FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Collecting Coins ?

dude_xyx
Anyone here collect coins ? It has been one of my oldest hobbies. I collect local old coins. I think oldest coins I have are just 1000-800 years old. I heard in some European countries still they find over 1500 years old Roman Coins often.
Flakky
I collect coins on frihost, I currently have 0. Does this count as well? Razz
watersoul
dude_xyx wrote:
Anyone here collect coins ? It has been one of my oldest hobbies. I collect local old coins. I think oldest coins I have are just 1000-800 years old. I heard in some European countries still they find over 1500 years old Roman Coins often.

Wow, thats pretty cool, can you post any pics? Smile
An 800+ year old coin?! Are you rich or just lucky?!

I don't have a metal detector and haven't the spare cash to buy old coins either, so I go for fossil hunting instead sometimes chasing the million+ year old treasures trapped in local limestone cliffs.

...I do have an "old" 1 penny and 50 pence from the year I was born though, found them in my change back along and keep them as things that have aged better than me! Laughing
D'Artagnan
watersoul wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:

Wow, thats pretty cool, can you post any pics? Smile
An 800+ year old coin?! Are you rich or just lucky?!

i thought exactly that... ""just"" 800 years, it's worth a lot...
i have an coin from 1908, its the oldest one , but i'm not a collector, i just happen to have them
dude_xyx
Well value of an old coin doesn't depends on its age. There are other more important factors.

1. Condition of the Coin. (if its in mint condition or hasn't damaged it worth more)
2. Rarity (Some old coins are rare and some coins are pretty common)
3. Metal (Silver and gold coins are worth more than copper coins most of the time)
4. Age (age matters only if the coin is very old)

Those older coins I have are copper coins and those are bit common so not much value on those.
watersoul
Wow, just had a check and some aren't that expensive even from the 13th century...

http://coins.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p2897.m570.l1313&_nkw=13th+century+coin&_sacat=11116

...got me really interested now, I'd love an 800 yr old coin Smile

*edit* And thanks for posting the topic dude, I'd never have known without reading it, always thought ancient coins would be beyond the reach of my salary!
dude_xyx
Okey is one of my old coin. This is a Sri Lankan copper coin which was circulated around 1050 AD. This is pretty common coin So not rare or valuable. Yet its cool to have these old coins.

Yes. you can find old coins for very cheap price. Better check with your local shops and collectors because buying from place like Ebay can be risky. Sometimes you might get fake coins.
watersoul
Dude, thats just complete "Wow!" for me!
Nearly a thousand years old, I'd love to have something like those, it's not the cash value of them to me, they're worth far more in my mind by imagining how many things were bought with them by however many different people over the years. Nice one Smile
speeDemon
My sister is really interested in collecting coins, and I give her all the 'new' ones I find. She generally just collects Indian currencies(easiest to find), other than that if anyone ever goes to some other countries she takes some coins from them as well. Recently we went to singapore and got some Singapore dollars, other than that she has some european(my mom and dad once went for a european tour, long time back) coins, australian and egyptian ones..

Btw the picture of the coin, wow..!!
dude_xyx
It always fascinate me these old coin. I mean how many people must had used them and these coins were used like 1000 years ago.

These days I'm collecting only local old coins and old coins of British Commonwealth. I have an interest in old Roman and Greek coins but they are hard to find.

Also I have few coins minted by United East India Company (Dutch). Those coins were used around in 1700's and they were called as Duit.
HoytJolly
I used to have a vending machine and while operating it, I collected drummer boy quarters. I liked how unique they were and thought that someday, they might be worth something because they were so unique. Little did I know that eventually practically every quarter would have a unique image on it. sigh.
dude_xyx
Well even those coins will have an value years after. But old coins are a different story. Older the coins get price goes higher bit by bit. Just like old stamps. I bought first old coin seven years old. Now the same coin cost twice as I paid for them seven years ago.
Seiorai
I collect coins as well *the real ones of course* Razz
Well, to be honest it would probably be more appropriate to say "I collected", because since we moved to a new town the only way to keep in contact with my old club mates and with numismatics news or traders is over the Internet, the new town not having any club or community of this kind >.<
My oldest one is a 1721 coin, that I found myself about 10 years back xD

On a side note, if anyone invented teleporting anytime during my lifetime, it'd be a treat for me to go back to when a certain coin was "lost" or misplaced or buried, etc and see who, how, in what circumstances placed the coin there for me (or someone else to find* years or hundreds of years later xD
dude_xyx
Good to see another coin collector ! Could you tell us little more about this 1721 coin ? A photo would be great too.
PureReborn
I collect Quarters (Canadian $0.25 coins), there are tons of different kinds out from various events.

Also I try to collect a set of coins from every country I travel to. (Only China, Canada, USA at this point)
dude_xyx
I just Googled about world's oldest coin and found some interesting information about it.

The Lydian Lion coin is the oldest coin ever found or at least believed to be. The question of the world's the oldest coin, has long been debated and is still very much debated today. This coin was minted around 600 BC in Lydia, current day Turkey.

silverdown
I have a few coins i got from my grandparents for a holiday once, not sure what they are but i guess i colllect them hehe.
dude_xyx
silverdown wrote:
I have a few coins i got from my grandparents for a holiday once, not sure what they are but i guess i colllect them hehe.

Do you know how old are they or which country they were from ?

E-bay had soo many old coin for sale and auction. Lot of gold coins too. I saw some old local coins which I'm trying to not to bid.
nigam
i love this topic and that picture of the old coin gives me a time to look at my paper and coin collections anywhere in the world...i am still looking for it...unfortunately, i couldn't find it yet...i am hoping i will find it someday....i hope i haven't threw it years ago Sad
dude_xyx
Hope you will find your collection soon and safe. I lost my most of my bank notes because those were not properly stored. I was too young and didn't have money or knowledge to keep those safe. So Now I again collecting old bank notes again with a proper band note Album. Same about coins too, some old coins I had are no longer with me. I don't know what happened to those but probably misplaced.
mtorregiani
Wow, those old coins are just amazing!! I have some old coins, from my country, and the oldest one I have is from 1905... I have around 50 coins in my collection, I know that I don't have a lot, but It'll be cool to have them in 50 years... some of my coins will have like 80 years old hahaha
dude_xyx
mtorregiani wrote:
Wow, those old coins are just amazing!! I have some old coins, from my country, and the oldest one I have is from 1905... I have around 50 coins in my collection, I know that I don't have a lot, but It'll be cool to have them in 50 years... some of my coins will have like 80 years old hahaha

That's cool you have 80 years old coins. Do do you any photos of those coins ? Any of those coins are silver ?
standready
I have a few older coins - silver dollars, wheat pennys, bicentennial quarters. I occassionally find a wheat penny in my change from stores.
watersoul
Just found a bag of coins from my various travels in Asia, none really old, but the ones from Laos are probably the most interesting if only because their currency is so absolutely worthless they don't even produce or use the coins anymore. I'll practice some macro shots with my camera tomorrow and post them up here if they come out OK.

...really loving this topic, and really got me wanting to find ancient coins now!
dude_xyx
@ watersoul : Hope you will able to take those macor photos soon.

@ standready : I would love to see photos of those Silver dollar coins. If you can please take few photos and post here.

Yesterday I bought several old coins. This is one of those coins. Ceylon 50 cent silver coin, 1893.

watersoul
dude_xyx wrote:

Yesterday I bought several old coins. This is one of those coins. Ceylon 50 cent silver coin, 1893.

I really like that Smile

Couldn't find my Laos coins, and I'm really disappointed that I seem to have lost them, got loads of quite boring and common Malay Sen, and others, but the ones I really wanted to find (the no longer produced Laos coins) are missing.

I did find something unusual though (and I've no idea where I picked it up), a 20 Kopek Soviet coin from 1932, and I've never been near Russia!

*edit* Just did a search on 1932 Soviet history, and the year this coin was produced was a terrible year of famine in the Soviet Union:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_famine_of_1932%E2%80%931933
Quote:
The Soviet famine of 1932Ė1933 killed many millions in the major grain-producing areas of the Soviet Union. These areas included Ukraine, Northern Caucasus, Volga Region and Kazakhstan, the South Urals, and West Siberia.

...that has really made me wonder now about how many hungry (or privileged few) hands held this coin before it ended up in a plastic bag in my house 78 years later.
dude_xyx
That coin looks pretty good for a used, 78 years old coin. First I thought it must be a gold coin ! Very Happy
I guess this coin values $5-$10 USD. I found online another Kopek coin around those times but this one is silver. E-bay has this coin for $29 + shipping.

watersoul
dude_xyx wrote:
That coin looks pretty good for a used, 78 years old coin. First I thought it must be a gold coin ! Very Happy

Yeah, apologies for the colour, that's down to the lighting in my living room, guess I should have played with the white balance a bit first! Laughing
Cliffer
i have some old coins and historical paper notes. i hope they can be increased in value...haha..
dude_xyx
Cliffer wrote:
i have some old coins and historical paper notes. i hope they can be increased in value...haha..

old coins and bank note value increase with time just like old stamps. Could you tell us what coins and bank notes you have ? Photos would be great too.
Cliffer
dude_xyx wrote:
Cliffer wrote:

old coins and bank note value increase with time just like old stamps. Could you tell us what coins and bank notes you have ? Photos would be great too.

oh,they are chinese coins and notes,but not too long history, i have posted on google,here is the site http://picasaweb.google.com/cinegodpic/Money#

hope their value increased!!
dude_xyx
Thanks for coin photos Cliffer. That coin with hole looks pretty old. I hope too those will gain more value with time. Do you have coins only from China ?
goutha
I collect 1 cents. US and Canadian. I have alot of boubles and can trade if you are interested. I still missing rare canadian dates and alot of US ones.

Canada missing :

1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869
1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879
1880 1883 1885 1889 1891 1892 1894 1898 1922 1923
1924 1925

US Missing :

1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889
1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899
1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909
1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919
1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929
1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939
1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949
1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959
1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969
1995 2004 2009
dude_xyx
Goutha, I don't have 1 cents Canadian and US coins. I might have few but those are way too new . But This topic will get visits from search engines and you might get lucky if another 1 cent coin collect spot this. Smile Any photos of your collection ? Specially of those oldest 1 cent coins you have.
goutha
dude_xyx wrote:
Goutha, I don't have 1 cents Canadian and US coins. I might have few but those are way too new . But This topic will get visits from search engines and you might get lucky if another 1 cent coin collect spot this. Smile Any photos of your collection ? Specially of those oldest 1 cent coins you have.

I'll post in the next days some pics of my oldest coins. Thanks dude_xyx
dude_xyx
Looking forword to see photos of your coins. Also I have few old coins I bought which I should take photos and post Hope I will able to do it tomorrow.
Cliffer
dude_xyx wrote:
Thanks for coin photos Cliffer. That coin with hole looks pretty old. I hope too those will gain more value with time. Do you have coins only from China ?

i have coins most of from china. only a few from Germany,but i don't have photo in my current house.
adri
I've got some old coins too, although I don't collect them. Smile
Most coins are from the second world war period, with mostly coins from Germany (Deutsche Mark), France ('Republique FranÁaise - Libertť, ťgalitť et Fraternitť (1947), ťtat franÁais - travail famille patrie (1944)), Italy (Nothing special some coins from the seventies,...), England (nothing worth mentioning), Belgium (Yeah, I live in Belgium so nothing special here to, just some very coins Razz ) and one weird coin with a hole in it. It's probably nothing worth, but it looks very old (discoloration (green and brown), most of the relief isn't there anymore,...) and the only thing I can read is '25 C^es'

EDIT: I found the coin...

Just a coin from 1927 so indeed nothing special. Razz My coin is much worse condition though. Smile

adri
dude_xyx
Hmm an interesting coin. I have seen Chinese and Indian coins with holes but not from Europe. What marks this coin has on other side ? So do you have coins which were minted in Nazi Germany at world war 2 ? Maybe those might worth something I think.
kitsrock
I used to collect different Canadian coins. It wasn't anything too serious, but it was just something small I could collect without becoming too obsessed with.

At one point, I amassed some 70 dollars worth (face value) in quarters and other small changes, but I've pretty much stopped now.

But those old coins are definitely interesting. I might consider starting my coin collection up again, and with more interesting to boot.
adri
dude_xyx wrote:
Hmm an interesting coin. I have seen Chinese and Indian coins with holes but not from Europe. What marks this coin has on other side ? So do you have coins which were minted in Nazi Germany at world war 2 ? Maybe those might worth something I think.

Well I found that picture online (my coin is in much worse condition) and this is the other side of the coin:

Although my coin is dated in 1925 if I read it correctly (you can barely see anything, all of the relief is gone).

I just in my coin collection for some coins dating back to the second world war but except for some french coins (1943, 1944) I couldn't find any coins. I do have some German coins but most of those coins were made in 1950 and 1970 (I do have 2 coins from 1949). So no coins from Nazi-Germany. Sad

adri
dude_xyx
Well Yesterday I bought another coin. It's a 1 rupee Silver coin which was minted in 1835 . Coin is in good shape and did cost me $20. Seller said these are rare but can be bought for cheaper in India. I ll take photos and post tomorrow.

Ahh also I just found a bank note one of my friends sent me. It's from Germany and year is 1944.
nigam
i was so nice to see a topic on this kind. i am fascinated of coins and stamps before. i used to collect coins and paper bills all over the country but unfortunately, it was all gone when somebody robbed my bag.
dude_xyx
@ Nigam : Why you didn't start it again ?

Here is the 1835 1 rupee Indian silver coin I bought last week. This is not my coin I found this photo online. Mine's quality is little less than this coins.

yagnyavalkya
Coin collecting is a nice hobby
nigam
i'll probably check grandmothers house...i have heard from my mom that she has lots of coins....im so excited Smile i don't know yet if it has still a value or not but anyways, it doesn't matter now as long as i can find it from there Smile
dude_xyx
Let us know if you find any coins there. It's always feel great to discover old coins and things like those rather than buying them.
tomisme
Well, I pretty much prefer a bank note. Wink
dude_xyx
I do collect old bank notes too. but those are lot more expensive. I found one bank note from around 1944 which was printed in Nazi Germany !

Also I bought a tiny silver coin !
GoldenEagle
I was metal detecting near my apartment and found a 1798 Draped Bust large cent. It was pretty heavily corroded. I'm not sure of the rules on this site since I just joined, but if you're allowed to post links or even images with links I'd be glad to share it. It doesn't really make sense unless you get a pristine one next to it!

I was digging around in the muck when I signal that was very similar to a quarter. I don't really like digging where it's wet because it's hard to do and the coins are usually pretty damaged. Nonetheless. I gave it a go and ripped out a green coin. I was pretty sure it was a large cent, but when I got inside I was able to get a date off of it: 1798. Cool
dude_xyx
Aww that's cool. I would really like to have metal director my self but there are too many rules and restrictions about those in my country.

You can post images without a problem. There aren't any rules against it here (as far as I know). Just upload it one of those image hosting sites and then post the link in Img tags.
GoldenEagle
This is the coin I found. It's pretty worn, but you can read the date off of it. Click for larger image.

Here's the story from my blog:

Quote:
Now the weather has been getting a little better the winter snow was finally melting away and I had my first chance to start metal detecting. Today I was metal detecting near my apartment when I hit what my detector told me was quarter 6-8" down in a very muddy and sloshy area next to the woods. When I finally dug my way through the thick mud, I found this coin. It's about the size of a quarter but I could definitely tell it was copper. I noticed it was green, but at first thought it was a token since I'm never lucky enough to get old coins. Here's the picture below and a great condition one next to it so you can see what it used to look like. Looks like years of mud took their toll on this beautiful coin. Seeing as my earliest coin to date was a 1944, this is by far the earliest coin I have ever dug! Time to start a large cent collection for Early Copper!
DexMark
I have my own collection of coins. I also like to collect books.
GoldenEagle
I'm using my hosting account to launch an online trade forum for coins, collectibles and antiques. The coolest part of the site is that it has a built in feedback system (much like ebay) to keep track of honest traders.

I'm still working out on getting the logo finalized, but I could use some additional BETA testers to help try out the posting on the site. If you're interested, let me know and I can send you the frihost link.

Hopefully I can accumulate enough coins to get a .com domain by the end of August!

Edit: It's up and running pre - .com domain! The Treasure Trade

Now I just need more coins (ba dumpa!) to get the .com domain.
dude_xyx
That coin is totally ruined unfortunately. But yet has a sentimental value since you find it by your self. I wonder how long it has been buried under earth. Probably over 200 years ?

Your project sounds interesting. I ll join your site. Smile
GoldenEagle
dude_xyx wrote:
That coin is totally ruined unfortunately. But yet has a sentimental value since you find it by your self. I wonder how long it has been buried under earth. Probably over 200 years ?

Your project sounds interesting. I ll join your site. Smile

The coin is definitely ruined, but you'd be surprised at how many people want it. Which is cooler : A coin that has been sitting in someone's collection for 150 years (I guess that's cool) or one that has been sitting in mud near the edge of the woods, lost to human civilization for over 200 years? No contest.
mukesh
dude_xyx wrote:

dude_xyx really its good hobby to collect oldest coins but i am not like you but i have some oldest coins which my grandfather of father which times they used. Very Happy
dude_xyx
mukesh wrote:

dude_xyx really its good hobby to collect oldest coins but i am not like you but i have some oldest coins which my grandfather of father which times they used. Very Happy

Sounds great. How about photos of those coins you have ? Smile
GoldenEagle
I found a silver quarter while coin roll hunting today.

I also found 3 (!) United Arab Emirates coins the exact same size as a quarter. They didn't look like they had a date on them, which is sort of weird for a coin made in the modern era.
syj824
i am not,I like collect money Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Tesa323
I stoped collecting coins. I treid collecting them but were really hhsrd to find original real ones.
yagnyavalkya
Coin collection is an interesting hobby
dude_xyx
Tesa323 wrote:
I stoped collecting coins. I treid collecting them but were really hhsrd to find original real ones.

Where do you live ? Normally it is pretty easy to find all kinds of coins also old coins. You can even buy old coins for cheap prices. I think finding coins is the fun part of coin collecting hobby. So even use metal detectors and comb beaches are dried river beds hunting for old lost coins.
congra
i have the habbit to collect coins. for this,i specially buy a coin piggy-bank .until now ,i have collect about 1,000 yuan .
dude_xyx
What do you mean by buy a coin piggy-bank ? Smile
alli2000
hey..
its my sister hobbies, and he did gain a lots of money from trading it.
dude_xyx
alli2000 wrote:
hey..
its my sister hobbies, and he did gain a lots of money from trading it.

You don't like collecting coins ? You mean she sell those coins or exchange coins with others ?

I want to try metal detection. I was told it's a fun way to find old lost coins.
Radar
Looking to see if you can find specific years on coins is about as far as I'll go.
mochipie
My coin collection is not quite awesome, but I currently have all of the US state quarters.

Yeah, not very exciting compared to all this old and foreign coins. :O I'd be amazing to go around the world collecting coins as opposed to buying them online... though I think my Economics teacher does that. Smile
Josso
I do have a little stash of interesting coins. Looking through it now. Well it's interesting to me anyway I doubt anything in here is rare. Gathered them from here and there since I was a kid.

A 1947 1 franc, some austrian currency, some greek, 58 two shilling, 1906 one shilling, napoleon the third coin (mid 19th~ date is worn), various other 50s coinage, some huge commemorative thing which I have to ID
nepalstar
Flakky wrote:

Well I collected almost 80 Frihost Coins...!
nepalstar
dude_xyx wrote:

It's really surprise me that you have 1000-800 years old coins... wow..! it's sound amazing...! Please upload photos with details of the old coins which you have...! (I mean the country and the value and material to make that coin) and don't forget to mention the oldest coin you have.. Personally, I really wanna see....!
dude_xyx
I'll try to get more photos of my coins. I can find local copper coins which are 800-1000 without a problem and also for cheap. But it's hard to find silver coins and gold coins. Those are expensive and Good condition coins are very hard to find. I think the oldest silver coin I have is an small coin which is around 500 years old.

You can find 1000+ years old Roman coins in Ebay. You can buy Damaged coins for cheap still I think those are worth to have or add to your collection.
Josso
dude_xyx wrote:
I heard in some European countries still they find over 1500 years old Roman Coins often.

I had a little box full of roman coins but I lost them years ago.
johans
me, i collect coins in frihost. This will be used for next year renewal on my given domain name from frihost..

Very Happy

But, my fathers buy and sell old coins because it has a high volume quantity of silver and it has a good money equivalent in the market.
dude_xyx
Josso wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:
I heard in some European countries still they find over 1500 years old Roman Coins often.

I had a little box full of roman coins but I lost them years ago.

Wow ! old Roman coins ? Too bad you lost those. Confused
ChrisV
I collect Nelson Mandela Coins.
I hope some day they will be something worth.

Do any of you think they will be worth something?
abhizz
I had lot of old coins, but when grew i hate that collection
dude_xyx
These days I'm trying to find a local gold coin to buy. Those are very expensive so I want to find one which is real and affordable.
fuzzkaizer
i have a bunch of some old coins lying around here, some of them come from the time before there came the Äuro - so no mor Schilling, Deutschmark, Lire, Franc, Pesetas etc, and also the coins from the new members of the EU will disappear. It's not that i'm against the euro, but somehow it's a shame to see this manifold disappear. Now the children use those coins to play with. i have also a bundle of bank notes of different countries, and i like them for their funny layouts - there are always lots of things to discover on an exotic paper money. last year a friend brought me a package of 'heaven and hell dollars' from china, where they burn this special 'money' at funerals, as a gift for the difunded, to help them on their way to the other side, he told me. very strange and exotic, indeed! maybe coins are not so rich in graphics, but the metal-materiality makes them the more special.
what's it all about those frihost coins, btw? how come there are some really frihost-rich people here? i can hardly keep my points around zero! that's like in real life, i guess!
TheLimey
I do not collect coins i Just inherited a coin collection from my family. I really wish I knew more about them. Mostly UK coins but there is also many coins from all over the world in there also.
dude_xyx
TheLimey wrote:
I do not collect coins i Just inherited a coin collection from my family. I really wish I knew more about them. Mostly UK coins but there is also many coins from all over the world in there also.

That's cool. Maybe you can learn about coin collecting a bit do you can understand about this cool hobby. Also it can be very rewording one too.
dharmin
i have a decent collection of coins, but none of them are rare or very old. i dont buy any coins, all have been collected by me, friends or family in our travels.
i think my oldest coin must be from 1920s.

follow this link to see some images of my coins: http://dharmindesai.com/numismatics

BTW: anyone know what a 10 pfennig german 1950 coin is worth?
dude_xyx
I'm planing to buy some first day covers. I collect these and some of these first day covers are pretty hard to find. These days im hunting for a local first day cover which was about Whales. Very hard to find and probably expensive too. I bought one, years ago when I had no idea how valuable it is. Just bought it because it's beautiful and first time I saw it.
Tuvitor
I had a really big coin collection probably worth tens of thousands (old 1800's silver dollars, and some real rares in there) when I was a kid, but some very bad stuff happened in my life around 1987, and ... well ... they were stolen. Sad

Never really had the desire to pick it up again after that.
dude_xyx
Oh that sux. But we have to start from where we stopped or fallen. I lost some of my stamps too those high value once. But then I started it all over again and now trying to make a better connection that I ever had.
nepalstar
I don't have this coin collection habit but I like to see old coins and developments trends of coins. Till now I haven't got chance to see the old coin like 800-1000 years old..! This is quite interesting hobby. If anybody have old coins if possible plz upload the picture of that coins, I will be really thankful to you..
dude_xyx
I think I uploaded a photo of 900 years old coin I have. Old coins are not hard to find and also sometimes you can find for cheap too. If you check E-bay you can find over 1000 years old Romain coins for sale. Sometimes less than 50$. These coins are pretty badly damaged but still those are 1000 years old. You can find good quality coins too.
Radar
The only 'collecting' I've ever done is looking through coins that I get to see if I can find one minted this year.

It can take a while, especially depending on where in the year you are.
darthrevan
Flakky wrote:

LOL this is what I was thinking, about the only coins I am collecting, though to be real. I do have a few Canada coins, Mexico coins and not sure what others. It isn't a lot, it is just a small amount I have came across.
LxGoodies
Yeah coins.. I've been collecting coins for 35 years now. Nowadays every

- Dutch coin until 1814
- Jetons of the 80 years war
- All medieval coins
- Byzantine coins
- Kushan
- Roman coins
- Celt coins

Some of my favorite precious dear coins

Augustus, Denarius (Dutch find)

More of this period: http://www.lxgoodies.frihost.org/Muntenboek/subJulClaudE.html

Graaf Eduard van Arnhem, Groot

This medieval coin was found under the bridge over the river Waal, in Nijmegen. Nowadays it is worthless for most high-brow collectors, in this condition that is. Nevertheless it seems to me that recovering three seperate pieces of one and the same object after 700 years is sheer luck. Also this coin is -very- rare. Dutch large silver and gold pieces originating from these times were infact money for the lucky few. The man in the street was payed on a day-to-day basis, with small silver (Pennies)

Henry VI (1422-1466) Calais (Groat)

Henry VI of the house of York put little effort in keeping the Norman territories occupied. He married the Countess of Anjou, trading large parts of Normandy. The piece that Shakespeare wrote describes this king as a weak and snob youth, easily manipulated by stronger rivals like the Count of Gloucester.

According to the reverse, this coin was struck in VILLA CALISIE (Calais)

More medieval: http://www.lxgoodies.frihost.org/Muntenboek/subMedievE.html

Stater Durotriges

The Durotriges were numbered among the few tribes of Celtic Britain which issued coinage, although unfortunately, none of the coins associated with the tribe bear inscriptions. Sadly, this means that we are left with no record of the names of any of the Dumnonian nobility.

The most important industry here, was the extraction and working of the Kimmeridge shale outcrops on the south coast, perhaps administrated from Wareham. Several small potteries were dotted around Poole Harbour, and another at Bager, near Sturminster Newton.

Villas are rare but there is a notable example at Frampton.
The first classical mention of the name for the Dorchester Roman settlement occurs in the Antonine Itinerary of the late second century. In Iter XV the station Durononvaria is listed 8 miles from Vindocladia (Badbury, Dorset) and 36 miles from Muridunum (nr. Honiton, Devon).

More Celt: http://www.lxgoodies.frihost.org/Muntenboek/subKeltenE.html

I've just uploaded all: http://www.lxgoodies.frihost.org/Muntenboek/mb1.html

The left column is English, the right one Dutch. Take the Dutch and translate for the most recent things. For some coins, a small is shown. This gives a popup with a larger picture.

Smile Lx
Josso
Those are very awesome. What's the most you ever spent on a coin?

Celt one is my favourite
LxGoodies
Hmm that is difficult to tell actually

In the Netherlands we had a money reform in 2002 introducing the Euro. I was collecting well before that time also.

The most expensive one would be Nero I guess (ca 200 Euro now)

Some coins I cannot estimate at all, because they are unique,

Antoninianus imitation, German-Romano

The Sol-reverse on this coin can be associated with Tetricus. The portrait is.. very peculiar for Europe. Coins like these were struck by tribes living near the Roman border. They got Romanized, that meant they adopted the Roman coin system and trade. Now when Rome's power deceased in the 3trd century, these regions became poorer and there were no "official" Roman coins anymore. The locals started to strike inferior money (bad silver) that had the emperors portrait. Only then, they were acceptable coins..

Lx
deanhills
Pretty amazing those! Great hobby to have too.
dude_xyx
That's a great Stamp collection you have LxGoodies ! I wish your site is in English ! Do you were doing metal detecting a lot ?

I should take photos of my coins too but mine are mostly between 1700 - 1950 .

Do you have any gold coins too ?
LxGoodies
I don't collect stamps anymnore I collect coins only, before 1800

Some of my page IS in English actually, click the left column

http://www.lxgoodies.frihost.org/Muntenboek/mb1.html

.. but the Dutch side has much more text !

And gold (that is old gold coins) VERY expensive, alas ! yes, I've got ONE gold coin now Smile Smile

This is a gold guilder struck by Arnoud VII of Gelderland, ca 1340.

It is not on my page yet because I bought it last week. Because I quit smoking Arrow

Lx
dude_xyx
Aww that's a nice gold coin ! How much did it cost you ?

I don't have gold coins yet. Only have one small silver coin which is around 500 years old. Every small Indian silver coin.

Ah I do have some copper VOC coins. From 1700's. Smile
LxGoodies
Hmm 200.. and India.. I don't collect the VOC (translate: United Colonialist Pigs Razz hehe)

but I really like the Kushan coins, they date from the 1st to 3rd century, there was a large independent India at the time.. the bronze coins are often found in India and Pakistan, not rare, this is one of them I have, I've found it on e-bay 2005

Read all about it.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kushan_Empire

Smile Lx
benny7770
dude_xyx wrote:

I have some old english pennies my grand dad gave to me , but unfortunately they are not the rare ones, also my granddad gave me some WW2 hand mcasted bronze card Dice. Very cool.
dude_xyx
That's a nice gold coin ,LxGoodies. I wonder how much does it worth since you mentioned it's an old and expensive coin. Also in very good condition too.

Kushan coin is a beauty too. A coin which is more than 1600 years old means a lot. You can find some nice offers like that in ebay time to time. I hesitate to buy coins and stamps from ebay because I know couple of guys who ended up with fakes.
LxGoodies
dude_xyx wrote:
That's a nice gold coin ,LxGoodies. I wonder how much does it worth since you mentioned it's an old and expensive coin. Also in very good condition too.

Mwa Google for it Wink

Quote:
Kushan coin is a beauty too. A coin which is more than 1600 years old means a lot. You can find some nice offers like that in ebay time to time. I hesitate to buy coins and stamps from ebay because I know couple of guys who ended up with fakes.

Yep, I know, but I also knew the guy who gave the tip to me (he sent me a mail "click there") so I trusted it. btw these coins are not so expensive, so the false ones are for tourists and can be easily recognized.

Lx
dude_xyx
Ah you had someone advising you. Problem with buying online is you have no idea what you get till you receive it. Sometimes it can be fake or damaged than they have in photos. If it's cheap then returning wouldn't be cost effective either.
bluepig83
I'm not much of a professional coin collector, so nothing antique or rare, but I did start collecting quarters when the US Treasury began minting one for each state. I don't know where that collection is anymore though - I doubt I have all 50.
LxGoodies
Success with your collection bluepig.. They look really beautiful designs,

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/50sq_program/?action=designs_50sq

.. see that you find them back, I would say.. check if you need any to complete the bunch.. now they are still affordable, but in 50-60 years it may become very interesting for collectors, in terms of value, as long as your set is complete that is !

Maybe buy yourself a metal detector and go find the older ones.. have you ever seen this quarter ?

That one will set you back.. only $ 67,240.00 Cool

http://www.parkavenumis.com/cgi-bin/inventory/itemlist.pl?category=Quarters

Lx
enilsoncba
The easiest way to collecting the Brazilian currency is the period that is the most accessible of the "Republic." Nothing is easier than you ask relatives, friends and so on. everyone has those pennies saved on some cans boxes, drawers, or even collect those coins are in circulation. As well as those to be issued hereafter. Choosing one of each type, choosing, too, the most beautiful on the condition and possibly without or with very little movement.
The coin to appear in a good collection should be much more perfect, the more common. Common currency that is easy to find, that everyone has, although not all currencies, even though common, easily found in perfect condition, especially coins that are no longer in circulation that were demonetised. It is important to tell at the outset that you should never clean the coins with the intention of making them beautiful, glossy, bright etc. to clean pans or silverware. If you can not find nice coins, leave in the collection that you have, even in the state where they are awaiting their turn to be replaced by a better one.
dude_xyx
I have seen some people auctioning collections of US quarters at eBay time to time.

Funny thing about coin collecting is sometimes coins which are very older are cheaper than recent once. for example the coin LxGoodies posted is priced as $67,000 which you can find a 2000 years old Romain coin for around 500$ (one in good condition). Seems age as nothing to do with the price of a collectable coin.
Radar
I think it says something interesting about us that we tend to value the ones with mistakes. I mean, I understand why, essentially because they're rare, but it's just... unusual, that the fact that they have mistakes somehow doubles back on itself and become more valuable instead of less.
ist-olga
I have russian coins, interesting to check how much I can get for them in ebay. Also have paper money from that times.
LxGoodies
Radar wrote:
I think it says something interesting about us that we tend to value the ones with mistakes. I mean, I understand why, essentially because they're rare, but it's just... unusual, that the fact that they have mistakes somehow doubles back on itself and become more valuable instead of less.

Indeed. Collector would say "mistakes are rarer, so they are worth more". But if you look at it, these erroroneous pieces do not meet requirements. They should in fact be worth far less.. I don't know the explanation for this, but appearently it does not work like that. They are worth more. Mistakes are always interesting, especially if other people have made them ? Very Happy

Lx
dude_xyx
Yeah Me too a fan of old coins than error coins. It's fascinating to think how many people who had those must be long gone and How these coins could have passed one person to another.
LxGoodies
Ok let's show a Roman double strike. An old coin.. with an error.

Below TWO coins of Gallienus (254-268AD) show a panther on the reverse and text LIBERO CONS.

The lower one is my version, only half a panther is seen.. and LIBERO twice.

This is a very rare example of a 180 degrees double strike Cool Probably, the coin was struck twice, that is by 2 different people Very Happy

Smile Lx
dude_xyx
Wow that's something interesting. Wonder what that had happened !
fuzzkaizer
i stumbled over a huge banknote collection someone has online, which takes you to countries all over the world with very nice scans of the notes,
then i saw that he also has a huge coin-collection online... surprise...
maybe that could be interesting for someone in this thread? i hope i hasen't already been mentioned:
http://www.abcoins.co.uk/
zaxacongrejo
i have a lot of roman coins some have value others donít they dont just have value because they are old it depends of the imperator they have been done for
i also have thousands of coins 50% of the 100% new never been touched by any human

Quote:

Thatís not an error at the time they didnít have the technologies we have today that kind of situation was very usual not in this days in this days a coin with that error can have huge value
I donít know how many coins I have not even care about it since my collection has begun at 300 or more years ago and Iím just one more , this collection will soon be from my son and them from my grandson or granddaughter and on and one till the end of the coins Smile
LxGoodies
zaxacongrejo wrote:
i have a lot of roman coins some have value others donít they dont just have value because they are old it depends of the imperator they have been done for
i also have thousands of coins 50% of the 100% new never been touched by any human

Quote:

Thatís not an error at the time they didnít have the technologies we have today that kind of situation was very usual not in this days in this days a coin with that error can have huge value
I donít know how many coins I have not even care about it since my collection has begun at 300 or more years ago and Iím just one more , this collection will soon be from my son and them from my grandson or granddaughter and on and one till the end of the coins Smile

That's great to have such a very old collection, zaxacongrejo... indeed people already collect Roman coins since the 16th century.. they are inherited and inherited and again inherited.. but it is very rare that these old collections are still completely intact. Do you stll have the original wooden coin-cabinet also ? Can you show some coins ?

Quote:
Thatís not an error at the time

Well, at the time the Romans knew perfectly well how to strike a good coin. In fact this was really an error. On the coin forums we talked about this piece and we now reconstruct that error as follows: normally, a coin is only struck once. in this case, the coin was struck twice. And between the two strikes, the coin hopped.. and turned 180 degrees. Even old Romans can make mistakes !

Lx
andro_king
I have few Indian coins which my granny gave me.I have no interest in collecting coins , but still i have those coins as his remembarence . He just said "These coins are tresure of our family,its priceless,have it safe ".
Anyway now i am collecting frihost coins to register my domain Smile .
zaxacongrejo
hi i have everything the collection is meant to be a collection not just an hobby
so almost everything is untouched letís say I have very common 1 euro coins that I brought I donít remember the exact price but letís say for 10 euros, you know what Iím talking, Im referring to buy them from the ďfactoryĒ like collectors do with papers boxes certificates etc etc
About the roman coins my father itís very well known archeologist in Europe and USA
A kind of doctor Zahi Hawass if you know him
So I grow inside that subject rocks, coins, technologies, habits, etc roman coins because Iím Portuguese are very common around here ,the error hey if you say so I believe you Iím not an archeologist myself just like the subject
Today I will see my father and I will ask him about it, you know they had strange habits in what concerns to coins the use to cut and split them ,
About showing the collection or specific coins I canít because of security concerns and also because is not at my home, but at the bank, not sure if I can photograph inside a bank safe
Or even if it is recommended, I also have a lot of paper money shares etc.
Quote:
but it is very rare that these old collections are still completely intact

We arenít looking for profits loll in 300 years we never sold a coin, or even care with how much we will earn thatís the exact problem, why you say so, because they only see money ,but lets open exception here to war zones , in those cases most of the time they disappear forever.
Letís share something with you, one of the most valuable coins a I have I brought it kind of for accident, I was In a yard sale an old lady had a box full of coins 99% trash but because it was an event a yard sale I had to buy something I brought that box, when I went home just I case I start to check them and there it was at the beginning we all thought this can only be a fake but guess what it wasnít ,anyway it wasnít a profit for me ,because archeologist like my father they donít really care with money so once he get the needed confirmations evaluations the coin has been given to a museum
But I also have coins that donít have value but I love them I remember a German coin I have
From 1933 I love that coin because of what she went through I wish she could talk
dude_xyx
@ LxGoodies,

Do you have any World war 2 time, Third Reich Coin ? With those Eagle an stuff. I found couple of band notes of those times and no coins.
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
Do you have any World war 2 time, Third Reich Coin ? With those Eagle an stuff. I found couple of band notes of those times and no coins

Yes i do, they are hard to find because they have been made in a special metal of war times (which i donít know the name) and i belive dont last much, i will also ask my father about that. They almost donít have any waste they feel like plastic coins a tip to find those coins is to buy old cloths and furniture from Poland
Nice yard sales there for Reich stuff
zaxacongrejo
Hello Iím back with a hand full of news ok letís start for the roman coins
So first why do they used to split them?
Because when encomie went down and the money value also went down the only way they had to adjust.at the time was by split or just cut a little bit from specific coins
Splitting coins was also used for changes in trades
Now I have the bad notice for you unfortunately I was right
Yes the technic they used to use at the time was completely different from nowadays so that kind of error at the axis was quiet common 2 different errors from that time
Related to axis. Them I will try to explain more or less the differences between techniques
1st error is on the vertical axis the usual letís say the coin as 2 sides with the same head
In this cases we will observe 1 head up other down, but now you thinking thatís not an error thatís an well done coin ,in nowadays, yes, at the time no. you see they didnít use machines but hammers and casts 1 cast just , opposite to the 6/8 of nowadays
Second error it was at the horizontal axis because they were doing coins with 1 cast and 1 hammer
How do they do it? easy they build the negative cast first with a strong metal ,then they drop hot metal there wait for the cold and them with a hammer and a pricket they print the second face, so what use to happen was that they didnít really care ,or even for accident ,or no time, lots of reasons, when they it the pricker to print the second face the first cast was not well centered so there the ďerrorĒ
We now can see a lot of horizontal axis errors like that so when we speak of roman coins doesnít matter if they are from imperator a or b there are some exceptions (German roman lands) but not generalized
It doesnít matter the size or the error what really matters is the detail of the coin.
Now the Reich coins my father is not sure because he canít have the coin now to be sure but his guess is that they had been made with nickel
Now an adviser to the readers
PLEASE DONíT USE METAL DETECTORS YOU ARE DESTROING HISTORY
Let that to professionals- not metal detector processionals lol
LxGoodies
dude_xyx wrote:
@ LxGoodies,

Do you have any World war 2 time, Third Reich Coin ? With those Eagle an stuff. I found couple of band notes of those times and no coins.

Naa I don't collect these actually.. go Google for them, you will find plenty. They are not rare (cheap for collectors). There are millions of these Reichspfennige.. When a country makes war, inflation comes in.. so it needs a lot of coins. I personally don't think these are interesting (at all).. but of course, if you would like to collect them, feel free, they are not expensive and can be bought from many coin sellers/resellers.

zaxacongrejo wrote:
It doesnít matter the size or the error what really matters is the detail of the coin

Mostly you are right.. but errors are collected as special items, they are quite rare and expensive.

Just found another Roman double strike online which carries very much detail too.. maybe this one is more clear ! Alas, the coin is NOT in my collection..

Valens, Siliqua

Courtesy picture from ForumAncientCoins

Lx
LxGoodies
(.. double post, this may be removed)
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
but errors are collected as special items, they are quite rare and expensive.

You are right but you know, the market I know is the official market from coins factories
Honestly is the first time I realize that there are coins on the internet loll I never search about it before.
Coins we have, had come from years of colleting, findings, expeditions all over the world, family, digging in houses, etc. (not important material we just keep what museums donít want)
But this can sometimes be important stuff for collectors
You know I had a lot of bad experiences with silver coins let me try to explain why. Sometimes, we find them I so bad shape we canít even touch them because they will become dust.
Or we find them under and over water letís say 100 all glued together
We take picks and thatís all. Looking to the right face of the coin a immediately recognize the figure I have coins with that figure
LxGoodies
zaxacongrejo wrote:
Honestly is the first time I realize that there are coins on the internet loll I never search about it before.

You'd be surprised ! There are millions of Roman coins on line. Sometimes I suspect there are more Roman coin potographs than actual Roman coins ( Twisted Evil )

I'll give you some of my favorite "stamping grounds" for Roman coins, these are reference links..

www.acsearch.info
www.wildwinds.com/coins
www.vcoins.com
www.beastcoins.com
www.romancoins.info
www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/
www.finds.org.uk/romancoins
www.ancients.info/
www.dirtyoldcoins.com/
www.cngcoins.com/

and there are more.. actually my hobby is to attribute these coins, that is when these coins are found here in the Netherlands, with a metal detector, some people put them on my forum, I explain, that is: the date (years), the emperor, the reverse type, the reference.. Above list are actually my reference books. I don't need anything on paper, the internet has all (or virtually all..) Roman coins on line. And paper books about Roman coins are expensive.

Smile Lx
twotrophy
Roman coins are important historic artifacts that should be well taken care of. I wonder what does the picture on the coin mean? These coins should be studied well to find out more about the Ancient Roman Empire. I wonder how did the Ancient Romans make coins without technology. What about collecting paper notes from other countries as well?
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
I wonder how did the Ancient Romans make coins without technology.

They used hammers and casts, 1 cast just and an hammer and a pricket
they build the negative cast first with a strong metal ,then they drop hot metal there wait for the cold and them with a hammer and a pricket they print the second face
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
I'll give you some of my favorite "stamping grounds" for Roman coins, these are reference links..

Loll thanks lots of them I just searched ebay also ,even in eBay lots of them
Quote:
with a metal detector, some people put them on my forum

Thatís the problem isnít it illegal there? I believe when people do that they all have the best intentions ,they all believe they are saving history etc. ,but they are wrong they are destroying history, and that historyís is not their property, it is (country/state/world) property it depends on we just find .
All artifacts have historical value when in their contest, so when someone for an hobby removes them from that contest he or she or both lol are destroying history, just imagine that one of those coins was the last trace from something much bigger that can only be revealed with an archeological expedition costing thousands of dollars when someone removes the coin
That trace is lost Iím not saying that will never be found again but it can take more 100 years till someone spot it again

Here is an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNCLEANED-ROMAN-COINS-FROM-THE-MIDDLE-EAST-AND-ISRAEL-10-PER-bidding-buying-/370697822630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564f4fe1a6
dude_xyx
Yeah I think it's illegal to use metal detectors in many countries. Also doing any kind of diggings in known or unknown archeological sites is forbidden too. But you can do it in beach and river bends. I have seen couple of videos how to make simple metal detector using a calculator and 2 DVDs and earphone set. Worth trying.

I have seen so many auctions of uncleaned Roman coins at E-bay. Most are very badly damaged probably doesn't worth at all. Like in image below,

zaxacongrejo
Quote:
Yeah I think it's illegal to use metal detectors in many countries. Also doing any kind of diggings in known or unknown archeological sites is forbidden too.

And it must be changing it in more actual words when doing so the person/s involved are deleting our species backup
Quote:
I have seen couple of videos how to make simple metal detector using a calculator and 2 DVDs and earphone set. Worth trying.

Haha send me the link if you still have it , I believe itís a good way to get rid of old stuff

Quote:
I have seen so many auctions of uncleaned Roman coins at E-bay. Most are very badly damaged probably doesn't worth at all. Like in image below,

Cleaning a coin also implies abrasion in on way or another so you will probably end up with a round piece of metal
Anyway I just noticed eBay now I believe mostly are invaluable coins but in eBay you never know because anyone can use it and you have always the problem of trafficking, so you can be purchasing stolen coins, an find yourself inside some international organized crime network, I saw once a notice that Taliban use to stole graves to sell artifacts and the support war
LxGoodies
Hmm a lot of Roman coins on e-bay are fakes

Here's a source for fakes

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/index.php

If you ever buy or wanna buy a coin on e-bay check that list first.

Else you may not be able to sell your coin again.

A good Roman coin is a sound investment, you can keep it for your pension. And it is beautiful to look at. Its history, the emperor behind it..

These coins on e-bay that are green and uncleaned.. like the above.. look out, such coins are mostly genuine but if they cannot be attributed, it may be 17th-18th century and NOT Roman... difficult to assign value anyway. Of course, if you know something about coins, you can go digging for treasures on e-bay ! trying to clean them.. but alas, most times "cleaning" doesn't do a good coin. It's just "cleaning".

And if you find hem with a metal detector.. don't put them on some online cowboy auction like e-bay. If you find them, handle them with care.. inform the archeologist of your municipality. Thats the Dutch rule.. Belguim.. French and English.. for German and Italian, you have to have a location license. Coin finds can also be attributed on line.

If people want to go out with an MD and they have permission of the land owner.. no problem. You also remove the other (nasty) metal objects, like military stuff.. land owners like that, because they want to put their crop there.. and dont wanna get machines damaged, etc. So it's a win win arrangement. Meanwhile, local archeologists await eagerly for people that put their find up for attribution. Coffee is served..

Lx
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
If people want to go out with an MD and they have permission of the land owner.. no problem. You also remove the other (nasty) metal objects, like military stuff.. land owners like that, because they want to put their crop there.. and donít wanna get machines damaged, etc. So it's a win win arrangement. Meanwhile, local archeologists await eagerly for people that put their find up for attribution. Coffee is served..

Thatís not so simple as just have permission of the land owner lol right please have a look
Quote:

The Law Regarding Metal Detecting
Outside the United Kingdom (including Jersey)

Amended November 2008
This report has been written to provide available information on the law in other
countries. Every effort has been made to verify its correctness but anyone wishing
to metal detect overseas should satisfy themselves of the legal situation at the
time they intend traveling.

CONTENTS

Austria, BELGIUM, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany,
Greece , Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Israel,
Italy, Jersey. Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands,
Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey

AUSTRIA

The use of metal detectors in archaeological contexts on land or underwater requires an excavation permission issued by the Austrian Federal Monument Authority (Bundesdenkmalamt) because such use is considered to constitute an `excavation for the purpose of discovery and exploration of movable and immovable monuments' in the sense of Section II of the Austrian law for the protection of monuments. Such permissions are in general not issued to private individuals.

BELGIUM

Information still awaited.

CYPRUS

Under Section 2(1) (a) of the antiquities law of 1935 (amended 1973) any object
whether movable or part of immovable property is protected by law.

Section 14 (1) states that ` no person shall excavate or cause excavations to be made whether on his own land or elsewhere for the purpose of discovering antiquities without a license'.

Although not specifically mentioning metal detectors, section 14(1) implicitly rules
them out, nor can a landowner legally give permission for a search to be carried
out if it results in excavation.

DENMARK

Restrictions

There are a number of historical and archaeological sites where it is totally
forbidden to use a metal detector.

On public land it is the local community that decides whether metal detectors may be used. It is estimated that approximately 50% of the public land is closed to metal detecting.

On public woodland the forest superv isor decides whether or not a metal detector may be used. In most cases permission is not granted.

There is hardly any problem on public beaches as to forbid metal detecting would discriminate against a class of people and, therefore, a child would not be able to use a bucket and spade etc.

Apart from seeking permission of the landowner, no restrictions on private land.

FINDS AND REWARDS - THE RIGHTS OF THE FINDER

Any coins minted after the coin reform in the 16th century (excact year is 1536 and onwards with the excemption of silver coins weighing more than 9 g and any gold coin regardless of weight) can be retained by the finder. All Coins older than 1536 (as well as any gold coin and silver coins weighing more than 9 g regardless of year) and artefacts must be delivered to the Local museum that will forward the coin or artefact to the National Museum. The finder is awarded a cash sum for the find although, as this is determined by the National Museum, the reward is normally below the market value. It is very rare that the finder is allowed to keep his find if the artefact is of historical value. Local detectorists do however often get artefacts returned by the National Museum.

FUTURE TRENDS

Archaeologists recognise the benefits to be derived from seeking cooperation not confrontation and this is improving the relationship.

The method of calculating rewards is being challenged by the media and will probably result in change in the future.

FINLAND

All moveable objects, such as coins, weapons etc over one hundred years old should be reported with an indication of context (Antiquities Act 1963, Section 16).

This legislation does not rule out the use of metal detectors.

FRANCE

The use of metal detectors was controlled by the use of the war time Patrimony Act 1941 but, on the 18 December 1989 Law Number 89-900 (NOR: MCCX8900 163L) was adopted. However see appendix (L542) adopted in 2004.

Article 1: No one may use metal detecting equipment for the purpose of searching for monuments and objects which could interest (concern?) prehistory, history, art or archaeology without first having obtained administrative authorisation issued according to the qualification of the applicant and also the nature and method of searching.

Article 2: All publicity and instructions on the use of metal detectors must carry the warning of the prohibition stated in Article 1, the penalties involved and also the reason for this legislation.

Article 3: Every infringement of the present law will be noted by officers, police agents and other law enforcement officers, as well as by officials, agents and guardians of Article 3 of the law number 80-532 of 15 July 1980 relative to the protection of public collections against acts of vandalism.

Article 4: The reports drawn up by the various persons designated by Article 3 above will, until proved to the contrary, be given or sent, without delay, to the public prosecutor of the Republic in the jurisdiction where the offence was committed.

Under French law the enactment of legislation is followed by the Decree which determines how the law will be applied. In this case the Decree states:

Article 1 The authorisation to use metal detectors, provided for by Article1 of the 18 December 1989 Law is granted, on the demand of the interested party, by the license of the Prefect of the region in which the land to be searched is situated.

The request for authorisation must establish the identity, competence and experience of the applicant as well as the location, scientific objective and the duration of the searches to be undertaken.

When the searches are to be carried out on land which does not belong to the applicant, the written application must be accompanied by a document of consent written by the owner of the land and, if appropriate, anyone else who has the right.

Article 2 Anyone who uses a metal detector to carry out searches of the sort described in Article 1 of the Law without having first obtained the authorisation required or who does not observe the requirements described in Article 1 of this Decree will be punished by the fine applicable for contraventions of the fifth class.
The equipment used in the infringement will be confiscated.

Article 3 Whoever publicises or draws up publicity for, or draw up information about the use of metal detectors and fails to draw attention to the requirements of Article 2 of the Law will be punished according to the penalties applicable for offences of the fifth class.

Beaches are believed to be outside this Law.

Appendix (L542)
Art L542: No one can use equipment allowing metal target detection, to search monuments for objects of interest to pre-history, history, art or archaeology, without having first obtained an administrative authorisation, which may be given depending on the qualification of the applicant, as well as the nature of and reason for the research. Those who contravine are liable ti fines within the band class 5. The purpose of this regulation is the protection of archaeological sites. The authorisation of archaeological research using metal detectors requires the permission of the prefect of the area concerned.

GERMANY

The 1992 law on the search for, and preservation of antiquities, covers all objects belonging to the ancient period, early Christianity and the Middle Ages.

Excavation requires a licence and work may not be carried out, without permission, near an antiquity in such a way as to affect it directly or indirectly. All accidental discoveries must be reported. Rewards are made equal to 50% of value if found on public land and 100% if on private land.

Although the 1932 Act does not refer to metal detectors, any items found by its use are covered by the Act.

NORTHERN IRELAND

Historic Monuments and Archaeological Objects (Northern Ireland) Order 1995 No. 1625 (N.I. 9)

The Treasure Act 1996 Applies in Northern Ireland, However the law relating to searching for archaeological object differs from England and Wales.

ARCHAEOLOGICAL OBJECTS

Restriction on searching for archaeological objects, etc.
41. ó (1) Any person who, except under and in accordance with any conditions attached to a licence issued by the Department under this Article, excavates in or under any land (whether or not such excavation involves the removal of the surface of the land) for the purpose of searching generally for archaeological objects or of searching for, exposing or examining any particular structure or thing of archaeological interest shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

Restrictions on use of metal detectors

(1)If a person uses a metal detector in a protected place without the written consent of the [F1Commission (in a case of a place situated in England) or of the Secretary of State (in any other case)] he shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction or, in Scotland, on conviction before a court of summary jurisdiction, to a fine not exceeding [F2level 3 on the standard scale].
(2)In this sectionó

ďmetal detectorĒ means any device designed or adapted for detecting or locating any metal or mineral in the ground; and
ďprotected placeĒ means any place which is eitheró

(a)the site of a scheduled monument or of any monument under the ownership or guardianship of the Secretary of State [F3or the Commission] or a local authority by virtue of this Act; or
(b)situated in an area of archaeological importance.
(3)If a person without [F4written consent] removes any object of archaeological or historical interest which he has discovered by the use of a metal detector in a protected place he shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or on conviction on indictment to a fine.
[F5The reference in this subsection to written consent is to that of the Commission (where the place in question is situated in England) or of the Secretary of State (in any other case)]
(4)A consent granted by the Secretary of State [F6or the Commission] for the purposes of this section may be granted either unconditionally or subject to conditions.
(5)If any personó
(a)in using a metal detector in a protected place in accordance with any consent granted by the Secretary of State [F6or the Commission] for the purposes of this section; or
(b)in removing or otherwise dealing with any object which he has discovered by the use of a metal detector in a protected place in accordance with any such consent;
fails to comply with any condition attached to the consent, he shall be guilty of an offence and liable, in a case falling within paragraph (a) above, to the penalty provided by subsection (1) above, and in a case falling within paragraph (b) above, to the penalty provided by subsection (3) above.
(6)In any proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) above, it shall be a defence for the accused to prove that he used the metal detector for a purpose other than detecting or locating objects of archaeological or historical interest.
(7)In any proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) or (3) above, it shall be a defence for the accused to prove that he had taken all reasonable precautions to find out whether the place where he used the metal detector was a protected place and did not believe that it was.
Annotations:
Amendments (Textual)
F1Words substituted by National Heritage Act 1983 (c. 47, SIF 7Cool, s. 41, Sch. 4 para. 60(2)(6)
F2Words substituted by virtue of Criminal Justice Act 1982 (c. 4Cool, s. 46 and Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1975 (c. 21), s. 289G (as inserted by Criminal Justice Act 1982 (c. 4Cool, s. 54)
F3Words inserted by National Heritage Act 1983 (c. 47, SIF 7Cool, s. 41, Sch. 4 para. 60(3)(6)
F4Words substituted by National Heritage Act 1983 (c. 47, SIF 7Cool, s. 41, Sch. 4 para. 60(4)(6)
F5Words inserted by National Heritage Act 1983 (c. 47, SIF 7Cool, s. 41, Sch. 4 para. 60(4)(6)
F6Words inserted by National Heritage Act 1983 (c. 47, SIF 7Cool, s. 41, Sch. 4 para. 60(5)(6)
Modifications etc. (not altering text)
C1S. 42(1) excluded (18.12.1996) by 1996 c. 61, s. 12, Sch. 7 para. 4(12)
C2S. 42(3) excluded (18.12.1996) by 1996 c. 61, s. 12, Sch. 7 para. 4(13

REPUBLIC of IRELAND
The National Monuments (Amendment) Act
(Section 2) states:

Subject to the provisions of this section a person shall not:

1a: Use or be in possession of a detection device in, or at the site of, a monument
of which the Commissioners or a local authority are the owners or guardians or in
respect of which a preservation order is in force or which stands registered in the
Register or

2a. in an archaeological area that stands registered in the Register or

3a. in a Registered area

OR

b: Use, at a place other than a place specified in paragraph a of this subsection, a detection device for the purpose of searching for archaeological objects or

c: Promote, whether by advertising or otherwise, the sale or use of detection
devices for the purpose of searching for archaeological objects.

Note: `Archaeological area' is defined as ` an area which the Commissioners
consider to be of archaeological importance but does not include the area of a
historical monument standing entered in the Register'.

Section 40 states that `Where in a prosecution for an offence under this section it
is proved that a detection device was used, it shall be presumed until the contrary
is proved that the device was being used for the purpose of searching for
archaeological objects'.

ISRAEL

The Antiquities Act 1978, Section 9a states that `no person shall excavate in a private property for the purpose of discovering antiquities, nor search for antiquities in any other manner, including the use of metal detectors, nor gather antiquities unless he has received a licence for such from the Director. Breach of this section carries a liability to imprisonment for a term of 3 years or a fine of =A3150,000'.

Section 38 of the same Act states that `any person found on an antiquity site, in whose possession or in whose immediate vicinity are found excavation tools and it can be assumed that they were recently used in excavation work at the site, or in whose possession or in whose immediate vicinity is found a metal detector, is presumed to have intended to discover antiquities unless he proves that he has no such intention.

ITALY

Although it is not illegal to buy a metal detector in Italy, there are strict rules on where you can metal detect.
There are many historical and protected archaeological areas where metal detecting is not allowed which are published by the Ityalian Government.
Metal detecting is allowed on areas which are not designated as such provided you have permission from the landowner.
Historical, Artistic and Archaeological objects as defined in law No42 January 2004 cannot be exported without an export licence.
If you discover any object of historical or archaeological importance as covered by the above law, metal detecting must cease and the find reported within 24 hours.
All Archaeological finds are the property of the state and must be reported to carabinieri/local Superintendency of Arts.
A Reward may be offered up to 10% of the value of the find.
The selling of archaeological objects is forbidden and all coins over 50 years old are considered historical.

It should also be noted that in val díAosta and Veneto and Trentino (north part of Italy ) there are some local and regional ristrictions in place due to the large ammount of WWI and WWII amunition being discovered.
It is advisable therefore to ask the ďComuneĒ or ďProvinciaĒ which are responsible for those districts or townships before venturing onto any land.

Thanks to Edoardo Meacci for the latest information.

JERSEY

( STATEMENT OF DETECTING REGULATIONS IN JERSEY )

Metal detecting in Jersey is primary a beach/foreshore activity around the island.
Unless, you have permission by a land owner to search there fields, so long as there is
no archaeological monument within the land, or other sites as stated below having an
SSI status... the areaís to avoid are: St. Ouen inland dunes at the 5 mile road, also
Jersey/National Trust land, and historic sites/buildings as expected.

We have no treasure trove law in Jersey, however there are four things to consider that are in law, operating as statute for control within, our hobby on the Island ...

(1). Parks and Common Land areas are subject to policing, these are no-go-areas.

(2). SSI - Sights of Special Interest, cover all historic sites and buildings in jersey, these are no-go-areas, ďwith one exception as belowĒ (a).

(a). However, one Extended Beach Area, starting from La Collette in St. Helier, East Coast going around Northward through to Greve DíAzette, Green Island, Le Hocq, La Rocque, and into the bay of Grouville upto Gorey Harbour, allows you to beach detect and recover finds in these areas, but keep in mind the sites marine environment, this is why it has an SSI placed on it.

(3). Metals of Gold/Silver, rings or the like with person/persons loss incurred, requires the finder to take the item into our police station, at Rouge Bouillon in St Helier ; where details would be taken and if the item is not claimed, it becomes either crown property, or returned to the finder in time.

(4). Lastly, Jersey has a Custom & Excise Law, policing objects of historic interest, and are restricted from going out of the island, without a license...
So if you recover a find or finds that have a date of 50 years or more, you need a Custom Licence No. 108, to be granted export for the find after the find/object has been assessed by our Jersey Heritage Trust, at La Houge Bie Museum to determine its context for recording, and for the islands history the museum might, buy the find.

Its likely, you will recover mainly recent and Victorian, plus badly worn 1600 French coinage, also the usual dross left behind towards the top of the beach, however rings can be a good source particularly very thin ones, if you have a detector good at recovering thin gold and silver, you could do well; so good luck, and if your a visitor to the island, enjoy your stay.

Jersey Metal Detecting Society: 2004/5.

LIECHTENSTEIN

The 1977 Monument Protection Act requires the declaration of any antiquities
found in the soil. A government permit is necessary for archaeological excavations.

LUXEMBOURG

The 1966 Act on excavations and movable cultural objects states that `all search and excavations with the aim of discovery or bringing to light objects or sites of historical interest can only be made with the authorisation of the Minister for Arts and Sciences'.

The use of metal detecting for unauthorised searching is widespread and, in the view of the Ministry of Justice, is in contravention of the law.

MALTA

The 1925 - 1974 Antiquities Protection Act affords protection to all objects, both movable and immovable, which are more than 50 years old. Excavation can only be carried out with government authorisation (Article 1). The reporting of accidental finds is compulsory (Article 10).

Since 1979 there has been a ban on the import of any metal detectors of sufficient sensitivity to be of any danger to archaeological sites.

NETHERLANDS

Information to follow.

NORWAY

Section 4 of the Cultural Heritage Act 1978 lists a wide range of specified objects, both fixed and movable, dating from before 1937 which are protected.
Section 3 also provides protection from unauthorised excavation. The ownership of all objects older than 1537 and of coins older that 1650 is vested in the State (Section 12, a and b). Section 13 requires that all finds should be reported to the authorities who will fix a suitable reward. There is no specific reference to metal detectors.

PORTUGAL

There has been some new legislation introduced recently which prohibits searching for archaeological material without a permit. To obtain a permit, please apply to the Ministry of Culture in Portugal .

More information will be available soon.

SPAIN

The Spanish Tourist Office in London advises in their General Information sheet:

Metal Detectors: The use of metal detectors is not allowed unless an import license for the detector has previously been issued. Further enquiries should be made to the Spanish Commercial Office.

The Commercial Office at the Spanish Embassy, if asked, provide the following written information:

1. The use of metal detectors could involve considerations of the Law and Regulations governing artistic or archaeological finds, involving national heritage and treasure trove, as provided by the very detailed Law of 25th June 1985 (Historical Heritage); and the Royal Decree of 10th January 1986 which develops it.

2. If anything is found, therefore, it would be necessary to comply with the complex procedures outlined in these enactments; and it would certainly not be possible for any finds to be taken out of Spain until the proper Authorities had given their consent. That could take months; and if the article in question is classified as part of the national artistic heritage, and/or is over 100 years old, it is not likely to receive an export permit either at all, or for a very long time, owing to the complexity of the procedures.

The second aspect is a technical one. The Royal Decree of 25th November 1987, which deals with nuclear energy and radio-activity, lays down rules and safeguards against radiation. The Order of 20th March 1975 sets out the homologation rules for radio-active apparatus. The metal detector in question may not comply with those rules.

There is a third aspect. The local Naval Authorities have been known to complain because the use of metal detectors has interfered with electronic communications.

All in all, therefore, it is preferable not to use metal detectors in Spain .

December 1989

SWEDEN

Section 19 of the 1988 Act which prohibited metal detecting in the countries of Gotland and Oland has now been extended to include all of Sweden .

SWITZERLAND

No legislation specifically refers to metal detecting by private individuals, though legislation exists to ban unauthorised search or excavation of antiquities.

TURKEY

The 1973 Antiquities Act carries very extensive lists of movable and immovable objects protected including places of ancient settlement or places where there are vestiges of ancient civilisations (Article 1). All objects are the property of the State (Article 3 ) and reporting is obligatory (Article 4) but a reward system exists (Article 47).

There is a specific provision against treasure hunting, illicit excavation and dealing in antiquities (Article 51 - 52). Unauthorised treasure hunting carries a penalty of 2 - 5 years imprisonment and fines of =A35,000 to =A310,000 (Article 47).

Quote:

So it's a win win arrangement. Meanwhile, local archeologists await eagerly for people that put their find up for attribution. Coffee is served..

Good and proud archeologist that read this will blow lol
Wait for curious people ? Archeologist? We are probably speaking about different things here
What is an Archeologist at your country?
LxGoodies
Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate treasure hunting, MD searchers have a responsbility. In the Netherlands an archeologist is the same as an archeologist anywhere else. That is someone who puts little flags on maps and, when he gets the chance and the little time window, maps and excavates for 2 weeks before the actual mess is made (that is they put a building on the spot and destroy it all)

dunno what your country is, where you come from.. but MD people are not the enemy, they can be "eyes and ears". Have a look here ,

http://www.finds.org.uk/database

This is the model that is used in GB atm, and the Netherlands are well underways to create websites like that as well. however, our government has not been so culture-friendly lately.. so there is very little funding for research. Dutch archeologists do welcome volunteers.. lots of these volunteers started out on MD. There is no witch hunt, the basis for that is mutual respect.

You have another experience ?

Lx
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate treasure hunting, MD searchers have a responsbility. In the Netherlands an archeologist is the same as an archeologist anywhere else. That is someone who puts little flags on maps and, when he gets the chance and the little time window, maps and excavates for 2 weeks before the actual mess is made (that is they put a building on the spot and destroy it all)

Hi
I knew we were speaking about different perspectives of the profession you see you seem to speak about city council archeologists yes those ones have a little job they went to places do a fast and sometimes dubious analyses collect what they want and then a building will pop up there.
Iím from Portugal we also have them here, they use to call my father when they need help
To understand or identify something, from our country and from other countries last time a answer one of that phone calls was from Italy someone asking from a book my father wrote in 1973, you see for me those ones see archeology as a job, and its truth is their job.
You see the ones I know like my father they arenít paid to work in archeology honestly my father is retired from the ministry of finance archeology is a passion (im not saying he isnít graduated)
You canít just call him and tell him hey come here analyze me this land, those things are out of question, but you can and you should call him if it is a big project, an ancient city, village, fort, etc , but there are exceptions truth, but most of the time what those city council archeologists find he already knew about that from decades loll thatís why they are always calling asking help loll
My way to see things.
the way Iíve been theatched since I born and when I was kid ,forces me to see things I bit further that just that, I believe I started to work in archeological expeditions with 5 years more or less not sure, since than Iíve see almost everything since our/species very beginning and Iíve also seen destruction a lot of it ,and most of the time caused for curious people looking for fast profit ,and here we can join paleontology, fossil hunt is also a big problem here, and isnít it better to go to a museum watch the cleaned peaceís in a contest ? Than find them at eBay?
You see Iíve grew surrounded by strange rocks and artifacts, pyramids of books all over the place, molds, black and white photography, bones, skulls, anything you can imagine, so now
My opinion on this MD subject is very radical loll they arenít professional so they should leave that to professionals, you can believe that those taggers that spot flags are doing a great job yes right, and it looks like but at least in Europe where we are ,thereís no more SURPRISES TO FIND
We probably didnít get that everything yet, because I doesnít justifies, thereís no money what so ever ,but governments and universities, know that is there, they probably donít know the exact material or spot, but they know that ,in that zone an ancient people lived 5000 years ago and when and if they need they will spot there and expedition and study the local
LxGoodies
If i understand you right, your father is a very experienced amateur archeologist ? 'passion' ?

I've seen a lot of MD-searchers that are also experienced amateur archeologist.

I'm an amateur als well.. and I must say unlike you, I do respect city archeologists ! They have to deliver their work in limited time and with limited funding.

Maybe you said this, because your father told you, these city archeologists know nothing.. but I am SURE that your father is wrong saying that. Maybe your father knows a lot about a specific time.. the city council archeologist knows a lot of his city, or place.

Everyone is specialized in their own right. Just because they call your father for advice, does not mean they are no good at their profession. I'm just a poor coins collector, who knows something of Roman numismatics. Archeologists and amateurs alike ask me to get their find dated and attributed. I do my best..

Smile Lx
zaxacongrejo
no you didnít understand nothing of what I said
First of all I didnít said my father was an amateur
Lol because he isnít
second and I believe I said that I previous posts, he is a very well respected archeologist in Europe and Usa in Universities world not amateur world
Quote:
I must say unlike you, I do respect city archeologists!

Why do you think I donít respect them? I do respect them but im not stupid I am used to deal with real archeologists ,university teachers and so not people that work for the city and think thatís archeology is clean a land spot with an MD

Quote:
Maybe you said this, because your father told you, these city archeologists know nothing.. but I am SURE that your father is wrong saying that. Maybe your father knows a lot about a specific time.. the city council archeologist knows a lot of his city, or place.

You know I will try donít read this again you really didnít understand I guess or you think Iím a stupid kid which Iím not
Let me make you a picture to see if you get clear on this.
48 books / expeditions in all Europe/ Latin America/ Egypt/ etc, etc ,etc you see those city council archeologist are the first one to tell me near of what your father know we know 0
The best archeologist from your country probably knows him.
One more thing, I donít have nothing against amateurs, but I do have against when they start to destroy see, like I said before I have seen a lot of destruction before I grew inside that world
Thereís nothing really new for me, you are reacting like that because you are Md user yourself
Iím also used to that, but I keep my convictions and you guys should be forbidden to do it.
When you are digging looking for coins you are destroying more than just a little hall like you can think, what about the all other stuff you didnít saw? Or better said for each 1 MD user that really cares there will be 100 that will not care that much so, no I will not defend MD users in this context

Quote:
Everyone is specialized in their own right. Just because they call your father for advice, does not mean they are no good at their profession

I didnít said they werenít good in what they do which is limited ,but now you answer me something if they are so good, why are they working for the city council and not teaching in one university ? for example? Or being responsible for a museum for example? Or even being a buyer of the museum?
LxGoodies
Hmm I'm not going to quarrel about your father, THIS is what you said,

zaxacongrejo wrote:
my father is retired from the ministry of finance archeology is a passion (im not saying he isnít graduated)

For me, as a Dutchman (also non-English) this reads as "my father is a retired employee of the ministery of finance that finds passion in archeology" and owns a grade in (??)

I don't know what i did not understand further on..

Quote:
Quote:
Everyone is specialized in their own right. Just because they call your father for advice, does not mean they are no good at their profession

I didnít said they werenít good in what they do which is limited ,but now you answer me something if they are so good, why are they working for the city council and not teaching in one university ? for example? Or being responsible for a museum for example? Or even being a buyer of the museum?

Hmm why should every good archeologist teach at a university ? Why can't people work for a municipal community.. because you don't respect that ? You say "limited" , i see that as disrespectful. Mark your words please, this topic is about coin collecting, it's not a political debate.

Quote:
but I keep my convictions and you guys should be forbidden to do it.

I can't discuss when we are not speaking the same language, sorry pal.. I'm not "you guys", Im not even a MD searcher. I don't understand you, you don't understand me, so let's stop this sherade please.

And again: I never meant to insult you, or your father, or any archeologist.. and I'm not advocating illegal treasure hunting, I'm against destroying excavation context.. these are unjust allegations that you slapped into my face !

Kind regards,

Lx
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
For me, as a Dutchman (also non-English) this reads as "my father is a retired employee of the ministery of finance that finds passion in archeology" and owns a grade in (??)

You see probably i explained badly but i can explain again
4 graduations and the respective PhDīs
Quote:
employee of the ministry of finance

This was what probably caused the confusion, you see in certain positions in this ministry
People have a lot of free time, he was not a simple employee

Quote:
Hmm why should every good archeologist teach at a university? Why can't people work for a municipal community.. because you don't respect that ? You say "limited" , i see that as disrespectful. Mark your words please, this topic is about coin collecting, it's not a political debate.

You see around the world not only here when you graduate with distinction which means the best ones, you will be invited for that university to stay, as a teacher, them something else etc.
When I say and repeat minor is a fact, they are the first ones to tell you that, like in all EU countries ,and your is not different you probably have 300 city archeologists letís say 300 this is just an example how many of them are ďVIPĒ to your country?
In the other hand you probably have 4 or 5 that are ďVIPĒ in your country and all around the world, VIP is not the greatest word, but I donít remember a better one.
Quote:
Mark your words please, this topic is about coin collecting, it's not a political debate.

Quote:
And again: I never meant to insult you, or your father, or any archeologist..

What a hell? Iím not feeling insulted or anything like that loll, not even trying to attack you or something; Iím here for fun not for fights

Quote:
these are unjust allegations that you slapped into my face !

here is your answer
Quote:
Maybe you said this, because your father told you, these city archeologists know nothing.. But I am SURE that your father is wrong saying that. Maybe your father knows a lot about a specific time.. The city council archeologist knows a lot of his city, or place.

Honestly at this time I believe you donít know any archeologist or at least in a very good way, in order you can discuss with that person , the kind of subjects we are talking here, when you have that opportunity please do it you will understand me in a blink of an eye
LxGoodies
@zaxa again.. although I do not agree with 90% of your assumptions about me, or archeology, or Dutch archeologists for that matter, I am not going to let you drag me into some elaborate debate here. This topic of dude_xyx is about our hobby, that is coin collecting, in a positive way.. I'd like to respect that.

Wherever I have misunderstood, or misinterpreted your text, I'm sorry about that..

Can't you show some coins or something ? Very Happy

Lx
zaxacongrejo
And you are right but remember I still a noob here thatís why I probably tend to go off topic
But is just a question of time is the first forum I participate also, so noob to all.
at the Christmas I will be with my father, I will ask him about it ,here I donít have photos, I will also post other stuff like primitive axes etc. ,but I will have to talk with him first to have his guidance and camera, etc. loll
LxGoodies
zaxacongrejo wrote:
I will also post other stuff like primitive axes etc

I'm very interested in that as well !! Looking forward to these..

Latest aquisition is this Denarius of the empress Faustina I,

This is not a spectacular quality piece, but rather special in its own right.

The lettering indicates that this coin was struck in the years 136-138, which makes it a lifetime issue of Faustina. This is very rare. Her husband, the emperor Antoninus, stroke coins for Faustina during the subsequent 25 years, in her remembrance. Her title on these coins is "DIVA". That is not the case on above coin.

Lx
zaxacongrejo
what a nice example you just post here ,you see this coin I bet has been found by an amateur I am probably wrong this is just a bet, why do I say this, as you can see at the face of the imperator thereís a injury at the coin it is scratched at the nose and mouth, that happened do to the use of the wrong tools to excavate. This is not 100% sure is just my bet accidents also happen, and even sometimes they show up in agriculture fields, so agriculture machines damage them
LxGoodies
Well i think you guessed right, but I'm not sure either by which of these two causes it was damaged, the face of Faustina I.. indeed it's a pity, the obverse would have been far much more appealing without this damage. It has been reported last year (after I attributed it online) to the Utrecht numismaticists, as most Dutch coin finds are.. unless it's a 17th century copper hehe..

Smile Lx
dude_xyx
I read an article about last king of Egypt who had one of worlds best coin collections. Seems he has some most the most rare American gold coins.
zaxacongrejo
American rare coins have astronomic values
playfungames
I have got hold of some Nepalese coins. They belonged to my grandfather so I can say that they are pretty old. But I am not sure about the value of these coins. And I am also not sure what to do with those. May be I will pass it along.
LxGoodies
dude_xyx wrote:
I read an article about last king of Egypt who had one of worlds best coin collections. Seems he has some most the most rare American gold coins.

Yep, king Farouk. Google "Farouk coins", there is a lot of info about it online

http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/signal/coins/soltaylor021608.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farouk_of_Egypt#Coin_collection
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2002/598/hr2.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_double_eagle

This coin from the collection of King Farouk is the most expensive single coin ever sold,

http://www.fleur-de-coin.com/articles/mostexpensivecoin.asp

"Hundreds of people -- including many of the world's top collectors of modern coins -- crowded anxiously around the Double Eagle trying to catch their first and last glimpse of this splendid coin, the only example of its kind ever to go on sale. The auction started sharply at 6pm with a bid of $2.5 million. Within a mere four minutes a fierce battle among the bidders pushed the price to $5.1 million. Finally the broker of an unidentified coin collector, number L0003, sealed the deal at $7.59 million -- representing $6.6 million plus 15 per cent commission to Sotheby's. The buyer must also pay an extra $20 to the US Treasury in repayment of the original face value of the coin."

For a single coin.. incredible Razz

There was a time that you could be arrested for owning one.. the 1933 golden eagle was outlawed, you could not own one, because it was not supposed to exist Surprised for years, the American government would deny they exist:

"Two coins should have been the only 1933 double eagle coins in existence. However, unknown to the Mint, a number of the coins (20 have been recovered so far) were stolen, possibly by the U.S. Mint Cashier, and found their way via Philadelphia jeweler Israel Switt, into the hands of collectors. The coins circulated among collectors for several years before the Secret Service became aware of their existence. The matter came to the attention of Mint officials when an investigative reporter looked into the history of the coins he had spotted in an upcoming Stack's Bowers coin auction and contacted the Mint as part of his research, as a result of which an official investigation was begun by the Secret Service in March 1944. Prior to the investigation a Texas dealer sold one of the coins and it was on the way out of the country on February 29, 1944."

Lx
zaxacongrejo
I will try to donít forget to ask for some picks to post here at the same time i will show something to my father i spot at the "pt" eBay Iím shocked, lots of prehistoric stuff for sale there
LxGoodies
zaxacongrejo wrote:
I will try to donít forget to ask for some picks to post here at the same time i will show something to my father i spot at the "pt" eBay Iím shocked, lots of prehistoric stuff for sale there

You mean axes and other stone artefacts ? seen this ? there's an index for it.. Confused

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Neolithic-Paleolithic-/66834/i.html

..it's apparently not illegal to sell these on-line Rolling Eyes else e-bay would not make that index

(or would they)

Lx
zaxacongrejo
yes you are right seems to be a legal way to lose history or sell well made fakes
LxGoodies
zaxacongrejo wrote:
yes you are right seems to be a legal way to lose history or sell well made fakes

Well if we're talking stone tools i completely agree with you, Zaxa... These should not be sold, and when found, they should not be brought home or collected. Whenever a stone tool is found, it should be taken to the archeologist/paleontologist immediately, that is a person who can attribute it and archive it properly. And also register the place it was found, very precisely !! Some of these tools are very rare, or crafted early in prehistory. Anything that gives us clues about prehistory should be handled with outmost respect. This also counts for e.g. bronze age artefacts, like axes. Google "bronze age axe for sale" and click images, you see what I mean. It's really bizarre, how many of these museal finds are actually for sale !

As for the fakes, you don't wanna know zaxa.. Crying or Very sad there may be more fakes than genuine finds on the market nowadays.

This counts for Greek and Roman coins too.

Let's put a few links on fake coins, so people reading this topic can store them in their fav-list and make good use of them. If you want to collect Roman coins, but you don't own a metal detector to find them yourself, below websites SHOULD be consulted before you buy.. this especially counts for e-bay etc..

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/index.php
http://www.forgerynetwork.com
http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-fakes.htm
http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/fakes/fakes.htm
http://www.chijanofuji.com/ancientforgeries.html

Lx
zaxacongrejo
you are dam right but guess what the ones i spot at the Portuguese ,market place the guy is saying were they have been found probably, he will have a surprise
dude_xyx
In 2008 They found 10 1933 gold double eagle coins which were owned by a coin dealer named Israel Switt. those 10 coins said to be worth over 80 million dollars. But United States District Court decided these coins belongs to government and order him to handover those or something like that. I don't remember the full story.
zaxacongrejo
im back i didnt got permition to post fotos so i cant do it
probably i didnt have the best aprox because i first show him the internet market for stolen stuff
dude_xyx

A Greek drachma coin. Minted around in 700-550 BC so these coins are over 2500 years old.
LxGoodies
hi @dude_xyx,

You show the famous Aegina Stater, here are some other examples,

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?results=100&search=Aegina

Dates are between 525AD and ca 350AD.

I regret I can't afford one Smile these are beautiful coins ! But to be honest, even if I could afford one, I would hesitate to buy one, because there exist too many fakes.

Lx
dude_xyx
Wow but some coins are estimated for around 200 Euro ? I'm not sure coz that site is not English. I thought these coins are way expensive than this. Even those damaged or worn out coins.

It would be a gem to any coin collection a 2500+ years old silver coin. Smile
LxGoodies
This week I had birthday.. I've bought this Quadrans of Claudius I, dated 41-43AD.

It seems big on this picture (scan) but it is only 16mm, very small bronze coin, it's a quarter of an As.

It's one of my finest Roman coins now.

Smile Lx

subhan1
I have many antique coins Smile
Specially the first official coin of Pakistan 1948 xD
dude_xyx
LxGoodies, How much did you play for that ? It's a rare coin or a common one ? Seems to be in pretty good condition.
codegeek
I have an old Nepalese coin which is about a 100 years old. I also have some paper notes. I've been collecting old coins since I was a child. I don't have any international ones though.
LxGoodies
dude_xyx wrote:
LxGoodies, How much did you play for that ? It's a rare coin or a common one ? Seems to be in pretty good condition.

Hmm every time I put a Roman coin on the forum you put that question.. Very Happy anyway, this one was under 100 dollars, which is really a bargain for this quality. The type is common (many of these are found actually, but not in this condition !)

Lx
dude_xyx
Yeah not bad for a price under $100. Roman coins are common but its hard to find old coins which in good condition. Well yep it hard not to ask the price and info. You should post all that when you post a coin photo ! Very Happy

I thought to post something else I found, not the coin but in an article. Probably the most famous coin all times. The coin in story of Judas' 30 Pieces of Silver ! How many out there has seen what this silver coin is ? Well nobody knows for sure but there are couple of possibilities. This is one of those,

This one is a Roman silver coin called Tyrian shekel.

These were minted in around 100 BC or so.

And Wikipedia says this coin called Antiochan stater is another possibility. Couldn't find photo of real on even in Google search.

LxGoodies
hi @dude_xyx,

Great shekel indeed ! And a rare piece. More biblical coins struck in ancient Israel can be found at classicalcoins.com. I have a few of them, the small coppers in my collection are not really rare coins.. they are quite commonly sold under the name "widows mites".. a term from King James' bible.

Knowing you're very fond of expensive coins, I just came across one of the most rare and expensive Roman coins in existence.. You can buy a nice house for this one. As you can see this is not a gold coin. Gold coins of Annia Faustina are unknown.

This lady was so beautiful that the emperor Elagabalus killed her husband Pomponius Bassus to marry her.

Every 5-10 years, a Roman-imperial silver of this lady (a denarius struck in Rome) is auctioned. This one,

Quote:

Source: Numismatica Ars Classica NAC AG
Auction: Auction 64 (17.05.2012) Lot 1226
Estimate 90000 CHF
Price 120000 CHF (~127116 USD)

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=574558

Smile Lx
LxGoodies
Hi,

As promised to DeanHills last night, proudly presenting my new coin.

No Roman this time. This silver piece is a 10 Stuiver or Half Guilder, issued by the province of Holland in 1748.

At the time, the Netherlands consisted of a southern part (now Belgium) and a northern part (still: The Netherlands).

The northern part of the country was an independent Republic of seven provinces, called The Dutch Republic. Holland is the coastal region.

On the obverse, a lion is shown with 7 arrows, symbolizing the provinces, the sword referring to the independence war against Spain, which was fought 1568-1648.

On the reverse, the virgin of Holland with the Freedom Cap on a stick. In these times, the Dutch Republic was known for political liberalism and religious freedom.. many people from France (e.g. Hugenots) and Spain/Portugal (Jews) emigrated to Amsterdam in the province of Holland, to practice trade.

These pieces are quite rare, the one Guilder is found far more frequently than the half Guilder (this one)

But the trader I bought it from, did not know that Smile lucky me..

Lx
deanhills
Pretty awesome Lx. Guess it gives you the edge in negotiations to have such a detailed knowledge of the coins.

Didn't realize how much of the history must be in the coins. By the way, my family was of the Hugenots who emigrated from France around that time. They settled in Amersfoort, Utrecht at the time - there are still a few of them living there. They were tradesmen as well.
LxGoodies
deanhills wrote:
Pretty awesome Lx. Guess it gives you the edge in negotiations to have such a detailed knowledge of the coins.

Didn't realize how much of the history must be in the coins. By the way, my family was of the Hugenots who emigrated from France around that time. They settled in Amersfoort, Utrecht at the time - there are still a few of them living there. They were tradesmen as well.

Hehe great to learn something about you, DeanHills.. we have something in common, it seems. My family from one side is jewish and emigrated in the 1670's from Portugal to Amsterdam.

deanhills wrote:

A well documented coin is worth more, yes. And indeed.. coins do provide a lot of historical knowledge. For provincial coins like the above, the knowledge is largely symbolical: the depictions on the coin represent certain concepts that were important at the time, but the same coin existed for 10-20 years. When talking Roman coins however, the depiction can be regarded as "old newspapers", that is the emperor decided personally what to depict on a coin and that changed from year to year.. they used Roman gods on the reverse, to decide what propaganda would be appropriate for the current year. From Roman coins, it is possible to reconstruct Roman history !

Lx
dude_xyx
I have some old copper VOC coins. Nothing expensive. Cheap but like 300-400 years old coins. From different areas of Netherlands.
onebadpenny
My father is a collector. I guess he's kinda passionate about it. I have 1 coin, which he gave me, which is my favorite. It's a tiny 'widows mite'. Has a little sun with rays stamped on it. And it's over 2000 years old. I loved it as soon as I saw it, before I knew any of the history, before I even knew it was a coin. LOL
dude_xyx
onebadpenny wrote:
My father is a collector. I guess he's kinda passionate about it. I have 1 coin, which he gave me, which is my favorite. It's a tiny 'widows mite'. Has a little sun with rays stamped on it. And it's over 2000 years old. I loved it as soon as I saw it, before I knew any of the history, before I even knew it was a coin. LOL

It would cool to see a photo if you can post. Is it something like this ?

LxGoodies
My new acquisition is not a coin, it's a counter. These large copper pieces were struck between ca 1300 and 1800: they served as tokens for the abacus, which is an ancient tool of calculation, a precursor to the computer. A very interesting page on ancient computing is

http://www.historyofinformation.com/expanded.php?category=Mathematics+%2F+Logic

.. where this picture can be found, of clercs using these counters to calculate city finances:

In the 16th and 17th centuries, the Dutch Republic issued many of these counters, which show historical events. When I shifted my interest from modern coins to ancient coins ten years ago, I decided I'd like to collect especially pieces related to the 80 years war between the Dutch and the Spanish (1568-1648)

My newest counter originates from the city of Dordrecht, issued in 1606.

The obverse shows a Dutch ship, in a storm at sea. This counter refers to the disastrous sea expeditions conducted against the Portugese fleet, by the Admiral Hautain. His encounters with the enemy were kind of coward: instead of shooting at the enemy ships, he kept on distance and (just) chased the Portugese back to Havana. On the back of this counter, we find the text "MODIC∆ FIDEI QVID TIMETIS ?" which translates into "Are we afraid of weak believers ?". Of course, "weak believers" was meant to insult the catholics.. referring to the Dutch protestant revolution against the Spanish king and the Inquisition.

Smile Lx
mshafiq
i also have a habite of collecting coins.i have a coins of different types and style.
LxGoodies
Proudly presenting my new coin.. this is a very rare early-medieval piece of the emperor Lotharius (840-855), a grandson of the famous Charles I the Great or Charlemagne. As you may notice, the condition of this coin is quite bad: it is actually just a large fragment. However this state is not uncommon for fragile silver coins of that time and I am very happy with this. A complete piece will definitely be out of reach for my budget.

One very nice thing about it: the type was struck in the Netherlands ! On the reverse, OR-STA-TVS can be read, which indicates DORESTAD, nowadays a small city in the province of Utrecht !

There is no portrait of the emperor on my coin, but this is what Lotharius looked like,

More to read about him, see:

Wikipedia - Lothair I
Wikipedia -Dorestad

Smile Lx
dude_xyx
Silver coins ware-out fast. One reason why some Old Silver coins are expensive than even gold coins. Because its hard to find Old Silver coins in perfect condition if those are exposed to nature.

My oldest Silver coin is only 300-400 years old. A tiny silver Fanam from India or Sri Lanka.
LxGoodies
dude_xyx wrote:
Silver coins ware-out fast. One reason why some Old Silver coins are expensive than even gold coins. Because its hard to find Old Silver coins in perfect condition if those are exposed to nature.

My oldest Silver coin is only 300-400 years old. A tiny silver Fanam from India or Sri Lanka.

Indeed.. problem with silver is, it tends to fall apart. Especially when it is bad silver (low silver content and very thin, as most old coins are Very Happy )

... and bronze is even worse !! With bronze, a collector hopes that it stays intact during his own lifetime. I keep my bronze coins in air-tight packaging. The coin you see above, that is my Roman quadrans.. I hope the green speckles will not develop into bronze rot which can destroy a bronze coin in 6 months. And if it is in the coin, you will loose it..

Silver coins are often mistreated. People polish them, which is completely wrong because polishing is the same as wear. You loose small detail. For old coins, it is better to let the black silver oxide develop on the coin. This will give the coin details a better look too. My own approach: I prefer silver coins that are *very* black and oxidized irregularly, because that indicates authenticity.

Fake or not is always a topic with old coins. The Carolingian coin I showed you in the previous submit was a metal detector find.. I know the person who found it and (about) where he found it. So.. I am very happy to have this coin, it is a proven genuine Carolingian. Nowadays, with e-bay and online trade, there exist more fake coins than genuine coins.
dude_xyx
Yeah those green stuff are the worst that could happen to bronze coins. You can try to clean and it probably damage the coin and you let it stay it sallow the whole coin.
mshafiq
Now i started to collect different coins.
dude_xyx
mshafiq wrote:
Now i started to collect different coins.

If you can get hold old coins it might a good future investment.
Emdena
Ialso collecting old coin but as far as my collection go.. my coin only 70 years old the oldest.. I was wondering how you got on your hand that prehistoric coin....
LxGoodies
Emdena wrote:
Ialso collecting old coin but as far as my collection go.. my coin only 70 years old the oldest.. I was wondering how you got on your hand that prehistoric coin....

Well you could buy one, for instance this one,

Quote:
CELTIC, Gaul, Leuci, (c.60-40 B.C.),
Potin ŗ la tÍte chauve, Unit
18 mm

bald head left
R/ Boar left, with motif of three crescents in a pyramid below.

LT 9155
grey patina, very nice coin, near XF,

http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/gb_collection/65/product/celtic_gaul_leuci_c6040_bc_potin_a_la_tete_chauve_unit/499890/Default.aspx

Only $47,- this is not a bad price for something genuine prehistoric, don't you think ?

By the way, when talking coins, the above coin could be called "prehistoric", because the French/Belgian Leuci tribe did not leave us any written chronicles. However, when talking prehistory in a broader sense, there are no prehistoric coins. iN 650BC, when coinage was invented in Lydia, written accounts existed for at least 2000 years and history had long begun.. also in the city states of Lydia itself.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/themes/money/the_origins_of_coinage.aspx
hatori
Yay, can I join coin collectors team Smile
dude_xyx
Aww another beauty ! This coin reminds me that lion coin found in Turkey. One known as the oldest coin yet to find. I don't remember how long that one but must be around 3000 years.
LxGoodies
Yeah.. lion coin, this is one, nice gold Stater,

Quote:
Lydian electrum trite (4.71g, 13x10x4 mm). This coin type, made of a gold and silver alloy, was in all likelihood the world's first, minted by King Alyattes in Sardis, Lydia, Asia Minor (present-day Turkey), c. 610-600 BC. It can be attributed, among other ways, as Weidauer 59-75 (Type 15).

http://oldestcoins.reidgold.com/article.html

It had only one side, the lion. The other side of this coin shows the remains of an incusion that occurred when the coin was struck. These coins seem to be the first European money.

Meanwhile China developed a different kind of coin, "Spade money",

http://www.china-tour.cn/Chinese-Arts/Ancient-Chinese-Coins.htm

In the antique times, many things were used as exchange objects. But for something to be a genuine coin, it must be approved by an authority. The lion was the symbol of the Lydian king. On the Chinese spades, the city name is inscribed. That is why it is a coin.. and shells, rings and ingots are not..
codegeek
My main coin collection seems to be on frihost. Very Happy

I do collect physical coins as well. The oldest one in the collection is from 1954 when Tribhuwan was the king of Nepal. I also have 1 paisa, 10 paisa, and 25 paisa coins. They stopped making those a long time ago. I don't have any international coins, though. Only old Nepali coins.
dude_xyx
I didn't know about these Chinese Spade money. Thanks for that source page. It has some nice information about Chinese coins.

@codegeek : It not hard to find coins from other countries. ))
mshafiq
I am collecting coins.I love to do so.
dude_xyx
I bought three Romain age coins for just $10. But badly damaged.
grofet
I have some old coin from my own country here. I keep a lot of local coins just for fun. Maybe someday i would like to give to my children or grand children with the same hobby.
dude_xyx
Yeah older those coins get more valuable those will be.
johans
not any more..

For frihost coins i think you can never use it.
Serkuuz
in the childhood was fond of
dude_xyx
Recently I found a Copec coin. Not old one or valuable one. It's the Russian equivalent to cent.