw a UFO, and he certainly never swore to keep UFOs secret - what a stupid notion.

But if he did see a UFO and was sworn to keep it secret ... that's exactly what he'd say! Surprised
Bikerman
Nameless wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
Nameless wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:

I agree! Very Happy

Bikerman wrote:

But if he did see a UFO and was sworn to keep it secret ... that's exactly what he'd say! Surprised

My cousin couldn't keep a fart secret in hall full of farting people. He is incapable of keeping anything like that to himself.
More importantly the idea that you could swear thousands of RAF pilots and navigators to secrecy about things they had seen is ridiculous. If pilots had seen UFOs in large numbers then there is no way the RAF could shut them all up. The americans couldn't even shut their nuclear missile silo people up, as this thread proves, and there are only a few thousand of them. There are nearly 50,000 people in the RAF.

This is one of the more bonkers conspiracy theories that I have heard.
Nameless
Bikerman wrote:
My cousin couldn't keep a fart secret in hall full of farting people. He is incapable of keeping anything like that to himself.

But that's what he'd want you to think. Shocked
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

But that's what he'd want you to think. Shocked
Exactly what I thought as well Nameless, if he had been sworn to secrecy, he would not have divulged anything to anyone.

Still, it's highly unlikely that there would have been any UFO's. I still would have to see it before I believe it.
Bikerman
My cousin is the man who gave me .... well, I cannot say on a public forum, but suffice it to say that I got some very very classified information for use with some students I was teaching. As I said, he is constitutionally incapable of keeping a secret like that and his personality would mean that anyone who asked him to sign such a document would get a smack in the gob. It is a ridiculous suggestion and, like most conspiracy theories, it is highly insulting to the intelligence, not to mention the personal integrity of members of the services. The notion that airforce pilots and aircrew would agree to hush-up the biggest and most significant news in the history of the world, and never breathe a word - well it is simply idiotic nonsense. A few misguided people might agree to such a crime, but not every one of a group of thousands.
And let me be clear - it WOULD be a crime in my book. Military personnel agree not to reveal military secrets. A genuine UFO is not a military secret - it belongs to no nation or group. Any general order to keep such a thing secret from the public would be well outside the remit of any military officer of any rank - I would call it professional malfeasance - and I know that many people of integrity would simply walk out rather than obey such an order - my cousin being one of them.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
My cousin is the man who gave me .... well, I cannot say on a public forum, but suffice it to say that I got some very very classified information for use with some students I was teaching. As I said, he is constitutionally incapable of keeping a secret like that and his personality would mean that anyone who asked him to sign such a document would get a smack in the gob. It is a ridiculous suggestion and, like most conspiracy theories, it is highly insulting to the intelligence, not to mention the personal integrity of members of the services. The notion that airforce pilots and aircrew would agree to hush-up the biggest and most significant news in the history of the world, and never breathe a word - well it is simply idiotic nonsense.
OK, that explains it better then. He would not sign a document like that.
Bikerman
deanhills wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
My cousin is the man who gave me .... well, I cannot say on a public forum, but suffice it to say that I got some very very classified information for use with some students I was teaching. As I said, he is constitutionally incapable of keeping a secret like that and his personality would mean that anyone who asked him to sign such a document would get a smack in the gob. It is a ridiculous suggestion and, like most conspiracy theories, it is highly insulting to the intelligence, not to mention the personal integrity of members of the services. The notion that airforce pilots and aircrew would agree to hush-up the biggest and most significant news in the history of the world, and never breathe a word - well it is simply idiotic nonsense.
Never - I can say that with certainty because I have discussed similar issues with him many times. I was interested to know how far the 'just obeying orders' line goes with the modern military. It ceased to be a legal defence after the Nuremberg trials at the end of WW2. A subordinate cannot get away with immoral or illegal actions by simply claiming he/she was obeying orders. My cousin was absolutely clear about that.
liljp617
Nameless wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
Nameless wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:

I agree! Very Happy

I see we're not here to really discuss anything Confused Odd to be on a discussion board then, I would assert.
Nameless
liljp617 wrote:
I see we're not here to really discuss anything Confused Odd to be on a discussion board then, I would assert.

Okay. How about trying this serious comment on for size:

Let's assume some outside force (UFOs or otherwise) IS able control any nuclear missiles they come across. I'll admit there's an jerk reaction element of fear that somebody else has that much power; perhaps similar to seeing a police car driving behind you even while you follow the law. But let's take a moment to realistically consider the alternatives here: either the good old USA has control of the missiles and leaves them ready to mass murder whoever they're hypocritically invading this week, or the 'UFO' has control of the missiles and apparently chooses to deactivate them.

Quite frankly, I'd rather trust the aliens.
liljp617
Nameless wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

Okay. How about trying this serious comment on for size:

Let's assume some outside force (UFOs or otherwise) IS able control any nuclear missiles they come across. I'll admit there's an jerk reaction element of fear that somebody else has that much power; perhaps similar to seeing a police car driving behind you even while you follow the law. But let's take a moment to realistically consider the alternatives here: either the good old USA has control of the missiles and leaves them ready to mass murder whoever they're hypocritically invading this week, or the 'UFO' has control of the missiles and apparently chooses to deactivate them.

Quite frankly, I'd rather trust the aliens.

Assuming the testimonies are true (yeah large assumption, but we'll entertain it for the sake of the thread), there are obviously other scenarios on the table than the one you described -- scenarios that are actually somewhat as, or more, concerning as the "good old USA" having control over the weapons. You truthfully don't see any potential issues with an unknown, undetectable entity having control over the US's nuclear weapons? None at all?

You assume this entity will always opt to deactivate the missiles (if this were a valid assumption, I too would rather have the "aliens" in charge), rather than use them, either on the US or on some other nation. I won't make that assumption. If this entity has the capability to deactivate them, I assume it has the capability to use them. Again, that's kind of concerning considering nobody really knows what this entity is, where it originates, what its motive is, etc.

Just for fun, let's assume this entity decided to launch a few missiles at say...I don't know...China. What is the US going to say? We didn't do it, it was aliens! I'm sure that will go over well enough.

Obviously we're basically discussing a science fiction novel, but that is somewhat the nature of the thread so...
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:

Ah, but what if they're deactivating them because nukes are the only weapons we have that could threaten them?
(And once they've perfected the deactivation technique, they'll use it on all of them, and then call in the invasion fleet.)

[/tin foil hat mode]
metalfreek
I don't believe this. First off, why would alien hide themselves. If they are capable of traveling traveling such huge distance to come here, their weapon should no doubt have the power to destroy us in an instant.

And why is these Alians always come to Military installation anyway? I think they should go to park or something.

And another fact is that no one can cover Alien trail even if they want to.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
Never - I can say that with certainty because I have discussed similar issues with him many times. I was interested to know how far the 'just obeying orders' line goes with the modern military. It ceased to be a legal defence after the Nuremberg trials at the end of WW2. A subordinate cannot get away with immoral or illegal actions by simply claiming he/she was obeying orders. My cousin was absolutely clear about that.
Good information Bikerman. And it makes great sense. When you explored this, did you find out anything about military intelligence, as they would probably fall under a totally different kind of contract than pilots would? If anyone from the top in their organization should come to them, they would be able to commit them to a written and signed undertaking not to divulge information that they are about to be given?