FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Tornado hits New York?





deanhills
Does anyone know whether New York is prone to tornado attacks, because this has to be an amazing freak storm then. The city is investigating whether it has been hit by a tornado. Tornado warnings had been issued for Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens following a fierce sorm of a very short duration:
Quote:
Residents were awed by the power of the swift storm.

"A huge tree limb, like 25 feet long, flew right up the street, up the hill and stopped in the middle of the air 50 feet up in this intersection and started spinning," said Steve Carlisle, 54. "It was like a poltergeist."

"Then all the garbage cans went up in the air and this spinning tree hits one of them like it was a bat on a ball. The can was launched way, way over there," he said, pointing at a building about 120 feet away where a metal garbage can lay flattened.

Fire officials were inspecting 10 buildings in Brooklyn whose roofs were peeled off or tattered by the wind.

"The wind was holding my ceiling up in the air. It was like a wave, it went up and fell back down," said Ruby Ellis, 58, who was doing dishes in her top-floor kitchen when the storm hit. "After the roof went up, then all the rain came down and I had a flood."

A neighbor in an adjacent building, Julian Amy, said he was sitting in his first-floor apartment when the storm barreled down his street. "I just heard a loud boom," said the 33-year-old. "I thought it was a truck accident."

Residents of the top floors of the buildings were evacuated. A structural engineer was called in to assess the damage.

Investigators planned to spend several hours Friday looking over the area and mapping out the width and intensity of the storm to determine if a tornado touched down, said Kyle Struckmann, a National Weather Service meteorologist.

Source: Yahoo!News
Nick2008
I heard about this, and yes probably a tornado touched down. New York is New York, but fierce storms can still happen during September there. I mean, in September we still got Category 4 hurricanes in the Atlantic, so it's not surprising that something like this can happen too. Is it uncommon? Yes, but is it an amazing freak storm? Probably not. Laughing
ocalhoun
Well, New York certainly isn't in 'tornado alley', but though they're more rare elsewhere, they can happen pretty much anywhere, given the right conditions.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, New York certainly isn't in 'tornado alley', but though they're more rare elsewhere, they can happen pretty much anywhere, given the right conditions.
Right, I was for example completely unaware that Christ Church, New Zealand had potential for an earthquake. Everything is possible anywhere in the world!
gverutes
Yea, it's just a freak occurance and I think the hardest one hit Queens.
michaelhoffman
This is a very rare event. I have lived on both coasts, and I have never seen such an event. Storm gusts up to 60-70 km/h, are generally expected to provide, and cover large areas.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, New York certainly isn't in 'tornado alley', but though they're more rare elsewhere, they can happen pretty much anywhere, given the right conditions.
Right, I was for example completely unaware that Christ Church, New Zealand had potential for an earthquake. Everything is possible anywhere in the world!

Negative.

It is not possible for South Dakota to be hit with a hurricane.
(Or a tsunami, unless it was an apocalyptic world-wide tsunami.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
It is not possible for South Dakota to be hit with a hurricane.
(Or a tsunami, unless it was an apocalyptic world-wide tsunami.)
How can one say for certain that there will never be a hurricane in South Dakota? How can you be that sure? I understand where you are coming from, but would it not be better to use the word "improbable" rather than "impossible"?

Ditto tsunami. Almost zero chance, that I can understand. But I would rather use "improbable" than "impossible" here as well.
ocalhoun
Hurricanes derive their power from warm water... And they are broken up by high mountains, or even trees. All that wind damage you see is the hurricane bleeding off energy as it dies.

South Dakota is surrounded by hundreds of miles of dry land, with mountains on several sides, and it usually isn't even warm. No, there's not really any chance. A once-in-a-century storm might last long enough to give me some rain, but it will certainly won't still qualify as a hurricane by the time it gets here.

Tsunami? Yes, improbable but possible... Even then though, due to the altitude and the distance from water, if a wave gets here, the rest of the world has probably already been hit by it. (except for a few of the tallest mountains, and a few places in the middle of the Asian continent, perhaps)
It would have to be such a wave as to make the one in deep impact look like a ripple.

We still have our vulnerabilities though... Nearly every place does.
We're dangerously close to the Yellowstone super-volcano, and within the outer margins of tornado alley... As well as the several-per-year 'snurricanes' (snow hurricanes), our local word for a savagely powerful blizzard. (Though there's no rotation, so they're not technically hurricanes, even though the winds can get very high.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Hurricanes derive their power from warm water... And they are broken up by high mountains, or even trees. All that wind damage you see is the hurricane bleeding off energy as it dies.

South Dakota is surrounded by hundreds of miles of dry land, with mountains on several sides, and it usually isn't even warm. No, there's not really any chance. A once-in-a-century storm might last long enough to give me some rain, but it will certainly won't still qualify as a hurricane by the time it gets here.
OK, I get it.

ocalhoun wrote:
Tsunami? Yes, improbable but possible... Even then though, due to the altitude and the distance from water, if a wave gets here, the rest of the world has probably already been hit by it. (except for a few of the tallest mountains, and a few places in the middle of the Asian continent, perhaps)
It would have to be such a wave as to make the one in deep impact look like a ripple.
That is what I meant, totally improbable and if something should happen, that would mean all of North America would be under water or something crazy like that.

ocalhoun wrote:
We still have our vulnerabilities though... Nearly every place does.
We're dangerously close to the Yellowstone super-volcano, and within the outer margins of tornado alley... As well as the several-per-year 'snurricanes' (snow hurricanes), our local word for a savagely powerful blizzard. (Though there's no rotation, so they're not technically hurricanes, even though the winds can get very high.)
That super-volcano must be one of the worst case scenarios. Are they prepared for something like that? I remember there was a movie about that a few years ago. Never heard of "snurricanes" before. But that is a possibility though isn't it? The super-volcano being more of a probability?
Blaster
Just as a bit of a tanget to this topic I am a volunteer dispatcher and I dispatch fires and such to peoples phones. Its like a news type thing www.alertpages.net

I actually covered a lot of that storm. It caused many down trees and building collapses. I am from about 2 hours south of New York (or about 20 minutes south of Philadelphia) These storms were really strong that were approaching New York and it caused chaos all up the east coast of PA as well (for people that don't know PA means Pennsylvania. Calling it PA is just a thing that every Pennsylvanian seems to do)

If I recall correctly the storm hit in the queens area. At least thats where most of the calls were comeing from. But even my area has been hit by several tornados. However these tornados are nothing like the movie Twister. Rather these are generally F0 tornados (to see info on tornado scaling visit the following website http://www.tornadoproject.com/fscale/fscale.htm)

Also the following article was from about 20 minutes away from me.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news%2Flocal&id=7692294&ref=nf
watersoul
Sorry I can't report that New York is prone to this or not (long way away from me) but I will say we have Tornado damage even here occasionally on this lil island, and things do get broken sometimes.
Builings/roofs usually but luckily not normally resulting in any deaths.

...just expect them anywhere I guess, and plan appropriately!
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
That super-volcano must be one of the worst case scenarios. Are they prepared for something like that?

How does one prepare for something like that?
You'd have to evacuate half the continent.
Quote:
Never heard of "snurricanes" before. But that is a possibility though isn't it? The super-volcano being more of a probability?

Well, a snurricane is just a bad blizzard, we get a few every year... So they're a LOT more likely than the volcano.
Related topics
tycoon city new york
What basketball team do u support?
Visiting New York: Where to go???
New York City Man Arrested 100th Time
Aircraft hits New York City Building...
Know Things to Do/See/Enjoy in New York City!?
Best Concert Moments/Stories
new york polis mudurunun turk okulu ziyareti
New York
San Diego vs. New England; Green Bay vs. New York
I need little help - are someone from New York here!
New York
Golf Driving Range New York (New York City)
NBA Finals: Lakers or Magic?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Discuss World News

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.