FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stuxnet: nation-on-nation viral first strike...?

Who did it?
USA
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Israel
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Russia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
UK
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
China
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
India
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
some combo of the above
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
whitehat with a penchant for non-nuclear proliferation
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

quex
This popped up via FARK today...

Stuxnet malware is "weapon" out to destroy... Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant?

The article does a fairly good job of explaining the worm's modus operandi and gives compelling evidence to support the theory that this is the first test of a nation-on-nation malware "weapon". The question remains, however, who did it? Who wrote Stuxnet? How many people, and funded by whom? And under whose initial vision? (My bet is on Israel.)

Long-distance sabotage, not delivered via Internet, but via the USB drive of a single operative, who may not even have been aware that he or she was infecting the system... it didn't even have to begin in the hands of anyone associated with the project. It could just multiply hundreds of thousands of times to simultaneously hide its trail and exponentially increase its chances of reaching its target.

Most fascinating to me is how this breaches the old "pull the plug" defense... keeping a system offline doesn't cut it anymore. I love it when anything oldschool comes back to bite folks in the ass. The human factor strikes again! Twisted Evil

In any case, any PLC writers out there (or any programmer familiar with the idea) who can give us some insight...? How hard would it be to actually write a program like this, if you had the PLC designer's input? Without it? With or without the funding of a national defense budget behind you...?
quex
I'm really surprised nobody's replied to this. Am I really that much of a nerd? ;_;

In any case, updates!

Stuxnet retargets to China

...which sounds like it's suddenly triggered a new phase, but is actually more about where the majority of new infections are cropping up. China reports no major damage thus far. But then again, this is China; the government isn't very forthcoming about when things start to go south.

Additionally, a new clue about the origin of the superworm points to Israel. Or at least one scriptkiddy who speaks Hebrew. Or, better yet, a red herring from a third party.

<irrational exuberance>
I cannot express how amped I am for this sh*t. When the battlelines are erased from the maps of nations and re-drawn on the bell curve of human IQ, I will be watching from the f*cking east end. With popcorn. Hell yeah.
</irrational exuberance>