FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gold Prospecting

jwellsy
Does anyone here like to go prospecting?
What's your favorite method, panning, sluice, high banking, dredge, crevassing, metal detector?
PureReborn
Do you do this as a personal hobby? As in you go out into the wild and try to find gold deposits?

That sounds interesting. Any success thus far?
dude_xyx
Wow people still do you ? I thought this is a long dead hobby.
Arty
I'd bite it.
driftingfe3s
I've never tried this, but for some reason, I think spending a day with a few of my buddies panning for some gold with some beers would be pretty fun.
HoytJolly
I have been panning for gold a few times in Dahlonega Georgia A few times. I had a lot of fun looking for gold. There were several mines that crush gold bearing granite and sell the sand to tourists. It takes about half an hour to sift through a bag full of sand, but seeing the gold at the end of the process makes the effort worth while. As you pan, you see nothing of value until you get the the very last layer of sand in the bottom of the pan. Then the gold suddenly appears.
watersoul
Thats such a cool hobby, and something I'd definitely do if there were any rivers worth panning near me. There is actually some gold hidden in the limestone cliffs near me, but its formed as incredibly thin strands locked in the rock which proved uncommercial to mine, at least in victorian times.
I've often been tempted to take a hammer and chisel when in the area (kayaking/cliffjumping etc) but its a protected piece of coast now, and I'm not sure that chipping away at the cliff face is very sensible anyway!

Here's a link to a pic of some local gold, currently held in the vault of the Natural History Museum in London, you'll see what I mean about the thin strands.
http://www.mindat.org/photo-136033.html

...if I could get away with it I probably would try, if only just to see the beauty of that hidden treasure Smile
coolclay
I've never panned for gold but I do go metal detecting fairly often. I have found some pretty cool things over the years.