FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Could you help me with this competition?

speeDemon
To start with I'd like to tell you that I'm not talking about writing a code for me or anything like that!

Actually there's a competition named 'Quanta' organised be CMS(City Montessori School), Lucknow, India

There is a section called 'Software Solutions'
And the Rules are as follows:

CMS Lucknow wrote:
Each team will be represented by two participants. The competition will consist of programming solutions to five problems. All the problems will be designed to test the problem solving ability of the participants. The programming languages will be C/C++ and Java.

Each team will be provided a computer, running Windows or DOS. Compilers will include associated development environments. It will also be possible to work with simple editors and the command line.

Teams will not be allowed to bring in and refer to any printed reference material, including software listings.

The input and output operations will be kept simple, allowing participants to concentrate on the problem solving aspects. Input will be character-based from standard input files. Output will be to the screen, using standard characters. All correct solutions will be expected to handle test data correctly.

Judging will be from the command line and not from any integrated program environment.

TIME LIMIT: 4 Hours.

Could someone interpret what this actually means?
I mean, will it be like a competition with some complex C++/Java based questions, which you have to solve(as in, make a program)

or will it be something else...
Also, what does Judging from the command line mean?
Peterssidan
I think you get a description of small programs so it has to give the correct output given the input. The programs can probably be tested in a automatic manner afterwards. I guess it's not so much language specific stuff but more problem solving, like it says.
speeDemon
Peterssidan wrote:
The programs can probably be tested in a automatic manner afterwards.

What exactly does that mean?
Peterssidan
What I tried to say was that when they validate your program they probably have test programs ready that feeds your program with various input and check so that the output is correct. So it will probably not be done by hand. This is just a guess though.
Fire Boar
Automatic testing happens something like this. Suppose you want to test a procedure in C++ called capitalize.

Code:
bool test(const char * input, const char * output)
{
  return (capitalize(input) == output);
}

if (!(
  test("foo", "FOO") &&
  test("Bar ", "BAR ") &&
  test("   ", "   ") &&
  test("", "")))
{
  cout << "One or more of the tests failed.";
}
else
{
  cout << "All tests were successful.";
}

Testing frameworks tend to be far more sophisticated than this of course, the above is just an example.
speeDemon
Fire Boar wrote:
Automatic testing happens something like this. Suppose you want to test a procedure in C++ called capitalize.

Code:
bool test(const char * input, const char * output)
{
  return (capitalize(input) == output);
}

if (!(
  test("foo", "FOO") &&
  test("Bar ", "BAR ") &&
  test("   ", "   ") &&
  test("", "")))
{
  cout << "One or more of the tests failed.";
}
else
{
  cout << "All tests were successful.";
}

Testing frameworks tend to be far more sophisticated than this of course, the above is just an example.

Ok, I got an idea about the whole 'automatic' part, but looking at this example, it seems that I don't have to do anything(edit) in my program, is it so, or am I mistaken?
Fire Boar
Correct, an automatic testing script is usually this: run program X with data Y. If return is Z, the testing was a success and the program handles input Y correctly, otherwise testing failed. This is run multiple times with a different Y and Z to attempt to cover all corner cases. Don't worry about the automatic testing: your program simply needs to be correct and follow the specification (input is in this format, output is in this other format).
speeDemon
Fire Boar wrote:
Correct, an automatic testing script is usually this: run program X with data Y. If return is Z, the testing was a success and the program handles input Y correctly, otherwise testing failed. This is run multiple times with a different Y and Z to attempt to cover all corner cases. Don't worry about the automatic testing: your program simply needs to be correct and follow the specification (input is in this format, output is in this other format).

Ok, thanks a lot, that cleared a lot of doubts!