FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Minecraft - what is the point?

D'Artagnan
so i played minecraft (www.minecraft.net) yesterday and tonay, i find the game ingenious and really good to begin with, besides its simplicity, its huge and you have to take in account its a lone man project. still, i dont see much of a point in the game, is it just building building and buildng or i'm missing something?
Nemesis234
get some friends together, a decent server, and then you will see the point of it.

its not a serious game by any means, but its fun once you get into it.
catscratches
What's the point of any game?
weableandbob
The most fun I've had with that is before they added the survival mode. Getting a bunch of friends together on vent and running a private server was great.
wombatrpgs
catscratches wrote:

I saw this topic title and came in just to say this, but it looks like you beat me to it.
D'Artagnan
catscratches wrote:

in a wide sense, is having fun. In an specific sense the point would be te objective of the game.

Quote:
get some friends together, a decent server, and then you will see the point of it.

its not a serious game by any means, but its fun once you get into it.

Oh! so you saing i have no friends thats it ??? Razz
achowles
Are you just playing the free version or the full thing? With the free version it really just is building. But there's a lot more to the full version. To the point where I'm left wondering if the free version isn't underselling it.

weableandbob wrote:
The most fun I've had with that is before they added the survival mode. Getting a bunch of friends together on vent and running a private server was great.

You can just switch the game to peaceful mode. Goodbye mob!
ULLE-GOOOSCh
It's so uggly but so funny:)
catscratches
D'Artagnan wrote:
catscratches wrote:

in a wide sense, is having fun. In an specific sense the point would be te objective of the game.
I don't agree all games have to be about having "fun", the same way movies and books don't have to be. But that's for another topic, Minecraft appears to be clearly made to be "fun".

What's supposed to be fun about Minecraft is, as I've gotten it, primarily the openness of the world, the free nature of the gameplay and the challenge aspect (if you're playing with enemies). It has an approach in that it's easy to learn but hard to master. It's mechanics are simple and easy yet there are very few limits to what you can do.

A game does not have to have a specific, explicit objective. There are many popular games that don't state their objectives, eg. Sims and other sandbox games. The objective could simply be: "experience!".
wombatrpgs
Or just the objective being entertainment, which is universal no matter what the stated objective is...
amperx
well obviously to have fun Very Happy i believe games are meant to be played with that perspective in mind
drunkenkoz
Minecraft is just a source of entertainment. You can build what ever comes to mind. I mean I built an entire robot out of dirt.
wombatrpgs
drunkenkoz wrote:
Minecraft is just a source of entertainment. You can build what ever comes to mind. I mean I built an entire robot out of dirt.

Well, aren't all games "sources of entertainment?"
watersoul
This topic has made me chuckle a few times because my son is completely into Minecraft, and I kind of 'don't get it' myself.
We had a chat and I showed him this topic asking the same question, his response was:
It's fun, I like designing the worlds and fighting 'creepers' and zombies

I still don't think I'll get into it myself though, the graphics are really poor and reminds me of the early 90's game Doom which I used to love back then, but we've moved on a bit from there now. Laughing
wombatrpgs
As has been said, "poor" isn't synonomous with low-fidelity or retro. Hell, I prefer it to realistic.
watersoul
wombatrpgs wrote:
As has been said, "poor" isn't synonomous with low-fidelity or retro. Hell, I prefer it to realistic.

I agree to an extent and I guess it's personal taste, but I like the advancements we've made since Sinclair ZX81's Laughing
silver67
Minecraft is one of the only games that keeps you hooked. For me it is definitely having the ability to create anything that you can imagine. From giant castles with lava motes to a 2x2 wooden box for only protection this game has endless building possibilities. Also the diversity of blocks allows for different building styles and architecture.

Another thing that makes this game great is the modding community. Notch (the creator) of the game leaves a lot of the development of the game up the the community behind it. And, having the game so open ended leaves for a multitude of mods to give the game more direction or purpose.

The replay value of the game is also through the roof. As I already said you can build anything you can possibly dream of, but to add to that, the worlds you spawn are completely new every single time. Its always great to log into a new game and see a new and interesting world with rolling hills or steep mountains.

ANOTHER great thing about Minecraft is that multi-player capability. Spelunking with some friends in search of diamond and gold can be just as fun as building for some people. Or even others just enjoy exploring the randomly seeded maps that are unique and each has different formations and anomalies.

All in all I would give Minecraft a 10/10.

My answer to the question asked is this: The point of Minecraft is whatever you want it to be. Killing monsters? Cool. Building cities? Awesome.
achowles
wombatrpgs wrote:

In an ideal world they would be. But unfortunately they often wind up being more annoying than anything. Be it due to DRM, the fact that it's released before its finished or simply some major design failures a lot of games turn out to be more annoying than fun.
QrafTee
I think the point of Minecraft is to have fun, waste time, and hide from zombies.
foumy6
I hate this game with a pasion because it has stollen all of my friends away from the games we usually play online together in groups. Now they are all trying to me to play it claiming that it is super addictive and amazing. I looked at and said no way. I have a graphics card for a reason i want good graphics not 8bit pixxles >_> this game is a menace and needs to be stopped! Laughing Twisted Evil
Zenk
It can make a zombie out of people :/ Can get really addicted, half of my class is playing it Mad
kacsababa
And why are you mad about that?
wombatrpgs
foumy6 wrote:
I hate this game with a pasion because it has stollen all of my friends away from the games we usually play online together in groups. Now they are all trying to me to play it claiming that it is super addictive and amazing. I looked at and said no way. I have a graphics card for a reason i want good graphics not 8bit pixxles >_> this game is a menace and needs to be stopped! Laughing Twisted Evil

Uh... Have you ever actually tried it instead of just balking at the graphics...?
ProwerBot
Minecraft is indeed a strange game. It's rather addicting and an absolutely amazing time killer. I can't see much of a point in it either, but then again is there really even a point of most games out there?
Insanity
I think it's because Minecraft allows you to do so much. It leaves it up to the imagination.
wombatrpgs
Insanity wrote:
I think it's because Minecraft allows you to do so much. It leaves it up to the imagination.

There are a lot of games like that, worldbuilders and the like, that never really take off. Playing with friends is probably the best thing that can be done. So it's kind of a Catch-22, you have to have a community to get any players. Maybe that means it was only by chance that it's so popular, hm...
drunkenkoz
wombatrpgs wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:

Yes all games are indeed sources of entertainment, but Minecraft is just one of those games that comes once in a while. The whole concept of the game was brilliant, being able to build what you want, how you want it, and having this entire world that belongs to just you. Minecraft is one of the only games that you can build unique structures with. (Yes I know about the Sims, but it's not as advanced as Minecraft)
wombatrpgs
drunkenkoz wrote:

Yes all games are indeed sources of entertainment, but Minecraft is just one of those games that comes once in a while. The whole concept of the game was brilliant, being able to build what you want, how you want it, and having this entire world that belongs to just you. Minecraft is one of the only games that you can build unique structures with. (Yes I know about the Sims, but it's not as advanced as Minecraft)

Well, building stuff is entertaining anyway... Seems to be the game of legos, not that there's anything wrong with that.
drunkenkoz
wombatrpgs wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:

Well, building stuff is entertaining anyway... Seems to be the game of legos, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I agree that the game is like legos, but there's just so much more you can do in it other than just building. For example you can compose music, create custom maps dedicated to rpg, and other things.
Flakky
I am seriously addicted to Minecraft.
There is no goal in the game you have to set them yourself.
It is mostly imagination. This leads you either have no idea what to do and dislike the game or get obsessed and dig it Wink
wombatrpgs
So, how are you guys doing after the LulzSec attack?
Flakky
wombatrpgs wrote:
Did not notice a thing. When did it happen?

Looking for more info, they are grey hat so no threat due to morality.
gphoenix
i have heard of it ..but have never seen it..sadly i cant check it out as my pc is busted and i am on my mobile..is the game in 3d.?
emanuel2
I have minecraft also for some time, but it gets boring at a specific point, when you tried out (nearly) everything. At the moment I play "terraria". Terraria is a 3D adaption of minecraft. It is really funny. Especially you don't feel so all alone (in single player), since there are NPCs. These NPCs life in your house if you build rooms for them. Such NPCs are for example merchants and healers. Also cool at Terraria is that there are magic items and end bosses.

So if you like Minecraft you should try Terraria Smile
wombatrpgs
Ha, sounds a lot more like a traditional game than a sandbox.
drunkenkoz
wombatrpgs wrote:

What are you talking about? LulzSec never attacked Minecraft.
kacsababa
Yes they did, I think it was on 14th.
Flakky
emanuel2 wrote:
So if you like Minecraft you should try Terraria Smile
Haha you'd be surprised how many reviewers have said the same Wink It is true yet the lack of a third perspective puts me in favor of Minecraft. Terraria is a good game yet it does not allow me to be creative enough.

@kacsababa and @drunkenkoz,
Yes, after I did some more research Minecraft has been hacked on the 14th though I have no idea what their objective was or whether they have done anything permanent.
wombatrpgs
drunkenkoz wrote:

What are you talking about? LulzSec never attacked Minecraft.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/14/lulzsec-minecraft/
They DDoS'd the login servers. Sure, it's not a hack, but if you don't call that an attack, then you're kind of pushing it.
kacsababa
Yeah, LulzSec only DDoSed a few game related networks, including minecraft, hacker trolls...
wombatrpgs
kacsababa wrote:
Yeah, LulzSec only DDoSed a few game related networks, including minecraft, hacker trolls...

Ha, trolls is definitely the right word to use here.
kacsababa
Although I wasn't accurate there, because they DDoS-ed a few other sites too (FBI, CIA and US government related public sites), but that what they do, DDoS, which actually isn't really hacking. The only thing which was actually could be called as hacking is MySQL injection at Sony's Playstation Online database, but that was a jerk move too.
Asap170
You played the online version which is very very very outdated and boring. You want to actually get the game it's fun. You basically build anything you want that's why it's so fun.
D'Artagnan
looking back on this post, i actually find myself guilty of trolling, i did realized it was kinda of "half assed"
foumy6
I am such a hypocrit because after what I said I am now an avid Minecraft player and even paid for the full version. It acually is a very fun game you can build kill monsters and many other things. My favorit new thing is the enemey call the enderman. They are totally black except for there eyes and they spawn at night. They will leave you alone as long as you don't put your curser on them cause if you do then you take it off of them they will attack you very violenley and it wont take them long to kill you.
wombatrpgs
foumy6 wrote:
I am such a hypocrit because after what I said I am now an avid Minecraft player and even paid for the full version. It acually is a very fun game you can build kill monsters and many other things. My favorit new thing is the enemey call the enderman. They are totally black except for there eyes and they spawn at night. They will leave you alone as long as you don't put your curser on them cause if you do then you take it off of them they will attack you very violenley and it wont take them long to kill you.

Ha, so their only interaction is to kill the unwary...? Seems rather gimmicky.
Asap170
Yep basically. And if anyone wants to join my server PM me cause I will let you in.
wombatrpgs
Asap170 wrote:
Yep basically. And if anyone wants to join my server PM me cause I will let you in.

Hm, actually, I've been wondering... Is it possible to make modifications on servers, or is the only purpose to play with your friends?
Asap170
wombatrpgs wrote:
Asap170 wrote:

Hm, actually, I've been wondering... Is it possible to make modifications on servers, or is the only purpose to play with your friends?

There is Bukit and something else that makes mods. Like I could make it always sunny and that or make it never rain. Depends on what you want. There is also a Job mod that you can do.
drunkenkoz
Asap170 wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
Asap170 wrote:

There is Bukit and something else that makes mods. Like I could make it always sunny and that or make it never rain. Depends on what you want. There is also a Job mod that you can do.

You can basically do anything you want with the bukkit server. You can even make a full on role-playing server with it's own base economy.
Asap170
drunkenkoz wrote:
Asap170 wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
Asap170 wrote:

You can basically do anything you want with the bukkit server. You can even make a full on role-playing server with it's own base economy.

What he said.
kiralight
when i play it, the message says about my opengl..
yeah i know.. my computer is not support opengl.. now, how i can play minecraft?.
sorry for my bad english
wobbleman
catscratches wrote:

There is never really any point to a game. Except 1 thing. to have fun.
silverdown
The point is you waste your money so u can play a game that has no point or ending until you finally uninstall it and realize... o shizzle... why a worthless purchase. And the moral of the concept is... think before you actually buy something or you end up with a question like "Why did i buy this?"

Yes I did that as i stated above.. I don't get the point in it but i didn't think about it til after i got it.
wobbleman
D'Artagnan wrote:
so i played minecraft (www.minecraft.net) yesterday and tonay, i find the game ingenious and really good to begin with, besides its simplicity, its huge and you have to take in account its a lone man project. still, i dont see much of a point in the game, is it just building building and buildng or i'm missing something?

ok you do build stuff. you can also go hunting for animals. kill zombies, creepers ex.

and if you play a mulit player server with freinds you can make towns house's. you can go fighting with anyone if its pvp (allow to fight) you can't destroy stuff or they will ban you off the server if you get seen. if you they allow you to you can steel stuff. and some server have part that you can go to war. pick a side and fight steel and other stuff. so what i am trying to say you can do more then just building.
Mr_Howl
I heard of a game recently called Ace of Spades. Apparently it's like Minecraft, except you also have guns. And you're on a team. So instead of just building for fun, your goal is to build a defensible structure.

Haven't tried it yet myself, but it seems like a sweet idea. It's in Beta right now though.
wombatrpgs
Mr_Howl wrote:
I heard of a game recently called Ace of Spades. Apparently it's like Minecraft, except you also have guns. And you're on a team. So instead of just building for fun, your goal is to build a defensible structure.

Haven't tried it yet myself, but it seems like a sweet idea. It's in Beta right now though.

There seem to be a ton of clones/derivatives now... Terraria is the only one I've heard good things about though.
Dementei
Mr_Howl wrote:

The first session I played of Ace of Spaces there was someone using aimbot, but for the couple minutes I was playing it seemed okay as an in-browser game except for the cheaters.
MiNeR1245
D'Artagnan wrote:

You could play by yourself or you could create a minecraft story and post it on youtube,im only 11 but i have done this before.
dohzr
Minecraft gets old after a couple of days though. I do check it out every now and then when patches come out.
Ultrak1ll
Damn I cant understand whats fun about putting a block on a block (really I cant understand how it can be fun). Maybe because I have made too many game maps for different fps games. Confused
catscratches
That's the very foundation of LEGO.
wombatrpgs
Ultrak1ll wrote:
Damn I cant understand whats fun about putting a block on a block (really I cant understand how it can be fun). Maybe because I have made too many game maps for different fps games. Confused

Wait... you said you do this a ton and then don't understand how it's fun?
hitose
A magical world full of cubes where there is no goal or a point to which come as a hobby you can do all archiviement's at any rate over time would be boring, even that can be very time of your life doing a large construction ideal for us perhaps even one day a good creeper arrived and ssh ... bom, would end up with a great depression? I like a lot! Even that game seasons only when I feel creative.
wombatrpgs
hitose wrote:
A magical world full of cubes where there is no goal or a point to which come as a hobby you can do all archiviement's at any rate over time would be boring, even that can be very time of your life doing a large construction ideal for us perhaps even one day a good creeper arrived and ssh ... bom, would end up with a great depression? I like a lot! Even that game seasons only when I feel creative.

Legos don't have creepers either~
Gregoric
When I have been playing Minecraft, I enjoyed only one 'world' which I created. Firstly there was creation of pople things, exploring different parts of world and searching for things unavailable around my built house like cactus. Then I started digging deeper and deeper to find rare materials and build some more advanced train railroads for better transport. Then, the game started to become boring because I've found mostly everything so I just left it.

That's what was the game for me but did it have any particular aim? I don't know. It was a new, fresh, creative thing but gameslay had no serious sense. I think it would have a huge use in primary schools to extend children imagination (after improving graphics, to not kill child eyes).
wombatrpgs
Gregoric wrote:

That's what was the game for me but did it have any particular aim? I don't know. It was a new, fresh, creative thing but gameslay had no serious sense. I think it would have a huge use in primary schools to extend children imagination (after improving graphics, to not kill child eyes).

Haha, isn't that what legos are for?

Anyway, I've seen people start to use it like any other social game -- as a way to keep in touch with friends. Sort of seems like a Zynga-ish thing but it's interesting nonetheless.
milkshake01
Minecraft is a great game. I play it often.
silverdown
I a map builders game for creative people, however I think once it was used it grew on from that becoming a Massive Multiplayer Online RPG or single player platform game. In my opinion, I think the create/developers were stunned themselves.
BocajDude
I used to be addicted.. got over it. But I can't understand how you wouldn't like it. It like the open source game of a lifetime, because of the fact its so basic and can be added onto.

Just install a mod or something and enjoy yourself. Here is a good one I have used before:

http://forums.yogscast.com/showthread.php?11841-yogbox-v1-2-1-latest-news-at-end-of-thread!

it adds way too many things to count and gives you an objective to play.
wombatrpgs
BocajDude wrote:
I used to be addicted.. got over it. But I can't understand how you wouldn't like it. It like the open source game of a lifetime, because of the fact its so basic and can be added onto.

Just install a mod or something and enjoy yourself. Here is a good one I have used before:

http://forums.yogscast.com/showthread.php?11841-yogbox-v1-2-1-latest-news-at-end-of-thread!

it adds way too many things to count and gives you an objective to play.

Yogscast is the only reason I would ever play Minecraft.
medim84
I play Settlers Online, is it similar to Mincraft