FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any old movies you've seen recently that are good ones?

deanhills
I've just watched "Executive Decision" with Kurt Russell and that beautiful lady Halle Berry, and Steven Seagall. Every now and then there is an old movie (this one was from 1996) that really shines, even with less technology available at that time than current movies. What a good movie that is. The crooks really look like crooks should look, mean and nasty and really brutal killers, without having to prove that with lots of blood and slaughter. The acting and the production were great from beginning to end. Kurt Russell and Halle Berry in particular. Any one else saw this movie as well, or any other old movie recently, and impressed with it?

c'tair
Hackers
It came out in 1995 so it's waaaay old by today's standards. However it epically describes the time at which it was made - the rave music present at that time, the wild popularity of skateboards and rollerblades as an actual mode of transportation as well as the fear people had of those mythical cyber warriors who could steal your life savings at the click of a button - hackers.

The Maltese Falcon
Well, if that movie was old, then this is ancient - it came out in 1941 and is a classic noir film about a detective, love, murder and money. It's really worth seeing because even though it won't serve you action by todays standards (and no CGI too :p), you can easily see that each scene is specifically tailored to look awesome - it follows all classic beauty ratios that are still used today when drawing or painting portraits.
silverdown
Wow i watch old movies all the time where should I start?

Over the top
Smokie and the bandits
Twinsitters
Surburban Commando
Short Cirtcut
Jumping Jack Flash.

I could go on but if you are a movie fan you might see the patter Laughing
catscratches
I like how people say movies from the 90's are waay old.

Of course I'm required to mention Stalker in any thread like this, since it's my favourite movie of all time.
Stalker (1979) by Andrei Tarkovsky

An excellent film of spirituality, meaning, art and belief. A masterpiece, like everything Tarkovsky did.

Angel's Egg (1985) by Mamoru Oshii

A surrealistic masterpiece on religion and its consequences, flooded with spiritual themes.

Network (1976) by Sidney Lumet

An oddly prophetic film about media and exploitation.

Through a Glass Darkly (1961) by Ingmar Bergman

An excellect drama from the master.
deanhills
I thought "The Birdcage" (1996) with Nathan Lane and Gene Hackman was hilarious, one of the best shows I've seen. I was rolling with laughter right through this movie, and Nathan Lane stole the show for me:

I actually like Gene Hackman movies like "The Crimson Tide". He was excellent in the movie, really powerful acting between him and Denzel Washington.

"Enemy of the State" with Will Smith was also a really good movie.
menino
I love some of the old movies, like Legend (tom cruise), short circuit, The 5th Element, the last starfighter, aliens, top gun, E.T., Conan the barbarian, Empire of the sun, Independence day, Hunt for Red October, Never Ending Story, to name a few

The birdcage was funny, but I thought it was because of Robin Williams.
ankur209
Last Night I saw "50 First Dates" and "Serendipity".
Both were awesome movies.Don't know how old were they,but Drew Barrymore was looking quite young in that.

Awesome Romantic Flicks.!! Laughing
dude_xyx
Its hard to come up with a list of old movies I like because I don't remember names of those.

1) StarWars Old 3 movies - I have watched them over and over for more than 10 years.
2) Aliens 2 - A great movie. (1984) One of my all time favorites
3) The Core (2003)
4) Executive Decision
5) Deep Rising
6) Speed
7) Bad Boys will Smith and Martin Lawrence
Cool Independent day
9) Seven Samurai - Pretty old movie. Japanese. If you like Kendo You might like this one.
10) Rush Hour
catscratches
We should of course not forget to mention:

Classics
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), by Stanley Kubrick

Up there as one of the greatest sci-fi:s ever.

A Clockwork Orange (1971), by Stanley Kubrick

Astonishing portrayal of violence and control.

Citizen Kane (1941), by Orson Welles

A classic character study.

The Cranes Are Flying (1957), by Mikhail Kalatozov

Love story scorn by war. One of the best anti-war movies.

The Boat (1981), by Wolfgang Petersen

Depicts the tediousness, the excitement and the hope and hopelessness of a U-boat crew during world war II.

The Seventh Seal (1957), by Ingmar Bergman

Death and religion. Doubt and reason.

Nosferatu (1922), by Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau

Stylistic, genre defining horror.

Psycho (1960), by Alfred Hitchcock

See above.
dude_xyx
2001: A Space Odyssey is pretty cool. I read the whole series of novels. 2001, 2010, 2068, 3000 which were among the greatest science fiction novels ever.

This movie is great too. I hope one of those big companies will redo this movie.
catscratches
No. There are too many remakes already, and they are always horrible. You should not remake what isn't broken.

Edit: I read through 20 of the latest Hollywood-movies. 45% were remakes or sequels.
Wow, Michelangelo's The Last Judgement was great! I can't wait for someone to repaint it!
Parkour_Jarrod
The hustler (1961) was always a good one featuring Paul Newman...
deanhills
Agreed. Actually all of Paul Newman's movies were excellent and memorable movies for me. I can't think any of his "classics" on the circuit I do not like very much, except perhaps the one with Liz Taylor "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". Liz Taylor was just not right for the role she played in the movie.
D'Artagnan
David Lych Dune, i was actually looking for the miniseries, i found the movie so interesting - and i didn't even knew it was a book!!! (which is a sin i know)

Radar
If you're talking old, I was close to watching Once Upon A Time In The West recently. Sadly it fell through though.

Possibly one of the oldest movies that I've seen is The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Good, and holds it's own.
deanhills
Radar wrote:
If you're talking old, I was close to watching Once Upon A Time In The West recently. Sadly it fell through though.

Possibly one of the oldest movies that I've seen is The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Good, and holds it's own.
Now that reminds me of a real Sergio Leone favourite classic of mine: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with that great music score as well by Ennio Morricone. All of Sergio Leone's "spaghetti" movies, including Once Upon a Time in the West were master pieces, but the Good, the Bad and the Ugly my favourite. Lee Van Cleef was excellent as the baddie in the movie, and I really liked the "Ugly" character Tuco (played by Eli Wallach). Reminds me, I do have a copy and think in light of lack of good TV viewing, will check it out again over the weekend.
driftingfe3s
I just saw the Director's Cut of Blade Runner a week ago. I really liked the film.

Blade Runner IMDB Page

Blade runner is a science fiction futuristic movie starring Harrison Ford as a "blade runner", someone who hunts humanoid robots who have gone rogue and have started killing people. I thought the movie was pretty advanced for being released in 1982.
deanhills
@driftingfe3s. Bladerunner is definitely a brilliant movie. A work of art in every sense of the word, and especially for the eighties. The cinematography was excellent. Sean Young was great as well in that movie alongside Harrison Ford. I think that was her best acting role yet.
toasterintheoven
Through a glass darkly's a really good movie, agreed, ever since reading about its Corinthian origins, I wanted to watch it again. Another good classic movie is "Repulsion," starring Catherine Deneuve, directed by Polansky, also a very good psychological thriller
metalfreek
12 Angry Men is the old movie I have just watched. Nice movie and it is on imdb top 20 list I think. A must watch movie for all.