FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hurricanes or Tornadoes?

Blaster
Ok well as we may all know hurricanes and tornadoes are both wrath's of nature. In the united states there is a place nick-named tornado alley. Also a lot of the east coast is hit by massive hurricanes each year with the worse place arguably Florida.

So my question for you guys is would you rather live with tornadoes or hurricanes?

Where I am from I get hurricanes in my area. Not nearly as bad as Florida but we still get them. I have seen the disaster they cause in person. Also many have seen what happened in places like New Orleans. However tornadoes scare me more than hurricanes. The power of a tornado is something that can lift cars with no problem.

So overall I would rather live with hurricanes than tornadoes
deanhills
I have experienced neither of the two, so would probably make certain that I don't live in any area where there are hurricanes or tornadoes, but if I have no choice, then hurricanes would also be my lesser of two evils. I may be wrong and stand corrected but at least with a hurricane people can get a little warning ahead. Tornadoes are completely unpredictable and may hit you out of the blue when you least expect them.
Blaster
With tornadoes you generally have a little bit of a warning but not like that of a hurricane.
standready
Having gone through both - how about neither?
Hurricanes you get more warning but they have a larger damage area and can still spawn tornadoes.
Tornadoes, you get little to zero warning and can be quite damaging if you are in it's compact path. I have seen a tornado take out one house and leave the house twenty feet away untouched.
Insanity
Living on the West Coast... have not experience either one. Though I've had my share of earthquakes and whatnot. I guess that's the one upside of living here, even though there is always the risk of a dangerous earthquake or a wildfire that will consume your entire state, or a natural gas pipeline explosion....
Blaster
Believe it or not my state had an earthquake not so long ago (PA). It wasn't anything real big and there was little to no damage. I would rather deal with a hurricane than an earthquake or wildfire any day. Wildfires are so dangerous and you just watch your home get destroyed its quite sad.
meep
I've never experienced an earthquake, hurricane, tornado or a wildfire, I'm happy I live in the Netherlands.
If I had to pick i would go for the wildfire, unless I live in a forest in which case I wouldn't want any of them.
deanhills
meep wrote:
I've never experienced an earthquake, hurricane, tornado or a wildfire, I'm happy I live in the Netherlands.
If I had to pick i would go for the wildfire, unless I live in a forest in which case I wouldn't want any of them.
How about flooding? Have you had any of that happening where you live? From what I've heard that could also be quite a disastrous experience?
meep
deanhills wrote:
meep wrote:
How about flooding? Have you had any of that happening where you live? From what I've heard that could also be quite a disastrous experience?

I think we have moments that there are floods, but since I live in the northern part I haven't experienced them.
But one of the rivers flooded once (in 1993), but that was in the southern part.
and we had the 1953 north sea flood, but we're now much more advanced and will probably know ahead of time and evacuate Very Happy (and once again that was only in the southern part).

I guess I should be happy that I never experienced anything like floods and hurricanes, but deep down I really wish to see one once.
speeDemon
I personally have never faced any natural disaster.. other than flooding(I didn't face it exactly, but there was a flood in my city once), I have been in a car accident though..
standready
meep wrote:
I guess I should be happy that I never experienced anything like floods and hurricanes, but deep down I really wish to see one once.

Be very happy that you have not and I hope you never do.
apple
Living in the Caribbean we are constantly looking and wondering what is coming next. Fortunately for me our islands Trinidad & Tobago almost always get bypassed by major systems.
Having lived here all my life I have no memories of serious storms hitting us, just those passing close enough to uproot trees and damage some weak buildings.
We do get flooding tho. This rainy season we have seen more and more flooding. Yet the locals are not aware that bottles/bags and other waste thrown in drains and waterways add to the floods.

sigh

To answer your question, I would prefer to never experience any first hand. There are some things that I only wish to live through the lens of the national geographic videographer.
ankitdatashn
standready wrote:
meep wrote:

Even I have never seen hurricane or tornado. Though I know they cause much disaster and loss of life and money but I dont know there is a feeling that wants to see them once in life. anyhow I hope everyone be safe from them Smile
meep
ankitdatashn wrote:
standready wrote:
meep wrote:

Even I have never seen hurricane or tornado. Though I know they cause much disaster and loss of life and money but I dont know there is a feeling that wants to see them once in life. anyhow I hope everyone be safe from them Smile

Well yeah I don't really want to see them in action (like destroying a city), but I would like to see a tornado from a distance once like they do in Storm Chasers
Blaster
I have seen the wraths of tornadoes and they are not pretty. Even the minor ones. Even high amounts of rain can cause problems. We had about 10 inches in a span of 48 hours where I lived this past weekend and it caused a lot of damage with flooding and high winds with trees down.
watersoul
I've never experienced either so for once I'm happy to say I cannot really comment on the question, but for everyone who faces these things I honestly wish you good luck, it must be pretty scary at times Shocked
missdixy
Ideally, neither. My hometown has like a super small chance of tornadoes and we're not near water so no chance of hurricanes. I like that. Now, living in the midwest USA there is a higher chance of tornadoes here and i think i prefer that to hurricanes. Hurricanes tend to do more damage, and christ, I'd be terrified enough of a natural disaster without having to worry about water/drowning.
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:

So my question for you guys is would you rather live with tornadoes or hurricanes?

Well, for one thing, hurricanes nearly always cause and include tornadoes...
At any given time there's usually several tornadoes within a hurricane, and you can spot them in the aftermath by the isolated points of much more severe destruction.

That said, unless you live very close to the coast hurricanes are rarely dangerous. As little as 50 miles from the coast, it's usually safe to just wait it out, unless your house is particularly flimsy.

Hurricanes are much more difficult to recover from than tornadoes though... Supplies are always scarce afterwards. (And before: generators, plywood, and gasoline are often sold out just before it hits.) In one particularly bad season, all roofing contractors were fully booked for over a year... And even if you could get a roofer (or could do it yourself), supplies were scarce and super-expensive. Some people had tarps over their roofs for up to two years. You also have to deal with the widespread breakdown of infrastructure. All utilities will often fail - water service will often be contaminated, electric power and phones (including cell phones) could be gone for months, and roads could be clogged with debris for weeks.

For the well prepared though, hurricanes are definitely better to live with.

I lived in Florida for 20 years, experienced a dozen or so good hurricanes... I actually do kind of miss going out in the eye of the storm; that's an awesome experience. There's no wind (or rain) at all, but you can see the clouds racing around in a wide circle around you, and sometimes, even see clear sky straight up.
Blaster
I live off the coast quite a bit and I know what you are saying. It is weaker than say on the coast where I have seen pretty good damage.

Tornadoes are also localized. What I mean by this is that they tend to only do damage in a small area where as hurricanes can wipe out a complete state/town (just look at katrina)
TurtleShell
Tornadoes, all the way. I'm not from tornado alley specifically, but I am from the midwest, where we get tornadoes from about May thru September. Although tornadoes do occasionally flatten a town from time to time, I think they most often hit in relatively unpopulated areas. On the other hand, hurricanes can do widespread damage to relatively urban areas (lots of cities are on coasts). When they hit, I feel like deaths are kind of expected. Hurricanes happen over a course of hours or days, tornadoes hit relatively quickly and are gone quickly.

I also prefer tornadoes to earthquakes. It's possible that I would feel differently about this had I ever had my house flattened by a tornado, or knew someone who did, but in 21 solid years of life in Illinois and Iowa, I never had that happen to me.
Blaster
In PA we seem to get it all here... We get hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, moonsunes, apparently even earthquakes. So I guess you can say I have lived through some of the worse weather. Its not pretty at all. Well blizzards can be until they start crushing houses.
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
Well blizzards can be until they start crushing houses.

Snowstorms crush houses, but to be called a blizzard, it needs to have substantial wind.
That wind makes snow pile up in the corners around walls, but most of the snow will be swept off of any roof by it.

Well, by the definition of blizzard I'm familiar with, anyway.
standready
Tornadoes in Arizona on Wednesday. Check out the pictures and video of what a low grade (F1) can do.
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_northern_az/other/tornado-warning-issued-for-northern-arizona

As I said earlier, I hope you never experience even a low grade tornado.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Tornadoes in Arizona on Wednesday. Check out the pictures and video of what a low grade (F1) can do.
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_northern_az/other/tornado-warning-issued-for-northern-arizona

As I said earlier, I hope you never experience even a low grade tornado.
Wow Flagstaff! I was totally unaware that Arizona was tornado country. Or was it a freak occurrence?
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Well blizzards can be until they start crushing houses.

Snowstorms crush houses, but to be called a blizzard, it needs to have substantial wind.
That wind makes snow pile up in the corners around walls, but most of the snow will be swept off of any roof by it.

Well, by the definition of blizzard I'm familiar with, anyway.

It depends on the type of snow and the type of roof. I have delt with real bad snow with ok winds never anything bad with the winds but I do know that under the weight of the snow I have been to a coupe of roof collapses
goutha
Both are bad!

Better to live in a place were there's no hurricane neither tornados.
iman
Tornadoes are stronger but shorter. Hurricanes cover a larger area, but is more predictable.
Maybe i'll just go with the hurricane. My house has better chances of survival in hurricanes Very Happy
dapopeyoh
Hurricanes and tornadoes. Well I haven't experienced any one of them before, but from what I gather, hurricanes are more predictable but they last longer, while tornadoes are unpredictable, more powerful and shorter. If I had no choice I think I would stick with hurricanes. But really, I dislike them both.
Bluedoll
I suppose we are gaining more knowledge about both. Imagine being a storm chaser! Hurricanes are more predicable? Well, maybe if you get a hurricane warning, go for a very long drive? On the other hand touch down by a tornado is less predicable but less likely to cause damage than a report that says, “yep this is a #__ hurricane there goes Joe’s house coming at yeah?” Talk about damage though when a tornadoes does its thing wow, you get the point!

I’ve read hurricanes help bring in water to inland and can affect weather positively if its been dry. Anyone know what a tornado can do besides decide that farmer brown needed a new barn?
ocalhoun
Bluedoll wrote:
Anyone know what a tornado can do besides decide that farmer brown needed a new barn?

Eliminate unsightly trailer parks?
Bluedoll
Actually, I heard there was a secret home renovation association that was putting little magnets in trailers that attracted tornado's. It seems on the news everytime you hear of a tornado touching down when you run to the tv set the thing that is in your mind - yep got the trailer park.
ocalhoun
Bluedoll wrote:
Actually, I heard there was a secret home renovation association that was putting little magnets in trailers that attracted tornado's.

Yes, it's well known that tornado alley is so impacted because the native rocks in the region have a relatively high level of this tornado-magnet mineral.

The material is not particularly rare, but it is very dangerous to collect and refine, so it is difficult to obtain.