FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

External HD

sonam
Ok I need some suggestions. I would like to buy some external usb hard disc (500-1000Gb) and I would like to install some OS on it but I don't know which one is best. I was read lot of topic about installing xp pro on some external disc but it is looking too complicated. Are there some other OS what I can simple to run on external hard. And one, maybe stupid question - when I install some OS on external HD can I boot this HD on any computer or only on computer what support usb boot.

Sonam

BTW, I am think about IQ1 HD Rolling Eyes
Jean-Clod
Forget about XP, Linux rocks, especially on an external HDD
something like Ubuntu, or, if you are a bit more tech-savvy, Fedora, would be really great and straightforward to install

Also, try to make a large partition in FAT/FAT32, so that you can store your documents/files on that one, and read those on XP (when you plug your HDD as a normal external HDD) and on Linux (when you boot from the HDD)

You can only boot on a computer supporting USB boot (or you could disassemble the HDD, and connect it to your mobo using SATA/IDE, but that's not advised Razz)
but if you create that files partition, in FAT32, you can use your HDD as a normal HDD, recognized on every computer when you simply plug it.
sonam
Thanks for your reply. I would like to use external like main disc not just for storage. Maybe I can create virtual machine. But it is question how this VM work when I just plug in USB.

Sonam
dude_xyx
I would like to try same. I have 2 Toshiba 320 Portable Hard Disks. I want to create 2 partitions in one of them and install Ubuntu. How do I create 2 partitions in a portable hard disk ?
Fire Boar
The same way you would create two partitions on an internal hard disk: open up a partitioning utility and use it. The Ubuntu install disk has Gnome Partition Editor (GPartEd) or the installer's own partitioner... to start GPartEd press Alt+F2 and type (without quotes) "gksudo gparted".
sonam
OK, back to win... The problem is some programs what I used and I need for my work. But this programs suport only Windows. I am thinking about virtual machine. Rolling Eyes

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.aspx

Sonam