FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Philippines

bj_espiritu
Quote:
The second-largest archipelago in the world, with over 7000 tropical islands, the Philippines is one of the great treasures of Southeast Asia. Often overlooked by travellers because of its location on the ‘wrong’ side of the South China Sea, the Philippines rewards those who go the extra distance to reach it. And because it’s off the beaten path, the Philippines is a great place to escape the hordes who descend on other parts of Southeast Asia. First and foremost, the Philippines is a place of natural wonders – a string of coral-fringed islands strewn across a vast expanse of the western Pacific. Below sea level, the Philippines boasts some of the world’s best diving and snorkelling, including wreck diving around Coron and swimming with the whale sharks off Donsol. Above sea level, it has a fantastic landscape with wonders enough to stagger even the most jaded traveller: the Chocolate Hills of Bohol, Banaue & the Rice Terraces and fascinating reminders of the islands’ history in places such as Samar & Leyte and Vigan. And if you’re after palm-fringed, white-sand beaches, try laidback Sipalay or flat-out party town Boracay.

Of course, any traveller who has been here will tell you that it’s the people and their culture that makes the Philippines unique. Long poised at the centre of Southeast Asian trade, colonised by a succession of world powers, the Philippines is a vivid tapestry that reflects its varied cultural inheritance. And despite the poverty that afflicts much of the nation, the Filipinos themselves are among the most ebullient and easygoing people anywhere. The Philippines truly qualifies as one of the last great frontiers in Southeast Asian travel. Cross whichever ocean you need to and see for yourself.
mOrpheuS wrote:
Quote tags added. Please use quote tags around text that you haven't written yourself.
rogue_skydragon
I absolutely agree. I may be a little bit biased seeing as how I myself am an individual who comes from a strong Filipino family, but the Philippines is definitely the best escape for those who get caught up in what most call an overly "western" lifestyle. The Philippines is a unique mix between western and southeast asian society, and because of that, visitors immerse themselves in an experience that cannot be matched elsewhere.
macky
that's right... Philippines would always be that... rich in industrial and natural resources... i guess

Philippines has about its 90 million people living... and the country is very much popular...
standready
Do you think I could have one those seven thousand islands to myself? I need to getaway.
jwellsy
PI is a beautiful place. But, I recommend that tourists unfortunately should restrict their itineraries to just Manila. The unrest with the rebels is still esculating. Of course all the missionary killings have been in the news over the past couple of years. But, just a couple of days ago it looks like they may have killed more innocents.
Quote:
Philippine army, rebels clash kills two bystanders

(AFP) – 3 days ago

MANILA — A Philippine power firm said Wednesday a member of its staff and a consultant were killed along with another civilian when they were caught in crossfire between government troops and leftist rebels.

Leonardo Co, a prominent botanist hired by Energy Development Corp as a consultant for a reforestation project, and a company guard were shot dead in a forest on the central island of Leyte on Monday.

A local farmer who acted as their guide was also killed during a firefight between the Philippine army and suspected New People's Army guerrillas, company spokesman Fernando Diaz de Rivera told AFP.

The 5,000-member Maoist rebel group has been waging a decades-old armed campaign across much of the Philippines, including Leyte where Energy Development, a listed company, operates power plants.

De Rivera said that Co, a botanist at the University of the Philippines, was working as a consultant.

All his movements in the area, where the leftist rebels are known to operate, were coordinated with the military in advance, the company spokesman said.

Military spokesmen in Manila had no immediate comment.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper quoted the area's military spokesmen as saying that the military had no idea whose bullets killed the victims, but that the three men were not targeted by the armed forces.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iav4jpTPa57j8MV-8DN10Zkpc40Q?docId=CNG.a4b7d13a383c27ada09ff8d773de7255.201
ujjawall
All his movements in the area, where the leftist rebels are known to operate, were coordinated with the military in advance, the company spokesman said.
ujjawall
First and foremost, the Philippines is a place of natural wonders – a string of coral-fringed islands strewn across a vast expanse of the western Pacific. Below sea level, the Philippines boasts some of the world’s best diving and snorkelling, including wreck diving around Coron and swimming with the whale sharks off Donsol. Above sea level, it has a fantastic landscape with wonders enough to stagger even the most jaded traveller: the Chocolate Hills of Bohol, Banaue & the Rice Terraces and fascinating reminders of the islands’ history in places Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Razz Razz
tingkagol
In all my experiences snorkeling around Cebu, I was blown away by the corals in Moalboal. There's an area the locals call "The Fish Sanctuary" where all these lovely fish and corals lie just a couple of meters away from the shore, and they sit right at the edge of a deep sea channel. That's an underwater cliff running down to about a hundred feet or even more- you can't see the bottom. All you see is darkness. The whole ensemble of beautiful corals seemingly engulfed by the monstrous deep sea channel is quite aesthetically pleasing.

I was pretty pissed I didn't bring my waterproof camera with me!

Sad
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
In all my experiences snorkeling around Cebu, I was blown away by the corals in Moalboal. There's an area the locals call "The Fish Sanctuary" where all these lovely fish and corals lie just a couple of meters away from the shore, and they sit right at the edge of a deep sea channel. That's an underwater cliff running down to about a hundred feet or even more- you can't see the bottom. All you see is darkness. The whole ensemble of beautiful corals seemingly engulfed by the monstrous deep sea channel is quite aesthetically pleasing.

Sad
I would love to visit this place as being in the water, either diving or snorkelling is one of my favourite past times. Is Cebu a well known place, how big is it?
paolord
standready wrote:
Do you think I could have one those seven thousand islands to myself? I need to getaway.

You can buy one if you can. I read that a lot of islands in palawan are for sale. I'm not sure though if foreigners can buy one.
macky
yes of course philippines is a wonderful land...
mukesh
Philippines have a large population. In world of warcraft game i have 2 or 3 player which is my freind but i have no more link about this place.
ronartos
Yes Warcraft and DOTA are huge here in the Philippines
tingkagol
deanhills wrote:
tingkagol wrote:

Sad
I would love to visit this place as being in the water, either diving or snorkelling is one of my favourite past times. Is Cebu a well known place, how big is it?

If you're a diver, I'm afraid I won't be much help since I know nothing about diving. Smile I snorkel, and that's it. I'd probably just point you to the Tubbataha Reefs near Palawan if you're serious about diving / finding the most exotic fish/corals...

As for Cebu, it's probably the next popular province/city next to Manila. It's not that industrialized, so traffic is not as bad as Manila. But what really separates itself from Manila is the easy access to white sand beaches and the mountains. (Personally, I loathe Manila. Smile )

Let me warn you though that Cebu is not exempt from the grip of Philippine poverty, so you might have to think twice before going out by yourself. Mugging incidents is quite commonplace, but mostly in the cities. There are like 3-4 densely populated cities within Cebu province (that includes Cebu City), and there's 40+ municipalities that are away from the cities which are generally quite peaceful as far as crimes go. That's also where the best beaches in Cebu are located (Moalboal, Bantayan Island, Malapascua Island, Camotes, etc).
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
Let me warn you though that Cebu is not exempt from the grip of Philippine poverty, so you might have to think twice before going out by yourself. Mugging incidents is quite commonplace, but mostly in the cities. There are like 3-4 densely populated cities within Cebu province (that includes Cebu City), and there's 40+ municipalities that are away from the cities which are generally quite peaceful as far as crimes go. That's also where the best beaches in Cebu are located (Moalboal, Bantayan Island, Malapascua Island, Camotes, etc).
Thanks for the warning. Will definitely make me think twice. Probably means then that it is a high-crime area as well?
jwellsy
PI does have a lot of history in it's waters with lots of spider conchs, cowries and spent ammo casings.

Another place for great diving is Pataya Beach Thailand. They used to have glass bottom boats that ran out to various dive sites.
tingkagol
deanhills wrote:
tingkagol wrote:
Thanks for the warning. Will definitely make me think twice. Probably means then that it is a high-crime area as well?

Definitely. Crimes are mostly concentrated to the slums. So unless you have some important reason to go to the slums, I think you're going to be ok.

I don't frequent the slums, but I've had my experiences as well. I created another thread down at General Chat for that. Smile
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-122054.html
dengerojame
maybe one day I would like to see is Philippines View
nigam
Cebu is peaceful place somehow compared to Manila...Cebu is very accessible to Bohol in which you can really find beautiful spots...We had our tour last Jan. 28, it was really fun and a memorable one. We went to Loboc River, a floating restaurant. they were singers and dancers, that will entertained you...there once a full stop where you can join with them singing and dancing...it was really fun.there are lots of white sand beaches in Panglao, Bohol..a very beautiful place...just like you were in heaven Smile I lived in Cebu but if you like go to other islands..it very accessible to nice spots...
sketteksalfa
standready wrote:

Go find yourself a filipina wife and you can get one of those Island. You need to at least marry a filipino/filipina to own a business or buy a land Smile
airh3ad
My philippines my native land you all welcome here to my promising country, just look my signature to tour our islands.
webpinoy
sketteksalfa wrote:
standready wrote:

Go find yourself a filipina wife and you can get one of those Island. You need to at least marry a filipino/filipina to own a business or buy a land Smile

Sorry to disappoint you but even if you marry a filipino/filipina you can not own your business or buy a land. You would have to do it at the name of your partner which I can NOT recommend.

But anyway, Philippines is a nice place - for travel and for living. Also foreigners have some opportunities to stay, not only the marriage solution.
menino
I've heard of the Philippines being a great place to travel.
I've heard mainly of Borocai (I hope that the spelling is right). I love snorkeling, and would love to see the ones in and around the Islands of Philippines.
Now that I've heard of Cebu in this post, I'll definitely plan a travel along that way as well.
The only problem is planning - when is the best time to visit Philippines?
Is it too cold in winter.... I prefer moderate climates, instead of too Hot or too cold, but mild enought to swim in.
portoskt
i have never been in asia before, but if ill ever go there ill visit phils for sure... dont know why, i like that country )))
Greatking
i have heard that Philippines is a beautiful country.
and would love to visit the place one day
i just went on google and its sure is true, it is a very beautiful country.
God is great!
celebi269
First of all, I'm a Filipino. Not being biased, but I can say that the Philippines is truly a wonder of the world -- and a country to die for. Aside from its breathtaking and awesome sceneries, the people of our country is very warm and hospitable. You can also feel our rich history and culture by visiting different provinces.

But people are worrying that our country are being attacked by rebels. This should not be your greatest fear. The rebels are located deep in the jungles of Southern Mindanao, and our government is doing its best to keep them away from the civilians. And don't worry, they won't make it to the capital because of the tight security given by the Philippine military -- so you'll get a tight sleep.

Explore the Philippines and you will never regret what you came for!
deanhills
celebi269 wrote:
I've heard there are areas of the Philippines where people who are sick go to for healing. I.e. healing waters, do you know of those areas, and where are they? Very Happy
celebi269
deanhills wrote:
celebi269 wrote:
I've heard there are areas of the Philippines where people who are sick go to for healing. I.e. healing waters, do you know of those areas, and where are they? Very Happy

I haven't visited those places yet, but I know there are a lot of them all over the country. There are some in Laguna and Cavite (Luzon), Butuan City (Mindanao) and in Visayas. Also, you can try visiting churches in Baclaran (Metro Manila) and other shrines (you can Google them).
iChill
The Philippines looks like a reptile or I dunno a Long armed T-Rex. Or it can be a Kangaroo I dunno
u16888
paolord wrote:
standready wrote:

You can buy one if you can. I read that a lot of islands in palawan are for sale. I'm not sure though if foreigners can buy one.

foreigners cannot buy it, but the company can do. so regist a company 1st, I can help u to do it
weltkarte
deanhills wrote:
celebi269 wrote:

Yes, there are a lot of places like that. As the people are very religious (Catholics) such places are mainly churches. Go there and believe in the healing so you might be helthier afterwards...
But there are much other nice things to do in that country. Just avoid their dirty cities (Manila, Cebu) and go to one of the wonderful island. As there are more than 700 of them there is a good choice.

I wish I could go soon again!
chic4u03
indeed sorry for being biased lol! i love coz that is my native land,Philippines is the pearl of the
orient! i always vist my country every year,i love the beaches very beuatiful & ofcourse the foods
there....your all welcome to visit my country...
genej0rd
menino wrote:
I've heard of the Philippines being a great place to travel.
I've heard mainly of Borocai (I hope that the spelling is right). I love snorkeling, and would love to see the ones in and around the Islands of Philippines.
Now that I've heard of Cebu in this post, I'll definitely plan a travel along that way as well.
Is it too cold in winter.... I prefer moderate climates, instead of too Hot or too cold, but mild enought to swim in.

There's no winter in this tropical island paradise, so you can come and visit anytime you like. However, I would advise you to come between December to May where there are lots of festivities going on and no rain or typhoon during this time. The places are beautiful and the people are not only beautiful but very friendly and hospitable with ready smile for everyone. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
rogue_skydragon
Cebu is definitely one of the locales I'd like to visit the next time I'm in the Philippines. Boracay is on my list as well! Ahhhh! Can't wait.
loremar
YESSSS!!!! The Island of Cebu, Queen City of the South. That's where I live. Very Happy
FastDebrid
standready wrote:
\

Well, perhaps if you're that rich.hihih ;P
FastDebrid
jwellsy wrote:
PI is a beautiful place. But, I recommend that tourists unfortunately should restrict their itineraries to just Manila. The unrest with the rebels is still esculating. Of course all the missionary killings have been in the news over the past couple of years. But, just a couple of days ago it looks like they may have killed more innocents.
Quote:
Philippine army, rebels clash kills two bystanders

(AFP) – 3 days ago

MANILA — A Philippine power firm said Wednesday a member of its staff and a consultant were killed along with another civilian when they were caught in crossfire between government troops and leftist rebels.

Leonardo Co, a prominent botanist hired by Energy Development Corp as a consultant for a reforestation project, and a company guard were shot dead in a forest on the central island of Leyte on Monday.

A local farmer who acted as their guide was also killed during a firefight between the Philippine army and suspected New People's Army guerrillas, company spokesman Fernando Diaz de Rivera told AFP.

The 5,000-member Maoist rebel group has been waging a decades-old armed campaign across much of the Philippines, including Leyte where Energy Development, a listed company, operates power plants.

De Rivera said that Co, a botanist at the University of the Philippines, was working as a consultant.

Military spokesmen in Manila had no immediate comment.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper quoted the area's military spokesmen as saying that the military had no idea whose bullets killed the victims, but that the three men were not targeted by the armed forces.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iav4jpTPa57j8MV-8DN10Zkpc40Q?docId=CNG.a4b7d13a383c27ada09ff8d773de7255.201

It's saddening to know that civilians get caught in several fights. I wish there was no fighting at all. :S
deanhills
FastDebrid wrote:
It's saddening to know that civilians get caught in several fights. I wish there was no fighting at all. :S
What was Mao Tse Tsung's motto? No struggle no progress. Maybe fighting is part of our genes? Very Happy
tingkagol
menino wrote:

Around February through June. I wouldn't advise traveling between islands/islets during the 'ber' months when typhoons are a-plenty. I had to learn that the hard way. When I was in college we decided to go to Malapascua Island on November and despite the signal # 1 or 2 typhoon, we chartered a small boat and made our way to the island and didn't quite expect that the waves were going to be HUGE. We were scared to death and felt nauseous for the whole 30 minutes of the trip. When we got there, the beach was a mess. Apparently when it's windy, the waters get murky with all sorts of debris- from seaweeds to coconuts and coconut leaves.

The absolute best time for the beach is March through May.
Quote:

It never gets cold in the Phils. All sunny throughout. Some rains near the end of the year, but scarce. It can get a bit too hot and humid though.
FastDebrid
deanhills wrote:
FastDebrid wrote:
What was Mao Tse Tsung's motto? No struggle no progress. Maybe fighting is part of our genes? Very Happy

I'm torn between agreeing and opposing. I know it is a reality that fighting brings the worst and the best in people. I just don't like the negative consequences it brings.
portoskt
before some time, i have many friends there in phills and i have learn about that country a lot. it is interesting place to visit, but i think that anyone who is going there must have some locals friends to show country around... very big country, with big differences, beautiful nature, but sometime danger places for tourists... anyway, i still hope that ill visit it soon
nigam
Cebu is just one place who mostly visited by tourist. Hotels are fully booked as of last year near the city. Now, Sinulog Festival is coming up and is fast approaching. You should plan ahead to visit every 1st week of January 'til 3rd Sunday of the month as it is very a memorable one! and also, Cebu is very near to other nearby islands where you can visit other places and see around other beautiful tourists spots outside Cebu as well.
tingkagol
I'm fed up with the yearly Sinulog festivities. It's basically the same parade recycled over and over again.
loremar
tingkagol wrote:
I'm fed up with the yearly Sinulog festivities. It's basically the same parade recycled over and over again.

I dunno. I don't celebrate Sinulog anymore but people seems to be having fun. I remember it was fun when I was a kid - the sinulog beat, dance, masks and all. I'm not sure anymore if everyone really do it for religious reasons, I'm simply clueless. Or everyone just having fun? and that it's because it's a cebuano thing or what?

I'm really confused about the Sto. Nino. Does everyone think Sto. Nino is the child Jesus? When they think that Sto. Nino heals and makes miracles, do they think it is Jesus? Or cebuanos just reconnecting with the pre-colonial culture of anitos and diwatas?

I bet everyone doesn't even know what Viva Pit Senior means. Heck, I don't even know what it means.
LegendVPN
"Viva Pit Senyor" as I just searched it are words of praise and petition.