FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which one is basic requirement: job security or pay package?

Which one is basic requirement: job security or pay package?
Job Security
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
pay package
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Any other point
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

sudipbanerjee
At present I am working in a Private sector. But today I got a opportunity in Indian Government Sector. The Gross salary in the Private sector is almost 1/4th times higher than the Government sector. But in Government sector their is Job security. If I don't engaged in criminal offence nobody can sack me from my duty. I am totally confused! What should my primary need: Job security or pay package?
missdixy
sudipbanerjee wrote:
At present I am working in a Private sector. But today I got a opportunity in Indian Government Sector. The Gross salary in the Private sector is almost 1/4th times higher than the Government sector. But in Government sector their is Job security. If I don't engaged in criminal offence nobody can sack me from my duty. I am totally confused! What should my primary need: Job security or pay package?

In these times, I have to go for pay security. As long as the amount you're getting paid is still good enough to live on/get by then you should go for job security. But, of course, it also depends on your field. I'm sure there are some fields in which people are more likely to ALWAYS have a job compared to other fields. But well, I'm not even in the job market yet so who knows.
deanhills
sudipbanerjee wrote:
You've missed "job satisfaction" in your criteria. That would be number one for me. But if there is no choice, and you can only choose between job security and pay package I would go for the pay package. I prefer high-risk living. Secure jobs can sometimes be very boring, and who wants to stay in a "secure job" at a low salary for ever and ever, when everyone else would like to get rid of you.

Furthermore, you are used to the private sector and you seem to be doing well in it too, and changing from the private sector to the Government and its very bureaucractic type of work life is going to be an enormous adjustment. Perhaps you should also do some salary comparisons over the long term, i.e. calculate not only your present salary, but your total salary over "x" number of years and compare it with the total salary over "x" number of years in the Government. Try and picture yourself in ten years time in the Government, versus where you could be in the private sector.
watersoul
I actually walked away from the security of a government job after too many years stagnating and feeling that I'd wake up grey haired one day wishing I'd chased whichever dreams.
It even meant a pay-cut initially for me, but was the best decision I think I've ever made.
I feel free, and "more alive", having the challenge and excitement of keeping myself attractive to employers and/or hunting down work wherever it is.

Former colleagues tell me they wish they'd done the same thing themselves, but will I think differently when they collect their government subsidised civil service pensions? Hmm who knows!

Good luck with your choice, but don't worry about making the wrong one...you've probably got many years of working ahead of you to change your mind again Wink
standready
Here is the US, with the high unemployment, I would take job security over pay package - for now! Move later as opportunities open up in a better economy. Longest I have ever stayed at a job was 6 years. I get bored so I move on. New challenges await!
ProfessorY91
I think it depends on your profession. Remember, you're asking about evaluating a potential job based on two factors: higher job security, or higher pay. As an engineer or doctor, you inherently have higher job security (and a fairly high pay rate also). It depends on how prestigious or well recognized your degree is in the first place. Mid level, I'd go with job security. If you're offered a very stable job as a writer, go for it. If you're offered a job that could sell you out any time, don't. Its hard to tell, but there is an argument there. Personally, I think going for the higher pay scale is worth it if you handle yourself properly, and are apt at switching and finding job opportunities very fast. Chances are you'll end up with something you can stick to.
sudipbanerjee
After joining my new job I understood that Job satisfaction is an important point in life. If anybody become satisfied with his job then things become easier to handle.
icechild
sudipbanerjee wrote:

It depends on a lot of things. You have to consider a whole lot of stuff like if you loose your job, how soon will you be getting another one and then are your needs being met with whatever package you're receiving.
When you are done analysing some of these points, you can really decide which to go for.
But in a country such as mine (Nigeria=West Africa), Job security comes first, simply because you can only think of your pay package if you have a job and what is the use of earning big when you aren't sure if next pay you recieve will be your last?
Consider the fact that losing you job does'nt just leave you broke. It affects your career and ultimately your life.
Job security should be you priority.
LittleBlackKitten
If I had to pick between the two, Security would always win out. (Ironic, given my intended profession, in this economy).

Job a: Work in an office building as an avatar designer, working for the latest pet-site bought out and pimped out by Viacom (referring of course to Neopets) with high pay and the knowledge that Neopets can die off at any point and Viacom could decide you, along with the founding members, aren't worthy of Neopets, and live with the fear that the well paying job could end any day of the week, or;

Job b: Signing a 2 year contract with a web design firm for overflow work, but the pay isn't that great.

I'd take both, if possible, but if I had to choose, I'd pick b. Very Happy
soljarag
in these times Security is always best.... and 25% higher pay isn't worth the risk in Security .... if it payed 50% more... maybe...
Greatking
i believe that a person is supposed to get both job security and good pay package.
but in the unfortunate situation where you have to choose, well i would rather you look at which one is needed more, is it the money for a few months so you can move on to a better secured job, or the job security cause you really don't need the money.
tough but you have to analyze the situation and choose.
Vrythramax
With the economy the way it is I would opt for job security as opposed to a pay package. I'd rather have a job every day and have some income.

Job satisfaction is a very elusive animal now-a-days, not many people out there have the luxury of having a good job that they actually like too.
raaeft1
Both are equally important,I feel. There has to be a good substantial pay package along with job security.