FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop charging problem

saratdear
My brother's laptop has got some charging problem. While in Windows, if we plug in the cord and start charging, it will say "Charging" for some time and then after a minute or two goes back to Batteries. And it's not a loose connection or anything. Funny thing is, if we shut down it completely and then charge it, it does. That makes me think it is some problem with Windows.

Any ideas?
Marcuzzo
I don't think this will be related to windows.
you might want to check the power management.
ocalhoun
Perhaps the charger doesn't perform as it used to...
Maybe it can't provide enough power to run the computer and charge the batteries anymore, though it still has enough power to do one or the other.
ProfessorY91
This is most likely a hardware problem. What model of computer do you own, and have you tried googling "charger problem *model*"?
saratdear
@Marcuzzo - That might be it, I searched around and Power Management is what they all suggest.

@ocalhoun - Funny thing is, he can remove the battery and the laptop can run solely on AC...it'll just turn off it the power goes off.

@ProfessorY91 - It's a compaq presario c700. I've tried Googling, and many suggest that the problem is not with the charger, but with the power management software.
Marcuzzo
I have to agree with ocalhoun,

saratdear wrote:
@ocalhoun - Funny thing is, he can remove the battery and the laptop can run solely on AC...it'll just turn off it the power goes off.

this is normal, just like in a car, the battery is only needed to start the engine, or supply power to other stuff like the lights, radio, ect... but only as long as the battery can deliver power.
now, as soon as the engine starts, the alternator will take over and feed the "elements" that need power And it will charge the battery.
if this alternator is faulty, most of the times, it will be able to power your lights, motor management components and other stuff, but it will not charge your battery anymore, or at least not as it should.
same thing with your laptop, the adapter will be able to power your motherboard and stuff, but the battery will not be charged.

also, it could be that your battery has reached the end of it's life.

I ran a quick search on google and may have found something you could use.

this guy's battery wasn't charging and contacted HP ( Compaq ) and they advised that it could be caused by:

Static Charge Induced in the battery
Outdated Bios
Battery not seated properly
Faulty Battery.

Check these links:
Run a Battery Health Check

Calibrate the Notebook Battery

I had found those links here --> http://www.google.be/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.experts-exchange.com%2FHardware%2FLaptops_Notebooks%2FPC_Laptops%2FQ_24764334.html&rct=j&q=compaq%20presario%20c700%20battery%20not%20chargning&ei=ylikTPapFc-Kswa29LCcCA&usg=AFQjCNH62SFSNubijat8JuPe32IBGUi-Fw&sig2=Hm5_eouweDib8MQsnGvpZw&cad=rja
this is the google redirection link, if you open the link directly it will not show the answers.

scoll all the way down, they try to trick people into subscribing while the answers are all at the bottom of the page.

let me know if this helps you out.
saratdear
@Marcuzzo - Thank you very much for those links! And lol@expertsexchange, are all questions like this? Smile They actually have a small banner at the right side (when you reach the solutions) which says "Tired of Scrolling? Get a free membership blah blah"
ankur209
I think there's nothin' to do with windows.Actually the failure is beacuse of defective powe cord or the power slot.

i would say just go to the customer care and ask them to see the problem.
Marcuzzo
@saratdear You are welcome,

saratdear wrote:
They actually have a small banner at the right side (when you reach the solutions) which says "Tired of Scrolling? Get a free membership blah blah"

yup, but as busy as I am, I hardly have the time to keep my points here above 30.
so I just hit the "End" button Wink

Laughing
menino
Comapq's usually come with their own Power management software.

You can also try the one from IBM which shows the charging of the battery and how much juice is left. I have that software on an old compaq laptiop and its quite useful.
Also, check fi there is a BIOS update for that laptop, which may fix the issue.