FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Code the Iphone why?

chasbeen
Hello people who play with code..

Here we are again different computer Operating System and incompabbility issues.
There is no doubt that Apple are mllking the idea of the App Store and there are still tons of people trying to write a new "app for that"

Apple is synonymous with quality but don't forget they also have a browser working on the iPhone and it is nearly compatible with the Safari browser that runs on PC's

My question is why do people bother coding on the unique App Store environment when they could write more generic applications that work on all compatible browsers?

Interested in your Answers...
harismushtaq
To develop applications on browser, there are a few options. One option is flash and I am not sure if flash plugins can seamlessly run on iphone or not (inside safari). Another option that I have been using for a long time is Javascript. Ther are limitations here. Browser is slow. Javascript is not compiled code and is inherently slow. It is hard to debuug and it is difficult to write Object Oriented, maintainable code in javascript.

On the contrary, C, C++, Java etc provide greater set of tools, APIs, design resources. New native APIs like accelerometer would be easier to program in these languages then in Javascript. In general , you cannot compare a desktop/native application to a web application or client side script application.
chasbeen
Thanks for your input. Flash has been outlawed on the iphone.
Yes, i'm talking javascript on the client side.
I'm Certified by Sun to write Java with 2 certification exams, but I would never go back, not after using php.

Actually I used to think Javascript was slow until I tried a relatively high volume js on an iPhone3 the other day.
I also did not appreciate the fact that you can deliver good oo code with javascript, just like you can in Java.

Your obviously an industry expert, so I value your comments.
Ankhanu
As an iPhone user, I see no reason why I would use a browser based app over a stand alone app. Getting out of the browser allows much more polish and a better interface, with a better sense of "focus" on whatever you're doing.

Safari is a decent enough browser, but it would be a pretty nasty app platform.
chasbeen
Ank

I'm interested in your response.

I'm sure there will be a "hide browser edge" facility eventually (Press esc to show address bar)
Now, taking away the edges of the Safari browser.

Would you be satisfied with that?

Remember, if you are, this is interesting because your App will work everywhere (Not just the iPhone)

Please educate if you disagree. I only up to now looked at other peoples iPhones to test my Browser based apps.
Ankhanu
With a "hide browser edge" feature, you'd have to still be careful about resolution space; the iPhone 4 has a larger resolution than its predecessors; though I'm not sure if there was an increase between the original and the 3G/3Gs (I don't think there was). This will affect how your browser based site will render between devices... plus the issue of a full screen rendering on actual desktop/laptop browsers (and cross-platform compatibility between browsers). To avoid any annoying scrolling and to have appropriately sized buttons, you'll have a bit of a challenge with rendering, unless maybe you build a site for each type of viewing (ie. http://app.com as the main computer based, http://mobile.app.com for one iPhone resolution, http://mobile2.app.com for the other resolution ??) I dunno, just some ideas I guess Razz
In theory, you could also access this web-based app via other smartphone platforms; you'll have to keep up with the specs and rendering on various Android, Blackberry, etc. devices. That could be a headache.

I think it can work, but you'll have to keep in mind all the variables.

Alternatively, you could develop a web-based version and an iPhone app that both access the same database, so whether you log in from the phone or a computer, you access all the same account information. This would allow you to build a really nice App interface and a nice browser based interface, each optimized for the more likely viewing platform. I've seen this done with a couple apps with some success; heck Mail does this... I can acess gmail, for example, via my Mail app, through the browser, or through my home system without any loss of service between them.
chasbeen
Quote:
To avoid any annoying scrolling and to have appropriately sized buttons, you'll have a bit of a challenge with rendering,

Nope, I don't think so, as things can be designed to be dynamically sized depending on the size somebody opens the browser (Not the device)

Quote:
you'll have to keep up with the specs and rendering on various Android, Blackberry

Both these makes are where IE6 was when it came out and then came Firefox and other browsers based around the same base technology. I'm predicting that this time Apple will win the market. (Unlike last time when they had the best OS but lost out to the better marketing of Msoft)

Quote:
Alternatively, you could develop a web-based version and an iPhone app that both access the same database,

Of course, thats what i'm talking about. It would be silly to do anything else and it's also what you would expect to do on any application written for the browser. The application just sees the browser, not the device.

Quote:
I've seen this done with a couple apps with some success; heck Mail does this... I can acess gmail, for example, via my Mail app, through the browser

Now your getting it!