FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

City Building Games ?

dude_xyx
Any City building game fans here ? I used to love these games. But don't have time to play this games because city building games take soo much time.

Games I have/Had

Star wars Rebellion - One of my all time favorite games. Old game with not so good graphics.
Pharaoh - Another one of my favorite games
SIM 3000 - use to play this one too. Never got the Air Port fixed, I dont know why.
Zeus - Beautiful 2D graphics and interesting game.
Caesar - Same game engine which Pharaoh has
Emperor Rise of Middle Kingdom - Same game engine which Pharaoh has. Some differences

Age of Empires 1/2, Rome and few other.
Empire Earth
Civilizations
Nameless
I used to play SimCity 2000, but I'm pretty much over pure city building games now. 4X games, on the other hand, I still enjoy sometimes. Master of Magic > you.
Peterssidan
When you say "City Building Games" I think of simcity. It's not my favourite genre but I have played a couple of them. I often find it hard to know how to improve things. Like I can't do anything to make it better, in simcity? why are not all my houses nice? :p So I stop play at some point..
I have played some Caesar III. I remember I thought it was fun but for some reason I never finished it.

Games like Age of Empires I see more as strategy games and that is better for me I guess.
dude_xyx
in both SIM City 3000 and other games like Zeus or Pharaoh I have never gotten everything perfect. Always something goes wrong. Also I never got the military thing correctly.

Some of these city building games are 4x games. For example Civilization, Galactic Civilizations, Colonization etc. I like those 4x space games too.
rayxzero
SimCity is the only game I know where you can build city and building.
dude_xyx
rayxzero wrote:

Anyone who like SImCity Should try Pharaoh or Zeus. Those city building games are lot better than SimCity and also graphics are soo much better. Only problem is you totally forget about time while you playing these games. Highly addictive too.
achowles
You should give Tropico 3 a try. Sure, it's slower paced on the building side of things than say, Sim City. But not only do you get a lot more control (placing each individual building, buying upgrades for it and fine tuning its function, for instance) but also there's a lot to the political side of the game which can have a major effect on how you play the game.

One major advantage is how each scenario has objectives you must reach to complete it. Once it's done you can carry on building if you like. But there's no requirement to. So it's not like Sim CIty where there's no end in sight. So it doesn't have to be such a major time sink to feel like you're progressing in the game.

The first Tropico is also good. But the lack of roads and graphical quality take it down a few notches from where Tropico 3 is at.
recked
Sim City 4 seems pretty fun, but watch out, as your city gets bigger, the more laggy it gets.
Nameless
recked wrote:
Sim City 4 seems pretty fun, but watch out, as your city gets bigger, the more laggy it gets.

That's probably just a case of insufficient computer specs rather than the game itself.
speeDemon
I loved SimCity, speacially the natural disasters. when you're bored, blow up stuff!
Also I remember that you could drive cars and stuff(not the best graphics but was fun), like police cars or something and catch people, though I'm a bit confused about that..
dude_xyx
Tropico 3 needs lot of power from PC. But graphics seems pretty cool. I like to try the old version, Tropico 1 or 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropico_3
Bluedoll
I was really amazed at the very first sim city game. Originally, it was only a few apple users who started a game project right. Playing sim city made me think of how real cities function. The concepts that these people started thinking about just fantastic. My only lament is I wish sim city would have went in another direction.
dude_xyx
Sim City was the origin of these city building type games I think.I like Sim City 3000 a lot. Cim City is the very first city building type game I played if except Age of Empires.
jilbs
How come Civilization V was not included? im just wondering
speeDemon
I was just thinking, can age of empires be included? or is that 'just' a stratergy game
tingkagol
dude_xyx wrote:
rayxzero wrote:

Anyone who like SImCity Should try Pharaoh or Zeus. Those city building games are lot better than SimCity and also graphics are soo much better. Only problem is you totally forget about time while you playing these games. Highly addictive too.

I agree with you a 100%. While Simcity 3000 was a pretty decent game (and later being disappointed with Simcity 4), I had a totally better experience playing Impressions Games. I had my first exposure to Pharaoh from a demo bundled with the original Half-Life (which was still under Sierra at the time). I played the game and was immediately hooked. I relished the way micro-managing had an immediate overall effect on your city. I especially liked managing "walkers" with roads and roadblocks. ^_^

I got Zeus and Emperor soon after. I haven't played Caesar 3 though. All in all, I really dug Impressions Games' city building formula, with Pharaoh taking the top spot.

EDIT: Tropico seems to be a pretty interesting title. I'll check it out in the future.

By the way, the Civilization games feel more like a board game than a city-building game to me.
tingkagol
Anyway, since Impressions Games closed shop, most of their game developers moved on to form Tilted Mill Entertainment. They have since created the following games:

Children of the Nile
Caesar IV
SimCity Societies
SimCity Societies: Destinations
Hinterland
Mosby's Confederacy

I'll definitely check out Caesar 4.
dude_xyx
Thanks for posting that game list tingkagol, there are few games I haven't played in that list. Hinterland
and Mosby's Confederacy are two of those. Children of the Nile is an expansion pack for Pharaoh ?

Same for me Ever since I had played Pharaoh demo which came with another game I have been hooked to that game. Then I found the game Zeus.

@ speeDemon and jilbs : Both Civilizations and age of empires are in my list but at bottom. I don't think they are 100% city building type games. They are more like command and Conquer type games. I haven't played Civilizations V only Civilizations 1 and 2 I think.
Plaintiff
I think i choose for Caesar, i like the Roman Empire so this was an very interesting game!
dude_xyx
Caesar, Pharaoh, Zeus, Emperor Rise of Middle Kingdom all have same game engine I think. Same system but different graphics. But all of those are interesting and also you learn a lot about these civilizations with these games.
achowles
dude_xyx wrote:
Tropico 3 needs lot of power from PC. But graphics seems pretty cool. I like to try the old version, Tropico 1 or 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropico_3

Of the two I'd definitely recommend the first one. But you can usually grab both in a pack called Tropico Reloaded, such as the one on GOG.

The first game is very similar in nature to the third. But due to the lack of roads (and subsequently transport) the game is a fair bit slower paced and expansion takes longer. So it depends on your playing style as to whether that's a good thing or not.
dude_xyx
Thnaks for advice Achowles, I ll try to find Tropico 1 game.

Also Anyone else has played the game called Hinterland ?
gandalfthegrey
I like City Design. It's not a game, but a map designer program for fantasy games. It is from the folks that brought us Campaign Cartographer and other similar mapping programs.
achowles
I'll also point out the in development Cities in Motion by Paradox. It's not a full city builder, but rather a game that harks back to the good old days of Transport Tycoon. You design transportation networks. I'm not 100% clear on all you'll get to do in the game. But you certainly seem to be able to design underground, rail, tram and monorail networks, roads and ports and airports.
silverdown
Age of Empire series you can build your city and attack the computer and or your friends Laughing
achowles
silverdown wrote:
Age of Empire series you can build your city and attack the computer and or your friends Laughing

The Age of Empires games are a totally different breed from city builders. Even if you do actually build stuff in Age of Empires. Essentially, Age of Empires is more about strategy and ultimately they're about combat. City builders don't have much (if anything) in the way of combat and are managerial games.
QrafTee
Tropico 3 and Anno 1440 gets my pick for recent ones. If you don't mind older ones... you should try out Startopia. I loved spending my time creating a fully working space station. Very Happy I wish there was another game like that, but a little more complex.
achowles
QrafTee wrote:
If you don't mind older ones... you should try out Startopia. I loved spending my time creating a fully working space station. Very Happy I wish there was another game like that, but a little more complex.

Oh, Startopia! I completely forgot to mention that one. Just note however that it may be necessary to disable Transform & Lighting (T&L) in the options menu. Otherwise the game is too slow on modern computers. Which is odd, but there you go.
kacsababa
Cities XL 2011 isn't bad either (SimCity type of thing).
Flakky
Nameless wrote:
recked wrote:

That's probably just a case of insufficient computer specs rather than the game itself.

With a 2.4ghz quad, 4gb ram and an nvidia GTX285, I can say it's the game Wink
wombatrpgs
You know, the original Sim City still has a lot of charm...
Flakky
Because of this thread I saw a Youtube video of Galactic Civilization 2 and my, I bought it and can not stop playing!

EDIT:
Played CitiesXL 2011 and it has many improvements compared to SimCity. You can easily make cities look more realistic by not adding straight roads everywhere.
Go give it a try if you like SimCity Wink
chiragpatnaik
Any idea about city builders on a PS3?

I really loved Caeser 3. Infact everytime I get a new PC I install this game to run on the side.
QrafTee
achowles wrote:
QrafTee wrote:
If you don't mind older ones... you should try out Startopia. I loved spending my time creating a fully working space station. Very Happy I wish there was another game like that, but a little more complex.

Oh, Startopia! I completely forgot to mention that one. Just note however that it may be necessary to disable Transform & Lighting (T&L) in the options menu. Otherwise the game is too slow on modern computers. Which is odd, but there you go.
There's also an unofficial patch released by one of the developers which used to work on my XP computer, but crashes on my newer machines--XP compatibility mode doesn't work either. Otherwise it works fine although the fights are a bit inefficient. It's hard to prioritize enemies over the auto-prioritization algorithm.
oly0015
For the price I'd say get tropico 3 vs cities xl, while it looks nice I found cities xl to be more of a pain then a fun game.
Flakky
oly0015 wrote:
For the price I'd say get tropico 3 vs cities xl, while it looks nice I found cities xl to be more of a pain then a fun game.

can you only build tropical island with Tropico as I'm not really into the tropical vibe?
achowles
Flakky wrote:
can you only build tropical island with Tropico as I'm not really into the tropical vibe?

Yeah, tropical islands. Tropical music. Tropical vibe. However, Haemimont, the people behind Tropico 3 did also create Grand Ages Rome. Now I don't need to tell you where that was set. That one might appeal to you more. There's a demo around somewhere you can try. Personally I found it rather more simplistic than Tropico 3, but that's not always such a bad thing.