FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Obama: Failing the Middle Class?





deanhills


Quote:
From New York Times: Im exhausted of defending you, defending your administration, defending the mantle of change that I voted for, said the first questioner, an African-American woman who identified herself as a chief financial officer, a mother and a military veteran. Ive been told that I voted for a man who was going to change things in a meaningful way for the middle class and Im waiting sir, Im waiting. I still dont feel it yet.

A 30-year-old law school graduate told Mr. Obama that he had hoped to pursue a career in public service like the president but complained that he could barely pay the interest on his student loans, let alone think of getting married or starting a family.

I was really inspired by you and your campaign and the message you brought, and that inspiration is dying away, he said, adding, And I really want to know, is the American dream dead for me?

The extraordinarily personal tone of the session, coupled with more substantive policy questions from the host, John Harwood of CNBC and The New York Times, reflects the erosion of support for Mr. Obama among the constituencies that sent him to the White House two years ago.

It was all the more compelling coming from such a friendly audience; one questioner, a small-business owner in Pennsylvania, began by praising the president for turning around the auto industry, then lamented: Youre losing the war of sound bites. Youre losing the media cycles.

Poor Obama. Looks as though he is losing his usual support. When he went on one of his usual campaigns to rally support ahead of the November elections, he completely got a thumbs-down from his usual supporters. Refer article in the New York Times.

Worst of all to me is that the New York Times, who has always supported him and his administration in their editorials, seem to have picked up on this dwindling support as well. The Republicans may have Tea Party problems, but looks as though Obama has a loss of support that may create much worse problems for him. Previously his worst problems were the lefties of the Democratic Party. Now it would seem that the real Foundation of what put him in office in the first place is having second thoughts. Wonder what could save him now. A great crisis perhaps in Afghanistan?

Going to be really interesting elections in November. Does sound as though the mood is changing everywhere, and not only in the Republican camp.
c'tair
Well, people were expecting a miracle to occur. That Obama gets voted into office and the next day everybody makes a 100k$ per year, gets free KFC and Wendy's and the Federal Government installs a heated pool at everbody's home.

Sorry, that's how it looked like during the campaign. Hope. Change.

Why don't people understand that things like employment and industry is in the power of the economic market and not in the power of the president?

I also still don't understand the American youth's mentality that after finishing college, they are owed a job. Hey, you actually have to fight for that job, prove you're the best, try time and time again!
handfleisch
I agree with C'tair. Obama made some comments yesterday that touched on this subject

http://www.reuters.com/assets/print?aid=USTRE68K0AU20100921

Quote:
Speaking to a friendlier crowd in Philadelphia, Obama defended his agenda and lambasted Republicans, calling them the party of "no, we can't" and saying they would seek to reinstate failed Bush-era policies if they regained control of Congress.

But he also chided those on the left who have grown impatient with his sometimes middle-ground approach.

"This is not some academic exercise," Obama said. "As Joe Biden put it, don't compare us to the Almighty; compare us to the alternative," he said to laughter.
...
"This is what change looks like," Obama said in Philadelphia. "In a big, messy democracy like ours, a country that's huge and diverse, you know, it's not smooth. But it's worthwhile."
coolclay
It's definitely true that people expected much more from Obama. It's no surprise they expected huge amounts of sweeping change because that is what he ran his campaign around. I am in the middle of reading a great book by Meghan McCain called Dirty Sexy Politics, she really makes a point of pointing out the love affair America had with the Obama's. This past election wasn't about politics at all, it was a popularity contest, and we all know who won. Obama promised sweeping change but certainly did not deliver what he promised. I think the largest reason being that he was involved so deeply with the extreme cohorts of his party that it blinded him from making the bipartisan change he promised. He promised togetherness and delivered the same partisan BS the we are all used too.

That's why I liked McCain because he really was a maverick and voted not only along party lines, but what he thought was the best for the people.

Either way this November will be certainly interesting in all regards, the independents have been so disappointed by the Dems, that they may actually vote for people on neither end of the spectrum more independent politicians. Or at least we can only hope.
menino
Obama made a lot of promises of change, but I don't think that anyone can deliver all of them, especially with the focus he has to give on other agendas, and the current economic crisis, which does not seem to be stabilized as yet.

Actually, I think that the economy is dependent on the President and heads of state. It is their duty to ensure that the economy is running smoothly, as I believe.
Jobs availability are then dependent on that economy, and then people can utilise their skills to get the jobs that are available and that they want.

A lot of factors are at play, and initially I thought that the Health Care bill was a huge milestone, but it is not benefitting the jobless who are increasing in number because of the economy.

I do still admire Obama, but it is dminishing, as time is going on.

I think the only thing that can save his administration, is not another crisis, but him keeping up to his promises.
c'tair
^ It still doesn't change the fact the his whole campaign was based on the promises of change.

In my eyes, both sides are guilty because Obama made some pretty empty promises and the people that voted for him actually believed in miracles.
deanhills
I don't think he is a "bad" President, he is obviously trying his best. But Coolclay is completely right. Obama went all out on a campaign that created enormous expectations. In addition, the nation's disillusionment with Bush at the time of his campaign may have made Obama look almost like a saviour and set people up for disappointment.

Handfleisch, that was not a wise response by Obama. That sort of made nonsense of what had happened to make himself look good with his next audience of the moment. Probably would have been better if he had not said anything about it at all, or if he had, talked about it along the lines that he appreciates feedback and has taken note of what everyone had to say.
socceraggie
deanhills wrote:
I don't think he is a "bad" President, he is obviously trying his best. But Coolclay is completely right. Obama went all out on a campaign that created enormous expectations. In addition, the nation's disillusionment with Bush at the time of his campaign may have made Obama look almost like a saviour and set people up for disappointment.

Handfleisch, that was not a wise response by Obama. That sort of made nonsense of what had happened to make himself look good with his next audience of the moment. Probably would have been better if he had not said anything about it at all, or if he had, talked about it along the lines that he appreciates feedback and has taken note of what everyone had to say.


History will determine whether Obama becomes a "bad" or "good' president. I think the intelligent voter could expect for any politician to follow through on maybe 5% of the promises they make on the campaign trail. First, one person does not have the power to change anything in the government. They can suggest, recommend, or coerce things to happen, but it still comes down to a large amount of individually elected members of our government.

Second, I feel Obama has fallen below the 5% follow through mark. Just because he is "trying his best" does not mean we should give him a pass. In my world, if I "try hard" but fail, I still failed. My boss feels the same way. Just because I did my best for the year, if I don't hit certain targets or if the company doesn't hit certain targets, I don't get a bonus. That's life. If Obama doesn't start appearing to be doing more, I don't know that he will be around for a second term.
handfleisch
socceraggie wrote:
History will determine whether Obama becomes a "bad" or "good' president. I think the intelligent voter could expect for any politician to follow through on maybe 5% of the promises they make on the campaign trail. First, one person does not have the power to change anything in the government. They can suggest, recommend, or coerce things to happen, but it still comes down to a large amount of individually elected members of our government.

Second, I feel Obama has fallen below the 5% follow through mark. Just because he is "trying his best" does not mean we should give him a pass. In my world, if I "try hard" but fail, I still failed. My boss feels the same way. Just because I did my best for the year, if I don't hit certain targets or if the company doesn't hit certain targets, I don't get a bonus. That's life. If Obama doesn't start appearing to be doing more, I don't know that he will be around for a second term.


Which "follow through" mark are you referring to? Politifact.com, which keeps track of politician's promises, gives Obama a high score. In two years he has done a lot of good, a lot of changes, a total reversal on some things and it's great.
socceraggie
handfleisch wrote:
Which "follow through" mark are you referring to? Politifact.com, which keeps track of politician's promises, gives Obama a high score. In two years he has done a lot of good, a lot of changes, a total reversal on some things and it's great.


I wasn't referring to any mark. As I stated,
socceraggie wrote:
I feel Obama has fallen below the 5% follow through mark.
This was referring to my personal impression of his performance.
handfleisch
socceraggie wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
Which "follow through" mark are you referring to? Politifact.com, which keeps track of politician's promises, gives Obama a high score. In two years he has done a lot of good, a lot of changes, a total reversal on some things and it's great.


I wasn't referring to any mark. As I stated,
socceraggie wrote:
I feel Obama has fallen below the 5% follow through mark.
This was referring to my personal impression of his performance.


Yes, some people feel this way because they have been misinformed -- the media doesn't do its job in telling people the good news, and the Democrats are not being aggressive enough in proclaiming their victories. But according to the nonpartisan Politifact.com, of Obama's promises fully 94% have been kept, partially kept in compromise or are in the works. Not bad, don't you think? Do you "feel" a little differently now?

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/rulings/promise-kept/
socceraggie
handfleisch wrote:
Do you "feel" a little differently now?


No not really.
coolclay
Numbers don't change people's emotions. Just like there was absolutely nothing that could have stopped Obama's momentum during the election, there is nothing that can stop the reverse momentum. Feeling's are feelings.
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
Yes, some people feel this way because they have been misinformed -- the media doesn't do its job in telling people the good news, and the Democrats are not being aggressive enough in proclaiming their victories. But according to the nonpartisan Politifact.com, of Obama's promises fully 94% have been kept, partially kept in compromise or are in the works. Not bad, don't you think? Do you "feel" a little differently now?

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/rulings/promise-kept/

I definitely do not agree with you on this one Handfleisch. The media was fully on the side of the Democrats up to this summer. But this summer some of your senior political analysts of high-profile political publications like Time Magazine started to ask very serious questions with regard to Obama's ability to reign in debt and manage the economy. I suspect that he has fallen out with big wheels among the wealthy and that his problems are high-level ones that are now filtering through to the media.

I like socceraggie's point of view, and his 5% analogy. He put it very well. Trying hard is never enough. There has to be a minimum degree of success, or perhaps better said for the world of politics, the "perception" of success.
socceraggie
Funny how perception can have a much bigger impact than fact. Isn't that the core of politics anyway?
handfleisch
socceraggie wrote:
Funny how perception can have a much bigger impact than fact. Isn't that the core of politics anyway?

Not for thinking people.
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
socceraggie wrote:
Funny how perception can have a much bigger impact than fact. Isn't that the core of politics anyway?

Not for thinking people.
But isn't thinking usually based on perception? Smile

I agree with socceraggie. In politics in particular how people perceive their political leaders is usually more than half the battle for that political leader to be elected. Obama being a very good example of that.
Arty


The same video with Obama's response.
deanhills
Thanks Arty, that is a much improved show. Obama is really good with the gab, he has a great way with words! Really good production.
Related topics
Forex trading and middle class trader
Democrats to increase tax burden over $5,000 per taxpayer
Congratulations President Obama
Obama's speech to Congress Feb 24, 2009
Obama's first 6 months, a list of accomplishments
Personal Income Lower Under Obama
Barrack HUSSEIN Obama
What's the diference
barack obama, friend or foe?
Obama's new video about the economy
Plan to Strengthen the Economy
Money, and who should have it.
Obama and Dems Hindering Recovery
Tea Party Protests
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.