FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any Tips on Printing Books

coolclay
So I have been trying to find info on how to get books published. Most of my ideas won't be just text and will include a few pictures. My questions are what format or computer program do most publishing companies use? And how does one get it organized. Also how does one find a publishing company?
Ghost Rider103
Not sure where you could get them printed. Just doing a Google search on that I'm sure you'll find many, many places.

As far as organizing them, I know Adobe In Design is used by many magazine company's and others to organize all the pages. Not sure if you would do the same for a book or not.

I know a lot of manuscripts are also saved as a PDF.

As far as where to get the book printed/published, you're going to have to do some searching. Once you find a company, I'm sure they'll have instructions on how they want it to be prepared and saved.
jmlworld
Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Publisher are good programs used to organize book/magazine pages before getting them published. InDesign has built-in option to export your ready-made book into PDF, this will make sure to prevent the publishing guys from messing your book. Also there are several PDF plug-ins for Microsoft Office, if you ever end up using MS Publisher.

As for publishing, there are several trusted online companies who accept online orders for printing. I'm sure if they accept publishing books.

Also there are good printers if you want to do this job at home Very Happy
Bluedoll
If you search around you can find lots of software for writing however another option is to find a person who is willing to read and edit your material. The main purpose is reach a point where you are satisfied with the work (content and layout) before publishing right?

Then step two is to find the right publisher which can be time consuming and an appreciable amount work too but there is always the option to self-publish. Authors like William Blake, Virginia Woolf, and Walt Whitman started that way.

You can always get printing done. Vanity presses include true self printing, print on demand, subsidy publishing are companies that deal with authors wishing to have their books printed off.

http://www.Lulu.com

http://www.createbooks.com
coolclay
Awesome! This is great help guys. I figured microsoft publisher had the capability but wasn't exactly sure. Thanks so much! Now I just need to find the time to put it all together!
standready
Good luck on finding a publisher. Most publishers won't care what form your material is in. They will put your material into whatever system they use.

If, as Bluedoll pointed out, you decide to self-publish, why not just go electronic? Save paper and expense of printing. Several software options out there along with personalization of each copy.
zeda
http://www.lulu.com

Lulu.com prints books.
missdixy
I also have to mention Lulu. I got some books published with them (not just words, also pictures/graphs, etc.) and was really happy with the quality and the service. And the prices are not so bad, and they often have sales.
SonLight
Amazon now has a program called CreateSpace which I think you should consider. If you are able to put your book into good pdf format, they will print on demand and there is no charge except for copies actually printed. For under $20 you can get a copy into your hand, and decide whether to edit it some more or make it publically available.

They do have assistance available, and you might find it beneficial to get their help, probably at a price somewhere from $200 to $1000 depending on what you need. I don't have actual experience with them, but the minimal entry price makes it seem worthwhile to experiment with. There is documentation on the site, and some how-to information elsewhere on the internet. If you are committed to learning and trying I believe you can solve the technical problems without professional help. On the other hand, if you have a real blockbuster but lack editorial and organizing experience, you might do better with a traditional publisher.
iman
From personal experience, the publishing software is not that hard to find, the printer itself is the one hard to obtain Razz
coolclay
I certainly wouldn't mind electronic format for the sake of saving paper, but how many people actually would read something in an electronic format. There is just something about a book in your hand that some e-reader will never be able to accomplish. I do like the Amazon idea, I will definitely look into that. Thanks again everyone!
deanhills
Completely agreed. Although I don't mind an abstract of the book in electronic format, there is nothing greater than a freshly printed hard cover or soft cover book. I love the smell of it. Besides which, so much reading off the computer has to be bad for the eyes as well?
Bluedoll
When an author makes their work available in any format I think that is appreciated by the readers. Of course it depends on what the piece is but I also think that hard cover is the best. Electronic does have its merits (fast and less expensive?) and is something to be considered, I think.

Another consideration is why the book is being published in the first place. Sometimes large quantities of readers don’t access a book but should that stop the work from being published? I think not. But that may be another story. Smile
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
Another consideration is why the book is being published in the first place. Sometimes large quantities of readers don’t access a book but should that stop the work from being published? I think not. But that may be another story. Smile
Good point. As sometimes works of art aren't always readily appreciated during the lifetime of that author. Sort of only get appreciated after the author has been long gone. Furthermore, some authors just want to write the book and see it published, sort of a life long ambition. Whether others will be reading it may be optional to their main objective of writing and getting published.
standready
This just came on-line. Maybe it will help you?
pubit.barnesandnoble.com
missdixy
deanhills wrote:
Completely agreed. Although I don't mind an abstract of the book in electronic format, there is nothing greater than a freshly printed hard cover or soft cover book. I love the smell of it. Besides which, so much reading off the computer has to be bad for the eyes as well?

I hate reading books/articles on the computer. However, I am considering getting a nook. It doesn't seem as hard on the eyes.

Anyway, to the OP, did you ever find somewhere to publish your book?
coolclay
Thanks again for all the great ideas. The Amazon method seems like it has good reviews, and might work the best for my idea. I especially like the ability to buy a test print without investing a large quantity of cash, and then advertising with that copy. Even though they take a large cut, the convenience of no huge up front costs is a great freedom. I still have to actually put everything together, it's going to be a compilation piece, with many short stories from students and alumni at my alma mater. But if all goes as planned it should be fun!
standready
coolclay wrote:
it's going to be a compilation piece, with many short stories from students and alumni at my alma mater.

As I am sure you are already aware of, but for others thinking about doing a similar project, You need to have written releases from ALL contributors. DON"T try to publish anything that is not your own original work without a release and/or royalty agreement in place. A good publisher will demand proof because they could be held liable additional to you for copyright infringement.
Blaster
Good luck with getting it published. Hope you succeed. As for publishing I would google different publishing companies. I have a friend who is attempting to get one published now so I can talk to her and see what she is doing... As for format I'm sure in the beginning that really doesn't matter. They have to read it and all of that. If they want it in a specific format i'm sure they will let you know.
deanhills
Probably be good to check those online publishing companies and if anyone can recommend you companies go for the recommended ones only. There are some charlatans online that could take you for a ride with plenty of promises. And never deliver on them. Most of them are aspiring publishers, who either have just started, or aren't really making it and are broke. So probably would be a very good idea as well to check them out very carefully.