FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

new laptop

Denvis
Hey guys. can anybody suggest a lightweight, long battery life laptop between the price ranges of $400 AUS to $500? it gonna be mainly used for simple word processing and compiling source code.

EDIT: I actually bought a notebook a couple days ago which fit the exact specifications I wanted (except the secondary storage)

Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it.
ankur209
Well i would suggest you for MSI wind series or u can choose one from Acer Aspire...I own a Acer. Cool
Denvis
I had a look online and I'm thinking of maybe one of the HP minis. What's your input on that?
kemal44
HÝMM 500$ idea
driftingfe3s
I've been looking into buying an ultra portable laptop/netbook as well. I would just need it to browse the web, some word processing, and some power point presentations when working at school.

Personally I'd go for one of the ASUS Eee PCs or Acer Aspire Ones. Some of the newer Eee PCs have up to 11 hour battery life, like this one or this Aspire one that has 8 hours of batter life, here.

Of course these times are under optimal settings and conditions, real life time will definitely be shorter by a couple hours, more or less.[/url]
menino
just a suggestion, but what about the iPAD... it is about $600, and has word processing and other stuff as well, and a whole lot of apps, and if you can put in the microSIM, it will double as a phone.

The Eee PC and aspire ones and HP mini's are PC's though, and may do what you require, but if the iPAD is only slightly more expensive, then maybe its worth considering, and you could look up blogs and reviews of it online to see if it will fit your needs.
Denvis
Yeah, the ASUS Eee looks fairly reasonable but I'm looking for something a bit bigger than 10.1-Inch, what's the next size up? Something like this. Not that piece of hardware per se but just the size of the screen.

And as for the iPad... I'm looking for something that won't have additional costs and it's really impractical to code with (i hate touch screens).
driftingfe3s
Denvis wrote:
Yeah, the ASUS Eee looks fairly reasonable but I'm looking for something a bit bigger than 10.1-Inch, what's the next size up? Something like this. Not that piece of hardware per se but just the size of the screen.

And as for the iPad... I'm looking for something that won't have additional costs and it's really impractical to code with (i hate touch screens).

There are some 12 inch netbooks like this. Price really goes up though with that one though. I've also seen some 13 inch laptops as well.
tamilparks
i think ACER is ok
agbor
I am inlove with new laptops...
If you want to enjoy new laptop then think of buying
Dell laptop
HP laptop
I so much cherish them...
Ankhanu
Honestly, pretty much any netbook will do. They all have rather similar specs and performance; what to go with comes largely down to brand loyalty.

There are differences, but they're minor... unless you really up the quality, but at that point they also jump in price beyond what you're looking to pay.
Denvis
So I've decided i'll dedicate rather than $400 - $500 to the laptop, I'm willing to spend probably $1000 - $1200 AUS.

Again, i'm not looking for something powerful, it's just for simple work processing and code compilation (aside from watching 1080p videos and occasional casual games with low fps (at least in comparison to current games)).

I have a rough idea of what specs I want...

i5 processor
500gb hdd
13inch monitor
4gb ram

what do you guys recommend?
harrygail1987
Hi all,
Actually I am using desktop since four years. But now I am working in SEO Organization, Thats why I need one laptop. So can anyone suggest me which company laptop need to prefer to me.