FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MS Office 2010

ryndel24
Quote:
Office 2007 offered a well-designed equivalent of the old File Menu, with clear options for saving, printing, and sharing files. The only problem with this menu was that many users never figured out how to access it, because Microsoft decided to be really clever by removing the word "File" from the top-line menu and replacing it with a circular "pearl" decorated with the Office logo. Microsoft didn't highlight that the pearl wasn't merely an ornament, but was actually the same interface feature that every other productivity program on earth labels "File."

Office 2010 nixes the pearl in favor of the File tab and introduces a "Backstage" view that puts all the standard File menu functions and more on a spacious menu, complete with print preview. I spend a lot of time printing, managing, and sharing documents, and the new Backstage view makes me wonder how I managed without it for so many years.

Still, it provided some frustration. Initially, Backstage appeared to lack a feature present in every earlier version of Office that would let me open my recently used documents by typing Alt-F (and then pressing either 1 for the most-recently used file, or 2 for the second most-recently used, and so on). In the new version, these keystrokes won't do anything at all until you open the "Recent" view on the Backstage page and add a check mark next to an option buried near the foot of the page that says "Quickly access this number of Recent Documents," followed by a box where you can enter the number you want to see. A lot of keyboard-savvy users will be frustrated until they find this option.

When Office 2007 came out, Microsoft expected you to download an add-in if you wanted to export files to PDF. The new version builds in PDF export from the start. Unfortunately, Word still doesn't supply a built-in redaction (content-hiding) tool of the kind that security-conscious users have wanted for years. Microsoft makes redaction possible through a downloadable tool that isn't officially "supported," which means they don't promise it will work. I'm glad the feature is there, but it's not the most confidence-inspiring way to offer a crucial security feature. Download the tool at redaction.codeplex.com.

Microsoft keeps promising that you'll be able to share and edit documents in a browser using the new Office Web Apps using either a SharePoint server (for businesses) or the free Windows Live service (for everyone else), but the Web Apps haven't yet been released. We'll follow up with a full report when we've had a chance to give them a thorough testing.
mOrpheuS wrote:
Quote tags added. Please use quote tags around text that you haven't written yourself.
meep
When you copy+paste posts you need to use quote tags, and include a link to the source.
ryndel24
ryndel24 wrote:
Office 2007 offered a well-designed equivalent of the old File Menu, with clear options for saving, printing, and sharing files. The only problem with this menu was that many users never figured out how to access it, because Microsoft decided to be really clever by removing the word "File" from the top-line menu and replacing it with a circular "pearl" decorated with the Office logo. Microsoft didn't highlight that the pearl wasn't merely an ornament, but was actually the same interface feature that every other productivity program on earth labels "File."

Office 2010 nixes the pearl in favor of the File tab and introduces a "Backstage" view that puts all the standard File menu functions and more on a spacious menu, complete with print preview. I spend a lot of time printing, managing, and sharing documents, and the new Backstage view makes me wonder how I managed without it for so many years.

Still, it provided some frustration. Initially, Backstage appeared to lack a feature present in every earlier version of Office that would let me open my recently used documents by typing Alt-F (and then pressing either 1 for the most-recently used file, or 2 for the second most-recently used, and so on). In the new version, these keystrokes won't do anything at all until you open the "Recent" view on the Backstage page and add a check mark next to an option buried near the foot of the page that says "Quickly access this number of Recent Documents," followed by a box where you can enter the number you want to see. A lot of keyboard-savvy users will be frustrated until they find this option.

When Office 2007 came out, Microsoft expected you to download an add-in if you wanted to export files to PDF. The new version builds in PDF export from the start. Unfortunately, Word still doesn't supply a built-in redaction (content-hiding) tool of the kind that security-conscious users have wanted for years. Microsoft makes redaction possible through a downloadable tool that isn't officially "supported," which means they don't promise it will work. I'm glad the feature is there, but it's not the most confidence-inspiring way to offer a crucial security feature. Download the tool at redaction.codeplex.com.

Microsoft keeps promising that you'll be able to share and edit documents in a browser using the new Office Web Apps using either a SharePoint server (for businesses) or the free Windows Live service (for everyone else), but the Web Apps haven't yet been released. We'll follow up with a full report when we've had a chance to give them a thorough testing.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362923,00.asp
Quote:
weableandbob
Probably still going to stick with Open Office just to avoid paying for basic software.
driftingfe3s
I'm using Office 2010. I don't see any major differences between it and the 2007 version besides the revamped file menu being in the ribbon now. That and 2010 takes a bit longer to load.
sandmanxyz
I have seen some improvements (simplicity to insert videos on Powerpoint, multiple screenshots, picture tools, ...) If this makes worth the upgrade depends on the user, I guess.
Marcuzzo
we used to use 2007 here at work and I, for one, am glad that we switched over to 2010.
it's a lot better when you have to assign rights to users and public folders.
nam_siddharth
I am also using Office 2010.
ankur209
m still with 2007....n m Satisfied with it...Haven't found any good reason to move on to 2010 version...!! Razz
amperx
still using open office, after trying out 2010, i still see any major improvement from its predecessors, aside from the new gui i guess XD
metalfreek
There is not much of a difference between 2007 and 2010. Everything looks the same beside some GUI changes which are not that major. 2010 loads a bit slower than 2007 and consumes memory more than it should have. So, I will not be using 2010 because 2007 is just as good.

I will definitely wait for another version of MS office.
dude_xyx
Stll use MS office 2007. I think its again same like with XP and Vista. No point of upgrading if you have 2007. If you are buying a New computer and have but buy MS Office then its fine. I heard Office 2010 is bit slow to load.
menino
The only thing I like of office 2010 is Outlook 2010.
It has an option to sort your mail by the subject, so you see the full history of the mail, with reference to all the previous mails.
This way, you don't have to dig too much to see what was the full story with that mail.
dude_xyx
menino wrote:
It has an option to sort your mail by the subject, so you see the full history of the mail, with reference to all the previous mails.
This way, you don't have to dig too much to see what was the full story with that mail.

Now that's a nice feature. I wonder if I can install Outlook 2010 with rest of the MS Office 2007.
alugueldelanchaangra
I'm using office 2010.
I think he is faster
jilbs
I don't see much difference on 2010 compared to 2007. it loads slow on older machines but if your machine is new, i think your will not have any problem.
Flakky
I'm fine with Office 2007 now, I barely use it and I doubt I updating is worth my money and time.
the-guide
I will change from Office2003 to Open Office very soon since it can open all document format.
I'm just learning to use it right now.

mukesh
currently this time i am using Office 2007. But I used one week Office 2010. But much different between office 2007 and 2010.
In Office 2010 I guess a problem when first time we start to open office 2010 then take some more time then office 2007 and works also have fantastic.
loyal
There's no point upgrading from Office 2007 to 2010 if there are barely any improvements. Same for Windows 7 to Windows 8. Looks like Microsoft is hitting a wall, when it comes to new ideas. Although it probably reached that wall years ago.

Peace.
mahirh
microsoft released office 2010 mainly to update flaws in the software when it comes to activate the thing and such small but vital parts of the software according to a microsoft employee
silverdown
I think it another way for Microsoft to scam u outta 100+ bucks. I use Open Office, works the same dang way and does what I want.
tamilparks
where can we get the microsoft 2010
mahirh
tamilparks wrote:
where can we get the microsoft 2010

it haven't been much widespread in india compared to other countries , so you might be lucky to find a person selling it in India , you can buy it at Microsoft's web store as a download
milleja46
menino wrote:

I'm not a big fan of your outlook thing, i use gmail and suits me much better, i haven't used outlook since i was a little kid, and gmail seems so much better when it comes to stuff like this. I just wish MS gave you the option to remove the parts of office you don't need at all. Since i could remove almost all of it excluding word, excel, and powerpoint(and maybe access) the other stuff is really just useless. Access i never use on a daily basis, and outlook is unnecessary. Though currently i have to use Openoffice because of the fact when i reinstalled windows the code wouldn't work to put it back on there....
loyal
Urgh, I hate openoffice. Office is just so much better. I don't care if openoffice is free. It's just free below-MS office standard. I remember last year, whenever I hibernated with openoffice open, the program crashed because it couldn't handle hibernation. It also randomly lost me my essay which I was writing.

Peace.
milleja46
You must of had some old version, because i have never had that problem ever....
loyal
milleja46 wrote:
You must of had some old version, because i have never had that problem ever....

Nope. It was the latest version at the time. I think it was 3.0 or 3.1

Peace.
Doreennnnnn
i have't use office 2010 yet. Embarassed
milleja46
Well if you have a microsoft live account, you can try the limited, but still very nice. You can find it at office.live.com it's still very good though you don't have alot of the features, that the real thing has. I guess it would be a great thing, to give you a idea if you would like the full thing.
milleja46
I also gotta add ms 2010 from the limited version that comes on my new computer looks more...hmm what word am i looking for, oh yeah, "simplified" though still not in the simplicity of a menu like we were all used to in versions previous to 2007, it's alot better than 2007 though i can't say anything past ms word, excel, and ppt viewer...hopefully i'll be able to get it soon so i'll be able to use some things that i actually like...i just hope that a cd will let me upgrade 2010 starter to 2010 whatever version i end up getting

Edit: But what's pretty funny is they're all ready working on a new version, i've seen something about a new version of it called office 2014, i wish i could venture away from it, but templates and alignment from experience don't work quite right cross office softwares...especially office to openoffice and vice versa...
FunDa
Open Office is not good enough, so I am still using MS Office.

I had been using Office 2003, which is quite good except Word.

The problem with switching or not switching was that several of my friends upgraded to Office 2007 and 2010, while several others are still using Office 2003. So, when there is a collaborative project or seminar to be done, those who prepare it in Office 2007 or 2010 have to save in a compatible format, and still the new style headers and some 3d text are not editable on Powerpoint 2003.

So, ideally everyone has to switch to the latest (but cost is a problem) or use free alternatives.

When Open Office is still slowly trying to improve, a bunch of the programmers who used to work on Open Office decided to release a faster, better version called Libre Office.

Hope to try out Libre Office and see if it fits our needs