FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Solar flare warning from NASA

yagnyavalkya
Here is a news item
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tomchivers/100008500/nasas-2013-solar-flare-warning-how-much-do-we-need-to-worry/
what is the take here
how serious is this
I read that "British Defence Secretary Liam Fox called an emergency conference in London yesterday where he warned experts that an incalculable damage would be caused if such an explosion took place in modern times"
Is it true
socceraggie
I don't know if it is true or not, but this is certainly a scary concept/threat. Topics like this always make me realize how small we and our planet are in the universal scale. Our entire world could end suddenly if something on a cosmic scale took place. Movies like Armageddon entertain us and give us hope that we would have the knowledge and skill to protect ourselves. I find this to be very unlikely and then I sleep well at night knowing I can't do anything about it so I might as well be happy! Smile

Smile, we are probably just some reality show for another planet (like South Park predicted).
_AVG_
I think solar flares screw up electronics really badly (by providing such a high amount of energy, they will probably overload every circuit on the planet ... not a happy outcome for anyone). I guess I heard one way to counteract it though ... something about switching off the transformers around the planet or something. I'm not sure about the exact details though
Question

Nonetheless, "solar wind" as it is called I think consists of harmful high energy rays (light of high frequencies) which could be harmful (like cosmic rays I think)
yagnyavalkya
I am searching for article that throws some more light into this thing if anybody finds anything please do post
baboosaa
our planet earth has it's own magnet in the core. That is it has north pole and south pole just like a magnet but it's size is huge. And the main part is that our earth magnet is producing magnetic field all around our earth and this field is our shield to solar flares or say cosmic waves. This magnetic field blocks all those charged particles in the atmosphere and doesnot let it touch our planet. That is why there is light work in north pole and south pole of earth. That is caused when cosmic waves coming form sun enter into earth's magnetic field.
ocalhoun
baboosaa wrote:
our planet earth has it's own magnet in the core. That is it has north pole and south pole just like a magnet but it's size is huge. And the main part is that our earth magnet is producing magnetic field all around our earth and this field is our shield to solar flares or say cosmic waves. This magnetic field blocks all those charged particles in the atmosphere and doesnot let it touch our planet. That is why there is light work in north pole and south pole of earth. That is caused when cosmic waves coming form sun enter into earth's magnetic field.

Earth's protections guard it adequately from normal solar radiation... But a flare might be strong enough to force its way through and overwhelm the protections.
...And in any case, we'd loose most if not all satellites, and that alone would cause some significant problems.
_AVG_ wrote:
I think solar flares screw up electronics really badly (by providing such a high amount of energy, they will probably overload every circuit on the planet ... not a happy outcome for anyone). I guess I heard one way to counteract it though ... something about switching off the transformers around the planet or something. I'm not sure about the exact details though

Disconnecting them all might help, but simply switching off wouldn't prevent the inducted power spike.
Electronics could be protected inside Faraday cages, but that isn't commonly done outside of hardened military applications.
Josso
http://spaceweather.com/solarflares/topflares.html

A lot of the ones that get reported aren't really that big. There was a big one in the 19th century however that messed up what little electronic infrastructure there was at the time, if it happened now it would be a lot more serious. The most vulnerable electronics are things that are very low voltage such as phones etc
ocalhoun
Josso wrote:
The most vulnerable electronics are things that are very low voltage such as phones etc

Being connected to antennas (or things that will act like antennas, such as a power grid) would also increase vulnerability.
marco404
Look this...
Looks like NASA being awareness for something we don't know (or do know)

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/hq/emergency/personalPreparedness/index.html
crystalkey
It's in advance for "National Preparedness Month" which falls in September of each year. Lots of good info there, regardless of the time of year.