FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Photon Quantum Computers

jwellsy
There are several articles out today about a photon based quantum computer chip.
http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/2010/09/17/quantum-computing-chips-reality/
speeDemon
jwellsy wrote:
There are several articles out today about a photon based quantum computer chip.
http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/2010/09/17/quantum-computing-chips-reality/

Wow, that really would be an exciting advancement over today's computers! Seems that there is a lot to come in the future... I always felt that humans have advanced so much that there are hardly any more places to improvise in and make something 'new', but obviously I was wrong, we still have a lot to innovate and invent.
Flakky
My nephew is really exited about this though I often don't know what he is talking about Smile
fukara
very cool
deanhills
How does it work with light? What kind of light does it have to be? Embarassed Would it mean if one turned on a light in the room where the computer is housed, that it would automatically turn on?
Flakky
deanhills wrote:
How does it work with light? What kind of light does it have to be? Embarassed Would it mean if one turned on a light in the room where the computer is housed, that it would automatically turn on?
I think instead of electricity sending data towards other parts it would all consist of light as light is faster than electricity. This is my guess Wink
deanhills
Flakky wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I think instead of electricity sending data towards other parts it would all consist of light as light is faster than electricity. This is my guess Wink
Ahhh ... now that does make sense, but would that mean different cabling then, and where would the light originate from?
Flakky
deanhills wrote:
Flakky wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Ahhh ... now that does make sense, but would that mean different cabling then, and where would the light originate from?
Sorry, no clue :/
ocalhoun
Flakky wrote:
deanhills wrote:

[citation needed]
Is light through a solid medium faster than electricity through a solid medium?

The more important thing would likely be that light passing through highly transparent material would generate less heat than electricity passing through gold/copper.

I don't think they've developed any light-based equivalents for transistors and diodes yet though... That would be a crucial step towards computing with light.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I don't think they've developed any light-based equivalents for transistors and diodes yet though... That would be a crucial step towards computing with light.
Probably a complete revolution, equivalent maybe from moving to fibre-optic a number of years ago. Would be fun however. Do you think you would be able to build something like that ahead of time?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Do you think you would be able to build something like that ahead of time?

Frankly, no. It would require an in-depth knowledge of quantum mechanics that I don't have.
standready
Very interesting. I remember reading an article about using fiber-optics to move information between chips rather than the 'slow' printed circuit boards but this new chip - cool. Still much 'interface work to be done.