FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

'Page' Button. (A variant of reply notification.)

Would you use a 'page' button?
I'd page everybody!
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Pretty much every time I post.
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
When I want to make sure somebody reads what I wrote to them.
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Very rarely.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Never.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

ocalhoun
So, at the top of every post, next to the report button, put a 'page' button.

If that post's author has set his preferences to allow pages, clicking that button will send him an email that tells him that the topic has a reply that he specifically should read - usually a direct reply to something he posted.
The name of the user who clicked the button would also be in the email, so that the recipient could alert the Frihost staff if someone was spamming him with too many pages.

This could probably increase the quality of discussions on the forums, because it will help prevent times where a good back-and-forth discussion could have happened, but didn't because one party forgot to check the topic again.

It would also be helpful for people who don't want to sign up for reply notification because it sends too many emails... This option would send fewer emails, and would focus only on the most important ones.

It should even be relatively easy to code. The most difficult part would be adding the opt-in/opt-out interface (and backend) to the user's control panel.
Blaster
Sorry Ocalhoun but I can just see this being spammed more than anything even though people might not consider it as such. I would never personally use it

I know where you are coming from but I just don't think the general public is smart enough to use something like this.
Ghost Rider103
I think this is a great idea. I've been really hoping some sort of "subscribe to topic" or something similar would come into play here at Frihost.

I use the subscribe to topic feature at another forum and it is very, very handy. There has been several times where I've replied to a discussion and totally forgot about it. I end up stumbling across several weeks, sometimes even months later. By then the discussion has died down and my reply would be rather useless.

Wow, way to put down the "general public", Blaster.
Arseniy
Well, sometimes I'm not very active round the forums and I'm absolutely passive in my entire life. So I hate arguing, I hate impulsive discussion, I see no point in 'page' button. I don't even use subscription feature.
And yes, that will spam mailboxes a lot.
watersoul
@ocalhoun, I think this is a brilliant idea, especially if it should be easier to create than my "notification of being quoted" suggestion.

What jumped into my mind was a sort of marriage of the two where your page button has the same effects, but appears as a "quote courtesy", or "inform user of quote", something like that.
The forum rules could encourage that people always click "inform user" or whatever if you quote them, because it would be a polite forum thing to do?

Maybe a silly idea but interested in what anyone thinks, if its even possible without too much work for anyone.
Nameless
This would get abused by attention ******, that's not even a discussion.
Ghost Rider103
I don't see how this system could be abused.

If someone would subscribe to their post, they would be notified once someone responded to it. Just because someone responded to their post does not mean they will post back. If they do, and it's a useless post, it will be marked as spam and will be deleted. After that happens enough, a warning would be issued. Which I don't see anyone abusing the system to spam anyways.
Blaster
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I don't see how this system could be abused.

If someone would subscribe to their post, they would be notified once someone responded to it. Just because someone responded to their post does not mean they will post back. If they do, and it's a useless post, it will be marked as spam and will be deleted. After that happens enough, a warning would be issued. Which I don't see anyone abusing the system to spam anyways.

The way I'm reading it (i could be wrong) it sounds like he is saying that someone like me who just replied to say your topic hits a button that pages me (via email) about the update.

If i am wrong then please tell me what you mean
deanhills
I think Ocalhoun's suggestion is excellent. How I understand it is that we get a "Page" button just on top of our Posting that we can click if we want to be reminded when there is a response to our posting. What is great is that we would have the choice to make that decision instead of a blanket notification as we may not always want to receive a response. If there is a response, then we receive an e-mail, similar to the option that we have to be notified by e-mail if someone should send a PM to us in Frihost. Great idea.
ocalhoun
watersoul wrote:

What jumped into my mind was a sort of marriage of the two where your page button has the same effects, but appears as a "quote courtesy", or "inform user of quote", something like that.

That would work great, actually...

Just add a checkbox for 'inform user of quote' to phosting.php?mode=quote.

You'd still want to give users the ability to opt out of such notifications in their profile though.

Blaster wrote:
Sorry Ocalhoun but I can just see this being spammed more than anything

As long as the email being sent included only a link to the topic, a brief (server-generated) explanation, and the name of the user who sent it, what motivation would there be to spam people with it?

I could certainly understand not wanting to use it, but why would anybody want to spam people with it?