FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Iraq on guard against Iran

deanhills
Now this worries me. The likelihood of Iran invading Iraq, and it would seem that it has a very strong likelihood of happening:
Quote:
Gen. Babaker Shawkat Zebari, who commands Iraq's military, says his nation will not be able to fully defend its borders until 2020 underscoring what he calls a need for U.S. forces to remain past a 2011 deadline for a full American troop withdrawal.

The U.S. is selling tanks and F-16 fighter jets to Iraq as part of a $13 billion equipment package to help its fledgling security forces protect the nation's sovereignty alone.

It's not clear when Iraqis will get the jets, however, and the 140 M1 tanks that began to be delivered to Iraq's army last month will be housed at least an hour away from the border. U.S. officials said that was deliberately done to prevent a tense atmosphere reminiscent of the demilitarized zone delineating North and South Korea.

The U.S. is trying to impress on Iraq that diplomacy and not firepower might be a better initial route should another incursion occur. But along the border, pockmarked with mine fields and littered with rusted mortar casings and other shrapnel left over from the Iran-Iraq war, suspicion reigns.

"They might come across the border because they are a strong country," said 1st Lt. Hassan Faisal. "Iran doesn't want Iraq to be a strong country."

Yahoo!News
Nick2008
Well.............. this subject is similar to Pakistan and India, the situation is uncertain but both have internal, domestic problems that are prohibiting them from invading each other.

Right now, both Iran and Iraq have their own problems, Iran is already being heavily criticized for it's nuclear ambitions and a war with Iraq would heavily increase criticism and result in funds being put into the war instead of the nuclear plants. Iran's top priority is to complete the nuclear power plants and stabilize the domestic situation. Until they do that, the odds of war against Iraq are minimal, as of now, in my opinion, Iran has little to gain from Iraq.
ocalhoun
Given Iran's enmity towards the US, wouldn't a continued US presence increase the chances of an invasion?
deanhills
Nick2008 wrote:
Well.............. this subject is similar to Pakistan and India, the situation is uncertain but both have internal, domestic problems that are prohibiting them from invading each other.

Right now, both Iran and Iraq have their own problems, Iran is already being heavily criticized for it's nuclear ambitions and a war with Iraq would heavily increase criticism and result in funds being put into the war instead of the nuclear plants. Iran's top priority is to complete the nuclear power plants and stabilize the domestic situation. Until they do that, the odds of war against Iraq are minimal, as of now, in my opinion, Iran has little to gain from Iraq.
My worry is more along the lines of the one becoming weaker and the other feeling obliged to cash in on some real estate as there are a number of disputed territory issues that are still unresolved. Think the last Iran Iraq war started with a disputed territory issue? Once the US has moved out of there, possibly the Iranians may feel they have to show they are the stronger of the two and also demonstrate that it is a super power to be reckoned with?

ocalhoun wrote:
Given Iran's enmity towards the US, wouldn't a continued US presence increase the chances of an invasion?
I thought the enmity was more the US towards Iran than the other way round? The US is quite rightfully concerned about Iran's arming itself with nuclear armaments and perhaps an atomic bomb, as well as assisting terrorist groups in Iraq and elsewhere. Iran sees itself as a super power and probably that it has just as much right to invade Iraq as the US has given sufficient reason to do so? I doubt it would engage itself in a war with the US though. But it may find sufficient reason to invade Iraq once the US is not around any longer.