FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Email notification when someone quotes your comments?

watersoul
Hi all,

Done a few searches with no joy so I'll post the question here...

Sometimes I'll post a reply and that is basically my statement/answer for the given topic, but even if other people reply and I get a notification I might not re-visit the thread to check if a reply from me is needed.

If someone had quoted me though, I would normally want to reply as I wouldn't want someone to think I'd ignored it, especially if they had an alternative view which could generate interesting discussion.

To that end, I was just wondering if a function could be made where an email was sent, or a new notification/message to let us know if we've been quoted anywhere?

If it was an easy job to create I really think it would be a useful little option for the forums so I'll look forward to hearing the expert opinions.
Nameless
I'll second this idea, for basically the same reasons. The only obvious problem that comes to mind is that people might start to rely on it, not bothering to check threads they've posted in at all, and then miss any relevant replies that don't use direct quotes.
watersoul
Nameless wrote:
I'll second this idea, for basically the same reasons. The only obvious problem that comes to mind is that people might start to rely on it, not bothering to check threads they've posted in at all, and then miss any relevant replies that don't use direct quotes.

I know, its a tricky one finding that balance between convenient functions and stuff that makes us lazy.
You could be right there, but I am drawn to thinking that if someone was interested in a topic enough to reply, then they are more likely to check back anyway - not including the "posting to get back into Frih$ credit" replies, of course!
deanhills
Excellent suggestion Watersoul, as this is my experience as well. It quite often happens to me that someone has quoted me, and I was unaware of the response to my posting. And yes, I'm certain that that person may have thought it rude that I did not respond.

Is it technically possible to alert someone of a quote?
ocalhoun
While I personally wouldn't use it -- I always read any replies to topics I post in -- I do think it would be a great thing to have.

It may be horrendously difficult to code, but perhaps also email notify the user if their name is in a reply to a topic they posted in? Especially if in a format like "@username: blah blah blah..."... Which would also indicate a two-way discussion, though there might not be any quote involved.

---Idea---
Perhaps instead of or in addition to a quote notification function, add in a button on the top of every post... a 'page' button, perhaps. Clicking that button would notify the author of that post that there is a reply someone wants him to read.
Of course, you could opt in or opt out of 'pages' in your preferences... And perhaps the identity of the paging user should be in the email, so the person being paged can alert the mods if someone is paging them excessively.
--> Creating a spin-off suggestion for a 'page button'. Please discuss that part in the new topic rather than side-tracking this one.
---/Idea---

...Both the original idea and the one I just added could seriously improve the quality of some of the discussions.
nam_siddharth
watersoul wrote:
Hi all,

Done a few searches with no joy so I'll post the question here...

Sometimes I'll post a reply and that is basically my statement/answer for the given topic, but even if other people reply and I get a notification I might not re-visit the thread to check if a reply from me is needed.

If someone had quoted me though, I would normally want to reply as I wouldn't want someone to think I'd ignored it, especially if they had an alternative view which could generate interesting discussion.

To that end, I was just wondering if a function could be made where an email was sent, or a new notification/message to let us know if we've been quoted anywhere?

If it was an easy job to create I really think it would be a useful little option for the forums so I'll look forward to hearing the expert opinions.

It is certainly a good idea. But I think it will be very hard to implemented. The poster being quoted should be sent alert even if he is partially quoted.
sonam
Hmmmmm....
Replying only on quoted posts will produce discusion between two, three person and exclude other. I sow lot of topic where some people qote and discus something what is not in correlation with topic just because noone don't want to stop. For me the link "View your posts" on home page is enought to see if is something new posted in topic where I have replly.

Sonam
watersoul
sonam wrote:
Hmmmmm....
Replying only on quoted posts will produce discusion between two, three person and exclude other. I sow lot of topic where some people qote and discus something what is not in correlation with topic just because noone don't want to stop. For me the link "View your posts" on home page is enought to see if is something new posted in topic where I have replly.

Sonam

I do that myself, and if I log in regularly that gets the same result, so yep, I'll agree there.

But maybe if there are a lot of posts to trawl through, or you've been away, it would be easier knowing straight away that none of them involved you (by not having been quoted), so it's less important to have to read every one?
deanhills
sonam wrote:
Hmmmmm....

Sonam
I also get irritated with one on one or three way discussions that go on exclusively for more than a number of rounds and exclude others, and you're right, very often those discussions may be on side topics, and not the main topic. I can't however see how the notification system would make it any worse than it already is. Ocalhoun made a suggestion in a different thread that you may want to look at. I thought his was an excellent idea:

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-119498.html
speeDemon
I've thought about this quite a few number of times.. but I just thought that posting it was pointless, because of the reason already mentioned..
sonam
deanhills wrote:
I also get irritated with one on one or three way discussions that go on exclusively for more than a number of rounds and exclude others, and you're right, very often those discussions may be on side topics, and not the main topic. I can't however see how the notification system would make it any worse than it already is. Ocalhoun made a suggestion in a different thread that you may want to look at. I thought his was an excellent idea:

@page button (little bit oftopic)
Actually I don't like if someone try to call me on posting by sending mail to me. What is important for him/her maybe is not important for me. Then, if he/she calls me too often then I must block him/her, refer spam or...

In other hand, if is some reply very important for me and I want to get notification about new posts in this thread then I can just check "Notify me when a reply is posted" in "Post a reply" section. In that case forum will send me a mail without outside interaction and without my interaction. I can stop emails with editing old message and check out notify line.

Sonam

P.S.
Notify is checked Laughing
deanhills
sonam wrote:
deanhills wrote:

@page button (little bit oftopic)
Actually I don't like if someone try to call me on posting by sending mail to me. What is important for him/her maybe is not important for me. Then, if he/she calls me too often then I must block him/her, refer spam or...

In other hand, if is some reply very important for me and I want to get notification about new posts in this thread then I can just check "Notify me when a reply is posted" in "Post a reply" section. In that case forum will send me a mail without outside interaction and without my interaction. I can stop emails with editing old message and check out notify line.

Sonam

P.S.
Notify is checked Laughing
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the call for an e-mail to go to you would be yours only, not another person's. You're the only one who gets to decide whether you would like to be reminded if someone responds to your posting. So what you proposed in your second paragraph is almost identical to what Ocalhoun proposed. I must say I prefer your suggestion however. I like the idea of a little box that I can be unchecked later. Great suggestion!
watersoul
ocalhoun wrote:
...It may be horrendously difficult to code, but perhaps also email notify the user if their name is in a reply to a topic they posted in? Especially if in a format like "@username: blah blah blah..."... Which would also indicate a two-way discussion, though there might not be any quote involved...

I like that idea, and I also like your 'Page' Button. (A variant of reply notification.)

For whatever reason though, some topics seem to almost be a one point single post environment (see All these topics, and nothing to talk about for an interesting discussion about that), and sometimes I'd find it useful to only know about posts where I've been quoted so I could focus my attention on investigating those posts first.

Enjoying the different points here, and I accept that some things would cost more in time coding them than the benefit they would provide, but I really do think that knowing my username had been mentioned publicly would be a very useful tool as a forum user.
sonam
Quote:
I like the idea of a little box that I can be unchecked later. Great suggestion!

This check-box (from my post) already exist. Grrrrrrrr my English Brick wall . When you are posting you have this check-box below posting text area. This is not exactly what Ocalhoun proposed but it is very useful, too.

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
Quote:
I like the idea of a little box that I can be unchecked later. Great suggestion!

This check-box (from my post) already exist. Grrrrrrrr my English Brick wall . When you are posting you have this check-box below posting text area. This is not exactly what Ocalhoun proposed but it is very useful, too.

Sonam
Laughing Laughing Laughing Darn! Now this has blown me right over. I never realized it was there. So no modifications needed then of course. The brilliance was already there before this thread was started. Just needed to be discovered first. Laughing
sonam
In "Edit Profile" is one more option what you can check and get e-mail for any reply. Cool

Quote:
Always notify me of replies:
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post.

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
In "Edit Profile" is one more option what you can check and get e-mail for any reply. Cool

Quote:
Always notify me of replies:
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post.

Sonam
Right again! Two options. Thanks for pointing that out Sonam.