FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is this a possible virus?

jilbs

The picture above shows that there is a something appended to the folder name which is series of numbers and text. I wonder if this is a virus or not.

BTW, this folder Global to all the people who logs in to the Win 2k3 Server. What do you guys think?
meep
it's a class identifier if i remember correctly, don't think it does any harm.
not sure though so you might want other people's opinions
jilbs
meep wrote:
it's a class identifier if i remember correctly, don't think it does any harm.
not sure though so you might want other people's opinions

I searched the numbers appended on Google and i found none. Im not sure where the problem started but im thinking if this is not a virus, it might have been caused by the Symantec Backup Exec, not sure though. Im also thinking that it's possible that one of the computers connected on my network is infected with some kind of virus (or a program which i don't know of yet). This only happened to this particular drive since its Global.
Peterssidan
I think the strange numbers and characters are some kind of checksum. Couldn't it be folders that you are downloading with some torrent program (or similar)? They are not totally downloaded so it stores them like this until it's finished?

I don't think it looks like virus just by looking at the picture. Have these folders been like this all the time? Do you know what they contain?
meep
After looking around I'm pretty sure they're just identifiers so the computer knows they're folders (notice how they only appear at the folder type).
They're usually not supposed to be showing though Confused
Peterssidan
But what is the difference between "Folder" and "File Folder"? All the strange named folders have type "Folder".
jilbs
I found this one on google. http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/CLSID-List.htm
but the CLSID showing in my folder is not listed.

anymore thoughts?
ankur209
Seems to be cheksums...!!
But they shouldn't be behaving in this manner...!!
I would say its not a virus,but a small tweak played on your system.
Don't think it would be going to harm you...!! Laughing
meep
The list there contains special folders, and the normal folder isn't listed on there.
So that's why it's probably not on it.
fladry
Such filenames donot compulsarily represent viruses. Some folder lockers use such extensions to make the folder unclickable. You can change folder to my computer by adding suitable extensions. I don't know though what extensions you have to add.
jilbs
i removed the CSLID numbers manually. Anyway, there's only like 15 of them. Now i checking if the problem is gonna come back.
bjornhoogeveen
The first post you posted was indeed not a virus. But I would love to know if you problem is gone now Smile
jilbs
bjornhoogeveen wrote:
The first post you posted was indeed not a virus. But I would love to know if you problem is gone now Smile

now its gone. ^^
FunDa
jilbs wrote:
i removed the CSLID numbers manually. Anyway, there's only like 15 of them. Now i checking if the problem is gonna come back.

Good to see that the problem is gone, but they may have been encrypted folders or something.

Definitely does not seem to be a virus or malicious program of any sort. But if you remove the CLSIDs they might interfere with the encryption or back of programs like Norton Exec Backup ...