FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you know if you have a talent for writing?

D'Artagnan
I believe many people here write, i always had a thing for writing, but i never did because either i was too lazy or thinking i didn't had the necessary talent? sometimes i have a good idea for a story, but it falls flat because of my lack of motivation. how do you know you're a good writer?
Bluedoll
I am not sure but I would guess that you know you are good writer when you have this undeniable urge to do better next time? Motivation is something we need for everything we do I think. Writing is certainly on the top of list of things that is in need of a very good reason.

In my humble opinion what makes a good story is not merely talent but I think imagination. If it is in there calling to get out you just have to let it D’Artagnan.

Bluedoll leaned over to D’Arganan and inquired.

“What you got there,” she asked?

“What,” he said?

“Your idea!

He looked over at her suspiciously.

“What is your idea for a story,” she repeated loudly?

D’Arganan went over to write it down as Bluedoll smiled and left quietly.
watersoul
Bluedoll wrote:
I am not sure but I would guess that you know you are good writer when you have this undeniable urge to do better next time? Motivation is something we need for everything we do I think. Writing is certainly on the top of list of things that is in need of a very good reason.

In my humble opinion what makes a good story is not merely talent but I think imagination. If it is in there calling to get out you just have to let it D’Artagnan.

Bluedoll leaned over to D’Arganan and inquired.

“What you got there,” she asked?

“What,” he said?

“Your idea!

He looked over at her suspiciously.

“What is your idea for a story,” she repeated loudly?

D’Arganan went over to write it down as Bluedoll smiled and left quietly.

Brilliant reply, tried a couple of attempts at adding to the story a few times this evening, but quickly realised while "previewing post" that tonight its really not happening! lol
Bluedoll
As she left the D’Arganan writer at his computer, the clicking keyboard echoed in her thoughts. Somewhere she thought there must be an idea in her own mind for a story but she seemed not to have any. Not at the moment anyway.

“Perhaps a quiet stroll along the seaside with waves softly lapping on the shoreline will sooth my agitation,” she whispered softly to herself.

She walked by one of the houses that scattered the coast. From inside the house she could hear someone’s voice talking to a companion.

I tried a couple of attempts at adding to the story, a few times this evening, but quickly realized that tonight it’s really not happening,” he said followed by some laughter.

What was happening here? Was everyone a writer around this area? It seemed that the whole region was full of people that aspired to write something. Was it because they had something to say?

Writers, writers everywhere but how to you really know if you are any good at it?

“Well if you do not write your idea down,” she said to the cool night breeze.

As her foot touched the cool sand along the beach everything in the world seemed calm.

“I guess you will never know that, if you don’t try,” she said to night.

Who was she talking to she thought? Herself?
watersoul
Bluedoll wrote:
As she left the D’Arganan writer at his computer, the clicking keyboard echoed in her thoughts. Somewhere she thought there must be an idea in her own mind for a story but she seemed not to have any. Not at the moment anyway.

“Perhaps a quiet stroll along the seaside with waves softly lapping on the shoreline will sooth my agitation,” she whispered softly to herself.

She walked by one of the houses that scattered the coast. From inside the house she could hear someone’s voice talking to a companion.

I tried a couple of attempts at adding to the story, a few times this evening, but quickly realized that tonight it’s really not happening,” he said followed by some laughter.

What was happening here? Was everyone a writer around this area? It seemed that the whole region was full of people that aspired to write something. Was it because they had something to say?

Writers, writers everywhere but how to you really know if you are any good at it?

“Well if you do not write your idea down,” she said to the cool night breeze.

As her foot touched the cool sand along the beach everything in the world seemed calm.

“I guess you will never know that, if you don’t try,” she said to night.

Who was she talking to she thought? Herself?

He returned to the kitchen for another bottle of wine, taking advantage of the moments respite from a rather enjoyable, but impromptu, gathering of friends.

"out of town and out of season" he wondered to himself, noticing the girl through the kitchen window on the sand below. The stranger turning suddenly away though, as a person caught in an act of voyeurism.

Intrigued, he slipped quickly out of the door searching desperately in his mind for a reason to pretend to be in the garden at night, other than just putting the lids on the stinking trash cans.
It didn't matter, as she turned back and approached with a warm smile, perhaps cooled a little though by the reflected moonlight.

"Hi, you're so lucky to live here" she beamed

(the excited return smile was not suppressed)

"Urm...Hi back, you on holiday yeh?"

"All of life is a holiday, isn't it?"

Unsure of a response he smiled again, the awkward silence saved only by a conveniently timed gentle wave breaking on the shore.

"I came to just lose myself in the horizon for a while" she said helpfully, but unsure if he'd understand the thought

"I do the same myself, it helps me think, and even helps me forget as well if I need to...I'd love to say I was a writer seeking inspiration at the shore or something, but I'm not as exotic as that I'm afraid"

She giggled at his pseudo self deprecation and again they smiled, held with an exchange between their eyes showing more than a little relief that the other didn't think they were crazy.
Wink
Radar
The moral of this story is to simply write because it's fun!
Bluedoll
Radar wrote:
The moral of this story is to simply write because it's fun!
Yes, I agree as with everything, writing should be enjoyable but it is also work sometimes drudging labour where we must overcome many obstacles. One of the most significant being is to plainly do it regardless.

When we have a puritanical idea, we must express it.
c'tair
You don't need talent. Just practice. This applies to everything.
There are many guidelines in the Net on how and which mistakes to avoid, browse around, checkout tvtropes and have fun with those for a couple of hours.

I write very rarely, but when I do, I get many compliments. And each time it gets a little better.
deanhills
Probably not a good idea to think about whether you are good or not. Just get stuck in and write with a passion. If you love writing, the more you write, the better you will become. I find that the more we think about whether our writing is good or bad, while we are writing, the more self-critical and inhibited we become with the writing. This is a really good way of creating writer's blocks. Better to rather focus on what we are passionate about in our writing, and on telling the story, than whether we are good or not so good writers. In the end that is in the eye of the beholder anyway. Most of the time it is your passion for the story that will define you as a writer.
flyingplatypus
Well ,

like anything else , I think the first thing you must do is "do it" ! :)

just after you started you may have something people may appreciate .

then , if it stimulates commotion on people , it is good .

like in any other type of "art" : you have an "artist" , that is someone that have "sensibility" , and have some "tools" that are "creativity" and "technical knowledge" . With this tools , the artist "express" his sensibility in an "artwork" (or an "ouvrage") . Other people , actually a "spectator" , that also have sensibility , get in "contact" with the artwork , and then it touches his "emotions" , is it for being fun , sad , but generally for being beautiful in some way .

This in the case of art . In the case of "products" , you just have to replace part of the artist's sensibility and creativity for a "product request" , and then , you will have a "producer" instead of an artist , and a product instead of an artwork as well . Because a product request have a commitment to a market field an a costumer type target , while art must be a selfish expression of the artist , without worrying about the final user (the spectator) .

Generally , you have a higher chance of not dying starving if you are a professional product maker instead of an artist :)

So , just start doing it , you must have something to the spectators put to test ! ;)
missdixy
c'tair wrote:
You don't need talent. Just practice. This applies to everything.

I agree with this. It also depends on the kind of writing...Sure, talent helps, but overall the most important things you can do are

1) practice, practice, practice!!
and
2) READ!
Cliffer
yes depends on what kind of writing,long or short...
Bluedoll
flyingplatypus wrote:
Well ,

like anything else , I think the first thing you must do is "do it" ! Smile

just after you started you may have something people may appreciate .

then , if it stimulates commotion on people , it is good .

like in any other type of "art" : you have an "artist" , that is someone that have "sensibility" , and have some "tools" that are "creativity" and "technical knowledge" . With this tools , the artist "express" his sensibility in an "artwork" (or an "ouvrage") . Other people , actually a "spectator" , that also have sensibility , get in "contact" with the artwork , and then it touches his "emotions" , is it for being fun , sad , but generally for being beautiful in some way .

This in the case of art . In the case of "products" , you just have to replace part of the artist's sensibility and creativity for a "product request" , and then , you will have a "producer" instead of an artist , and a product instead of an artwork as well . Because a product request have a commitment to a market field an a costumer type target , while art must be a selfish expression of the artist , without worrying about the final user (the spectator) .

Generally , you have a higher chance of not dying starving if you are a professional product maker instead of an artist Smile

So , just start doing it , you must have something to the spectators put to test ! Wink

I do some what agree with art being a product but want to add that it will always be a two way street for artistic attractions. In other words, there will always be spectators who will appreciate art and those who can not even see it. Pasco for example, I was personally never able to appreciate because his style of painting just did not call to me. No particular art form is going to be selected or understood by each and every person out there. You could say that art is reflected not just by artist that produced it but by the people that did observe it.

We do understand that even art can be reduced to pure economics but when that happens much of the luster is removed. You end up with a piece that is less of value artistically and of more value financially, that is all. Although there will always be an influence from art lovers, the markets may not only be comprised of the art germane.

Specifically, for writing, this could be summed up by some work sells, other works spells and still other work just smells. Yes, first do, then do to discover ones talent with a mind to desire for talents of your choosing.
Cliffer
any one here has some writing?
lovescience
If you have ideas for writing, and you are writing it with your style that you like or any style.

You have to know if you have talent on writing by writing.

If you enjoy the process of writing, and the writing you have done, you must have some kind of talent on writing.
Huntress
when I was younger my teacher noticed how easy it was for me to explain myself through writing, so she started teaching me different ways of writing, eventually people had been asking me to write for them or to continue writing whatever stories I'm writing... At present I have three finished works, and recently a publisher had offered there service, of course that's after checking out my writings, so am hoping that I will be able to publish soon...
baboosaa
Who ever a person is or thinks himself to be, that is exactly what the person is. Your capacity of writing not only comes from the ability to be able to have something different form others but also comes from the feeling that you have towards what you want to write in any circumstances. The situation is merely a part. A good writer is capable to write what is necessary to be written. This is also to say that the story is not always necessary to be real, it can be imaginary but should feel real, and you must try to say that the world must be like that. Your power of writing also comes form your creative imagination power.

Best of luck for your writing career.
baboosaa
Who ever a person is or thinks himself to be, that is exactly what the person is. Your capacity of writing not only comes from the ability to be able to have something different form others but also comes from the feeling that you have towards what you want to write in any circumstances. The situation is merely a part. A good writer is capable to write what is necessary to be written. This is also to say that the story is not always necessary to be real, it can be imaginary but should feel real, and you must try to say that the world must be like that. Your power of writing also comes form your creative imagination power.

Best of luck for your writing career.
asnani04
It doesn't take much to know if one has the caliber to write well. Just try writing a short story, or a couple of them, and see if you like them. If you think they are good enough, and you enjoy writing, without feeling lazy or boring, then you are aptly suited for it. If it turns out to be your interest, who knows one day you could be a great writer!

All the best from my side! Smile
Fooky
D'Artagnan wrote:
I believe many people here write, i always had a thing for writing, but i never did because either i was too lazy or thinking i didn't had the necessary talent? sometimes i have a good idea for a story, but it falls flat because of my lack of motivation. how do you know you're a good writer?

Serious answer: people will keep asking you to write stuff for them.

Next, your writer friends will urge you to participate in contests.

Assuming you win a few...

...last, you'll have fans.

The thing is you have to keep trying and learn to "enjoy" the feedback. If someone says "hey, your work sucks." Be happy they even took the time to read it.

PLUG FOR MY NEW BLOG [in caps] Writers! Stop by and play my Exquisite Corpse game.