FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Snails around the house

epspk
I moved in an asian country, rented a house in the countryside and have a "Slow" problem: SNAILS. There seems to be a couple or more of them showing up everyday. I used to ignore them but sometimes they leave a trail of their droppings on my white walls and also i happen to step on them barefoot by accident which is quite disgusting. I tried killing them with salt. tried pouring salt in the crevices and on the corners and edges of the floors or walls but for some reason they just keep on coming. Its like they're attracted to something. I dont mind the mosquitoes but is there any way to get rid of these slowpokes??
goutha
epspk wrote:
I moved in an asian country, rented a house in the countryside and have a "Slow" problem: SNAILS. There seems to be a couple or more of them showing up everyday. I used to ignore them but sometimes they leave a trail of their droppings on my white walls and also i happen to step on them barefoot by accident which is quite disgusting. I tried killing them with salt. tried pouring salt in the crevices and on the corners and edges of the floors or walls but for some reason they just keep on coming. Its like they're attracted to something. I dont mind the mosquitoes but is there any way to get rid of these slowpokes??

Yes. Actually it's very easy to get rid of snails. Just put some beer in a plate (you can prepare several plates) and put them in your garden. Snails love beer (I think that it's the odour and taste that attract them). But once they drink of it they die or I think they cannot move anymore. All you have to do is to make a once aday verification and throw all the snails that you'll find in and around the plate.

I hope this will help and that it will work with Asian Snails Smile
PureReborn
I never knew Asian countries had this issue. What's the climate like at your location?
Bluedoll
I guess they are a little disgusting. Perhaps they do some good out in the natural environment but don’t think I would like that much either. Specially for dinner. Yes gouth that was helpful, really nice of you to supply that. There now epsph you can try making a beer garden and not have to see what is going on with all the inebriated snails under the leaf. Wink
epspk
Thanks goutha! I'll try that. Beer here tastes bad, I bet it'll even scare them from coming here.
epspk
PureReborn wrote:
I never knew Asian countries had this issue. What's the climate like at your location?

It's kinda humid and hot somedays, and snails come out only at night when it's cold. It rarely rains.
driftingfe3s
Wow, I've never heard of that beer method. After I looked it up, it looks like they are very attracted to the beer. From what i've seen you need a dish or container tall enough so that once the snails go in they can't crawl out. The best way to do this is to dig a hole and put in a jar with the beer in it so that the snails won't have a hard time crawling up the side to get to the beer.
Bluedoll
We are talking about the little creatures right? Not the bigger scoundrels with the big bellies that after work just want to hang around the house on the couch with a remote in their hands watching the sports channel?
deanhills
driftingfe3s wrote:
Wow, I've never heard of that beer method. After I looked it up, it looks like they are very attracted to the beer. From what i've seen you need a dish or container tall enough so that once the snails go in they can't crawl out. The best way to do this is to dig a hole and put in a jar with the beer in it so that the snails won't have a hard time crawling up the side to get to the beer.
I haven't heard of this either. There are plenty of snails in the gardens in Vancouver BC, so I must tell my friends about this remedy. I'm sure they will find it hilarious as well. If it can kill snails, wonder what it must be doing to humans then?
nigam
i just found in our backyard a snail but what is inside is something just like a crab but small butt. i don't know what kind is that. i tried to keep that one.
ocalhoun
nigam wrote:
i just found in our backyard a snail but what is inside is something just like a crab but small butt. i don't know what kind is that. i tried to keep that one.

Like this?

Why would you have a hermit crab in your back yard? Is your back yard a beach?
seneca
The beer attraction method is very useful to catch snails, they are really fond of that. But it has one big disadvantage: The beer traps will attract also other snails from the neighbourhood, so if you are unlucky you will face an invasion.
D'Artagnan
Well, it's hard to believe it happens only here but:

Here in brazil the general recomendation to deal with the big snail we find in the gardens is not to handle it...

some people wont like it the running "protocol" is to kill and set the remains on fire then burry it. Fact is that the a common invasive snail here the "Achatina Fulica" or african giant snail (at least that's what we call it) can transmit a couple of diseases , schistosomiasis, Eosinophilic meningitis and a worm called Angiostrongylus costaricensis, which caused some deathshere...

I say better safe then sorry, at least try not to step on these things!
nigam
ocalhoun wrote:
nigam wrote:

Like this?

yeah....just like this....we are far from the beach...we are located in the mountain...how come a hermit crab can climb here in the mountain?
ocalhoun
nigam wrote:

yeah....just like this....we are far from the beach...we are located in the mountain...how come a hermit crab can climb here in the mountain?

Beats me. I've never heard of a wild hermit crab living more than a stone's throw from the ocean.
shivaghimire
Its rainy season here.. Its now common here in Asian countries.
ocalhoun
shivaghimire wrote:

The snails or the crabs?
inuyasha
I wonder in which Asian country you live. It's really weird that snails can be seen that often in my country. Wink And this is the first time I've known beer attracts snails Very Happy
rahat123
Take two cups of salt and mix it with 2 gallons of warm or hot water in a mop bucket. Stir well until salt dissolves. Mop all the floors in your house with the solution but let it air dry do not dry mop the liquid up. Next mop all around your doors on the outside but be more liberal with the salt solution. This will kill the ones in your house you may not see and also prevent them from entering. You might consider repeating this a few days later to get the stubborn hiding ones.

removed spam link - ocalhoun
shivaghimire
ocalhoun wrote:
shivaghimire wrote:

The snails or the crabs?

Off course snails.. Crabs are common in river water in my country.
Peterssidan
I have never seen snails as a problem. Maybe Asian snails are different. I remember when I was much younger I used to collect all snails I could find in a bucket. When I was finished I just put the bucket somewhere so they could escape. I was very fascinated by the snails with a long spear formed shells and also the snails with flat shells that only lived in the stone wall. When we was on vacation in souther parts of the country there was these huge snails (Helix pomatia). They were more than twice as big than any snails we had at home. I wanted to bring some of them back home but my parents said no.
ato784
nigam wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
nigam wrote:

Like this?

lol, you didn't know what a hermit crab was. granted I live relatively close to a beach, so I would know one.
cresvale
snails are very cute and delicious.jeje.