FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Microsoft telescope Universe on Desktop

rjraaz
Microsoft released the first free public beta of its WorldWide Telescope which is software that lets amateur and professional stargazers explore the universe from their PCs. The WorldWide Telescope is a rich Web application that accesses high-resolution images taken by ground- and Earth-orbiting telescopes such as the Hubble Space Telescope, the Chandra X-Ray Observatory Center, and the Spitzer Space Telescope

The main screen of the Worldwide Telescope contains stars that are visible to the human eye which are mapped into constellations. You can navigate with your mouse in any direction and zoom in or out with its scroll wheel--points of interest appear when you mouse over. You can also use the top menu or search to find celestial bodies. Here you can see that the edge of the Big Dipper's cup does indeed point to Polaris or the North Star which is located at the cross.
sandmanxyz
Wow, I didn' t know about this. Thanks for the info man, loving it!!
Marcuzzo
it looks like a combination of google sky and google maps.
though I had to install silverlight 3 to make it work.
rjraaz
Marcuzzo wrote:
it looks like a combination of google sky and google maps.
though I had to install silverlight 3 to make it work.

Yes you are right this is silverlight based , you can download latest version of silverlight from:

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx
amperx
awww stinky microsoft, requiring silverlight to install, its quite a good app, but the concepts been there for quite sometime now
granvals
I have tried OpenOffice.I liked it,but could not keep using it because although they said it is compatibe with MS Office format,some of my docreated with MS Office and OO could not render it correctly like MS Office. Laughing
silverdown
Really? Wow thanks for sharing this.. I will check it out now.
jilbs
Good share man. Smile
bushidodadon475
Wow! Microsoft is really a big company that they launch a new first free public beta of its WorldWide Telescope. That should be listed on telescope for sale. Now, I believe that software would be the best telescope.