FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

i don't know if I am in the right spot but here I go..

Pheobe
and see what happens.

I wanted a blog so I started out at wordpress.com. I almost gave up because I couldn't do what I wanted then I found out the difference between .org and .com. I followed an online tutorial how to install wordpress with xampp and got it up and running... so I thought. Everything is fine but I hear that I have to have a host and a domain name before people can visit my blog. I don't know how to do this, nor do I know which one is the best host to go with for the price. I can't afford anything spectacular since it is a hobby blog. I am somewhat computer literate but doing all this really has been over my head.

What is the next step on how to get that host and domain name into my wordpress account. I see you all host but since i am a brand new member (my first post) I don't know if I will ever earn coins to get to that. I just need a little advise to move along. If you do reply please use laymans terms and if you have a video on all this I would be more then happy to watch it.

I also would like to know if I can use my laptop for the same account. I want to be able to work on my site from either computer.

Thanks for listening I hope someone out there is able to help.

Pheobe
Arseniy
Quote:
Everything is fine but I hear that I have to have a host and a domain name before people can visit my blog.

Ermm... I always thought that Wordpress.com gives you a space and a subdomain Shocked .
The hoster is the service which provides you a free space for your site or any info you can upload. Some hosts do it for free (like FriHost), others require money. Usually last ones are more qualitative.
The domain name is just a... a name Smile You point it to the server with the help of NS (NameServer) and tie it to your host. Sometimes hoster gives you a free subdomain, like here I have subdomain 'cap.frihost.net'.
Quote:
What is the next step on how to get that host and domain name into my wordpress account.

You cannot. Because Wordpress has already gave you a space and a domain. You've got a hat already, why do you put the next one on? Smile
If you want to host here at Frihost, post 5 qualitative posts and make a request. You'll have a space, where you can install your own Wordpress blog and even more.
Quote:
I also would like to know if I can use my laptop for the same account. I want to be able to work on my site from either computer.

Sure. Any account round the Internet can be accessed from any place. If you know the password.
Pheobe
Yes, Wordpress.com gives you a domain name but I don't see where wordpress 3.0.1. gives you one. You have to do that through the host company. Right now I have xampp on my computer running the site from my computer not the web.
Arseniy
You have two ways:
1)To buy the domain name from Godaddy.com or other domain registrar; to claim the domain name for free from Frihost; to register free subdomain at Afraid.org AND to route the A record of the domain to your IP.
2) To apply for hosting (here or everywhere) and move your site from your PC to the hoster's server. There will be a subdomain, but a MySQL base can be losed.
mOrpheuS
wordpress.org is the home of the free blog script wordpress - you download it an install it at a host like FRIHost.
wordpress.com is a host where you can create your blog for free without having to go through the "trouble" of installing and customizing it (the underlying script is wordpress, ofcourse).

Pheobe wrote:
Wordpress.com gives you a domain name but I don't see where wordpress 3.0.1. gives you one

I assume that wordpress.com would be using the latest version of wordpress (which, at the moment, is 3.0.1)
dude_xyx
Like mOrpheuS said Wordpress.org and wordpress.com are different things. at wordpress.com you can create a Free blog. You don't need hosting or a domain name. But the catch is you don't have a control over your blog. They can remove it anytime they want if they think you don't follow their rules. You can use advertisements as you want. If you want a blog just to keep at for hobby but no plan for earn revenue from it then wordpress.com is the best for you.

But you want overall control of your blog and want to earn money thing you need to download the wordpress blog script from Wordpress.org and then upload it to your own hosting account and run it. You can do it at Frihost. either you can buy your own domain from a place like Godaddy.com or use Sub domain you get with your free hosting account. Also if you don't have a paypal or credit card then start your blog on the Sub Domain and collect 300 coins by posting here. you can get your own TLD that way.

You can read here about getting free domains and about Coins

http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-119180.html