FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IELTS

cemica
I'm not sure, is this the right forum for this topic, but hopefully it is. (Language forum seemed to be with a little bit different aim.)
I'd like to study abroad in some day (after graduating from high school). But the common thing is that everyone from non-English speaking country has (or have?) to do IELTS test. To be able to attend in a university abroad, your result must be at least 6.5 on average and 6.0 or greater in each section.
Maybe there is someone who had made this test:
what was your result?
did you studied before the test? Or how you prepared yourself to the test?
was you nervous before and after taking the test?
I have to take this test in a year. Although I haven't registered myself to this test yet, I'm a little bit scared of it. Listening part should be simple (first part is easy-peasy, second bart is a little bit harder), reading may be quite hard (if there's some kind of science text), writing is normal (I have to study the basic tips of this and then I should pass this part) and speaking should be easy, but if I'm nervous I can screw it up, 'cause I don't have much experience speaking in English with strangers. A couple of months ago I was looking for penpal to improve my writing skills, but I didn't find any normal site. Maybe someone can recommend some good site for finding a penpal. And is there any Skype conversations where people can improve their speaking skills (especially for IELTS)?

Is there anybody who can be so good and correct my mistakes in this letter, so I can check them out and try not to make them anymore. I would be very appreciated.

And I have one extra question. Which one of these is right:
everyone is ready
or
everyone are ready?
I think the first one is right (I remember this from somewhere), but it seems to be grammatically incorrect, so I'm not 100% percent sure, which one is correct.
Thanks!
Bluedoll
Everyone is ready is correct.

I am not sure, if this is the right forum for this topic, but hopefully it is.
( The language forum seems to have a little different aim.)

I would like to study abroad some day (after graduating from high school) but usually everyone from a non-English speaking country must (or has to) do an I.E.L.T.S.

To be able to attend a university abroad, your result must be at least 6.5 on the average and 6.0 or greater in each section.

Perhaps (or maybe) there is someone who has done this test?

What was your result?

Did you study before the test? How did you prepare yourself for the test?

Were you nervous before and after taking the test?

I need (have, must) to take this test in a year. Although, I haven't registered myself for this test yet, I am a little scared of the exam.
The listening part should be simple. The first part is easy-peasy (peachy?).
The second part (bart is a comic character, cute) is harder. (a little bitty is used in Texas, USA) Smile
Reading may be quite hard if there is science text.

Writing is normal (I have to study the basic tips and then I should pass this part) and speaking should be easy but if I'm nervous, I can mess up because I don't have much experience speaking english with strangers.

A couple of months ago I was looking for a penpal to improve my writing skills, but I didn't find a normal site. Maybe, someone can recommend a good site for finding a penpal? Is there Skype conversations available where people can improve their speaking skills (especially for I.E.L.T.S)?

Is there anyone who can be so good as to correct my mistakes in this letter, so I can learn and improve?
deanhills
Cemica, why not check out the Web for IELTS online courses that prepare you for taking the test. For example, I found this one on the Internet that claims it provides "free" courses for preparing for the test:

http://www.ieltsonline.com.au/

This one also looks interesting although I suspect there will probably be a fee for this one. It does look very comprehensive and solid though:

http://www.canadavisa.com/ielts/preparation-online-course.html
cemica
Bluedoll wrote:

Did you study before the test? - My mistake, I didn't notice that I had already used "did"

The first part is easy-peasy (peachy?) Easy-peasy is correct. It's the British English phrase (are you from USA?) and it means very easy.
The second part (bart is a comic character, cute) is harder. (a little bitty is used in Texas, USA) Smile My typo, I wanted to type "part", but maybe my thoughts was on "The Simpsons"

Many thanks to you!Very Happy

And thanks for deanhills too.
Vrythramax
OK...I'll admit my ignorance (and not just a little laziness for not looking it up myself)...but what is an IELTS test??
Blaster
Vrythramax wrote:
OK...I'll admit my ignorance (and not just a little laziness for not looking it up myself)...but what is an IELTS test??

http://www.ielts.org/default.aspx
Vrythramax
Ahhh...thank you Blaster (it's been too long since we spoke BTW),. That test wasn't around for me, as many of you know English is not my native.
Blaster
It has been max...

I am actually talking about this in my English class with people that don't' speak English and what (in America) we feel about this
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
as many of you know English is not my native.
I did not know that! But Blaster is right. If you had emigrated to Canada for example and you would have stated that English is your second language, then you may have had to do that test. Or if you had wanted to attend a University. Most Universities require proof of English language proficiency and usually it is either measured by degrees you've done before in English, or by doing the I.E.L.T.S. or TOEFL courses.
Vrythramax
deanhills wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
I did not know that! But Blaster is right. If you had emigrated to Canada for example and you would have stated that English is your second language, then you may have had to do that test. Or if you had wanted to attend a University. Most Universities require proof of English language proficiency and usually it is either measured by degrees you've done before in English, or by doing the I.E.L.T.S. or TOEFL courses.

My native is Gaelic and I currently hold dual citizenship for the Republic of Ireland and the US, I currently reside on the Northeast Coast of the US. That test was not a required when I got my passport(s).

I like to think I am rather proficient in English...though the ladies love it when I mess up Smile
missdixy
Vrythramax wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

My native is Gaelic and I currently hold dual citizenship for the Republic of Ireland and the US, I currently reside on the Northeast Coast of the US. That test was not a required when I got my passport(s).

I like to think I am rather proficient in English...though the ladies love it when I mess up Smile

Totally awesome. Didn't realize you spoke gaelic! heh. My native language is spanish although to be honest by this point my English is soooooo much better than my spanish in terms of grammar and vocabulary. I do ocassionally mess up though.
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

Come off it Max. The Irish are the only people who are really proficient in English. They are also Masters of all the proficiency tests. And sense of humour .... Smile