FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Strangest thing you've ever eaten?

LittleBlackKitten
What's the weirdest thing you've ever had the pleasure of tasting? Did you like it, or will you never touch it again?

I think what takes the cake for me being the strangest thing ever eaten has to be a peanut butter and cheese sandwich - and its the best thing I've ever had! Try it!
Bluedoll
I had to really search my memory for that one! Ok, I ended up with artic chokes. I don’t know if you have tasted them but I would discribe it like eating wood potatoes, I guess. The giver of the food like the name, only slightly smiled and said, “well they are high in iron” etc.

Will we try this again for our good health? I think, I like butter more than the choke.
missdixy
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
What's the weirdest thing you've ever had the pleasure of tasting? Did you like it, or will you never touch it again?

I think what takes the cake for me being the strangest thing ever eaten has to be a peanut butter and cheese sandwich - and its the best thing I've ever had! Try it!

What kind of cheese are we talking about here? Like cheese slices? Or something like whiz cheese, or velveeta cheese melted?

As fro my answer...the strangest thing I've ever eaten was pork rinds. Yuckk!!!!
deanhills
I think one gets that kind of "taste" in processed cheese crackers with peanut butter filling, and I have to agree, those are quite yummy. I used to live on those when I was travelling on a low budget. I was able to get them from those dispensing machines at the motels and that was good value for me for an easy meal replacement.
Asap170
When I was on my 7 day cruise in the Caribbean when we went for dinner you could only get certain food. Not your normal hamburger or chicken fingers. So I was looking over the menu and I have never eaten anything on the menu before. Finally, at the last minute I decided I was gonna have duck. It turns out that I really enjoy having duck. If I had the choice to eat it again I would definitly say "Yes."
Vrythramax
missdixy wrote:
...the strangest thing I've ever eaten was pork rinds. Yuckk!!!!

Oh you are such a lightweight! They are rather bland bar snacks. For myself .. while visiting Aiseag à Chorrain (near Loch Ailort) in Scotland (forgive me, hailing, from Béal Feirste I am not familiar with the Gàidhlig translation), was traditional Haggis.

A truly horrific meal that should *never* be consumed while drinking...though I can see no sane reason why someone *not* drinking would put it near thier mouths.
missdixy
Vrythramax wrote:
missdixy wrote:

Oh you are such a lightweight! They are rather bland bar snacks. For myself .. while visiting Aiseag à Chorrain (near Loch Ailort) in Scotland (forgive me, hailing, from Béal Feirste I am not familiar with the Gàidhlig translation), was traditional Haggis.

A truly horrific meal that should *never* be consumed while drinking...though I can see no sane reason why someone *not* drinking would put it near thier mouths.

Ewww. I am totally not ballsy to ever try that. And if I did, I'd have to be pretty drunk haha XD
Vrythramax
missdixy wrote:

Ewww. I am totally not ballsy to ever try that. And if I did, I'd have to be pretty drunk haha XD

Well I must be honest...I wasn't aware of what I was eating, and I was trying to fit in as much as possible...I did not do so well unfortuantly. When I visit those friends now we have to meet on more "common" grounds. Smile
LostOverThere
I had peanut butter and ice cream last night. That was...weird. Alright, so maybe it's not, but for me, who's a "conservative eater", it was pretty extreme.
rickylau
LostOverThere wrote:
I had peanut butter and ice cream last night. That was...weird. Alright, so maybe it's not, but for me, who's a "conservative eater", it was pretty extreme.
Hmm, in my imagination it wouldn't be that weird Laughing This mix sounds pretty good taste for me
LittleBlackKitten
missdixy:
I've tried PB and C with Crunchy only, and have used regular cheddar cheese, mozzarella, cheez whiz, Singles slices, and Philly. The best flavor-wise is cheez whiz cold, and cheddar, nuked in the micro for 45 seconds, add the PB half, DO NOT NUKE PB!!!! and nom the warm melty goodness. Pork rinds wouldn't appetize me but I'd eat them if someone stuck a bag in front of me.

Bluedoll:
Never have and never will TOUCH artichokes! Laughing

Deanhills: Not even close in flavor though lol

Vrythramax:
Eeeeeeeeeew. Another thing I will NEVER touch, ever. Haggis, gag.

LostOverThere: Nuke some smooth PB in the microwave, then put it on the ice cream, then top it off with chocolate sauce and back in the freezer for a couple minutes, and its an orgasm in the mouth. Lol!
ProwerBot
Pepperoni and chocolate!
Vrythramax
ProwerBot wrote:
Pepperoni and chocolate!

What a waste of both!

Now peanut butter flavored ice cream is quite common where I am...it also comes with M&M's and peanut pieces, not particularly my favorite, but is a big seller.
Bikerman
Curried Alpen....Sad
Don't ask...I was a student at the time and there was a packet of Alpen, a tin of curry powder, some milk, and the raging munchies Smile
mtorregiani
Well, it's not strange at all in my country, but anyway.
one of the worse things I've ever tasted was the white botifarra. That thing is just grose... and it's even worse to watch how is being made Shocked
LittleBlackKitten
Bikerman:
Two questions...What is alpen? As in the TREE? And, did it taste good? Laughing

Vrythramax:
While PB icecream itself is common, specifically adding PB at home on purpose is admittedly an odd idea, for those who have never done so. Also, Pepperoni and Chocolate is no stranger than bacon and chocolate...

Mtorregiani:
What's botifarra?
Bikerman
Alpen is a breakfast cereal - oat flakes, dried fruit etc. It tasted absolutely vile....but I ate it anyway Smile
Helios
Ate a cockroach twice actually, by mistake too. Talking about those nasty roaches that hide in your walls. On both occasions a roach stealthy sneaked into an open bag of snacks and I somehow managed to get it into my mouth. It's very bitter, but doesn't leave any super-nasty taste afterwards. Didn't even brush my teeth, wasn't that bad.
Vrythramax
Helios wrote:
Ate a cockroach twice actually, by mistake too. Talking about those nasty roaches that hide in your walls. On both occasions a roach stealthy sneaked into an open bag of snacks and I somehow managed to get it into my mouth. It's very bitter, but doesn't leave any super-nasty taste afterwards. Didn't even brush my teeth, wasn't that bad.

Bah...cockroaches have no real flavor...it's a texture thing you have you get over...earthworms...now there's something to overcome. Smile

@Bikerman...that just sounds like *maybe* you smoked too much Laughing

EDIT: I'd like to go on record as stating that Helios is very fond of raw meat. He was even chastised once on IRC for threatening to eat one of the users Very Happy
nam_siddharth
The strangest thing I have ever eat is cow beef. I will never try it again.
deanhills
Helios wrote:
Apparently cockroaches are a delicacy in China ..... Laughing

Check out the other delicacies in a menu of insects on the sidebar of the show. Shocked
rickylau
deanhills wrote:
Helios wrote:

Check out the other delicacies in a menu of insects on the sidebar of the show. Shocked
Hmm... Maybe it is in some of populations / cuisines in China, I've never heard that for China... Instead I remembered that somewhere in Asia (not too sure which country is, but not China I remembered) there's a restaurant offering frozen insects.
loyal
LittleBlackKitten wrote:

An Iraqi delicacy is "paacha". The head of a sheep or goat. With perhaps the stomach or intestines or something like that. Seriously. You get to eat the tongue, cheek, brain, and much weirder parts of the head. I was surprised to see a wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacha_(food)

Did I enjoy it? Not really. It doesn't taste that nice, I personally think. I'll stick to beef.

Peace.
Helios
deanhills wrote:
Helios wrote:

Yeah well there are different species of cockroaches. Maybe some are good to eat and even tasty for some people. The stuff that crawls on your flood probably isn't tasty at all, and on top of that filled with bacteria and who knows what else...

loyal, maybe it has something to do with tradition... you know, like internals of an animal will amplify certain qualities in your or whatever... I'm just guessing.
coolclay
Yea, this is my kind of post!
I guess you could say I eat some "odd" things at least according to US standards. I have eaten many species of insects prepared many different ways, let's see if I can list everything.
Slightly normal fare including crickets, grasshoppers, worms, and cicadas. Some not so common fare including dobsonfly larvae, mayfly larvae, mayflies, ants, grubs, and termites.

Some odd marine organisms such as several species of kelp and algae, sea urchin, sea cucumber, kelp crawlers, krill, and others I can't really think off.

Tons of wild plants and fungi.

Lots of animal organs like gizzards, livers, and hearts from geese, ducks, deer, turkey, grouse, and others. Fish roe is also delicious but not super weird. Oh I had pig brain once too, but that was probably the worse thing I have ever had.

People don't realize how much food is all around them in nature!
mtorregiani
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Mtorregiani:
What's botifarra?

Here's a botifarra.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botifarra

I've tasted the white ones, they're like sausages, similar to Pâté... anyway, it's just disgusting in my opinion...
natilovesmike
Well, I didn't think it was weird but my husband did think it was.

He made pancakes for me and with the left overs the next day I made a chicken sandwich with mayo and tomato...it was SOOOO good!
timothymartin
We got something here called: Rocky Mountain Oysters

Rocky Mountain oysters, also known as prairie oysters, are a North American culinary name for edible offal, specifically Bull or Cow testicles. They are usually peeled, coated in flour, pepper and salt, sometimes pounded flat, then deep-fried. This delicacy is most often served as an appetizer.

It is a well-known novelty dish in parts of the American West and the Canadian Prairies where cattle ranching is prevalent and castration of young animals is common ("prairie oysters" is the preferred name in Canada, where they may be served in a demi-glace, not deep-fried). In Oklahoma and North Texas, they are sometimes called calf fries but only if taken from very young pigs. In Spain and many parts of Mexico they are referred to as "criadillas" and are colloquially referred to as huevos del toro (literally, "bull’s eggs" but huevos is also a Spanish slang term for testicles) in Central and South America. Rocky Mountain oysters are sometimes confused with lamb fries or animelles (lamb testicles), which are served in a manner similar to Rocky Mountain oysters. A few other descriptive terms, such as "cowboy caviar," "Montana tendergroins," or "swinging beef," may be used.

The dish, purportedly cowboy fare, is most commonly found served at festivals, such as the ones in Montana and Phoenix, Arizona, amongst ranching families, or at certain specialty eating establishments and bars. Eagle, Idaho, claims to have the "World's Largest Rocky Mountain Oyster Feed" during its Eagle Fun Days (typically the first weekend in June). Usually this meat product is sold frozen, as it is inconvenient to get them fresh.

The primary goal of testicle removal is not necessarily culinary. Castration in veterinary practice and animal husbandry is common and serves a variety of purposes, including the control of breeding, the growth of skeletal muscle suitable for beef, and temperament alteration.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Yea, this is my kind of post!
I guess you could say I eat some "odd" things at least according to US standards. I have eaten many species of insects prepared many different ways, let's see if I can list everything.
Slightly normal fare including crickets, grasshoppers, worms, and cicadas. Some not so common fare including dobsonfly larvae, mayfly larvae, mayflies, ants, grubs, and termites.

Some odd marine organisms such as several species of kelp and algae, sea urchin, sea cucumber, kelp crawlers, krill, and others I can't really think off.

Tons of wild plants and fungi.

Lots of animal organs like gizzards, livers, and hearts from geese, ducks, deer, turkey, grouse, and others. Fish roe is also delicious but not super weird. Oh I had pig brain once too, but that was probably the worse thing I have ever had.

People don't realize how much food is all around them in nature!
I'm almost certain you would be able to start a recipe book with all of that, and make tons of money? I'd be really interested in the ones for kelp and algae, have to be amazingly healthy for a person? And grasshoppers ..... Smile
LittleBlackKitten
Oh god, how did I know this was going to turn to bugs... Urp. I might've eaten a bug by accident on some lettuce, but, not voluntarily. Probably never will, even if I'm starving to death. I guess that's the Canadian "princess" in me, I suppose, Laughing.

And I know all about Prarie Oysters...I'll never venture enough to try it I think.
coolclay
Unfortunately it's been donehttp://www.amazon.com/Eat---bug-Cookbook-grasshoppers-centipedes/dp/0898159776/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285216236&sr=8-1 Of course I could always write another better one! Unfortunately I already have so many ideas for books, but don't know where to begin to get them designed and published, btw that's a great idea for a topic!

Oh and LittleBlackKitten, you'll like some of these facts http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=98704
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Unfortunately I already have so many ideas for books, but don't know where to begin to get them designed and published, btw that's a great idea for a topic!
Maybe a book on ideas for books? Could be a book that once written could automatically lead to the next books. Think with writing one just has to do it, and get the routine of writing going, not think about it too much. Smile
iman
I'm not really adventurous when it comes to food, so I haven't tried exotic stuff.
But I do try weird pastries.
Recently, I tried something like a banoffee pie, but with spaghetti and white powdery things inside.
I didn't know how to react
D'Artagnan
mtorregiani wrote:
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Mtorregiani:
What's botifarra?

Here's a botifarra.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botifarra

I've tasted the white ones, they're like sausages, similar to Pâté... anyway, it's just disgusting in my opinion...

and i thought they only made those here, silly me... i've like the black ones better... well liked , until i knew they were made of actual blood.

Out here in southern brazil most people are of italian and german decendency, so many dishes/habits are weird and even unhealty. Some people like to eat bread with pig fat, some people like to drink the blood of recently killed livestock (weird weird weird), and there's actualy a soup made of the blood of recently slaughtered ducks... A common dish ate monstly by people with italian ethnicity is Polenta with milk , some of my friends who came from outside the region were surprised by the recipe, which i found completelly normal since i've bean eating this from childhood.

Well i still have to beat the guy who ate a cockroache , but the strangest thing i ever willingly ate were armadillo meat, tastes like pork just with a stronger flaver, and the meat near the carapace riminds me of sea fish...
lightwate
It's not considered strange in our country but the strangest thing i've eaten is probably a balut those are boiled premature duck eggs - as in, the chick is already prematurely formed inside together with the yolk (which is consumed by the chick while it's inside the egg)

I especially like the yolk part, which looks like tuna eggs and taste like eggs regular eggs with a different texture. The chick, it depends. I don't like it at all when a lot of hairs are present haha.
dapopeyoh
I hate garlic. In food, garlic is the worst that can happen to me. The smell, the taste man. It kills me. But the strangest food I have ever eating was rabbit. Rabbit meat is really good. Yummy.
deanhills
dapopeyoh wrote:
I hate garlic. In food, garlic is the worst that can happen to me. The smell, the taste man. It kills me. But the strangest food I have ever eating was rabbit. Rabbit meat is really good. Yummy.
I love garlic. It's one of my favourite foods. So hearing someone saying they hate garlic, sort of sounds strange to me. I love the smell in cooking, but I also love the smell in fresh salads. But it has to be fresh garlic always.

I've never had rabbit. I can't imagine eating rabbit either. Fortunately I'm going through a vegetarian stage, that hopefully will last forever, so may never have to do that either.

If this can qualify as strange, is raw minced steak, called steak tartare. I once ordered that by accident and had to send it back. Can't imagine eating raw steak ever unless I know exactly where it came from and that it has been fed grass instead of grains. For that matter can't imagine eating steak again ever. But if I do eat steak, I like it cooked medium rare.
standready
@Max: Haggis should only be eaten when you are too drunk to know any better.

Me: shark, octopus, cicadas and other insects and many other things and yes even Haggis - once and never ever again! No Rocky Mountain Oysters ever even if the only thing left on the planet to eat.
trung23
This food is not strange but i love it. Have you ever eaten "Banh tom". They called "banh tom" in my country. Maybe it's strange to you. These are few images:

coolclay
What is in banh tom, it looks like shrimp, and potatoes deep fried in batter? Looks delicious!
standready
coolclay wrote:
What is in banh tom, it looks like shrimp, and potatoes deep fried in batter? Looks delicious!

Looks like you are close. according to this article: ravenouscouple.blogspot.com/.../sweet-potato-shrimp-fritters.html that is fried shrimp and sweet potato. Looks good!
trung23
Yes. I don't know how to call it. Maybe the meaning is "shrimp pie". I ate it since i was about 5 years old and this is still one of the most delicious food i've eaten
eneka38
The strangest thing I have ever eaten is a frog. When I was 12, my dad and I went to a chinese restaurant. We ordered rice and soup and unknown to me, the meat in the soup was a frog. But men it tasted good. I wouldn't mind eating it again if I have the chance.
ChrisCh
I don't really go for Yum Cha and other extremely exotic foods... so the strangest thing I've ever eaten would have to be a spring roll made from Kangaroo meat... it was quite good actually! Smile
Lady Elensar
I just realize that I haven't eaten any strange things yet! Except for sand when I was three years old I guess Razz

*wait*

It's not strange to me, but I like bread with cheese and hagelslag (chocolate sprinkles). Most people don't... Just as bread with peanut butter and hagelslag. Cool
Blaster
Considering my location I see nothing wrong with this and love it but most people would say that Scrapple would be nasty. Its pretty much everything left over of a pig. Fry it up and put some ketchup on it and it tastes sooo good.

Most would consider that nasty. Scrapple is only available around my way it seems. You go outside of the tri state area of PA DE and NJ and you pretty much don't ever see it.

In my opinion the strangest thing I've eaten is conch It was pretty good. Not sure if I would eat it everyday but they were selling them in the bahamas so I was told to try it. It was a good choice in my opinion. Still strange to me at least.
deanhills
Lady Elensar wrote:
I just realize that I haven't eaten any strange things yet! Except for sand when I was three years old I guess Razz

*wait*

It's not strange to me, but I like bread with cheese and hagelslag (chocolate sprinkles). Most people don't... Just as bread with peanut butter and hagelslag. Cool
I love hagelslag, and the only ones that really taste decent are the ones from Holland. It used to be a treat when I was a kid. But hagelslag with cheese, that is REALLY different! My grandmom used to eat breakfast cake (honey spice cake) on top of her toast, after she buttered the toast. Now that was weird food for me. I remember I tried it out, and that for me was really spoiling the delicious taste of the breakfast cake. Smile
watersoul
I've eaten a few strange things over the years, I'll try most things once especially if someone else has or I'm sure it's not toxic to me.

In SE Asia, fried Bats on sticks, big fried spiders, and bags of fried bugs but what they were I'm unsure.
In the UK I've eaten bright luminous green furry caterpillars - taste absolutely foul raw - that was a dare I was too stupid to ignore.
While bushcraft camping, raw limpets, seaweed, periwinkles, tadpoles - cooked squirrel, sea-gull, crow (bit tough and boil well as they are carrion eaters), and even a roasted mouse once, but for all the effort, it wasn't much of a mouthful.

If food is prepared and cooked properly, almost anything will give nourishment and I've never been bothered what it is, especially in remote places where the language barrier means sometimes I haven't had a clue what I've eaten, just some dead meaty/offal thing - obviously my normal diet at home is what I buy in regular stores, but if ever in an emergency situation, I've experienced enough to know I wouldn't be too troubled making do with any protein available Smile
toasterintheoven
paper was strange to eat, I think I was trying to kill myself by eating a lot of paper
deanhills
toasterintheoven wrote:
paper was strange to eat, I think I was trying to kill myself by eating a lot of paper
That brings back memories as as a kid I liked to eat cigarette ash and I liked chewing the phosphorus end of matches. They had a nice taste to them ..... Smile
oly0015
When I was a kid and out hunting my dad decided to teach me a lesson and cooked a snake on the grill. Not sure about you folks but it does not taste like chicken Razz. Wasn't horrid but if I can help it that is one experience I would not like to repeat in the future. Although I've heard the worst one to eat is porcupine and it tastes awful no matter how you cook the thing.
Bikerman
Snake is OK - I've eaten it once in Australia. It was a bit like chicken crossed with pork to my tastebuds. Not at all horrible and quite a nice meal - though the one snake we had didn't provide much of a meal for the party of 8.
I've never tried porcupine - it seems to me that cooking and eating one would present some interesting challenges - but I'd certainly give it a try..
wellerchap
Pretty boring I know, but the most adventurous things I've ever eaten were frog's legs & shark steak.......and I bet you could've guessed....BOTH tasted like chicken!!
Very Happy
iman
Banoffee pie!
It's both weird and wonderful.
It's just like eating a lot of 'normal' cakes followed by eating a cheesecake.
PGe-tips
the strangest food I've eaten so far was fried cow stomach (don't know exactly which of the four).
It was in China in a HotPot restaurant. and worst of all is that you need to fry it yourself; in a hotpot filled with boiling water. I also ate spinal bones of cheaps .. just when the mad-cow disease was at it's top here in Europe... did not eat much that evening
LittleBlackKitten
Banoffee pie? Is that like, Coffee flavored Bannock?
cadbrent
Bamboo being fried and added to curry made me feel strange! Confused
prinsloo
I ate dog food as a dare once.
It wasn't that bad, but at least I got ten dollars from it! Very Happy
spinout
in the 70s it was a trend to eat dogfood among the elderly when their "pension" (money support) was not enough to survive on... Laughing true story actully. There was a brand that had, according to rumours, all the basic nutrition for a human to survive on. I think it was called "VOV", means "bark" in Swedish.
spinout
GUESS The strangest meal:

For 5 points:
The meat was mostly consisting of threads, also dry and tasteless.

4 points:
you get in in a "gang" of food...

3 points:
Instead of one big juicy bit of meet you get 2 dry ones...

2 points:
It is everywhere, even in the movies!

1 point:
You have the choice to super size it!!!

answer below:

Answer : A big mac n co...
watersoul
spinout wrote:
in the 70s it was a trend to eat dogfood among the elderly when their "pension" (money support) was not enough to survive on... Laughing true story actully. There was a brand that had, according to rumours, all the basic nutrition for a human to survive on. I think it was called "VOV", means "bark" in Swedish.

That reminded me of eating cat food for a dare when I was younger. It was pretty horrible to be honest and really 'gritty', I could almost imagine the mechanically recovered and ground up carcass complete with bits of bones and cartilage as an extra 'treat'. Yuk!

...if I was starving though, I'd do it again for sure Shocked
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
Me too, but I'd probably use every condiment I can find to mask the taste, put it in a food processor etc. to change the texture and make it look and taste completely different. Smile
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:
Me too, but I'd probably use every condiment I can find to mask the taste, put it in a food processor etc. to change the texture and make it look and taste completely different. Smile
LOL! Definitely, try to make it into a nice pie or something Smile Eww!
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:
LOL! Definitely, try to make it into a nice pie or something Smile Eww!
Reminds me of when we were kids and made mud pies for combat purposes. Did you do that as well? Nothing greater than digging into the mud and seeing it oozing through the fingers. Didn't even thing about mud under the nails either. Or getting completely drenched in the stuff. I'm almost certain if I had been hungry then I would not even have worried about the texture of stuff for eating. Very Happy
chasbeen
DOlphin in Barbados
Tasted like chicken
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
DOlphin in Barbados
Tasted like chicken
Sounds pretty awful. Did you know you were eating dolphin at the time?
chasbeen
No, I was on tour in my army days and we had stopped over in a Barbados Military base on our way out to Dominica to repair hurricane damage for 2 months.

I was eating away when I realised chicken does not normally come in 1 cm cubes. Whats that I asked the cook when I went up for more. Crying or Very sad
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
I was eating away when I realised chicken does not normally come in 1 cm cubes. Whats that I asked the cook when I went up for more. Crying or Very sad
That does sound sad to me. Guess it would stick with me for a long time too ....
Nameless
This isn't very strange compared to some of things in this topic, but my mother used to make this heavily blended/food processed with mince, vegetables and Vegemite. It look liked poop and tasted like vomit. Blech.
chasbeen
Nameless
Is that what she told you?
Nameless
I did watch her prepare it at least once, so yes.
Dennise
Did anyone mention Iguana?

In Bonaire Rincon, Netherlands Antilles, I had it in Iguana soup. The soup had lots of Iguana in it. It tasted OK like VERY bony, but sweet chicken.
CheDragon
Bull blood
emanuel2
The strangest thing I have eaten is a "Helix pomatia" in garlic soup. It felt something like mushroom and bubble gum without any taste of its own.
deanhills
emanuel2 wrote:
The strangest thing I have eaten is a "Helix pomatia" in garlic soup. It felt something like mushroom and bubble gum without any taste of its own.
Checked up on Helix pomatia (just learned a new word Very Happy ) and found it to be the same as escargots, and I agree, I can't understand anybody's fascination with eating snails. Yuck! The garlic I love, the more garlic the better, but snails .... not my thing Very Happy
watertube
Well, we made a drink at school. and we had to eat it lolz xD

it was so thick and had so much in it that we had to eat it :p

and it tasted freaking bad ;/

it was "milkshake" with berries, banana, orange, and nuts!

and milk ofc..

but i nearly puked ffs xD
Aredon
Vrythramax wrote:
missdixy wrote:

Ugh haggis? Just hearing you mention that makes my stomach churn.
drunkenkoz
The weirdest think I've ever ate would be vinegar cucumber salad. The salad basically chokes you when ever you go to eat the cucumber. The taste is great, but the way the vinegar stops you from breathing for a short second is was makes it weird.
deanhills
drunkenkoz wrote:
The weirdest think I've ever ate would be vinegar cucumber salad. The salad basically chokes you when ever you go to eat the cucumber. The taste is great, but the way the vinegar stops you from breathing for a short second is was makes it weird.
I'm not a cucumber fan, but vinegar I love, in basically anything. I especially like a really good wine vinegar. Adds a nice taste to cooking too. So for me this is not a weird taste, just nice. Sometimes it is also nice to add a teaspoon of honey to give it a nice sweet and sour taste.
spinout
elk tounge was strange. also elk heart...

pigeons was strange but good...

eels are good, but fat.
Greatking
snake meat, it seamed like fish but when i had finished eating every body was looking at me quite strangely and they asked so how was it the snake meat, i was like wasn't that fish, and they were like no its snake, since then i have been careful anytime i see anything strange on my plate.
deanhills
Greatking wrote:
snake meat, it seamed like fish but when i had finished eating every body was looking at me quite strangely and they asked so how was it the snake meat, i was like wasn't that fish, and they were like no its snake, since then i have been careful anytime i see anything strange on my plate.
Yuck!!!!! That must have been a dreadful awakening! Apparently one has to be careful too when one visit some of the Asian countries, as they have all kinds of delicacies in terms of "meat" in their dishes. I was completely vegetarian when I was in Thailand for example!
lightwate
One of the weirdest things that i've ever eaten and liked is called the "balut". it's actually a boiled fertilized duck or chicken egg (yes you can see the chick when you crack it open).

I like balut, except when by some bad luck that I get an almost fully developed chick that I almost choke because of it's beak. I don't like it when it's a bit "hairy" lol. It's been used as an eating challenge challenge in FearFactor many times now.
deanhills
lightwate wrote:
One of the weirdest things that i've ever eaten and liked is called the "balut". it's actually a boiled fertilized duck or chicken egg (yes you can see the chick when you crack it open).

I like balut, except when by some bad luck that I get an almost fully developed chick that I almost choke because of it's beak. I don't like it when it's a bit "hairy" lol. It's been used as an eating challenge challenge in FearFactor many times now.
Shocked Shocked That should get a prize in this thread for one of the weirdest things that have been eaten. Yuck! Is this for real though, or just to shock us? Sounds carnivorous? Very Happy
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
lightwate wrote:

Shocked Shocked That should get a prize in this thread for one of the weirdest things that have been eaten. Yuck! Is this for real though, or just to shock us? Sounds carnivorous? Very Happy

I agree, should get a prize for that horrible one. I saw them for sale in Laos and I'm not ashamed to admit I couldn't eat one. Starving hungry, yes of course but otherwise nope Shocked
foumy6
A lot of people consider the sandwhich I get at subway to be weird. I get a teriakki chicken on flat bread with green peppers, banana peppers, and jalepenos with chipolte southwest sauce its is very yummy lol
ProwerBot
Vrythramax wrote:
ProwerBot wrote:
Pepperoni and chocolate!

What a waste of both!

Now peanut butter flavored ice cream is quite common where I am...it also comes with M&M's and peanut pieces, not particularly my favorite, but is a big seller.

Pepperoni and chocolate is actually not even that bad. It's not like they mix with eachtoher it just tastes like you're eating both of them.
ankitdatashn
I had a habit of eating the bricks and the mortar of the sides of the small storeroom we have on our stairs, I can still recall that tasty taste Smile
foumy6
hmmmm I dont know a lot of people I know thing its strange that i eat mac and chesse mixed with tuna
GoldenEagle
I had a lolipop with a cricket embedded in it before. I ate the cricket. It tasted a little like grass but ultimately not too bad. It was a nice unami taste to complement the sweetness of the taffy. YUM.
menino
In Thailand, there is a fruit, and I cannot recollect the name. I'm not sure if it is called dragon fruit, or what the actual name is in thai.
The inside of the fruit is yellowish, and when you smell it, it actually smells like garbage, and I could not understand how people could eat it.
But I took a sample of it, and closed my nose while eating it.
Guess what - it actually had a sweet taste to it, but in a small while, you think your eating garbage, coz I think the smell permeates around in your nostrils, coz I could not eat it all, without opening my nose up again. Laughing

But I guess that would be the weirdest thing I've eaten.

I would taste snake, if it came down to it, but batul, which is bird foetus, or even haggis, I dont think I could touch that.
spinout
Yesterday I ate a CALZONE with extra cheese and NO ham. Laughing

That means just a big load of cheeeeeeese in a rolled pizza pie.
chasbeen
For me it was a cube that tasted like chicken.
I enjoyed the meal and wondered where chickens that size existed in Barbados(where I had the meal)
Found out later it was actually baby dolphin.
Josso
I'm not that adventurous, probably a pheasant that we killed.
bukaida
Once during a conference lunch, I had a nice food. It was stuffed potato with lemon, chips and mushroom. Inside the potato, there was liquid cheese. They told me it was some Italian food but I forgot the name. Any idea about the name ? I really liked it as potato is one of my favorites.
chatrack
The strongest and most delicious thinkg i Eat is may be, "Unniyappam" from Sabarimala Temple. Actually it is "Deep Fried Food" in Coconut Oil..so hard but oily tasty.
Minxzie
Frogs legs, blood sausage (blood, buckwheat, onion and bacon), fries in milkshake, chocolate covered ants, pickled grapes, vomit flavored candy, headcheese & studnetz (which is similar but made with pork hock meat rather than cheeks), Blood and tongue, tobiko(flying fish roe commonly in sushi, tastes great but tastes weird if you take a big spoonful on its own)
TheGremlyn
I'm going to have to go with cow tongue. I didn't know it was cow tongue until after I ate it. My mom just made something bit of cow meat and it looked a little different and I think it was probably overcooked as it was pretty tough. I asked my mom a few times what it was but she wouldn't say. She deliberately waited until I was done and then she told me. I looked at her, my eyes going kind of wide with horror and unease. I wasn't sick or anything but I was thinking of all the cows that used to be behind our house in the farmer's field. Whenever you would try to pet them (they were very friendly and they would come right up to the fence to see you) the would always try and lick your hand and arm. So gross.